Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi peoples. This is my first post here, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I live in Indy and want to go to VGC, but looking around, it seems that everyone RNGs for perfect IVs.

Am I going to have no chance of winning if I don't RNG for IVs? I bred the "natural" way and got "outstanding" IVs with 29-31 in the important stats on each of my monsters, but they're not all 31s and 30s across the board.

If I do want to try it out, how can I learn? I tried looking all over here and I saw stuff for DPP?? And even still, it doesn't seem like anything I could understand... I need an introduction or something to tell me even what the most basic of basic info about RNGing is.
Well first off, welcome to Smogon.

Also, you live in Indy. LUCKY! You can go to the Last Chance Qualifier at Nationals instead of attending a regionals! :p

As for RNGing, I can't really explain to you how to do it. You'll just have to look in the thread that MattJ suggested or look for a video on Youtube by bearsfan092drums.

However, what I can tell you is what's easy, what's not easy and what to try to get in the RNG'ed Pokemon. You'll want to definitely get 31 IV in the speed stat unless it's a Trick Room mon. The 31 IV might be the difference between your Pokemon staying alive or not. The other stats should have anywhere between ~20-31. Defense/Sp. Defense/HP could be a little lower such as ~25 or so, however I would recommend you try to get the atk/Sp. atk (depending on which one the Pokemon will be using) around ~28-31. If your using a Trick Room strategy, try to get your speed IVs 0 since RNG manipulation allows you to do badass things like that lol.

Last thing. No, you do not need perfect Pokemon to do well at the VGCs. You just need maybe near flawless Pokemon and a good game plan in you want to do well at the VGCs.

Thanks everyone for your responses :)

Thanks for the link to that thread. It's still hard for me to navigate the forums (not sure what's going to be in what place, etc.) but I think I'm getting the hang of the organization. I hadn't seen that thread before, so that was really helpful.

It still seems a bit confusing to me, but I think if I just tried it, I could get it down. As for now, though, I think I'm just going to stick to the guys I've hatched myself with my OK IV's. I go until the guy in Gear Station says they are outstanding, do a lot of parent swapping and Power Items... so I put a lot of work into them and I've grown attached to them. The "important" IVs (for example, speed and sp attack on Galvantula) are always 29+.

I'm building a team using my favorites that are not too weak (my favorites always tend to be pretty weak... like I think the strongest 4th gen monsters I liked were Kricketot and Probopass... >_>) but also I'm trying to put a good strategy together. I actually went to VGC regionals many years ago (Ruby/Sapphire!) and used Ludicolo, Kingdra, Starmie, and Marowak. I loved that Ludicolo so much! It was a rain dish + leech seed + leftovers staller with Toxic and Seismic Toss that supported Starmie and Kingdra with rain... while I didn't know anything about the metagame then and didn't know lots of people were using weather, I thought I was pretty clever, ahaha (actually my friend gave me the idea, so maybe he knew...) I got to like 3rd round and lost to a burn/confusion Espeon team that was really cool. Lots of people liked my Ludicolo though so it was a lot of fun. I'm hoping to do some things that people don't expect and try some strategies that push the metagame a little and see how I do. That's how I like to play :) This is my first time actually learning about metagame though, so it's really interesting.

Anyway, sorry for getting wordy and thanks for the help :) I'm glad to know the team I'm working on will still be ok. I think I'll leave trying to learn RNG for another day, since I have a lot of other things I'm doing right now in life :) I think that since I'm using uncommon monsters with probably uncommon movesets, that the element of surprise will make up for my lack of perfect IVs (which are still good IVs). It will all come down to how well my strategy holds up I guess.

So yeah, thanks for the confidence boost :) My goal is just to meet other players and have fun. (Sad that since I'm going to the LCQ I won't be able to win a 3DS if I do really well! Not that I'm expecting to anyway) Maybe I'll start hanging around this forum, too, it seems like a fun place. Not sure where to start, since there's so much here though :)

Hey everyone!

1) When holding a Pokemon back from evolution, if you evolve it at a later level than it's supposed to evolve at, is it weaker?

2) Which is better for a more defensive Pokemon? Alomomola or Jellicent or Amoongus?

3) If I use yawn on an opponent, and then, knowing that their Pokemon is going to fall asleep, switches it out, when they send it out again, will it go to sleep the next turn or will them switching out their pokemon cancel the yawn?

1) When holding a Pokemon back from evolution, if you evolve it at a later level than it's supposed to evolve at, is it weaker?

No, it does not matter when it evolves.

2) Which is better for a more defensive Pokemon? Alomomola or Jellicent or Amoongus?

For the VGC Metagame? Amoonguss.

3) If I use yawn on an opponent, and then, knowing that their Pokemon is going to fall asleep, switches it out, when they send it out again, will it go to sleep the next turn or will them switching out their pokemon cancel the yawn?

It'll cancel the yawn.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just for an example of how perfect IVs actually can matter, my Tornadus survived a hit with 2 HP in one of my battles. That doesn't mean it's impossible to win if yours aren't perfect, but you will be at a slight disadvantage, so if you can learn to RNG, I recommend doing so.

Edit: but go for perfect Speed regardless. That one matters a lot.

I'm new, but I wanted to say that it also matters what works best with the rest of your team. Most of the time, Amoongus will be your choice, but if you already have too much of a flying weakness or something, or you're wanting to do something other than what Amoongus can do, the others are still pretty good. Alomomola takes hits somewhat well and has access to moves that not many other monsters can learn, like Soak (which, depending on your team, may be very useful). Jellicent seems more... offensively defensive, if that makes sense, and of course has its own typing and moveset.

Amoongus is, in general, the strongest, it seems, but it's best to make the choice based on who works better with your team IMO

Thanks everyone! I do have another Pokemon with a flying weakness, so I'll think about it.

And I have two other questions, haha. If I use guard swap, and then the Pokemon I used guard swap on switches out, do I still keep its defense and sp. def stats or no?

And Serebii states that the move Telekinesis does this: "Removes evasion stat from target." Does that mean every move I use on it will hit? So, for example, a 1HKO move?

Thanks everyone! I do have another Pokemon with a flying weakness, so I'll think about it.

And I have two other questions, haha. If I use guard swap, and then the Pokemon I used guard swap on switches out, do I still keep its defense and sp. def stats or no?

And Serebii states that the move Telekinesis does this: "Removes evasion stat from target." Does that mean every move I use on it will hit? So, for example, a 1HKO move?
Bulbapedia said:
Telekinesis raises a foe into the air and makes the target immune to Ground-type moves, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Arena Trap. In addition, all other moves, except one-hit knockout moves, hit the target regardless of accuracy and evasion. This effect lasts for three turns.

It way funnier when you haven't beaten the game anyway... definitely enjoyed skarm vs. Alaka I think it was on the big screen at Nationals last year when skarm inspected him and Alaka only had 7 badges. Good enough to get to the finals at Nationals but not QUITE good enough to defeat that Kingdra...

If you haven't beaten the game, you could always say you got your stuff traded to you from another cart if they ask. Last week I was at Atl with my bro's cart, which only had 4 gym badges!

They won't be able to tell as far as I'm aware, however.

This sounds like a dumb question even to me, but in my paranoia, I have to ask it. If you haven't beaten the elite four, is that a problem getting in to vgcs? I've been avoiding facing Reshirim until I rng it, which I haven't had the time to do, and want to be absolutely sure I can get accepted.
You need to have obtained the Dream Mist from Musharna and given it to Fennel, as that's what unlocks the menu item that's needed to participate in a tournament. If you've done that (which is quite early in the game, around the time of the first gym), you'll be fine.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It way funnier when you haven't beaten the game anyway... definitely enjoyed skarm vs. Alaka I think it was on the big screen at Nationals last year when skarm inspected him and Alaka only had 7 badges. Good enough to get to the finals at Nationals but not QUITE good enough to defeat that Kingdra...
I'll have you know that that kingdra is really tough.

Better than 09 when I had to go get my first badge to upload the video after winning the regional.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can check real fast.

Edit: Psychic max SpA Reuniclus hitting the on-site Amoonguss does 169-199 damage, not a OHKO.
But not every Amoonguss is using that spread. I'm quite certain Max SpA LO Psychic OHKOes Amoonguss with no SpD EVs, for example an Amoonguss with max Defense to take Rock Slides and Acrobatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)