Balanced Gen5 OU Team

Hello Smogon,

this is my new 5gen OU Wifi-Team I would like to introduce now.
This team is a very good balanced one with strong beaters in it and without Staller because I do not like them. Let's start:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Starmie is my love pokemon and has always been on every of my OU teams and this will not change in Gen5 as well. It can kill a complete team on its own and with Trick it can cripple pokemon you generally have problems with (Heiteira, Wisher, Supporter etc.). It can heal itself from Status when switched out. Starmie also acts as a simple revenge killer and forces switches.

Victini @ Life Orb
Trait: Victory Star
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

Victini is a big beater with overall good stats and has a great coverage thanks to his movepool and typing.
The will-o-wisp on the last slot is used when I expect my opponent for a switch e.g. into his bulky water to give him a nice burn. Generally those bulky water type pokemon do not like status (Vapoeron, Suicune, Milotic etc.) so this move comes in quite handy. Accurracy of will-o-wisp raises up to 85% as well. I'm still unsure if I should use Focus Blast over will-o-wisp but as of now this works great for me.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Thunderpunch

This man will be switched in when I have a setup possibility to go for an Agility. With that speedboost and his insane power he can destroy every pokemon that is out there. Meteor Mash goes up to 95% thanks to Victory Star with also a chance to raise his supreme Atk even more. The other moves are needed for coverage so that he will not get walled by anything.

Latios @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Psyshock

I was in a need of a pokemon that I could switch into an Earthquake. So I chose Latios for that purposes in the first place because he might be the best special sweaper in the OU metagame right now even without Soul Dew. I think I do not need to explain him a lot. Psyshock is used because it can hit Blissey hard. The other moves are for coverage.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Sword Dance

Scizor is the best revenge killer in the game and kills a lot on his own. Use Sword Dance on switches or when you have to chance to do it to hit your opponent extreme hard in the face. Sword Dance + Bullet Punch is extremly dangerous for the opponent because there are not many ways to stop that. Another Plus on him is that I like his natural bulk. Leftovers are used to keep him live and make him immortal.
I then realized that I do not have a pokemon that resists electric attacks.
On top of that all of my pokemon have great attack. So why do not support that role in my team?

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Baton Pass

Now I do have a pokemon that resists electric attacks and also one that resists Earthquake. Nasty Plot can make this Celebi into a decent killer unfortunately with only two attacking moves. Giga Drain is the main Stab attack move that also recovers celebi's life a bit. It makes more damage in Gen5 than in Gen4 and thanks to Nasty Plot and Stab this makes quite some nice decent damage on pokemon that does not resist it. Earth Power is needed for opposing Heatran and coverage. If you get stuck after a nasty plot or get paralyzed or whatever you can baton pass into most of the time Victini or Latios to finish the game. The same time if you had status you get cured thanks to Natural Cure.
Please leave a feedback if you like my team or if you have any ideas to improve it even more. If so then I need reasons and purposes.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

The team looks decent but one problem I'm seeing is lack of item variety. Most of your team hold lefties, which could be a problem.
Expert belt/choice banded scizor is very strong in the meta. You should take out bug bite for x-scissors and swords dance for pursuit if you're going for the choice banded set.
Life Orb Victini or Latios is also a great option (I don't advise both though). I'd put Life Orb on Victini and Latios with wise glasses
A problem I see your team dealing with is terrakion, conceldure, and maybe a good amount of weather teams. You seem to be very knowledgeable about typing, which is great, but you also have to know what OU has to offer to avoid your pokes getting swept. But, this is definitely a great start.

No offense but a balanced team would need to at least have SR and a wish healer, or just a team with reliable recovery.
Unfortunately Chansey or Blissey could really cripple this team no sweat. All they have to do is spam Thunder Wave and switch. I'd suggest that you get used to the meta and change your team on your own before asking for help with something like this. Everything about your team lacks power and defensive strategy. Not only that but you have Starmie but still no spinner. I'm seriously not trying to be offensive, but I'd read the RMT rules if I were you. This thread was created for teams that have been well tested from people that are more than familiar with the meta-game. Sorry man just hit the books and try again.

First you need entry hazzards and a better set of sweepers. Dont go just with special ones as someone said before Bliss/Cham will wall everything you have.
Try to get more types not jys Psychic

Alright so this team needs quite a bit of work but doesn't mean we can't improve it to some capacity. To start of I would like to point out that Victory Star only improves the accuarcy of teammates moves if they are on the field i.e. It only improves the accuarcy in doubles, in singles only Victini's accuaracy is changed. Also, other people, Latios isn't walled by chansey with psyschock at hand.

As everyone else has pointed out your team carries 5 psychic types! This means you can be ravaged by both Tyranitar and Scizor, the two most popular pokemon in OU. Also, your team currently lacks SR, a necessary tool to be able to beat Dragonite and Volcarona. From here we can do the major changes to your team.

Well to start off I would change TickScarf Starmie to Rotom-W. Rotom-W pulls off scarf much beter than Starmie due to having VoltSwitch and getting STAB on his electric move. Victini seems like the weakest link to this team and in his place I would suggest specially defensive Heatran to be able to set SR and tank Draco Meators from opposing Latios. Finnally, Mamoswine will give you another way of beating Dragons, as well as Jirachi.

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Protect

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

I would definitley reccomend changing starmie to something else. If this were my team I would use politoed to patch up a small fire weakness, but you would also have to change victini. you might change it to something that can abuse rain, such as special dragonite.

Blissey is no problem at all thanks to Starmie' Tricks that can cripple it. Also natural Cure of Starmie and Celebi makes them get their status to normal when switched out so I don't see any problems here at all. About the lack of item variety that could be true. I'll go with Life Orb on Victini. So the effect of Victini does only effect himself on Single matches? I've thought that Victory Star increases the accurracy of all other pokemon in the team up to 10% regardless of they are out on the field or not.

I know that I play a lot of psychics but that was never a problem for me. Metagross covers the dark weakness by himself being a stealth type as well. Dark Types arent that common in that metagame anyways. I never had problems with Darks back in the days so I don't care about them.
Also I will not change my moveset on Scizor. Personally I like my set a lot better than a standard "predictable" Choice Banded set. I playtested my Scizor set in Gen4 so much...he killed teams on his own after a sworddance. So I'll never change that set.
Also...you guys are all so predictable. I kill choice banded scizors so easy... as I trap them and kill them so bad, especially late game when they do not have a reliable target you can switch into. I run Starmie yes, because he is awesome on his own, i decided against rapid spin because i hate wasting a turn on it. Crippling opponents monsters is much more important for me.
I know that my team lacks stealth rock. And I would like to find a poke that can carry it, at the moment I do not have one unfortunately. I also do have a perfekt bold nature wish healer aquana in my box that I could fit into this team but as of now I'm not sure if that if really neccessary... Where would you suggest to put on stealth rock?
Maybe Victini is the weakest part in that set. That might be true. I don't like that Special Defense Heatran set that was posted above. As I do not have a solid opener as well I would suggest offensive hasty Heatran. Let me know what you think? Unfortunately this set lacks Earth Power I know that, but I could put it over HP Ice or just play without it and switch him out when facing opposing heatran. Generally I could switch it out into Latios and avoid the attack with Levitate and hit back with Surf :-)

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- HP Ice
- Explosion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)