Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 20 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you get the little taglines that appear under the main username on these forums? I know it isn't mod-exclusive...
I'm 99% sure that it's only for badged / previously badged members.
So in other words, if you want a custom title, you need to contribute to smogon in some way.

@coldeye, I wouldn't try to put in psychic on Gengar, it sucks without STAB. The only thing in OU you hit for SE damage is heracross (maybe like one other). Psychic sucks even more in Ubers. Besides, Gengar has great converage on the sets mentioned on this site. If you're going to put a psychic type attack on Gengar, let it be hypnosis.

This is one of the cases I feel really sorry there isn't a "Shadow Meteor" Move, or more Pokemon with Psycho Boost...
Why does Psychic suck so much? Gengar can reliably counter Fighting-types with it (expecially NP Toxicroak)...

This is one of the cases I feel really sorry there isn't a "Shadow Meteor" Move, or more Pokemon with Psycho Boost...
Why does Psychic suck so much? Gengar can reliably counter Fighting-types with it (expecially NP Toxicroak)...
That's mostly because Psychic offers very limited coverage, hitting very little for super-effective and having several resists. Thus, there are often better attacking-types to use for coverage. This is especially true in Gengar's case, where Psychic attacks offer pretty redundant-coverage with Ghost attacks, hitting most of the same things and getting resisted by the same things (like Steel and Dark-types); a fighting attack like Focus Blast gives it much better coverage than Psychic does. As for NP Toxicroak, it's not seen in OU much, so you shouldn't be worrying about it too much.

Well, Psychic is a TM move, I'll try, what;s the worst can happen?
Also, regarding Psychic-types,

@Light Clay
252HP/6SpA/252Spe
Timid nature
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Wish
~Draco Meteor

@Leftovers
252SpA/6SpD/252Spe
Timid nature
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Recover
~Surf

@Choice Specs
252SpA/6SpD/252Spe
Timid nature
~Draco Meteor
~Psychic
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt

Good?
Also, is Psychic a bad type generally?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, Psychic is a TM move, I'll try, what;s the worst can happen?
Also, regarding Psychic-types,

@Light Clay
252HP/6SpA/252Spe
Timid nature
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Wish
~Draco Meteor

@Leftovers
252SpA/6SpD/252Spe
Timid nature
~Calm Mind
~Dragon Pulse
~Recover
~Surf

@Choice Specs
252SpA/6SpD/252Spe
Timid nature
~Draco Meteor
~Psychic
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt

Good?
Also, is Psychic a bad type generally?
First set is in the analysis, except with Roar > Draco Meteor.

Second set is the first set in the Latias analysis.

Third set gets walled by Blissey, and you rarely find yourself using Psychic over Draco Meteor (sheer power and Psychic leaves you more vulnerable to Tyranitar). Trick over Psychic gives you the Specs set.

Also, READ THE GOD DAM ANALYSIS.

Is it possible to get each Pokemon's win % in the monthly stats? (i.e., the % of games won by teams with that Pokemon as a member)

Is it possible to get each Pokemon's win % in the monthly stats? (i.e., the % of games won by teams with that Pokemon as a member)
That would be a useless statistic because the ladder automatically matches people with those who have the closest rating to ones own. How many matches one wins and loses doesn't accurately portray how good one is.

I would be very interested in pokemon win statistics as well. The fact that the ladder pairs even-skilled players makes the statistic more pertinant, if anything. With player skill somewhat controlled for, you can get a glimpse at a pokemon's true utility.

I would be very interested in pokemon win statistics as well. The fact that the ladder pairs even-skilled players makes the statistic more pertinant, if anything. With player skill somewhat controlled for, you can get a glimpse at a pokemon's true utility.
Even so, the information would still be useless. You won't know if it was really that Pokemon that was carrying the win, or if one or more of its teammates did most of the work there, or if it was mostly even (and going further, you don't know why the Pokemon that did most of the work did so; was it mostly because of good prediction, which frequently led to certain Pokemon coming in, and others not needing to, or perhaps the inverse, and some misprediction went down in those matches, causing certain other Pokemon to need to come out. This sort of stuff the statistics would have no way of telling you, making it's usefulness quite questionable). You also won't know how many of the matches were won simply due to stuff like bad team matchups, and so forth.

The key point though is that you don't know why those Pokemon won those matches, and how much of the win in those matches was even due to them, and not their temmates (their's no way of knowing how much of a role they all shared in the wins, meaning the true role any Pokemon played in achieving that numbers of wins is completely unknowable, in effect meaning the percentage really wouldn't have much actual meat behind it).

Putting all this together, the information wouldn't be telling you anything of use due to the inability to factor these things out, so I don't see the point in it being compiled.

Still wondering if there is a way to save wifi battles videos onto the computer: )
There isn't. What you see in Youtube is people using M3 or similar devices so they can use roms in the actual DS. Then they copy the saved game which contains the video and use it with an emulator (a DS emulator, in the computer). They then watch the video while recording the screen using CamStudio or a similar program.

@Naxte: Every one of your objections absolutely impacts any individual battle. However, the statistic I'm interested in is how a pokemon performs over thousands of battles; your concerns are less relevant when dealing with the aggregate. This, to me, would be a worthwhile statistic, even though it would not be a all that meaningful a measure of a pokemon's worth. Comparing win percentage with usage stats could provoke some interesting discussion about why some pokemon are used more than others. Who knows, such stats might even influence the usage stats themselves.

@Life Orb
252Atk/6SpD/252Spe
Jolly nature
~Swords Dance
~Night Slash
~Ice Shard/Ice Punch
~Brick Break
Swords Dance? Sounds risky, without a Focus Sash (which is allready in use by another member on the BT team. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll be sure to use it. Hopefully it will be able to take out foe Weaviles. Plus Protectors will likely not like a Brick Break.

Swords Dance? Sounds risky, without a Focus Sash (which is allready in use by another member on the BT team. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll be sure to use it. Hopefully it will be able to take out foe Weaviles. Plus Protectors will likely not like a Brick Break.
Maybe you ment Screeners, but Protect does block Brick Break. Feint hits Protect and takes it away.
Brick Break destroys Lightscreen and Reflect.

Light Ball Question.

I assume this is the case, but couldn't find any verification elsewhere:

I put a light ball on my 94atk Pikachu, and the stat didn't change. I am supposing that the light ball bumps the stat up to 188, but I am just unable to see that number in the Pokemon Summary. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Perogie.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I assume this is the case, but couldn't find any verification elsewhere:

I put a light ball on my 94atk Pikachu, and the stat didn't change. I am supposing that the light ball bumps the stat up to 188, but I am just unable to see that number in the Pokemon Summary. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Perogie.
Yeah, it's fine. It doesn't show up in the team builder, but it works fine in battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)