Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
1.5 is one stage.

Lowering stats you multiply by 2/3, raising you multiply by 3/2. So let's say you use Swords Dance. Then you raise the stat by 9/4, which is close to 2x.
You were right until you got to the last sentence.

I have a question regarding stat ups/downs.
+1=150% = 3/2
+2=200% = 4/2
+3=250% = 5/2
+4=300% = 6/2
+5=350% = 7/2
+6=400% = 8/2
These are the stat modifiers you use when you stat up but how about when you're stat down(ing).
-1=66% = 2/3
-2=50% = 2/4
-3=40% = 2/5
-4~33% = 2/6
-5~28% = 2/7
-6=25% = 2/8

OK so in the Lucario analysis under the 'All out sweeper' entry, it gives the following data for a CC from max attack LO'd Lucario after one Swords Dance:

Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Skarmory 85.03% - 100.30%

I recently made a damage calculator in Excel using the math from the complete damage formula by X-Act and did the same math, but got different data. I got 84.43 - 99.70%. Given the difference between an possible OHKO and a 2KO, I thought that it might be notable to change if indeed my math was correct. I understand that we knew less about the exact damage formulas and had less accurate calculators back then so I am not trying to criticize the creators of the analyses. I also know that my spreadsheet could be mis-written. I think I found / decided that Metalkid's calculator seemed to not floor (remove the fractional damage) till the last step, and it returns the same values in the analysis. This might be the rare case where the flooring after each step is important.

So my questions - Who do I tell? Can someone else run the math to see if my calculations are off? I am willing to be wrong, it means I need to fix my faulty damage calculator!

OK so in the Lucario analysis under the 'All out sweeper' entry, it gives the following data for a CC from max attack LO'd Lucario after one Swords Dance:

Close Combat vs Max HP/Def Skarmory 85.03% - 100.30%

I recently made a damage calculator in Excel using the math from the complete damage formula by X-Act and did the same math, but got different data. I got 84.43 - 99.70%. Given the difference between an possible OHKO and a 2KO, I thought that it might be notable to change if indeed my math was correct. I understand that we knew less about the exact damage formulas and had less accurate calculators back then so I am not trying to criticize the creators of the analyses. I also know that my spreadsheet could be mis-written. I think I found / decided that Metalkid's calculator seemed to not floor (remove the fractional damage) till the last step, and it returns the same values in the analysis. This might be the rare case where the flooring after each step is important.

So my questions - Who do I tell? Can someone else run the math to see if my calculations are off? I am willing to be wrong, it means I need to fix my faulty damage calculator!
You could send metalkid a PM, here is this profile:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/member.php?u=1126

I remember him posting when somebody said that he was getting bad IV calculations or something like that.

I just got a really nice heatran in a trade.
Good defensive stats, but the one stat that isn't awesome is the 27 in speed. It's modest natured, and I want to run the scarf set.
Should I give him 224 EVs in speed to outrun the base 115s, or max it to outspeed the base 120s?

Can an Azelf with a -attack nature OHKO Blissy with a Life Orbed Explosion?
It's almost guaranteeed WITHOUT Life Orb. (min. ~99% on 252/252 Bold Blissey)

EDIT: Side note to add to the developing story with Metalkid's calculator: Metalkid returns a minimum damage of 709; I'm getting 707.

I just got a really nice heatran in a trade.
Good defensive stats, but the one stat that isn't awesome is the 27 in speed. It's modest natured, and I want to run the scarf set.
Should I give him 224 EVs in speed to outrun the base 115s, or max it to outspeed the base 120s?
Could someone please answer my question?
I'm in a rush, and I need to go soon.

Ok. I heard that hack checks are done through an R4DS or something. Is this what it is? Also, is it a system or a cartridge? Where can I get one? I need one for hack checks on a site I am runnning and just looking at Pokemon through trades isn't working too well.

Ok. I heard that hack checks are done through an R4DS or something. Is this what it is? Also, is it a system or a cartridge? Where can I get one? I need one for hack checks on a site I am runnning and just looking at Pokemon through trades isn't working too well.
Its a flash cartridge that lets you play ds roms. If your buying one it will have to be online as they arent available commercially. If your wanting to hack check you need to get the save file to your computer and check the code of each pokemon. From experience it isnt exactly quick and you have to know what your looking for.

how do you ev train in speed
Raticate, Fearow, Poliwhirl, Medicham, Pikachu, Golbat, Staravia are all worth 2 pts IIRC and you can use a Power Anklet to increase that. You kill them with whatever poke you want to Ev Train

Do you a link to shoddy or something, cuz I don't have it. I also can't do calcs, not that good numbers from pokemon.
Shoddybattle.com.

ok, I downloaded it, but now it brought up all of these server things. What do I do now? And thanks for the link.
Pick a server, Go for Official. That's the best server imo to play. You need to make a team first using Team Builder. Make a team, register a name/pw for the Official Server(Connect to it and there is a tab that says Register)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)