Pokémon Alola Exeggutor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z trick room increases accuracy. So that basically turns sleep poweder in a pseudo spore. Could be a cool tactic for trick room teams in doubles.

I'm guessing for the Trick Room Quiet/Brave sets having 0 Speed IVs would be ideal, as well?

Edit: I also wonder if there's any merit to a Mixed set. For example something with:
Dragon Hammer
Leaf Storm/Giga Drain
Earthquake/Flamethrower
Trick Room/Sludge Wave

Last edited:
I'm guessing for the Trick Room Quiet/Brave sets having 0 Speed IVs would be ideal, as well?

Edit: I also wonder if there's any merit to a Mixed set. For example something with:
Dragon Hammer
Leaf Storm/Giga Drain
Earthquake/Flamethrower
Trick Room/Sludge Wave
In sunlight his flamethrower hits hard in a mixed set, and your other moves can be physical. Otherwise I'd go one way or the other.

Other ideas for people to play with:

Leaf Storm/Draco Meteor + Power Swap.

Swords Dance set to beef up his physical attacks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Thanks to the recent reset I've finally been able to toy with the set I wanted:

Exeggutor-Alola @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

How good is this set? Abysmal. But it's probably the best set Eggy has in the OU tier. The investment is so that Banded Bulu is setup fodder, and then the rest goes into SpD.

Before we can talk about any great points of this set, let's talk about its flaws. 1. Coverage options that can force Eggy out are everywhere, so your stall opportunities are limited. 2. You're lower speed than almost every other Pokemon in the tier, making SubSeed very difficult. 3. MVenu ends you. 4. Bulu and Celesteela do it better. 5. I've lost games to long streaks without Harvest triggering.

I've gone up against teams that just can't answer this thing. I've also gone up against teams where I throw Eggy to the fire without it dealing a point of damage. It's never won me a game that Celesteela couldn't have won (some rare cases celesteela would've had a harder time, but still won anyways). The few times I get a match up very heavily favored for Eggy, Harvest decides to never trigger.

Overall, Alolan Eggy is terrible, and don't use it. But if you DO use it, I highly suggest this set. It's hilarious to play with and occasionally you can run into otherwise well-built teams that have an extremely frustrating time trying to break this thing. Free 50% healing without devoting a turn to it (albeit on RNG rolls, but still) is very difficult to pass up, and you can very much stall your opponents out of the game... just don't expect Eggy to do anything like that more than once in a few games at best.

Last edited:
While I'm not the best player here around, I want to give my two cents about this.

DR. EGGMAN'S SPECIAL RECIPE
Exeggutor-Alola @ Choice Specs / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Frisk / Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Leaf Storm / Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb / Synthesis

I can see this special set running two main items, the Choice Specs (which boosts its SpA without cutting its HP), and the Sitrus Berry (to stay longer on the field).
Now the moves:

-For the Specs set, Draco Meteor and Leaf Storm hit like a truck, altough they both lower SpA heavily; Flamethrower is a nice coverage option, and Sludge Bonb can be useful to deal with the Fairy-types that threaten Exeggutor.

-The Sitrus set lacks the raw power of the Specs one, but sticks around for longer thanks to Harvest + Sitrus Berry (guaranteed under Sun): in this case, Giga Drain can act as a better Grass STAB, allowing Exeggutor to regain health. Flamethrower and Draco Meteor are useful moves for coverage and hard-hitting STAB, while Synthesis allows Exeggutor to regain health without always rely on Sitrus Harvest outside of sun.

The EVs spread is chosen to maximize HP and SpA, with a Modest nature to further boost its Special Attack: 8 EVs are put in Spe to outpace other Exeggutors and KO them with Draco Meteor. Harvest is the chosen ability of you opt for Sitrus Berry, as it is the obvious way to make use of this ability; however, be sure to pick Frisk if you decide to use the Specs set, since Harvest will be useless.

THE GLORIOUS HAMMER
Exeggutor-Alola @ Choice Band / Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Hammer
- Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
- Earthquake
- Explosion / Synthesis

This set focuses more on its buffed Attack, and it is less weak to Heatran (the Dr. Eggman's Special is hard walled by it).
The Hammer duo is used as its STAB combo, hitting fairly hard, especially with a Choice Band; however, if a berry is chosen, Seed Bomb can be a more conservative choice that does not lower Exeggutor's HP.
Earthquake is godsent, as it allows Exeggutor to somehow not be hard walled by Fire-types, especially Heatran. The last slot mainly decided by the item: in fact, if a berry is chosen, Synthesis can grant Exeggutor to last longer; if the Choice Band is chosen, Explosion can remove a good chunk of health on a neutral target.
252 Atk and an Adamant nature ensure that Exeggutor reaches its maximum damage output, while almost max HP let it live longer: 8 Spenis used to speed creep opposing Exeggutors and kill 'em with a HAMMER SLAM on their multiple face.
The ability choice depends on the item choice: if the Choice Band is chosen, then Frisk is the only one viable; the decision between Sitrus Berry and Lum Berry is not easy, as one gives Exeggutor more HP when it is low, while the other one is a pseudo burn immunity (more consistent in this set, than in the special one).

"SIDESLOW BOB"
Exeggutor-Alola @ Life Orb / Sitrus Berry / Yache Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower / Earthquake
- Synthesis / Trick Room

OR

Exeggutor-Alola @ Life Orb / Sitrus Berry / Lum Berry / Yache Berry
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Flamethrower / Earthquake
- Synthesis / Trick Room

This is the last sets I can think for Exeggutor: two mixed variants, designed almost exclusively for a Trick Room team.
Leaf Storm and Draco Meteor are the main offensive STABs for the special variant, and they pack immense power at costo of a SpA drop; on the other hand, Dragon Hammer and Wood Hammer are slightly weaker physical options, but there's no drop in offense so they can be spammed more freely.
Flamethrower and Earthquake can be fit in both sets, as they cover Exeggutor weaknesses to Scizor/Ferrothorn (Flamethrower) or Heatran/Fire-types (Earthquake).
As for the last moveslot, Synthesis makes Exeggutor live longerand sponge mediumhots better, while Trick Room is used to play more aggressively and turn its pitiful 45 Spe into a good condition.
Maxed Atk/SpA are used to hit hard on the physical/special spectrum, while max HP ensures Exeggutor can take some hits and retaliate. 0 IVs and a -Spe nature allow Exeggutor to be "faster" than the opponents when under Trick Room.
Again, the item affects the ability:
Life Orb → Frisk
Yache/Sitrus/Lum → Harvest
The choice between Sitrus/Lum/Yache is purely personal: the first gives Exeggutor some needed recovery; the second one is used exclusively for the physical set as a burn shield; finally, the third one turns Exeggutor into a mediocre Electric- and Water-check, halving the power of HP Ice and Ice Beam, while being able to do it repeatedly thanks to Harvest.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks to the recent reset I've finally been able to toy with the set I wanted:

Exeggutor-Alola @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

How good is this set? Abysmal. But it's probably the best set Eggy has in the OU tier. The investment is so that Banded Bulu is setup fodder, and then the rest goes into SpD.

Before we can talk about any great points of this set, let's talk about its flaws. 1. Coverage options that can force Eggy out are everywhere, so your stall opportunities are limited. 2. You're lower speed than almost every other Pokemon in the tier, making SubSeed very difficult. 3. MVenu ends you. 4. Bulu and Celesteela do it better. 5. I've lost games to long streaks without Harvest triggering.

I've gone up against teams that just can't answer this thing. I've also gone up against teams where I throw Eggy to the fire without it dealing a point of damage. It's never won me a game that Celesteela couldn't have won (some rare cases celesteela would've had a harder time, but still won anyways). The few times I get a match up very heavily favored for Eggy, Harvest decides to never trigger.

Overall, Alolan Eggy is terrible, and don't use it. But if you DO use it, I highly suggest this set. It's hilarious to play with and occasionally you can run into otherwise well-built teams that have an extremely frustrating time trying to break this thing. Free 50% healing without devoting a turn to it (albeit on RNG rolls, but still) is very difficult to pass up, and you can very much stall your opponents out of the game... just don't expect Eggy to do anything like that more than once in a few games at best.
Ummm Why a Wiki Berry? It would only restore 1/8 of your HP, so why not go Sitrus?

they heal 50% when at 25% now
So this is a high risk - high reward berry: having a Pokèmon below 1/4 HP is not so appealing: a Sitrus Berry can be better, as it restores the holder to the same amount (75%) and activates earlier.

Probably, only Gluttony Pokémon can make true use of these berries, in particular Alolan Muk which can restore itself to 100% health and unlock Belch when it has half of HP; even though it has a low SpA, I think it can make some damage (think about Boomburst Swellow)

HOLY SHIT
I don't know the English names(sorry) but the berries which healed a low amount of health and confused you when you have the wrong nature for its taste? They heal now MUCH more than Sitrus Berry. I am not sure how much but this is important: With Harvest we could technically turn Harvest Mon in unkillable Sub users
That's actually pretty amazing, but I don't know if Exeggutor himself would be the one it's amazing for. Seems too high risk high reward for this type of Pokemon. Is Showdown updated to reflect this change with those berries yet? I'd definitely like to test some brainstorm sets with them if nothing else.

EDIT: Yup, they are. Going to mess around with it.

Last edited:
After playing around with it a lot I come to the conclusion: Trick Room is mandatory.Trick Room Exeggutor alongside its wonderful movepool is just like using "Agility" on a better Mega Sceptile.

I am still uncertain however which Berry to use on Ex. On the one hand, Rest + Chesto is actually quite useable, but what Exegg would need would be an "offensive" berry.
Maybe someone has an idea for a good berry? I REALLY want to use Harvest effectively as Frisk isn't as good as I thought it would be :/

So this is a high risk - high reward berry: having a Pokèmon below 1/4 HP is not so appealing: a Sitrus Berry can be better, as it restores the holder to the same amount (75%) and activates earlier.
Well not quite. A Sitrus Berry restores 25% of your health, while Wiki restores 50%. Assuming both berries activate in separate matches, you have an effective 125% HP with Sitrus and an effective 150% with Wiki. The risk/reward factor really depends on how effectively you manage your defenses. If they do less than 50%, Wiki is better because the 3HKO turns into a 4HKO. If they do more than 50% but less than 62.5%, Sitrus is better because it activates on that first hit instead of the second hit and turns a 2HKO into 3HKO. If they do 62.5% or more, you're just wasting your time on those berries and should honestly ask yourself why did you let your pokemon take that hit in the first place. It really depends on how well you manage your defenses, not so much a "high risk/high reward" thing.

How do people run this thing? It has almost no positive matchups in this metagame as far as I know. Everything you would switch it in to has a coverage move, or U-Turn/Parting Shot to hit it with. And it's forced to immediately switch out as soon as it attacks.

After playing around with it a lot I come to the conclusion: Trick Room is mandatory.Trick Room Exeggutor alongside its wonderful movepool is just like using "Agility" on a better Mega Sceptile.

I am still uncertain however which Berry to use on Ex. On the one hand, Rest + Chesto is actually quite useable, but what Exegg would need would be an "offensive" berry.
Maybe someone has an idea for a good berry? I REALLY want to use Harvest effectively as Frisk isn't as good as I thought it would be :/
For an offensive berry, I'd say either a Custap Berry or a berry for Natural Gift (probably Watmel). Custap does lose some value when combined with Trick Room, but it could be used as a backup, since if your HP is within Custap range, it probably isn't safe to set up Trick Room.

Probably, only Gluttony Pokémon can make true use of these berries, in particular Alolan Muk which can restore itself to 100% health and unlock Belch when it has half of HP; even though it has a low SpA, I think it can make some damage (think about Boomburst Swellow)
Off topic Gluttony Snorlax + Confuse Berry + Recycle = 20 PP Recover. 0 damage Belly Drum is kinda neat too.

On topic, with these confuse berries I only see them being viable on a tankier exeggsutor because getting down to 25% would take an absurd hit or multiple hits. I'd run sitrus on higher damage builds.

Off topic Gluttony Snorlax + Confuse Berry + Recycle = 20 PP Recover. 0 damage Belly Drum is kinda neat too.

On topic, with these confuse berries I only see them being viable on a tankier exeggsutor because getting down to 25% would take an absurd hit or multiple hits. I'd run sitrus on higher damage builds.
Exeggutor is tanky, somehow: it had a nice resist on Water/Electric/Grass, three common types; moreover, it is very slow, and has nice offensive stats, making it a good choice in dedicated Trick Room teams; finally, it even has access to 3 solid recovery options in Sitrus-Harvest, ChestoRest, and Synthesis.

Thing is: although the "Ex-Useless Berries" (Figy/Wiki/Mago/Aguav/Iapapa) give it an automatic Synthesis when HP < 25%, I can see that a Sitrus is more reliable on this thing: in fact, the difference between a EUBerry and a clean KO is almost non-existant, since Eggy's type has bad weakspots to Dragon, Ice, Flying, and Fairy

Offtopic: Pyukumu-kukuku I didn't get the thing about Snorlax :/

Exeggutor is tanky, somehow: it had a nice resist on Water/Electric/Grass, three common types; moreover, it is very slow, and has nice offensive stats, making it a good choice in dedicated Trick Room teams; finally, it even has access to 3 solid recovery options in Sitrus-Harvest, ChestoRest, and Synthesis.

Thing is: although the "Ex-Useless Berries" (Figy/Wiki/Mago/Aguav/Iapapa) give it an automatic Synthesis when HP < 25%, I can see that a Sitrus is more reliable on this thing: in fact, the difference between a EUBerry and a clean KO is almost non-existant, since Eggy's type has bad weakspots to Dragon, Ice, Flying, and Fairy

Offtopic: Pyukumu-kukuku I didn't get the thing about Snorlax :/
I should be more clear, I meant it your using it more as a stall tank than a bruiser. It does have 4 solid resists but 6 weaknesses as well. With the OP build I don't feel like you would get the berry to trigger reliably with the confuse berries. I feel like sitrus would be safer on the OP build because of it triggering at 50% meaning it has potentially one extra turn to trigger Harvest against mediocre hits.

With Gluttony on snorlax he'll eat a berry at 50% which can be triggered by Belly Drum. On the other hand with Recycle he can recover the berry after he eats it. Takes 50%+ damage > eats berry > Recycle berry. It's basically a setup Recover in a way.

I feel like everyone is hating on Eggy here when he's quite solid. Although I doubt he'll be OU material, he's in no way bad. His TR set is probably the best & makes him quite terrifying but if played with correctly, he can be quite a nuisance for many w/o the use of trick room.

This is what I personally run but fairly straightforward
Nature: Modest Item: Sitrus Berry
252HP 252 SpA 6 def
-Synthesis
-Draco Meteor
-Giga Drain
-Flamethrower

Idk about you guys but my Eggy has never gone down to a OHKO unless it was an Ice or strong Dragon/Fairy/Poison attack. So outside of taking SEs to the face or someone is boosted, you should be able to take a hit meanwhIle dropping a Draco or whatever coverage attack with your sitrus activating. if someone is about to deliver a hard hitting move but has drawbacks, you can predict with synthesis which will bring you back to 76-100% then be reloaded to respond, or just Giga Drain for solid dmg+recovery. Ultimately the idea is that as long as Eggy isn't getting blown away, he should have casual longevity to dish out damage where it can before you decide to sack it for the greater good. Plus I find this to be the perfect counter to Celsteela without forcing my team to run a Magnet Pull trapper like Magnezone or A-Golem. 4x resist to water, grass, & electric is huge, especially since he doesn't care about scald burns & electric attacks are flying around everywhere in gen7. Status is even a non-worry for the most part since Eggy isn't meant to be a stall wall. You should be looking to drop Draco to blow fools up & then switch out, just Eggy does have the capability of staying on the field for a long time if a team isn't prepared.

Is it worth pointing out that if you can evolve a Transferred Exeggcute into Alolan Exeggutor, you can get Custap/Harvest/Endure with pretty high attacking stats?

Is it worth pointing out that if you can evolve a Transferred Exeggcute into Alolan Exeggutor, you can get Custap/Harvest/Endure with pretty high attacking stats?
That's not how it works. Endure is a gen 4 tutor move, harvest is a hidden ability (gen 5 and up only). They're incompatible. Plus, custap is currently unreleased in SM.

That's actually kind of scary (assuming it works): Gets knocked down to <1/4 > eats berry > priority attack > (possible harvest) > protect > (possible Harvest) > priority attack. If you just protect on the turns you you don't harvest and attack when you have the berry you can have some 80+ BP STAB +1 priority moves. I feel like I'm missing something that would prevent this from being broken because nobody has run it before that I've heard of.

I am going to put this in a team and i was thinking.

Harvest , Lum berry
Curse
Rest
Dragon Hammer
Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb

I am going to put this in a team and i was thinking.

Harvest , Lum berry
Curse
Rest
Dragon Hammer
Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
I would run Chesto over Lum in this case, that way if your low and statused chesto will only kick when you hit rest (which will replace the status with sleep) That way if harvest doesn't kick that turn you won't need to sleep through a turn for the next harvest to cure the sleep from rest.

That's a good idea my only concern was because of his speed getting burnt before attacking.

Lum would hopefully cure burn before I attack then be back at the end of the turn or the turn after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)