Amoonguss

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No tiering discussion here, right? Sorry if there's a post about this pokémon yet, but I coldn't find any.

Morobareru #591
Type: Grass/Poison
Egg Group: Plant
Gender Ratio: 50:50
Stats: 114 HP/85 Atk/70 Def/85 Sp.Atk/80 Sp.Def/30 Spe
Abilities: Effect Spore: If attacked by a contact move, the attacker has 10% chance of Poisoning, Paralyze or been Put to Sleep.
Regenerate (DW): Restores 1/3 of the HP upon switching out.

Moves:
New moves in Italic.

Lv.-: Absorb
Lv.-: Growth
Lv.-: Astonish
Lv.-: Bide
Lv.6: Growth
Lv.8: Astonish
Lv.12: Bide
Lv.15: Mega Drain
Lv.18: Ingrain
Lv.20: Faint Attack
Lv.24: Sweet Scent
Lv.28: Giga Drain
Lv.32: Toxic
Lv.35: Synthesis
Lv.43: Clear Smog (Poison special, 50BP, 15PP, Never misses, Clear stats changes)
Lv.49: SolarBeam
Lv.59: Power Rage (Bug status, 20PP, Never misses, become the target of all attacks)
Lv.62: Spore

TMs
TM06: Toxic
TM09: Venon Shock (Poison special, 65BP, 10PP, 100% hit, more powerful if the target is Poissoned)
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM22: SolarBeam
TM27: Return
TM32: Double Team
TM36: Sludge Bomb
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Troll (Normal special, 60BP, 15PP, 100% hit, more powerful if an ally used it)
TM53: Energy Ball
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM70: Flash
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute

Breeding
Gastro Acid
Growth
Poisonpowder
Stun Spore
Rollout
Defense Curl
Endure
Body Slam

Overview

First of all, I have to thank Nintendo for this lame excuse for a pokémon that can only put things to sleep. Meet Morobareru, that, with the possible exception of Miruhoggu, is the worst pokémon of Generation V. All he can do is use Spore to put things to sleep, and even in that, Breloom and Parascect, his mushrooms cousins, do better thanks to their better types, movepool and ability. Really, Grass/Poison is a terrible type both offensive and defensively, He's quite bulky with his 114/70/80 defenses and Regeneration, but there are so many Grasses to choose to support that he will become always in the second place. Sure, he gets Spore, but most Sleep Powderers completely outclasses him as they are more uselul, like Venusaur, Roserade, Victreebel and Jumpluff. And his support movepool is resumed to Spore, Toxic and Stun Spore.

Offensively, 85/85 is less than desirable. Sure, he gets Growth, and with that mixed stats, he can be quite potent... until you realize that his only viable moves are Energy Ball, Grass Knot, Sludge Bomb, Venom Shock, Payback, Body Slam, Return and Hidden Power. Overall, there are better options than Morobareru when considering a slot in your team. Poor mushroom.

Current movesets that I can remember now:

At least shitake gets Spore...

@Leftovers
Ability: Regeneration
Calm Nature/Bold Nature
Evs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def

~ Spore
~ Clean Smog
~ Synthesis
~ Grass Knot/Energy Ball

This thing is a shit. The only useful move it learns is Spore, which is useless after Sleep Clause activates. Synthesis is for recovering his best stat: his HP. Your Stab isn't important at all. There are Grass Knot and Energy Ball for you choose. Th last move is a surprise one: Clear Smog, which is like Haze for the opponent only and deals damage, however is Poison, so watchb out for Steels.

Another moveset copied from a better Grass

@Leftovers
Calm Nature/Bold Nature
Evs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.Def

~ Spore
~ Stun Spore/Toxic
~ Synthesis
~ Grass Knot/Venom Shock

OMFG, coping double status strategy is when your Grasser is with nothing more to do. Spore first, and when the foe switches out, Stun Spore for Paralyze or Toxic to Badly Poison. Synthesis because a wall need some way to recover HP. The last move is soley for Taunt. Grass Knot is preferred here if you used SS, but if you used Toxic, the best move is the overlooked Venom Shock, a Poison-type special move that becomes a 130BP STAB if the foe is poisoned.

Grow shitake, grow and do something of your miserable life.

@Leftovers
Quiet Nature
Evs: 16 HP/240 Atk/252 Sp.Atk

~ Growth
~ Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb
~ HP Fire/Payback/Body Slam
~ HP Fire/Payback/Body Slam/Spore/Synthesis

If you want to sweep, go with this set. Growth boosts your Atk and Sp.Atk to decent levels, allowing you to use either Energy Ball or Sludge Bomb with a good amount of power. The movepool ends here. For th other attacks, HP Fire is your best option, as it can ''damage'' Steel-types. Payback has a nice 100BP Dark move if you move after the foe and the foe attacks you (which will often occur). Body Slam is nice for paralysis. On the last slot, you can use a status move, preferably Spore to cripple the opponent, but you can use Synthesis too for recovery.

Feel free to discuss, post suggestions, and admins, to close it if there's something wrong.

Next analysis: Torunerosu or Haderia.

Umm, he's actually a very capable Pokemon. Bulkier than other Grass/Poison Pokemon, such as Venusaur and Roserade, with access to 100% accurate Spore. On top of that, he can counter Water, Fighting, Electric, and other Grass types with ease. Regeneration is a great ability, and he doesn't need to run Synthesis (which will often be reduced anyways). Sludge Bomb / Spore / Stun Spore / Grass Knot could actually work well. He's not the best, but you make him sound like absolute shit, which isn't the case at all. Plus, his design is epic.

I don't want to drag other Pokémon into this, but this guy's not worse than Maggyo. He's OK, and may work alright in UU as a better Spore user than Parasect. But certainly not Luvdisc material. Unless you're just talking about within the scope of Grass-types?

And I wouldn't say Grass/Bug is a better typing.

@Blasphemy1: Yes, yes indeed. I've been waiting for a straight-up mushroom Pokémon for a long time and Nintendo did a fine job of it. I mean, just look at that face. He clearly doesn't give a Rattata's ass about being a mediocre Pokémon.

Ugly looking sprite first of all. Seriously that thing gives spinda some competition. Its blank stare give me that akward feeling only WeeGee can.

Its Stat Spread doesnt really let it do much. I mean it can set up growths all day, but with 30 base speed and a crappy offensive typing/movepool you wont be sweeping entire teams any time soon. Theres always Trick room but there are better pokemon suited for the job.

Its not all bad news though, He is actually decently bulky. He has regeneration,albeit through dream world.

I love how you made a thread about it then bag on it haha. Well it is fucking ugly that's for sure, and its typing is absolute bullshit. GF obviously didn't figure out that Grass/Poison sucks cock. It'll most likely make a nice NU Spore user though. Better than Parasect at least, who can only boost a better movepool.

I really like this guy, and what's wrong with grass/poison? I've always thought that was good typing...fire and ice are so easy to counter that it's not even a problem imo. No this guy is not going to make it very high in the tier list, but that only helps people who play lower tiers by adding a bulky spore abusing mushroom.....Just my 2 cents

I love how you made a thread about it then bag on it haha. Well it is fucking ugly that's for sure, and its typing is absolute bullshit. GF obviously didn't figure out that Grass/Poison sucks cock. It'll most likely make a nice NU Spore user though. Better than Parasect at least, who can only boost a better movepool.
Why do people think Grass/Poison is bad? It's really not... at all!

- Absorbs Toxic Spikes; immune to Toxic
- Resists Fighting, Electric, Water, and Grass; all common attack types (especially Grass in lower tiers)
- Not 4x weak to anything; he can tank HP Fire / HP Ice easily

So yeah, Grass/Poison is one of the best types Grass OR Poison can be paired with.

- Resists Fighting, Electric, Water, and Grass; all common attack types (especially Grass in lower tiers)

So yeah, Grass/Poison is one of the best types Grass OR Poison can be paired with.
Valid points, but offensively he is left to rot. Both STABs are weak offensively, and he gets very little to even harness those with. And though it may resist water and electric AND fighting, it is still weak to fire, ice, and psychic. Bottom line, it's not great typing, especially on something with such a horrible movepool and mediocre stats.

The reason Grass/Poisons probably get such a bad reputation is because the best one offered so far seems to be Roserade.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Thanks. I have to write the true things I think about the pokémon I wrote about. I don't have mercy.

@People who disagreed (and will disagree) bout Parascect > Morobareru: Just personal opinion, pals. I know most of you will say 5x weak fire blablabla Bad typing blablabla Lower stats blablabla but it's just me. As I said above, discuss.

I agree, Grass/Poison is never a bad typing. For example, Venusaur has been dominating UU for months now.

Anyways, I see him as the Parasect of Gen V. Movepool that's mostly lacking except for access to Spore. With Regeneration, that only serves to make his "spore-and-run" tactic easier.

I could see a set like:

Morobareru @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold / Calm
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD /4 Def

~ Spore
~ Stun Spore / Toxic
~ Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
~ Energy Ball / Grass Knot

I mean, it's not entirely unusable, and it actually has an excellent base HP and average defenses with access to Regneration.

yeah its pretty solid defensively, and 114/70/80 bulk is solid as well. With Spore, Toxic, Stun Spore, and Effect Spore, it can disable the opponent as well, and recover some HP with Synthesis, Giga Drain, and Regeneration. I think it could be an alright counter for bulky waters. Run something like Spore/Giga Drain/Growth/Substitute, Spore them first, Sub, Growth, Giga Drain, repeat. Can replace Substitute with Sludge Bomb to counter other Grass types, but you'll still have a lot of trouble dealing with Skarmory, Scizor, and most other steel types.

I think it could definitely see some use on a Sunny Day team, running Spore/Growth/Solar Beam/???(Synthesis, Toxic, Sludge Bomb). The Fire types can get rid of all the Steel, Grass, and Bug types that bother Morobareru, and then this thing can come in and get rid of the Water/Ground/Rock types bothering the Fires (or just sweep completely) with Spore, Growth, and 1 turn Solar Beams.

Or maybe I just really want to sweep a team with a mushroom.

I think what the OP was saying in regards to Parasect having better typing was that it heals through "water absorb" which is handy

You're making this out to be worse than it is. It may have a bad movepool but its stats are pretty good and Regeneration is a cool ability, especially when this guy's main point will be switching in whenever the opportunity to sleep an opponent arises. I kinda see this guy being the premier double statuser of the lower tiers... of course considering how much the double status strategy is used that doesnt say much but hey.

I don't really agree with this pokemon being bad, it has the same base speed as Parasect, (who really has more weaknesses, altough a X4 resist vs ground attack... yay..)
This thing could be very nice in a trickroom team, or it can spore, use growth and probably never sweep but it can hurt something that comes in after that and then run and regenerate the hp it lost and do the same tactic again, or spread toxic and use a 130 BP (195 with stab) attack in Venom Shock, which will hurt even if it is not super effective. I don't think this will dominate in singles, but it has his uses especially in doubles and in triples, don't say this pokemon is something in the line of luvdisc, or caterpie for that matter..

How can you say that sprite is bad? That thing has a beautiful B| face.

Anyway, I think this mon will see more use in multibattles rather than singles. Now, based on what I've read (and feel free to correct this if it's wrong), that Power Rage move seems to be the same thing as Follow Me. It can be used to help partners set up or protect them from SE attacks (Grass especially) and status, Toxic in particular since it's immune to it. Morobareru resists Fighting, Water, Electric, and Grass, which is not a bad set of resistances to have at all considering how common the first three types are.

Combine that with Toxic and Spore support, and it doesn't sound too bad. I agree that it probably won't do too well in singles aside from Spore.

The hate that Grass/Poison gets is amazing. It's like a bandwagon everyone has been joining since Gen 1 without actually taking the time to examine the typing and the changes in the metagame.

Unfortunately for this guy, a Venusaur comparison is inevitable. Venusaur is more powerful, a lot faster, and has mostly the same bulk. The lack of Leaf Storm and physical moves really sucks as well.

Regeneration, Stun Spore, and Spore make him a really nice choice to spread stats though. Shame he doesn't get Toxic Spikes.

It's hard to be downright "bad" with arguably the best move in the game. Parasect somehow manages, but I think this guy will have more going for him. Also, his hands are friggin poke balls. So, there's that.

Grass/Poison isnt exactly "bad" you kno...Venasaur has been like what?The most used poke in UU for like...Ever?All i have to say lul.Im still using Parasect tho =3

I agree, Grass/Poison is never a bad typing. For example, Venusaur has been dominating UU for months now.

Anyways, I see him as the Parasect of Gen V. Movepool that's mostly lacking except for access to Spore. With Regeneration, that only serves to make his "spore-and-run" tactic easier.

I could see a set like:

Morobareru @ Black Sludge
Nature: Bold / Calm
Evs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD /4 Def

~ Spore
~ Stun Spore / Toxic
~ Sludge Bomb / Clear Smog
~ Giga Drain Energy Ball / Grass Knot

I mean, it's not entirely unusable, and it actually has an excellent base HP and average defenses with access to Regneration.
Yeah, Grass/Poison is actually a really good defensive type combination for two otherwise mediocre types. And, like others have said, when you have access to the best move in the game it's kind of hard to be completely terrible. Parasect is pretty underrated as it is. The above set looks like a great way to take advantage of Morobareru's build, except that a defensive grass type should always run giga drain now that it's power has been increased to 75. Energy ball is essentially useless when you can use giga drain, even grass knot is to an extent. I see this guy being a good status spreading tank in UU.

Adding Poison to Grass is almost always a boon both defensively and offensively. It only sucked in RBY when Psychic was the dominating type. In fact, Poison is one of the best types you can add to a Grass Pokemon to make it better. Defensively, Poison takes away your ground resist, which is unfortunate, but only adds a mostly negligible Psychic weakness. Meanwhile Poison adds a resistance to Fighting and 4x resist vs. Grass, and shores up the Bug and Poison weaknesses. Perhaps the most useful thing a Poison typing does for Grass is make it immune to Toxic and absorb Toxic Spikes. Offensively having a second type is always useful as it adds a second STAB. Poison happens to be one of the worst types offensively, but it still lets you hit fellow Grass types with a super-effective STAB move, which would otherwise resist your STAB. Finally, Grass/Poison types almost exclusively have better move pools that pure Grass types.

So please don't say "Grass/Poison is a terrible type both offensive and defensively," it hasn't been true since RBY. There is a reason why Venusaur is considered a top tier UU threat.

Now, as far as this little dude himself goes, he will do quite well defensively in the lower tiers as the most defensive Grass/Poison Pokemon to date. He is also by far the strongest Spore user defensively. Unfortunately it doesn't learn Leech Seed, which would be a great boon, but Regeneration is an awesome ability that will help make up for it. All in all, I think he has more than enough going for him to carve his own niche.

I, for one, am really excited to try this little guy out.

Does anyone else think that this guy can be the new "troll" pokemon ingame? Like in the forest areas, you find a nice item in some corner and then you fight this thing :P. I dunno if I'm right or wrong, since I have not checked any walkthrough for BW.

Regarding the mon itself, I dont think it's that bad. It has Regeneration, nice bulk and Spore. It can easily get in with usefull resists and pseudo haze with Spore. Dont forget that if the enemy is running Taunt he can still haze em with Clear Smog. I dont know the moves distribution but that has to count for something.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Does anyone else think that this guy can be the new "troll" pokemon ingame? Like in the forest areas, you find a nice item in some corner and then you fight this thing :P. I dunno if I'm right or wrong, since I have not checked any walkthrough for BW.
it does exactly this^^ (well this and statusing you when you attack it... stupid effect spore)

on topic: he doesnt seem too bad he is by no means a top tier ou but i think he will see some use in uu as a good double status abuser and thanks to regenaration he will get the cjance to come in again and do the trick over and over and he gets synthesis wich is quite useable in a tier that lacks auto weather.
his biggest problem will be taunt since his attack stats are very low and grass/poison arent the best stabs to have, but he seems pretty solid and while not being spectacular statwise he will find his niche in uu for no doubt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)