Biggest sports upsets?

Today, Rafael Nadal, the King of Clay, lost at his home turf at the French Open to Robert Soderling.

I was completely shocked when I found this out. I think this might be one of the biggest upsets in sports history. I suppose Giants>Patriots in 07 was pretty big though. But I think Nadal's loss is still bigger.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
The great team Barcelona lost to the mexican team America in a championship i cant really remember. It was one of the bigest upsets in Barcelona lol

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
as an mma fan, I will say Matt Serra beating Georges St-Pierre.

That was a real shocker, especially for a huge gsp fan like myself.

It made my sad that Nadal lost as well.
Are you kidding me, that totally made my day!
Along with whole Paris, when they showed the results of that match on the other courts every stadium was shouting and applausing xDD

Funny that from all the players, it was Soderling who beat Nadal. Because especially Soderling and a lot of the other players as well, are annoyed by Nadal's 'rituals', touching his pants and socks before every point, that it takes ages before he's ready. Very annoying for some players their concentration.

I cannot disagree however, that Rafael Nadal is one of most sportive players of the tennis tour.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
It has to be the miracle on ice. The timing of us beating the soviets was perfect politically too, and I actually just wrote a paper on the historical importance of that game along with the Flyers victory over the soviets.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How about Brawn GP in Formula 1 currently? After 2 years in the wilderness with god awful cars, and almost falling out of the sport entirely, they are managing to win races and quite possibly the championship this year.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Boise State over Oklahoma seemed to surprise almost everyone in the Fiesta Bowl...

Also, even more recently, Giants over Patriots in the Super Bowl.

Really hard to pick one great one with so many amazing upsets. Both in single games and over a season, 1969 Mets and 1914 Braves come to mind.

In more recent times, my favorite upset was Georgia winning the SEC Tournament in Men's basketball, especially after winning one in OT, and 2 in one day.

Other notables that I remember and like :
Warriros over Mavs
Colorado's World Series Run
Oilers Cup Final Run
Giants over Patriots
Canada losing to Italy in Baseball

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Biggest upset- New York Giants defeat the then-undefeated New England Patriots thanks to a miracle catch by David "Who?" Tyree in a last minute drive, after New England stormed down the field to take the lead late in the 4th quarter.

Second biggest upset- The Boston Red Sox, down 3 games to 0 and losing in the bottom of the 9th of game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, facing the best closer in the history of baseball...they come back to tie the game, win it in the 12th, then miraculously win the next three games to advance to and win the world series. The biggest comeback in sports history.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)