Bored with my games and kinda wanna go old school..

So yeah, outside of Call of Duty im bored as shit with every current gen game I own and even cod gets irritating after awhile so Ive been itching to play one of the Final Fantasys I own but have yet to play/beat so Im hoping i can get some opinions on which one is more enjoyable.

Ive beaten all of the ones starting at 7 and after, 11 excluded. I own 4,5 and 6 via Chronicles and Anthology so I really want to play one of those so anyone whos played them all or even just 1 maybe tell me wha tyou liked/ disliked about them?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I keep hearing that VI is the best in the entire series so that'd be a good way to start things off. Or start from IV and work your way to VI.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Personally, I feel 4 is the best FF out there.

It has a complete package of great story, great characters, and great music. (arguably the best in the series) Cecil and Kain are two of the best characters ever, imo. Not sure if your version has the bonus dungeon the GBA port had, but it's also a great sidequest for when you beat the main game.

Haven't played 5 or 6, but I'm thinking of playing the GBA ports myself.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as it is just my opinion after all.

In my personal, biased opinion, I would say that 6 > 5 > 4.

6 is absolutely wonderful in almost all respects. The characters (which all manage to be different but useful in battle with the exception of one or two), story, etc are all solid to great, and it has what I feel is the best FF soundtrack. The way you're given the freedom to do whatever you want after a certain point in the game (ie you can challenge the final boss, or try and get stronger, which you'll probably want to do) is something I'm also a huge fan of. The one problem is the difficulty level - there are certainly points that will challenge you, but the game overall is just too easy. I've heard of ROM patches that make things harder, and I actually intend to try one out fairly soon, though.

5 is lacking in terms of story and characters compared to 6, but the job system is awesome and allows for a ton of customization.

4 has a better story and more interesting characters than 5, but the battle system is a lot less fun. You're given very little options on how you can develop your characters, and on top of that, you have very few choices as to which party members you can use at any point in time.

If I had to throw in FF 1 and 2 into the mix, it would probably go 6 > 5 > 4 > 1 > 2. Haven't played 3.

Anyways, also try Chrono Trigger, it's another good old-school RPG and is included in FF chronicles so you should already have access to it (if you can, get a ROM, though. The chronicles version of CT is horribly laggy).

6 is recommended for gameplay and customisation. I like 4 for the story and characters, but I hate using like three characters at a time, and even one who dies before getting even near useful.

I would say 6>4>5 actually (this is based on the GBA ports). As mentioned above, 6 has an excellent non-linear story as well as solid character development (especially considering the number of playable characters).

Four is also very solid as far as story goes, and the variety in the environments makes it feel quite epic. The extra dungeon in the GBA port, Lunar Ruins, can be slightly frustrating due to the randomisation of some sections, and having to get out, change characters, go back in again, but is still a terrific addition to the game.

The only reason to play 5 IMO is the job system. The storyline falls quite flat compared to 4 and 6, and how can you take a character called Bartz seriously?

Honestly, just play 4 and 6.

I did play Chrono Trigger, dunno why I never bothered with the FF games on it.

9 Is one of my favorite games ever and I loved 8 for the story but the draw system blew.

Looks like I'll try 6 since it seems to be the most popular for story,thanks guys

I played 4 quite a while ago, and it was a phenomenal game, then I played 5 and got 7/8 of the way through it, then my Ds was stolen, still it was a great game. Then I started 6 got an hour into and it just all felt to familiar, I was too saturated with FF games, so I still remain 2 hours into the game, im sure its good, and I plan on beating it one day.

As it stands now I say 4 is a game you must play in your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)