Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How come NU doesn't have their own tier rules, like allowing Drought on 9tales in NU, where in UU, it's banned.
All the tiers from NU to OU are linked to each other and affect each other. For instance, any Pokemon that is receives enough usage in RU will rise from NU, and so on. Following this, the tiers are also connected via bans, so anything banned in a higher tier will also affect the lower tiers.

Help for teambuilding.
I'm making a team around a speedy AV Sawsbuck and I realized that it was bait for defensive Vileplume as well as Weezing.
What do you guys suggest to take care of the Poison types in the meta at the moment?
Sawsbuck @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 24 HP / 240 Atk / 84 SpD / 160 Spe
Careful Nature
- Megahorn
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return
[Just enough speed to be faster than Modest Magmortar]

Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Jynx Ice Beam vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 257-304 (83.7 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Typhlosion Fire Blast vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 234-276 (76.2 - 89.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Cryogonal Ice Beam vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 226-268 (73.6 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Haunter Sludge Wave vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 210-248 (68.4 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 161-190 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Mismagius Dazzling Gleam vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 143-169 (46.5 - 55%) -- 67.6% chance to 2HKO
+3 0 SpA Slurpuff Flamethrower vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 206-244 (67.1 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Flamethrower vs. 24 HP / 84+ SpD Assault Vest Sawsbuck: 284-336 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Help for teambuilding.
I'm making a team around a speedy AV Sawsbuck and I realized that it was bait for defensive Vileplume as well as Weezing.
What do you guys suggest to take care of the Poison types in the meta at the moment?
Sawsbuck @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 24 HP / 240 Atk / 84 SpD / 160 Spe
Careful Nature
- Megahorn
- Horn Leech
- Jump Kick
- Return
Psychic types such as uxie and mesprit can handle those pokes very well, with uxie also providing stealth rock support if needed. Strong fire types like typhlosion or pyroar would also pair well with sawsbuck, as it can kill both of those pokes, while baiting in bulky water types that sawsbuck can handle. That being said, I understand the thought process of using sawsbuck and the ev spread, however, your calcs did not include you taking stealth rock damage, so alot of those 2hko's become ohko's with rocks. Also, sawsbuck isnt terribly bulky or powerful without a sd boost anyways, so it isnt a great av user. If you really wanted to use a similar poke (not that I totally advise it), Bouffalant shares a similar purpose, with higher hp, attack and special defense. Yeah it's slower, but you are using a slower sawsbuck anyways. Maybe with max hp max attack w/ head charge, eq, and either stone edge/return/wild charge

Psychic types such as uxie and mesprit can handle those pokes very well, with uxie also providing stealth rock support if needed. Strong fire types like typhlosion or pyroar would also pair well with sawsbuck, as it can kill both of those pokes, while baiting in bulky water types that sawsbuck can handle. That being said, I understand the thought process of using sawsbuck and the ev spread, however, your calcs did not include you taking stealth rock damage, so alot of those 2hko's become ohko's with rocks. Also, sawsbuck isnt terribly bulky or powerful without a sd boost anyways, so it isnt a great av user. If you really wanted to use a similar poke (not that I totally advise it), Bouffalant shares a similar purpose, with higher hp, attack and special defense. Yeah it's slower, but you are using a slower sawsbuck anyways. Maybe with max hp max attack w/ head charge, eq, and either stone edge/return/wild charge
Yeah, I get where you're coming from.
First I thought about AV Gogoat, it seemed like a good idea because it has a way of recovering HP, although it doesn't have the best coverage, it's slow as dirt and the typing doesn't help too much. Then Sawsbuck came into my mind, it hits a bit harder [With Return/Frustration being STAB] and it's able to outspeed some things.
It isn't meant to tank hits, it's more of a "take the hit that your opponent wasn't expecting you to live" and OHKO them back or do a lot of damage to them.
Either way thanks for you answer, I like Mesprit quite a bit so I might include it on the team and tweak some EV's to live some hits with SR factoring into play.
I was assuming they'd send their pokemon to revenge kill Sawsbuck:]

A pretty dumb question, but this just happened. A Magmortar used Mach Punch on my Jynx, knocking it out. Magmortar takes Life Orb recoil. He obviously can't be scarfed. I then send out my Jolly, 252 speed Zangoose. Magmortar outspeeds and OHKO's with Overheat.

Zangoose has base 90 speed. Magmortar has 83. Assuming both of us are +Speed with 252 EVs, I should have outsped him and hit with Facade no problem. So, how the hell did he outspeed me? No Sticky Web/Trick Room was in play, just plain old field. (And no, unfortunately I did not save the replay. I wound up losing.)

A pretty dumb question, but this just happened. A Magmortar used Mach Punch on my Jynx, knocking it out. Magmortar takes Life Orb recoil. He obviously can't be scarfed. I then send out my Jolly, 252 speed Zangoose. Magmortar outspeeds and OHKO's with Overheat.

Zangoose has base 90 speed. Magmortar has 83. Assuming both of us are +Speed with 252 EVs, I should have outsped him and hit with Facade no problem. So, how the hell did he outspeed me? No Sticky Web/Trick Room was in play, just plain old field.
check your team, mabye the EV/IVs fucked up. This can happen so be aware to always double check. if not, it could have been a mistake in the coding. This also happens time to time. You did not use a -priority move?

Also, next time I would recommend you to run adamant on Zangoose, its the prefered nature for a wallbreaker c:

WHO RUNS FUCKING MACH PUNCH MAG

Edit: facade

Turns out you were right, Yellow Cheese---Showdown must have lagged and not saved my EVs. I used this time to switch to Adamant as well. Thank you!

My last question for now is this: What are ideal teammates to run with Sceptile in a more offensive oriented team?

Turns out you were right, Yellow Cheese---Showdown must have lagged and not saved my EVs. I used this time to switch to Adamant as well. Thank you!
I would recommend Jolly > Adamant ALWAYS on Zangoose. 90spe is just too contested not to run Jolly as you'll end up being outsped by a ton of pokemon that sit at >75 speed (Pokemon like banded Sawk, Feraligatr, Magmortar, Kangaskhan (90), Klingklang (90), Mr Mime (90), Lilligant (90)... etc)

It's much more important to damage mons that outspeed for the kill than to hit walls that you'll 2hko anyways slightly stronger.
To back this up, the NU meta isn't hugely defensive, so there's less need for an ultra powered Zangoose. He 2hko's a ton of walls as is:

252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 252-297 (71.1 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
-1 252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 181-214 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 181-214 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Steelix: 156-184 (44 - 51.9%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Toxic Boost Zangoose Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Spiritomb: 137-162 (45 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

My last question for now is this: What are ideal teammates to run with Sceptile in a more offensive oriented team?
There are a plethora of mons that can be run with Sceptile. First, consider the set - special, physical or the rarer mixed set. Are you aiming to SD, to unburden, or to unboosted sweep with LO (or something else). You should consider its counters and pokemon that threaten it. Swellow threatens it, so maybe a rock type like Golem or Rhydon would be good. Things like Vileplume can wall it depending on its set, so take these mons into consideration. I won't expand more cause this is meant to be simple Q & A

What is the preferred moveset and nature for an Articuno in XY NU? I'm going to go catch my one in-game, and I need to find a decent synchronizer.

I'm thinking this:
Articuno
Timid Nature
-Ice Beam / Freeze Dry
-Roost
-Roar
-Substitute / Freeze Dry

Or this:
Articuno
Calm/Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Roar
- Reflect

EDIT: Additional comment: Is there any IV that absolutely HAS to be a 31? I'm imagining maybe speed, but does a 31 HP IV help with subs or a 31 def/sp.def help it survive anything noteworthy?

Last edited:

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What is the preferred moveset and nature for an Articuno in XY NU? I'm going to go catch my one in-game, and I need to find a decent synchronizer.

I'm thinking this:
Articuno
Timid Nature
-Ice Beam / Freeze Dry
-Roost
-Roar
-Substitute / Freeze Dry

Or this:
Articuno
Calm/Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Roar
- Reflect

EDIT: Additional comment: Is there any IV that absolutely HAS to be a 31? I'm imagining maybe speed, but does a 31 HP IV help with subs or a 31 def/sp.def help it survive anything noteworthy?
I would use the first set, personally. As for IVs, I don't believe that anything in HP, Def, or SpD will help you survive anything notable. Don't get me wrong, you still want them. But I don't think they're absolutley life or death necessary.

I would use the first set, personally. As for IVs, I don't believe that anything in HP, Def, or SpD will help you survive anything notable. Don't get me wrong, you still want them. But I don't think they're absolutley life or death necessary.
Cool thanks.

I ended up with this in the end. Sp.def could be better, but it's good enough for me.

Articuno
Timid Nature
31/11/31/30/25/31

Question: Will AV Accelgor work? I noticed that Accelgor has decent hp and great speed and sp. attack. I know Accelgor is best as a suicide lead, but I already have a dedicated lead in my team, so I wanted to try something different. Here is his set

Accelgor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Psychic]

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Question: Will AV Accelgor work? I noticed that Accelgor has decent hp and great speed and sp. attack. I know Accelgor is best as a suicide lead, but I already have a dedicated lead in my team, so I wanted to try something different. Here is his set

Accelgor @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
Accelgor is still much too frail to take special hits even with an Assault Vest tacked on and maximum hp investment, especially when its grounded, vulnerable to all entry hazards, and weak to Stealth Rock. If you're going to use a non Spikes lead Accelgor, a life orb cleaner set will serve you much better.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Accelgor @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Psychic]
the best defense is a good offense etc. if you take out everything you want in one or two hits, then theres no need to run all that hp. accelgor is an extremely frail mon, so you should just take advantage of the decent coverage it gets with its amazing speed and put them to work. focus blast is probably better than hp psychic tho coverage wise. most poison types have poor spdef, and if they dont they're easily wittled.

What kind of build should I make for raichu? Physical attacker or special attacker? And what is the best level to evolve pikachu into a raichu?

Physical attacker
Raichu @ Life orb/ choice band
Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Volt tackle
- Brick break
- Knock off
- Body slam

Or

Special attacker
Raichu @ Life orb/ choice specs
Ability: Lightningrod
EV's: 4HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Thunderbolt/ Charge beam
- Surf
- Grass knot
- Nasty Plot

Last edited:

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Special Attacker, but you should put Encore > Surf since Surf is illegal with Lightningrod. If you're dead set on Physical, you need to be using Extremespeed (don't use Physical).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)