Media Attack on Titan (final season coming!)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been thinking, these guy's defense strategy against the titans really is dump. When the wall's gate got kicked in (2nd time), they should have just amassed a bunch of excellent warriors around the gate to attack from above as the titans entered. They'd be easier pickings then. (Stock LOTS of gas and extra blades around the gate's entrance-- good idea much?)

Or how about have secret gas/blade holdings areas throughout the town instead of just 1 place?

Furthermore, they should have made towers in the immediate vicinity of the gate and throughout the city to make the 3D gear more effective. Altitude advantage is clearly decisive when fighting giants. Against the 3 and 5 meter classes, it's simple enough to just get out of reach of the titans with high enough perches.

For that matter how about a secondary barrier inside the wall around the gate?

Also, how about inventing a projectile weapon that can kill titans by slicing off the meat around their necks?

All of these things would not be that hard to make...

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I mean, I could just say "because drama" and that should be a sufficient answer to your questions, but it's also a cop out answer.

So for your waiting at the gates for the colossal titan: The first attack had him showing up in an instant with no warning, kicking the gate down, and then disappearing. He doesn't give enough time for anyone to go on the offensive (Eren tried but clearly abysmally failed).

More than one gas/blade holding area and towers within the town?

Well it's been heavily hinted that there is a large amount of internal political strife in the government. Example, one party wanted to bury the gates due to them being weakpoints in the walls, but the opposition outright refused due to that action being tantamount to giving up all hope for victory against the titans (or something of that ideological ilk).

So those types of moves to make secondary holding areas and improving defense conditions could very well have been brought up and squabbled over by a divided government. It could've been argued that building extra towers is unnecessary given the architecture of the cities was designed to be serviceable for 3D maneuvering and also that the new towers could've been lowering to public morale. Secondary stocks of gas and whatnot could've been built but probably would've been viewed as a waste of taxpayer money since they already have a place to stock and hold them.

Secondary walls around the gate? The walls are much harder to build than you think.

As for a projectile blade weapon... their projectile tech is like 18th century, bro. I'd like to see you make a projectile weapon that is able to accurately and consistently cut deep through the nape of a titans neck with only cannons and muskets. Keep in mind that it has to go a minimum of a certain depth or else they won't die. Hell aiming for that on a titan STANDING STILL would be extremely hard, let alone one that runs around like this.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks Valk for entertaining my rant. I know "drama" trumps everything. It's just that I can't help but think of countless ways they could have done things better.

I do get that humans panicking stupidly is a part of the drama of this manga-- like everyone's brain is numbed by sheer panic in practically every other scene. But still.

I mean, I could just say "because drama" and that should be a sufficient answer to your questions, but it's also a cop out answer.

So for your waiting at the gates for the colossal titan: The first attack had him showing up in an instant with no warning, kicking the gate down, and then disappearing. He doesn't give enough time for anyone to go on the offensive (Eren tried but clearly abysmally failed).
My point had nothing to do with beating the colossal titan.

My point was that all smaller titans have to pass through the gate-- a point at which any of them would be vulnerable to attacks from above. Especially with the wall itself as a vantage point to attack from using the 3D gear, and 10m+ class (and maybe even 7m+) are shown having to bend over and crawl just to get through the gate. A bent over giant on all 4's (head first) would be easy prey for soldiers attacking from any and all angles from above using the wall as a vantage point.

If it's only the "abnormal" super-fast 3 / 5 meter class able to get through easily (and 3-5 meter class titans are not as dangerous in general), the defense of the city would be much more manageable.

(come to think of it-- why weren't the gates made smaller in the first place-- like, 2.5 meters tall-- so that only unmounted horses and men could get through, and forcing even 3m giants to craw through to get in)

Of course all of this would be limited by the ability to refuel with blades and gas, but all of this still works better than retreating from the wall, or trying to shoot Giants with cannons. If things work out well, you can even kill enough giants within or immediately in front of the gate so that their corpses end up blocking the hole.

More than one gas/blade holding area and towers within the town?

Well it's been heavily hinted that there is a large amount of internal political strife in the government. Example, one party wanted to bury the gates due to them being weakpoints in the walls, but the opposition outright refused due to that action being tantamount to giving up all hope for victory against the titans (or something of that ideological ilk).

So those types of moves to make secondary holding areas and improving defense conditions could very well have been brought up and squabbled over by a divided government. It could've been argued that building extra towers is unnecessary given the architecture of the cities was designed to be serviceable for 3D maneuvering and also that the new towers could've been lowering to public morale. Secondary stocks of gas and whatnot could've been built but probably would've been viewed as a waste of taxpayer money since they already have a place to stock and hold them.
Kind of irrelevant considering we're talking about the survival of humanity, years of time for preparation, not to mention the sheer volume of resources that seem available to the humans when it comes to material/military wealth. You'd think they could get their act together a bit better.

As for a projectile blade weapon... their projectile tech is like 18th century, bro. I'd like to see you make a projectile weapon that is able to accurately and consistently cut deep through the nape of a titans neck with only cannons and muskets.
You're expecting me to believe that the society that made the technical wonder of the 3D maneuvering gear (with all its pinpoint accuracy and allowance for ridiculous freedom of movement) couldn't design an accurate, easy-to-use harpoon with a blade designed for slicing off giant's necks from afar?

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
http://www.watchanimeon.com/attack-on-titan-episode-10/ in case people haven't seen it's up yet.

so armin is basically usopp. I'm ok with this. Oh and Pixis probably knows alot more than he's letting on. Im starting to think titans like the Colossus Titan are also humans like Eren but something happened to them to make them "Join the titan side". Maybe Pixis knew what Eren's father was doing.

TheValkyries

My point had nothing to do with beating the colossal titan.

My point was that all smaller titans have to pass through the gate-- a point at which any of them would be vulnerable to attacks from above. Especially with the wall itself as a vantage point to attack from using the 3D gear, and 10m+ class (and maybe even 7m+) are shown having to bend over and crawl just to get through the gate. A bent over giant on all 4's (head first) would be easy prey for soldiers attacking from any and all angles from above using the wall as a vantage point.

If it's only the "abnormal" super-fast 3 / 5 meter class able to get through easily (and 3-5 meter class titans are not as dangerous in general), the defense of the city would be much more manageable.

(come to think of it-- why weren't the gates made smaller in the first place-- like, 2.5 meters tall-- so that only unmounted horses and men could get through, and forcing even 3m giants to craw through to get in)

Of course all of this would be limited by the ability to refuel with blades and gas, but all of this still works better than retreating from the wall, or trying to shoot Giants with cannons. If things work out well, you can even kill enough giants within or immediately in front of the gate so that their corpses end up blocking the hole.
Easy prey? The titans? Other way around m8.

We've seen how fast just a few titans can pick off entire squads of airborne humans even when they have ideal 3D maneuvering conditions. On the outside of the wall there aren't many structures to bounce off of so you're only working with the wall itself as your target, and there are a LOT more titans waiting to try and catch and eat you. They may well have had people there doing just that but that's a risky strategy and would make them suffer great losses.

Kind of irrelevant considering we're talking about the survival of humanity, years of time for preparation, not to mention the sheer volume of resources that seem available to the humans when it comes to material/military wealth. You'd think they could get their act together a bit better.
I'm like 90% sure there's a line about that later on. "You'd think that with humanity nearing extinction we'd stop disagreeing so much" or something like that.

You're expecting me to believe that the society that made the technical wonder of the 3D maneuvering gear (with all its pinpoint accuracy and allowance for ridiculous freedom of movement) couldn't design an accurate, easy-to-use harpoon with a blade designed for slicing off giant's necks from afar?
Yeah, there is some bullshit explanation from the author in one of those "AVAILABLE TO BE DISCLOSED" info thingies about the reason they can master that kind of compressed gas technology. It's apparently because there is naturally compressed gas wells (or watever holds the compressed gas, IDK) in their mines, and they take that put a valve on it, and the little gun thing and you're good to go. The things actually aren't even that complex because of the naturally compressed gas.

But anyway, what that means is like the compressed gas doesn't work for their cannons, because the gas is in a state that isn't that usable for bigger things. Even if they could though, and they had hyper accurate harpoons, you still have to aim them by hand and it is wildly inefficient use of the gas. Rivaille can use two gas tanks to kill many titans by himself. That gun would use up more canisters to kill only one titan if you had good aim. Safer? Sure. Efficient? NOP.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Easy prey? The titans? Other way around m8.

We've seen how fast just a few titans can pick off entire squads of airborne humans even when they have ideal 3D maneuvering conditions. On the outside of the wall there aren't many structures to bounce off of so you're only working with the wall itself as your target, and there are a LOT more titans waiting to try and catch and eat you. They may well have had people there doing just that but that's a risky strategy and would make them suffer great losses.
Let me specify since it seems I'm not accurately describing what I have in mind.

You would stay on the INSIDE of the wall, anchored to the wall itself, and wait for the titans to come through. Then you attack them from above-- as they are coming through the gate. It's a perfect vantage point and blind spot.

There is no way you're going to tell me those dumb titans could get the advantage attacking targets coming from above them that they can't see-- even moreso if we're talking about a 7m+ titan coming through the gate while crawling on all 4's. His neck will literally be on the chopping block.

Just to illustrate. Yellow = Titan's field of vision. You ever try swatting a mosquito on the back of your head before the mosquito even bites you?

To make this even more effective.... HAVE SNIPERS SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE!! THEN have your teammates on the wall kill them. Keep rotating between shots to the face and slices to the neck until the corpses pile high enough to fill the entrance.

Of course this strategy would have losses-- it wouldn't be 100%. It'd still be infinitely better than retreating and fighting them in the town (or shooting them with cannons). Fuck-- they didn't even prepare to blow up the wooden plank bridge over the moats around the gate so that titans couldn't cross it while entering the town. USE THE CANNONS TO SHOOT THE FUCKING PLANK BRIDGE OVER THE MOATS.

And then, while the titans are struggling to cross the moats shoot their necks with the neck slicing harpoons!!

For reference, just look at the intro to episode 7, at the time 1:19.

v
Yeah, there is some bullshit explanation from the author in one of those "AVAILABLE TO BE DISCLOSED" info thingies about the reason they can master that kind of compressed gas technology. It's apparently because there is naturally compressed gas wells (or watever holds the compressed gas, IDK) in their mines, and they take that put a valve on it, and the little gun thing and you're good to go. The things actually aren't even that complex because of the naturally compressed gas.

But anyway, what that means is like the compressed gas doesn't work for their cannons, because the gas is in a state that isn't that usable for bigger things. Even if they could though, and they had hyper accurate harpoons, you still have to aim them by hand and it is wildly inefficient use of the gas. Rivaille can use two gas tanks to kill many titans by himself. That gun would use up more canisters to kill only one titan if you had good aim. Safer? Sure. Efficient? NOP.
The reasons the swords have triggers on them is because those triggers are used to control and fire the 3D maneuver gear harpoons-- we've seen how effective and accurate the 3D gear is for maneuvering. The humans can basically control it at will, firing it with incredible accuracy for the most subtle movements. JUST WEAPONIZE IT

As for the gas use-- I mean, how many times does the average soldier fire the 3D gear just to take down 1 giant?

Also you didn't touch on: "WHY NOT MAKE THE GATE SHORTER?????"

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wait the super colossal titan always kicks a hole big enough for most titans to enter at full height. Does it matter how short the gate entrance is constructed if it's going to be demolished by one kick?

Also, the colossal titan discreetly wiped out all the artillery on top of the wall, so whatever strategic preparation made there would be nullified, right?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
^my strategy is not outlined "on" (on top) the wall, but "behind" the wall (on the side of the wall)

Also the story explicitly states that the colossal giant can only kick out the area around the gate, which to me says that he can only kick in the gate itself.

I'll try to avoid any big spoiler, but the wall itself is so durable because it's made of a special material that the titans cannot destroy easily. The gate is obviously a different material.

Therefore, my guess is that if they had a 2.5 meter gate, the giants would have to craw through to get in. Hell, if they had a gate short enough that humans would have to crawl through, NO titans could get in.

Regardless, if titans crawl through or walk through, they'll still be the most vulnerable when coming through the gate (and being attacked from above).

TheValkyries

OK I see what you mean now Chou.

First, Titan corpses wouldn't fill up the hole because the corpses evaporate for some odd raisin.

And while I understand your strategy I think you're underestimating the Titans. They aren't much for planning but they aren't so stupid that they don't notice that there are people above them once they get through. And remember there are a lot of them... Soldiers going after one right in front of that hole could end with them getting grabbed by the one crawling in right behind. The Titans that do get through won't just forget about the free tasty meal swinging down right at the entrance. They'd stick around and be a threat that forces the soldiers to go after them instead of the ones crawling through, letting more in, etc.

And keep in mind they did have a defense strategy, and it involved protecting the inner wall. It seems as if they've long since decided that a breach in the wall can't be feasibly contained at the bottleneck.

As for making the gate smaller, I'm not sure if this is spoilers because it hasn't been outright said but it's kind of implied:

They didn't build the walls, and the religion popped up 5 years before right after the first wall was breached and have heavily advocated for not augmenting the divine walls in any way whatsoever.

And at weaponized gas: Yeah they could but the standard two tanks of gas let mikasa (a rookie) kill... IDK I wanna say 5+? on her own. Again, Rivaille in only one, albeit a rather expert and slick move took out 3 Titans, which needless to say didn't use that much gas. The manual sword 3Dgear way isn't the safest but it's the most efficient and the most certain to kill. As shown by Connie and Sasha's failed attempt, you can see that even at point blank it's hard to kill those fuckers, at ranged might just not be worth it.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does anyone have a source/estimate on how many episodes the run is going to last?

or are they going to take a break after 10-15 more episodes and go and do the rest once the manga's done?

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Anyone else think Misaka is actually a titan? Dr Jaeger was working very closely with her and the general consensus theory is that Eren was injected into something that A:transformed him into a titan, or B: suppressed his memory of being a titan. Perhaps he was doing something similar with Misaka?

I highly doubt that Reiner and Bertholdt are actually villains. Reiner especially has done nothing but put himself in danger to keep the others alive. Their reaction to when Ymir revealed her titan form implies that they're victims of circumstance. Annie seemed genuinely remorseful when she killed Marco early in the story, there's got to be a logical reason behind this. Perhaps all the titan morphers are successful test subjects for weapons and the "normal" titans are faulty products. The scene with Conny's village (I still get goosebumps thinking about it) appears to foreshadow this. The fact that there was no breach in Wall Rose, yet titans swarmed the region anyways, along with the emergence of the Ape titan are two mysteries I'm dying to learn about. Speaking of Wall Rose, I think the walls are meant to keep people in, not protect them from titans. Why else would the titans inside the wall be facing inwards? The most likely culprit is the religion, which goes out of its way to prevent expansion. The whole "god erected the walls to protect us" preaching is highly suspicious as well. I'd wager that Pixis and other higher ranking members of the government are involved with the religion, hence why books about the outside world are forbidden.

Does anyone have a source/estimate on how many episodes the run is going to last?

or are they going to take a break after 10-15 more episodes and go and do the rest once the manga's done?
ep14 has been confirmed to be a recap so i assume that's the end of the first arc. my guess is two arcs in one season (there's enough source material for 24 episodes)

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
^thanks

Anyone else think Misaka is actually a titan? Dr Jaeger was working very closely with her and the general consensus theory is that Eren was injected into something that A:transformed him into a titan, or B: suppressed his memory of being a titan. Perhaps he was doing something similar with Misaka?
It can be possible because in an earlier episode it was implied that Dr. Jaeger was a regular visitor at their place (odd considering they are just a simple famer-craftswoman couple), and the fact that they were discussing Misaka's birth and were unable to explain it to her.

May have been just general awkwardness but they didn't even give some cliche answer like a stork bringing her or whatever. Which would indicate that there was some abnormality/trauma associated with it. Which made them hesitant

My guess is that she probably faced some fatal birth complications and Jaeger cured her by injecting her with a strain of Titan (DNA?) which used the regenerative properties to heal her. Which with anime-logic should lead to her having Titan-like properties latent in her.

NOTE: this is pure conjencture and NOT a spoiler. I haven't read the manga.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
@Valk-- I'm just saying there's like a million (do-able) things I could think of to make their defense more sound. The human forces are so dumb (and succumb to panic so easily) it's almost laughable. In general they're so incompetent it's almost hard to take it seriously at times. This would be my only criticism of the series.

TheValkyries

You only think they're dumb. You haven't met any competent commanders yet. You should enjoy the next arc.

EDIT: I mean yeah, the humans panic all the time, and many of them are incompetent, but it's not like they just don't think about it, cuz they do.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I've read the whole manga. Pixis is taking strategy tips from Armin, who is only slightly better than dumb. Even Rivalle has almost zero strategic ability. While I think the f-giant was handled relatively well (and they do capture) overall the human's strategic abilities are mediocre at best.

It's always a treat to find a new anime to add to my "need to watch" list.
I'm definitely going to check this out. Though with the manga still going i'm a little distressed about the ending but that's something I need to take in stride. Besides I've probably seen worse endings.

Soul Fly

is a Contributor Alumnus
I've read the whole manga. Pixis is taking strategy tips from Armin, who is only slightly better than dumb. Even Rivalle has almost zero strategic ability. While I think the f-giant was handled relatively well (and they do capture) overall the human's strategic abilities are mediocre at best.
PLEASE.use.spoiler.tags.to.discuss.manga

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I worded it so I wouldn't spoil shit. Stfu

What I said was so vague, if you are watching the anime you will have loooooooong forgotten it by the time it's relevant. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to use the tags

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)