Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

I'm not even sure where to begin. For starters no HP on Zapdos and Bisharp can't be a good idea, and if youre not gonna invest in SpD on Zapdos I don't get the point of a Calm nature-might as well go Modest cuz your EVs are in SpA.

Ludicolo doesn't like to set its own rain(so Zapdos should have the Damp Rock,) and RainDish doesn't really work with this gen's new mechanics on whether.

If this is regular BSD Kyogre is banned, and if this is VGC then you get to use two legends, so you want another.

The moves on Bisharp don't look very good, at least Psycho Cut doesn't. Assurance may be viable, but I don't kno.

There are prolly a few other things, but the biggest one I see is no mega. Even if this is VGC, Kyogre doesn't count as a mega, so you could have Megamence or something.

Umm, I hope that doesn't seem too harsh or anything. It's just this team isn't viable(quite literally if Kyogre is banned.)
No your fine, I'm new to double battles this year and I'm happy to get any advice.

No your fine, I'm new to double battles this year and I'm happy to get any advice.
You need to decide on whether you want to do VGC or Battle Spot Doubles. They're different.

To be honest, I would forget VGC. Then rip the team up and start over. If you want to do a rain team then you can start with Politoed. Then pick a swift swimmer or two.

Your best bet would be to find a sample team from one of the threads in this section.

You need to decide on whether you want to do VGC or Battle Spot Doubles. They're different.

To be honest, I would forget VGC. Then rip the team up and start over. If you want to do a rain team then you can start with Politoed. Then pick a swift swimmer or two.

Your best bet would be to find a sample team from one of the threads in this section.
I was looking at politoed earlier, the only issue is that my X and Y game cartridge is broken and I can't get a poliwag or poliwhirl anywhere in oras

I was looking at politoed earlier, the only issue is that my X and Y game cartridge is broken and I can't get a poliwag or poliwhirl anywhere in oras
If you PM me I'll trade you a battle ready Politoed.

It won't do you much good in VGC '16 though, so hopefully it's Battle Spot Doubles you're interested in.

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
Level: 50
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Serious Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Serious Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Discharge

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 5 SpD / 223 Spe
Serious Nature
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Leech Seed

Porygon-Z @ Chople Berry
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 210 HP / 250 SpA / 12 SpD / 36 Spe
Serious Nature
- Tri Attack
- Psychic
- Protect
- Hyper Beam

Dragonite @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
Level: 56
EVs: 240 HP / 246 SpA / 22 Spe
Serious Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Tail
- Heat Wave

Meowstic @ Focus Sash
EVs: 230 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 6 Spe
Serious Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Psychic
- Fake Out
- Protect

Last edited by a moderator:
cant say It's 6 mons, should be in RMT section no?

Anyway, this just popped into mind and I'd love to see what people think about with this. As usual this is 100% BSD.
Idk if anyone remembers, but I've been periodically theorymonning a Mega Salamence + Mega Metagross core for a while now. I just ran into a Japan Sand team (appearently they still exist) that for some reason ding'd a bell in my brain.

Could MegaMetaMencetm be used as part of a larger Japan Sand team (can explain archetype if needed), or perhaps as part of the Rain balance teams that were the reactionary archetype to Japan Sand. Something like:

TTar / Mence-M / Metagross-M / Azumarill / Thundurus-I / Excadrill for Sand;
Toed / Mence-M / Metagross-M / Ludicolo / Sylveon / Terrakion for Rain

HAstily thrown together but I think we get the point.

tl;dr MegaMetaMencetm built into a Rain/Sand archetype that supports both, mostly Mence, if anybody wants to storm ideas with me on that.

Hi guys I was just wondering if I could get some help preparing a battle spot singles team. First time posting so I hope this is in the right place
What iv got so far:
Aegislash @ weakness policy
Shadow ball
Flash cannon
Shadow sneak
Kings sheild

Mega mence @ salamancite
Earthquake
Return
Dragon claw
Dragon dance

Thundurus incarnate @ ?
Taunt
Thunderbolt
Sludge wave (for fairies)
?

Hippowdon @ rocky helmet
Stealth rock
Earthquake
Yawn
Slackoff

Heatran @ ?
?
Iv chosen heatran to take an ice beam since thundrus, salamence and hippowdon are really weak to it.

Im not sure about my last member
And im not really sure what nature and evs I was just going to copy smogon standard ones. Thanks for all help in advance :)

Hi guys I was just wondering if I could get some help preparing a battle spot singles team. First time posting so I hope this is in the right place
What iv got so far:
Aegislash @ weakness policy
Shadow ball
Flash cannon
Shadow sneak
Kings sheild

Mega mence @ salamancite
Earthquake
Return
Dragon claw
Dragon dance

Thundurus incarnate @ ?
Taunt
Thunderbolt
Sludge wave (for fairies)
?

Hippowdon @ rocky helmet
Stealth rock
Earthquake
Yawn
Slackoff

Heatran @ ?
?
Iv chosen heatran to take an ice beam since thundrus, salamence and hippowdon are really weak to it.

Im not sure about my last member
And im not really sure what nature and evs I was just going to copy smogon standard ones. Thanks for all help in advance :)
Well, not considering EVs and stuff the first thing I see is Return and Dragon Claw are kind of weird on Mence. It's Double-Edge is so strong you typically want that. The recoil is unpleasant, but manageable. Dragon Claw is outclassed of most things by Outrage. The locking effect is unfortunate, but keep in mind Mence doesn't even need a Dragon STAB.

Taunt is umm good. Got confused thinking Therian. Thund-I is somehow easier to understand I think and faster to type.

Anyways, you really don't need Sludge Wave at all. It's not a good move on Thund, and you deal very well with fairies. More over there are t that many fairies to begin with, and Azu re from electric STAB and Mawile and Klefki are immune to poison. T-Wave is pretty much mandatory on Thund-I. The only possible exception is Toxic Thund. As for the last move it should be HP Ice, especially since you have no ice coverage.

Hippo looks good. Other things you can try, but that's more or less the standard.

Heatran likes Leftovers and Choice Specs. Air Balloon is also pretty good. Moves you want Flash Cannon I imagine. Good in general and you're paranoid about fairies lol. Fire STAB is Ofc mandatory. You got lots of options there. Most common one is Magma Storm, I think that's best on specially defensive sets with Leftovers. Overheat I like on Specs sets, tho depending on what you have to kill the power may be excessive. Fire Blast and Flamethrower are power vs accuracy, tho on defensive sets you want the latter' higher PP(well, you always want that, but if you're stalling it's more important.) Lava Plume is really good to and compliments specially defensive Tran well.

The ability Tran should have is Flash Fire. Flame Body is less easy to take advantage of since you have to get hit by a contact move and even then it's just a 30% chance to burn and Ofc fire types are still immune. Other moves can vary a lot. If you're going specially defensive you want Toxic, a fire move, Protect, and Sub. For other sets Earth Power and Ancientpower are good. Occasionally there's use for Taunt, WoW, Stealth Rock, a Hidden Power, or Rock Tomb. Other stuff is mostly weird.

You don't seem to deal well with Mamo at all. Greninja is not kind to you either. Suicune is generally good against both of those, but Gras Knot is on lots of Gren and deals a lot if you lack CM boost. You'd prolly want something with fighting and/ or rock coverage too, since you don't have the first and only rock damage is SR. You also lack grass coverage which can be bad against Rotom-W and Swampert in particular.

Hope that helped, and welcome to Smogon:)

Well, not considering EVs and stuff the first thing I see is Return and Dragon Claw are kind of weird on Mence. It's Double-Edge is so strong you typically want that. The recoil is unpleasant, but manageable. Dragon Claw is outclassed of most things by Outrage. The locking effect is unfortunate, but keep in mind Mence doesn't even need a Dragon STAB.

Taunt is umm good. Got confused thinking Therian. Thund-I is somehow easier to understand I think and faster to type.

Anyways, you really don't need Sludge Wave at all. It's not a good move on Thund, and you deal very well with fairies. More over there are t that many fairies to begin with, and Azu re from electric STAB and Mawile and Klefki are immune to poison. T-Wave is pretty much mandatory on Thund-I. The only possible exception is Toxic Thund. As for the last move it should be HP Ice, especially since you have no ice coverage.

Hippo looks good. Other things you can try, but that's more or less the standard.

Heatran likes Leftovers and Choice Specs. Air Balloon is also pretty good. Moves you want Flash Cannon I imagine. Good in general and you're paranoid about fairies lol. Fire STAB is Ofc mandatory. You got lots of options there. Most common one is Magma Storm, I think that's best on specially defensive sets with Leftovers. Overheat I like on Specs sets, tho depending on what you have to kill the power may be excessive. Fire Blast and Flamethrower are power vs accuracy, tho on defensive sets you want the latter' higher PP(well, you always want that, but if you're stalling it's more important.) Lava Plume is really good to and compliments specially defensive Tran well.

The ability Tran should have is Flash Fire. Flame Body is less easy to take advantage of since you have to get hit by a contact move and even then it's just a 30% chance to burn and Ofc fire types are still immune. Other moves can vary a lot. If you're going specially defensive you want Toxic, a fire move, Protect, and Sub. For other sets Earth Power and Ancientpower are good. Occasionally there's use for Taunt, WoW, Stealth Rock, a Hidden Power, or Rock Tomb. Other stuff is mostly weird.

You don't seem to deal well with Mamo at all. Greninja is not kind to you either. Suicune is generally good against both of those, but Gras Knot is on lots of Gren and deals a lot if you lack CM boost. You'd prolly want something with fighting and/ or rock coverage too, since you don't have the first and only rock damage is SR. You also lack grass coverage which can be bad against Rotom-W and Swampert in particular.

Hope that helped, and welcome to Smogon:)
Thanks for the reply so my heatran set could be:
Heatran @ leftovers/air balloon
Flash cannon
Lava plume (for the burn as I plan on running a spdef nature + evs)
Stealth rock
Dark pulse/earthpower/taunt? Not sure about this final move
My thund-I set:
Thund-I @ life orb
Thunder bolt
Taunt
Thunder wave
Grass knot (have already caught thundurus and it has hp dragon :( )
Salamence Salamencite
Dragon dance
Double edge
Earthquake
Outrage/brick break
As for my last pokemon would suicune suffice or do I need to find something that isnt weak to grass? Its a bit crazy but could a specially defensive scizor with assault vest work as a special tank for my team and as a counter for mamoswine?
My last question is, do I need shadow sneak on aegi or can I swap it for sacred sword for the fighting coverage and run outrage on sala?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply so my heatran set could be:
Heatran @ leftovers/air balloon
Flash cannon
Lava plume (for the burn as I plan on running a spdef nature + evs)
Stealth rock
Dark pulse/earthpower? Not sure about this final move
I was toying with the idea of an assault vest heatran but I dont think he has enough good attack moves to warrant it. What do you think?
My thund-I set:
Thund-I @ life orb
Thunder bolt
Taunt
Thunder wave
Grass knot (have already caught thundurus and it has hp dragon :( )
Salamence Salamencite
Dragon dance
Double edge
Earthquake
Outrage/brick break
As for my last pokemon would suicune suffice or do I need to find something that isnt weak to grass?
My last question is, do I need shadow sneak on aegi or can I swap it for sacred sword for the fighting coverage and run outrage on sala?
That looks about right on Tran. I'd go Air Balloon and Earth Power for the last slot. AV is its 4th most used item, and it seems viable to me. Not sure if it's good tho, but worth trying.

If you're using LO that means Thund wants a Timid nature. You can get a flawless HP Ice Timid one for free on here, so look for one of those so you can have HP Ice. Grass Knot is ok too, but only if you feel like grass weak stuff like Mamo is more trouble than ice weak stuff like Chomp and Mence.

Salamence looks fine, definitely Outrage over Brick Break.

Suicune seems good for the last slot. Notably leaves you a little weak to enemy Thundurus-I, but nothing is perfect. Why do you ask about a grass weakness? Your team has 4 resists and 2 of those are 4x resists, you can definitely afford another grass weakness.

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate fighting coverage is an absolute must. At least not to the point where you should have Brick Break on Sala(or anything really.) I think you should get rid of Flash Cannon on Aegi for Sacred Sword. It's the least used move that yours has, and Heatran provides steel coverage already, not that steel is even very good coverage.

That makes it so your Aegi has two physical attacks and only one special one, so a Brave nature is prolly better than the much more common Quiet. You could also change Shadow Ball for Shadow Claw and go Adamant.

That looks about right on Tran. I'd go Air Balloon and Earth Power for the last slot. AV is its 4th most used item, and it seems viable to me. Not sure if it's good tho, but worth trying.

If you're using LO that means Thund wants a Timid nature. You can get a flawless HP Ice Timid one for free on here, so look for one of those so you can have HP Ice. Grass Knot is ok too, but only if you feel like grass weak stuff like Mamo is more trouble than ice weak stuff like Chomp and Mence.

Salamence looks fine, definitely Outrage over Brick Break.

Suicune seems good for the last slot. Notably leaves you a little weak to enemy Thundurus-I, but nothing is perfect. Why do you ask about a grass weakness? Your team has 4 resists and 2 of those are 4x resists, you can definitely afford another grass weakness.

Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate fighting coverage is an absolute must. At least not to the point where you should have Brick Break on Sala(or anything really.) I think you should get rid of Flash Cannon on Aegi for Sacred Sword. It's the least used move that yours has, and Heatran provides steel coverage already, not that steel is even very good coverage.

That makes it so your Aegi has two physical attacks and only one special one, so a Brave nature is prolly better than the much more common Quiet. You could also change Shadow Ball for Shadow Claw and go Adamant.
Awesome thank you for all your help :D

Alright, I'm gonna try getting into battle spot again. I've decided to build around Mega Salamence.

What are some good teammates for Mega Salamence? And, when I have a secondary mega, do I make sure the additional teammates synergize well with Mega Salamence too? And finally, what are some good megas that synergize well with Salamence?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Alright, I'm gonna try getting into battle spot again. I've decided to build around Mega Salamence.

What are some good teammates for Mega Salamence? And, when I have a secondary mega, do I make sure the additional teammates synergize well with Mega Salamence too? And finally, what are some good megas that synergize well with Salamence?
Some good teammates based on usage stats are:
  • Mamoswine mostly because it checks Thundurus. It also uses Stealth Rock to break sashes and stuff. It also weakens things like Mawile and Aegislash to make it easier for Mence to sweep.
  • Ferrothorn is another good partner that uses Stealth Rock. Ferro checks things that give mence trouble like Thundurus, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Suicune as well as some Fairy-types.
  • Rotom-W checks most other Water-types and can beat Hippowdon and cripple Cresselia with Trick. Defensive sets can make it easier for mence to set up with WoW support.
  • Sylveon helps break down most physical walls and also has good type synergy with mence. Its special bulk is helpful for switching into Ice Beams.
  • Excadrill and Tyranitar are also fairly common partners. Mence helps the other two beat Grass-types while they can beat most Steel-types. I believe this core often uses a special Salamence though.
  • Aegislash has really good type synergy with Salamence and also gives a solid check to Cresselia and most fairy-types.
  • Volcarona can form a very powerful dual set up sweeper core with Salamence. There was a teambuilding thing with Volcarona a few months ago and most teams were Salamence+Volcarona.
I don't usually use dual mega with Salamence but I could see Gengar working since it beats a lot of threats to Salamence. I would try to have the whole team have good Psynergy but I think one teammate that doesn't work well with mence could work (only things I can think of that would be really bad are Lando and Chomp).

• Mamoswine mostly because it checks Thundurus. It also uses Stealth Rock to break sashes and stuff. It also weakens things like Mawile and Aegislash to make it easier for Mence to sweep.
  • Ferrothorn is another good partner that uses Stealth Rock. Ferro checks things that give mence trouble like Thundurus, Rotom-W, Cresselia, and Suicune as well as some Fairy-types.
  • Rotom-W checks most other Water-types and can beat Hippowdon and cripple Cresselia with Trick. Defensive sets can make it easier for mence to set up with WoW support.
  • Sylveon helps break down most physical walls and also has good type synergy with mence. Its special bulk is helpful for switching into Ice Beams.
  • Excadrill and Tyranitar are also fairly common partners. Mence helps the other two beat Grass-types while they can beat most Steel-types. I believe this core often uses a special Salamence though.
  • Aegislash has really good type synergy with Salamence and also gives a solid check to Cresselia and most fairy-types.
  • Volcarona can form a very powerful dual set up sweeper core with Salamence. There was a teambuilding thing with Volcarona a few months ago and most teams were Salamence+Volcarona.
I don't usually use dual mega with Salamence but I could see Gengar working since it beats a lot of threats to Salamence. I would try to have the whole team have good Psynergy but I think one teammate that doesn't work well with mence could work (only things I can think of that would be really bad are Lando and Chomp).
Oh, really? Thanks for the advice! Just a question: Hazard removal isn't viable in BSS, is it?

^ Aside from Volcarona, this is all true in Doubles as well. Viridi never did specify what metagame he was even playing but I guess singles was the answer after all. :P
And yes TTar + Exca + Mence (Japan Sand) usually runs Special Mence or a specially based MixMence; keeps Intimidate and WoW from completely invalidating your entire core. I've never seen a DD Mence or fully physical one on the same team as an Excadrill.

Hello guys !

Firstly, I would like to thank cannibal for the help and guidance he provided me with since I joined this community one week ago.

I used to play pokémon from the first version (Blue in my case) until Platinum, I then stopped but always kept up with the new generations (by that I mean the newly released games, pokémons, moves etc...). However, it has been only one month since I started reading about the competitive side of pokémon on this website.

I have been able to master (nah that's a bit exaggerated let's say learn), thanks to people I asked on the showdown BS chat and other threads, about the breeding, hordes training, EV's IV's etc ... But I still don't know what rationale I should follow in order to build my own team.

In respect to team building, so far, I have been following the respective smogon analysis for each pokémon I want to include in my team. Yet, I must admit that I have also been following my personal preferences i.e I always try to build my team around Mega-Sceptile (Sceptile was always my favorite starter, and seeing the double-typing of his mega-evolution is one of the reasons I got back to playing pokémon by buying Omega Ruby version).

Since last week, I have been trying a lot of builds and different team options for mega-sceptile according to the smogon analysis. I will post here the core that I've reached to after testing many different sets on showdown, this core is imo the one that helps me win most of my battles:

Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Detect
- Focus Blast

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

You will notice that the ev spreads I chose are somewhat different than the ones these sets are supposed to have (especially when it comes to heatran and Rotom-W). This is how I run this core:

95% of time I lead with Rotom, Sceptile and Heatran hate all the common metagame sweepers (Kangashkan, Mawyle, Talonflame, Conkeldurr, Breloom...).
Whenver I'm facing a physical sweeper lead (which also happens 80% of the time) I always go for will'o wisp, and then either Pump or switch depending on what I am facing. the 252 Def helps resisting the sweepers in case wisp misses the first time, or if I just need to stall.

Then comes Heatran, Specs with overheat is a bit risky, but hey "with higher risk always comes higher return", This heatran OHKO's kangashkan and many other threats (the fairys with flash cannon) some times even a garchomp switching in can't survive the flash cannon. His 252 HP spread helps him take some hits as well.

After that, Mega sceptile comes as a late game sweeper, mega evolving and finishing off what is left with either leaf storm or dragon pulse, Focus Blast deals with Kangashkan and Tyranitar if the first 2 pokémons couldn't do anything.

Sometimes I have to use Leafstorm or overheat early in the game (when the opposite lead is Azumarill or ferrothorn respectively), I think that's when the 252 Def of Rotom comes in handy because I always switch back to him as a Pivot (to negate the SpA loss).

I would like your ideas about teammates that could do well with this core. But most importantly, I would really appreciate your comments/feedback on this core, and any suggestions for building a team around Mega-Sceptile.

Thank you.

Hello guys !

Firstly, I would like to thank cannibal for the help and guidance he provided me with since I joined this community one week ago.

I used to play pokémon from the first version (Blue in my case) until Platinum, I then stopped but always kept up with the new generations (by that I mean the newly released games, pokémons, moves etc...). However, it has been only one month since I started reading about the competitive side of pokémon on this website.

I have been able to master (nah that's a bit exaggerated let's say learn), thanks to people I asked on the showdown BS chat and other threads, about the breeding, hordes training, EV's IV's etc ... But I still don't know what rationale I should follow in order to build my own team.

In respect to team building, so far, I have been following the respective smogon analysis for each pokémon I want to include in my team. Yet, I must admit that I have also been following my personal preferences i.e I always try to build my team around Mega-Sceptile (Sceptile was always my favorite starter, and seeing the double-typing of his mega-evolution is one of the reasons I got back to playing pokémon by buying Omega Ruby version).

Since last week, I have been trying a lot of builds and different team options for mega-sceptile according to the smogon analysis. I will post here the core that I've reached to after testing many different sets on showdown, this core is imo the one that helps me win most of my battles:

Heatran (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Detect
- Focus Blast

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

You will notice that the ev spreads I chose are somewhat different than the ones these sets are supposed to have (especially when it comes to heatran and Rotom-W). This is how I run this core:

95% of time I lead with Rotom, Sceptile and Heatran hate all the common metagame sweepers (Kangashkan, Mawyle, Talonflame, Conkeldurr, Breloom...).
Whenver I'm facing a physical sweeper lead (which also happens 80% of the time) I always go for will'o wisp, and then either Pump or switch depending on what I am facing. the 252 Def helps resisting the sweepers in case wisp misses the first time, or if I just need to stall.

Then comes Heatran, Specs with overheat is a bit risky, but hey "with higher risk always comes higher return", This heatran OHKO's kangashkan and many other threats (the fairys with flash cannon) some times even a garchomp switching in can't survive the flash cannon. His 252 HP spread helps him take some hits as well.

After that, Mega sceptile comes as a late game sweeper, mega evolving and finishing off what is left with either leaf storm or dragon pulse, Focus Blast deals with Kangashkan and Tyranitar if the first 2 pokémons couldn't do anything.

Sometimes I have to use Leafstorm or overheat early in the game (when the opposite lead is Azumarill or ferrothorn respectively), I think that's when the 252 Def of Rotom comes in handy because I always switch back to him as a Pivot (to negate the SpA loss).

I would like your ideas about teammates that could do well with this core. But most importantly, I would really appreciate your comments/feedback on this core, and any suggestions for building a team around Mega-Sceptile.

Thank you.
Well, I don't think Sceptile is a very good non at all, but I guess if it's your favorite...why tho, it's so ugly lol!?

Anyways, this looks pretty good for a core based around Sceptile. No real reason not to have Heatran to resist a lot of its weaknesses and Rotom-W has grass covered plenty so that's good. Is this doubles or Triples? Otherwise I don't see a reason for Detect on Sceptile and Protect on Rotom.

For EVs, you can take out 8 from Tran's HP and put 4 in each defense. ThAts a point of HP for a point of Def and SpD, so it's bulkier overall.

Other than that looks good:)

Well, I don't think Sceptile is a very good non at all, but I guess if it's your favorite...why tho, it's so ugly lol!?

Anyways, this looks pretty good for a core based around Sceptile. No real reason not to have Heatran to resist a lot of its weaknesses and Rotom-W has grass covered plenty so that's good. Is this doubles or Triples? Otherwise I don't see a reason for Detect on Sceptile and Protect on Rotom.

For EVs, you can take out 8 from Tran's HP and put 4 in each defense. ThAts a point of HP for a point of Def and SpD, so it's bulkier overall.

Other than that looks good:)
Hahaha, Yeah lot of people said to me that he's ugly, still can't understand why I like him (maybe because at least he's the coolest grass type starter, the type I always pick).

No this is actually for singles, The Protect on rotom is mainly for scouting for kangashkan's facade and/or others pokémons I suspect having earthquake or HP Ice (which threatens Heatran and Sceptile respectively). As for the Detect on Sceptile, I find it useful for pokémons I need to first mega evolve before being able to outspeed or at least tie speed with them (Charizard X with 1draco dance or mega beedrill for instance). I also use it sometimes for scouting.

I like the idea about the EV's I'll definitely do it.

And actually, I'm trying to get more experience in BSS before jumping to BSD in which I intend to abuse the Lightning rod/Discharge combo that makes Mega sceptile a hell of a sweeper!!

Thank you for your remarks, I wasn't expecting people to say they like my core (especially when It's the first one I've ever built considering that 30 days ago I didn't even know what IV means ^^)

EDIT:
Question: how about the other 3 pokémons completing the team, all suggestions are welcome :D

Hahaha, Yeah lot of people said to me that he's ugly, still can't understand why I like him (maybe because at least he's the coolest grass type starter, the type I always pick).

No this is actually for singles, The Protect on rotom is mainly for scouting for kangashkan's facade and/or others pokémons I suspect having earthquake or HP Ice (which threatens Heatran and Sceptile respectively). As for the Detect on Sceptile, I find it useful for pokémons I need to first mega evolve before being able to outspeed or at least tie speed with them (Charizard X with 1draco dance or mega beedrill for instance). I also use it sometimes for scouting.

I like the idea about the EV's I'll definitely do it.

And actually, I'm trying to get more experience in BSS before jumping to BSD in which I intend to abuse the Lightning rod/Discharge combo that makes Mega sceptile a hell of a sweeper!!

Thank you for your remarks, I wasn't expecting people to say they like my core (especially when It's the first one I've ever built considering that 30 days ago I didn't even know what IV means ^^)

EDIT:
Question: how about the other 3 pokémons completing the team, all suggestions are welcome :D
I forgot the mega Spe thing and why Protect or Detect might help with that. Doesn't seem completely neccesary since Sceptile is fast, but it at least seems like an option. I disagree with Protect on Rotom-w tho. Scouting isn't really enough of a reason to run it wen its mostly a waste of a move slot.

If you really want Protect, it should be on something that gets use out of it, like Lefties Heatran or something.

AV Conk can be a problem, switching in on WoW to get a Guts boost, and 1v1ing all three mons. Considering that and the fact that it's good in general and has its weaknesses covered for the most part, I think Talonflame would b good.

That leaves you mayb a little weak to Thund, so I think Mamoswine would be good. After that mayb Cresselia since Lunar Dance is really good, or maybe Gengar since its so good in general.

I'm not that great at giving ideas for other mons, bi prefer critiquing what's there already. But mayb this is helpful. I think you do want another status besides WoW on Rotom, but that might just be personal preference.

I will definitely try your suggestions. I think you're right: WoW is useless against Fire types (charizard, blaziken, infernape...), Hence I'll try Toxic instead of Protect and see how it works.

In regards to the pokémons, I always thought about Gengar but never about the other 2 you mentioned. To be honest I hate legandaries I'm having Heatran just because he's the best partner for Sceptile, but Cresselia I wonder, I might try Mamoswine-Gengar and Sylveon and see how it works ^^.

Thank you for your advice :D

I will definitely try your suggestions. I think you're right: WoW is useless against Fire types (charizard, blaziken, infernape...), Hence I'll try Toxic instead of Protect and see how it works.

In regards to the pokémons, I always thought about Gengar but never about the other 2 you mentioned. To be honest I hate legandaries I'm having Heatran just because he's the best partner for Sceptile, but Cresselia I wonder, I might try Mamoswine-Gengar and Sylveon and see how it works ^^.

Thank you for your advice :D
I wouldn't put Toxic on Rotom-W. If you want another status on that, t-Wave is ok. Alternatively run Discharge, and possibly get rid of Volt Switch cuz you'd have electric coverage with Discharge.

I think a specially defensive Tran could help you a lot. I run Magma Storm/ Sub/ Protect/ Toxic, holding Lefties Ofc. Calm nature, 252 HP/ 172 SpD/ 84 Spe. That said, the Spe isn't completely neccesary. It outspeeds Rotoms, Cress, and Suicune that lack much or any investment, but Suicune and Rotom-W do fine for the most part, while the other two are usually beat anyways.

If you don't want the Spe then going or max SpD, or some compromise between that and Def that reaches a certain benchmark. SpA is mostly uneccesary on this Heatran I think, but if you're gonna have leftover EVs they might be best there.

Anyways, this Heatran is really cool. It can beat stuff that it isn't really supposed to beat, such as Mega Blastoise. The SubLeftiesProtect thing stalls for tons of Toxic damage, and a HJK weakness means Tran can sometimes catch something like Blaziken unaware, so it takes crash damage.

So I´ve been trying different teams in Pokemon Showdown for the johto classic and I got to the 1300 with this team:

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Scizor @ Occa Berry
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 28 Def / 116 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Heat Wave

My problem is that I dont know which 6th Pokemon I should use: I´ve tried Gyarados, Crobat, Piloswine, Donphan, Cloyster, Golem. But everyone of those makes my team always too weak against some type. Any ideas of how can I improve my team? Any help would be thankful.

(If you are asking why my Zapdos has HP Grass, its my only way of getting rid of Quagsire)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)