Other Metagames [AG] Equilibrium-A study of AG team archetypes

First, some classical music for your enjoyment:

What makes a team in Anything Goes successful?

This is a question that nearly every AG player asks themselves before teambuilding. Let’s take a closer look at it.

Pokémon is based off of a key concept-KO the opponent’s team before they KO yours. Each Pokémon in a team is made up of six statistics, and item and four moves. Three key team archetypes have arisen within Anything Goes to meet this task-Stall, which focuses on slowly eating away each Pokémon’s health, Hyper Offensive, which focuses on using Speed and Attack/Special attack to quickly eat up an opponent’s team and Balance, which attempts to be an intermediary between the two. However, no Pokémon is made perfect, and this shows in the weaknesses of each play style. Stall, particularly in Anything Goes, is worthless once a Pokémon with sufficient Speed and Power starts eating up its specific checks and counters, Hyper Offensive cannot stand up to an extended battle in which no real momentum can be seized and Balanced is susceptible to lacking the power to break up a good stall team and thus slowly falling to Toxic and WoW.

But what if this wasn’t always the case?

There’s no way to remedy a Hyper Offensive team’s poor defence without losing Attack. There’s no way to remedy a Stall team’s passive nature without losing the purpose of the team. But there is a way for balanced teams to remedy their weakness to stall.

Toxic is dangerous, slowly building up power through the battle, but it can’t scratch Steel types, and its damage can be healed off when switching frequently. WoW cripples physical attackers, but with strategy physical attackers don’t need to risk exposure to this.

As such, a balanced team with enough defence and phasing to deal with Hyper Offensive and enough strategy to deal with Stall and Balanced is the best possible team archetype. This team is my attempt on manifesting this concept.

Presenting…
Equilibrium
A study of Anything Goes archetypes

Teambuilding process
At a glance:

In-depth:

So, initially, I looked to create a strong defensive backbone. I considered BlissTina, but found it to be too passive for my needs. However, the correct concept was there. I moved on to considering Arceus forms, and elected Arceus-Ground as a strong physically defensive Pokémon and Arceus-Steel as a strong specially defensive Pokémon.

Next up I needed to adapt the team to be able to not only deal with offensive pressure but to crush what could be called defensive pressure. As such, I rang up the most broken Pokémon in the tier, Banded Mray.

Banded Mray was, at this point, my main damage dealer. However, it’s tricky getting it in safely, so I decided that a slow U-turn would do the trick. As such, I put Yveltal onto the team.

From here I began looking at problems with the team, and one of these problems was that it got pretty much 6-0’ed by Darkrai. Seeing this, I put on one of the more viable counters to Darkrai, this being ScarfXern.

I continued looking for problems in the team at this point. I did notice that Ho-Oh gave the team a little trouble, but nothing that couldn’t be played around. However, GeoXern with Focus Blast could outright 6-0 at this point. Seeing this, I added Swagkeys, which fixes this problem and adds a blanket check to more than half of the tier.

Is this keeping in check with that awful, long, rambling speech that didn’t really make sense at the top of this post?

I believe that this team is not close to perfect, thus why I post it here, but I believe that it goes a fair amount of the way to addressing the concepts discussed previously. It possesses enough defensive backbone to take a beating from Hyper Offense/Balance and still come through with a win as well as enough offense and positive typings to nuke stall like the cancer it is deal with stall.
In-depth

@ Earth Plate

Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

Arceus-Ground is, as said previously, the first member of the defensive backbone of the team. As can be seen, the highest possible defensive EVs have been pumped into it for optimum effectiveness. I’ve elected to go with a special set, since it hits Pdon harder than the physical set. Will-o-wisp is a nasty surprise for any physical attacker who thinks they can take advantage of Arceus-Ground’s attack capabilities. I’ve chosen to put Stealth Rock on over Defog or Roar here because consistent rocks throughout the battle allow for my team to slowly grind down teams.
@ Iron Plate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roar
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog

Arceus-Steel completes the most defensive aspect of this team. Due to the special defence EVs it can take a variety of special attacks without too much fear, even super-effective ones. It, of course, can’t stay in on consistent, strong, super effective special attacks, but it does its job well enough. Defog is used liberally unless an opponent carries Ho-Oh, since both Yveltal and Rayquaza-Mega hate rocks. Judgment isn’t used an awful lot on this set, but it’s still here to avoid Taunt and to force out overly confident Fairies. Roar is for general phasing and is used liberally to avoid a well-placed physical attacker coming in on it.
@ Choice Band

Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- Extreme Speed

BandRay is perhaps the most broken Pokémon in the tier. No Pokémon can take all of its attacks well once rocks are up, with even Giratina falling to multiple Dragon Ascents. This is a fairly stock-standard set, not too much to discuss. Waterfall has been opted for over Earthquake since Arceus-Rock is non-existent; Arceus-Steel falls to V-Create and Waterfall OHKO’s Pdon.

@ Leftovers

Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- U-turn

This Yveltal set has been optimised for physical defense. When I first brought it ontot he team I wanted a slow U-turn to let in Rayquaza-Mega safely, but due to it’s defense Yveltal can put a stop to a myriad of other Pokémon. Foul play shuts down any Pokemon trying to set up a physical sweep, and in the high ladder particularly Toxic is great for when these Pokemon switch out to another Pokémon that can better take a Foul Play, such as Fairyceus or Xerneas. Roost is for stalling out any Pokémon who feels like staying in after Toxic even though they can’t significantly damage Yveltal. U-turn is for letting in Rayquaza-Mega safely, which does wonders for the team’s momentum and flexibility.
@ Choice Scarf

Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 32 Def / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk

Scarfed Xerneas, despite primarily being wanted to deal with Darkrai, deals with a great deal of other threats. GeoXern is relatively difficult to use in high ladder, with only one free turn being hard to pick up. As such, Scarfed Xerneas is one of, if not the best, Xerneas set around right now. This particular set has had it EVs stolen straight from the Smogdex, but the set itself was first used by Zangooser, to the best of my knowledge. The idea here is, even if Darkrai puts Xerneas to sleep, Xerneas can still use a scarfed Sleep Talk and score an OHKO. Unfortunately, this doesn’t always work, since most Darkrai switch out when Xerneas comes in on it out of fear of a Scarfed set.
@ Leftovers

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger
- Foul Play

If BandRay isn’t the most broken Pokémon in the Anything Goes tier Klefki is. Added initially as something to deal with Xerneas Klefki can mess with nearly any Pokémon in the tier and even act as a wincon. This is a stock standard Swagkeys set, nothing particularly special here.

Usage guide

To start with, lead with Groundceus unless an obvious counter-lead is present. Don’t hesitate to WoW a physical opponent, even if you suspect that it’s carrying a Lum Berry. Attempt to keep rocks up throughout the battle, but don’t prioritize it over keeping Groundceus alive.

Special attackers should be met with Steelceus. Even super-effective attacks don’t hurt Steelceus too much, so don’t be afraid to use it often. Roar should be used liberally, especially with rocks up.

Assess the tide of the battle frequently. If you need to grind the opponent’s team down more to allow Yveltal or Rayquaza-Mega in do so, the defensive backbone can keep up with it. Once it becomes possible, use Rayquaza-Mega as frequently as possible. Every time it comes in it should be able to secure at least one KO, making it a key asset to the team’s victory.

Klefki should be used in a similar fashion to Rayquaza-Mega, simply to different extents. Paralyse everything; it makes it so much easier for Rayquaza-Mega and ScarfXern to clean up at the end. If it’s a possibility, set up with Klefki and attempt to start sweeping. You’ll get called lots of nice names, but it’s only a game, and it’s not like Klefki’s a banned Pokémon.

ScarfXern is a different case to Rayquaza-Mega, it simply lacks the power to do serious damage. Use it when it’s safe to do so, especially on Darkrai, but if it’s possible to use either Rayquaza-Mega or Xerneas safely, go with Rayquaza-Mega.

Don’t underestimate your opponent. Don’t go for a premature victory with Rayquaza-Mega, it doesn’t work well without the correct support. Keep grinding down your opponent if it seems even slightly dangerous to bring in Rayquaza-Mega. Be wary of lures, there are lots of good ones out there. The best way to find and deal with lures is simply to not bring in anything too valuable against an unfamiliar Pokemon until it’s obvious that it doesn’t pose a threat. Pretty much, don’t be stupid with the team, it’s only as good as whoever’s using it.​

Threatlist

Ho-Oh: Keep up your rocks. Even though Arceus-Ground can’t touch it Ho-Oh can’t really hurt it back, so PP stall it out. A Ho-Oh without Sacred Fire or Brave Bird is a sitting duck; it’s not too much of a problem after you’ve gotten rid of one of these moves.

Darkrai: Even with ScarfXern Darkrai’s still a problem. Outside of ScarfXern there’s no good way to deal with this monster, just play smart and hope that your opponent doesn’t.

Klefki: Forfeit. In all seriousness, your best bet against Klefki is Arceus-Ground, but even that’s not too good. Short of Diancie or Sableye-Mega Klefki or a double regenerator core Klefki can’t be stopped easily. Play smart, and hope your opponent doesn’t.

Rayquaza-Mega: In particular, the Band and Specs sets are hard to deal with. The best way to deal with this is status, if you can see them coming in, or manoeuvre Xerneas in safely.

Stealth Rock: Arceus-Steel isn’t able to use Defog consistently, and as such Stealth Rock is a persistent issue. Essentially, try not to use Yveltal/Rayquaza-Mega too much while it’s up and, at the earliest convenience, Defog.

I can’t think of anything else right now, but if you see something wrong with it please say so, the entire point of posting the team here is to make it better.​
Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-406111445 - Me vs Tic-Tac-Toe Guru, good example of how the dual Arceus defensive backbone can grind a team down.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-406227306 - Me vs siddhu116, good example of how, even when haxed, the team can pull through. Or it could just be an example of why Substitute should be a staple on all Darkrai. You decide.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/anythinggoes-407777766 - Me vs brtx, just a general insight into how the team works. It was a close game, probably due to a mixture of bad plays on my part and luck, but my team came through in the end.

I don’t have too many of these atm, I’ll try to post some more later.

Well, that’s it! Please leave behind your thoughts on the team, particularly flaws in the team, this sort of feedback helps a lot.​

Attachments

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hi Sage! You have what seems like a somewhat unique take at AG Balance; however, I have a few suggestions that could aid further progression. Not running Ho-Oh on Balance leaves you at a severe disadvantage, and with the current team I'd find it hard to slot it in without a complete rehaul, and we're not playing Monotype so I won't be rehauling your team for you.

• -->
    ; Steel Arceus doesn't offer much to the synergy of the team and should always be avoided on Balance builds due to the limited utility it possesses on the playstyle. On Offense it offers a useful switchin to Arceus and Mega Rayquaza's primary attacks, while on Stall it offers a switch in to Toxic and a way to prevent Refresh Calm Mind Fairyceus which can be a threat towards Ho-Oh lacking stall. It has no place on the Balance playstyle unless you're severely Fairy Arceus weak (which you are not), and even then there are other alternative options. While looking at your team, it seems as if once Mega Rayquaza is taken care of, you're incredibly passive and can't break most opposing walls. That's why I suggest Primal Groudon. Xerneas and other Fairies bar Mega Diancie are taken care of with Klefki; although, having this extra solution is beneficial especially when Steel Arceus generally can't handle the aforementioned fairy threats. With how passive your team is at the moment, Id suggest an offensive Paradancer spread, also aiding Klefki setup late game with the paralysis condition already being applied. Also your Ho-Oh weakness is somewhat mitigated, which is incredibly helpful considering how dangerous it already is.
  • U-turn --> Sucker Punch, Toxic --> Taunt; Defensive U-turn Yveltal should generally be avoided especially on Gengar lacking squads like this (especially because Yveltal lacks a wide range of Pokémon to pivot on: Arceus has Stone Edge and may stay in, Rayquaza may carry Draco). Sucker Punch allows the prevention of Mega Rayquaza and other potent threats from doing major damage when Yveltal is low on health, as well as preventing Mega Gengar and Mewtwo from damaging it while in this range. Toxic is generally an alright option, and isn't incredibly detrimental if you choose to keep; however, with the presence of Thunder Wave on two other members, you may be shooting yourself in the foot. Since you aren't running Darkrai, it isn't incredibly detrimental to mix status like this, and often Klefki can benefit from ToxicFusion as well. Taunt allows a bit of added support when facing Klefki, which shouldn't really be a threat due to the presence of Ground Arceus combined with multiple Leftovers users; albeit, with the additional utility on top of this, it's quite a hard move to pass up on. Toxic still works, just not as efficiently.
  • EVs: 4 HP --> 4 SpD;
    To prevent Genesect obtaining a boost on Ice Beam, while preventing the Stealth Rock 4HKO.
  • EVs: 32 Def / 224 Spe --> 72 Def / 184 Spe; Since +1 290 is not a relevant speed tier in the Anything Goes metagame due to the rarity of Regular Rayquaza, the additional Speed is being wasted. Might as well hit +1 280, a relevant speed tier, outspeeding neutral base 90s at +1 (like Modest Scarf Kyogre) and placing the remainder in Defense to help deal with Extreme Killer and alternate offensive Arceus formes.

• EVs: 252 Def --> 252 SpD;
    Potentially the most important EV change of the lot, placing the EVs in SpD allows Klefki to more efficiently check Xerneas and Fairy Arceus, while still avoiding the OHKO from Arceus Earthquake, in which it probably should not stay in on unless under the protection of a Substitute. In general, SpD is preferred due to Klefki's nature of checking Xerneas efficiently; unless of course you're incredibly Arceus weak, which you are not.
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Atk / 48 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- V-create
- Extreme Speed
- Waterfall

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Sleep Talk

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Substitute

Regardless, nice team. I'm a bit weary of the Ground Arceus and its effect on the late game with Will-O-Wisp; however, I couldn't find a way to alleviate this stress. Hope this rate helps.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey man, so before I actually rate the team I was talking with zangooser and essentially I don't think there's a reason to change the xern spread. Yours is standard for a reason and the team is already annoyed enough by Deo-A without changing Xern to not outspeed Deo's standard spread for just a little more bulk. Additionally, I think U-Turn Yveltal really does support the team with slow pivoting into ray, the changes to its set are more preference than actually necessary, and while I think sucker could be useful here I'd just consider them before changing.

Anyway, there's a lot that needs to be covered as the current iteration of the team is really weak to Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Aromatherapy Geoxern, and I do agree with Zangooser that Steelceus really isn't necessary for the team as its sole defensive contributions are pivoting into bandray and checking scarf xern. However, I think the standard defensive Pdon spread could benefit you more in taking on the aforementioned threats in combination with my other major change. For this team, all Groundceus is doing is threatening Pdon. Other than that, its defensive utility is severely limited compared to other potential formes. In this case, I'd like to suggest a Water Arceus to more effectively take on Ho-Oh which you really can't afford to lose more ground to. While it is weaker vs Swords Dance Pdon, you still have the opportunity to pivot around with Waterfall Ray and Yveltal. This change to your defensive core should significantly improve your matchup versus a number of threats while still having the same offensive plan of breaking things with ray before cleaning with Xern.

The last thing that you should consider is changing the Klefki set. Standard Swagger isn't going to be terrible, but it also doesn't really work with Klefki's full defensive utility on a team that really needs it to check stuff. Running Flash Cannon (in addition to the 252 spdef spread) would really help with Darkrai and Mega Diancie, as well as chipping Xerneas slightly better (although you still need to play with Pdon carefully in case of Aromatherapy). I'd recommend running it over Substitute rather than removing Foul Play, since the latter still has utility while Klefki really doesn't want to be chipping away at itself early game. You could even look at Spikes over Swagger if you want to have an even easier time cleaning with Scarf Xern as well as alleviating some pressure to carry defog on the team, although I understand that you still want to have the option of swagger+twaving through opponents available. I hope these changes help!
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Roar

Arceus-Water @ Splash Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Defog
- Judgment

Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Swagger / Spikes
- Flash Cannon
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Hi Sage! (Kappa)
I do like the team but I disagree with the little bit in the beginning. Anybody can say "Hyper Offense is technically the best if it has the power to overpower other HO teams and consistently gain enough momentum to steamroll through Stall" or "Stall is technically the best if it can prevent any offensive team from gaining any momentum, while slowly withering opponents regardless of play-style" and it doesn't mean anything. I also don't think Klefki is a very broken Pokemon, nothing close to Glalie, which literally breaks the game. (Broken doesn't necessarily equate to good, but Klefki is too consistently "good" to be "broken." Broken implies that is can sway games very easily and consistently)

Also, I think you should consider running Will-O-Wisp on Arceus-Steel and Defog on Arceus-Ground as Arceus-Steel is weak to P-don, one of the most common SR setters in AG, while Arceus-Ground beats both P-Don and Diancie 1 on 1. Also, Arceus-Steel will gain more advantage from having W-O-W as it has Roar. (Sadly, your team becomes a little weaker to Earthquake, but seeing as your Groundceus doesn't have Roar, your team was already weak to DD M-ray.) And I think you seriously need Taunt on Yveltal or your team will probably suffer a terrible win rate to a team like mine (idk how many people uses stall teams these days, but one of your team criteria is the ability to handle stall, iirc)

And I'd say you'll need a DD M-Ray counter (as I'm not seeing a better answer to it other than Sucker Punch from Yveltal + Banded E-speed if a M-ray comes in on your Arceus-Ground, maybe I'm wrong), a good answer to Primal Kyogre (I can imagine that it would put a big dent to your team), something to deal with Klefki (Arceus-Ground is the only thing that keeps it from terribly messing it up, and Arceus-Ground will take a chunk from Foul Play too), and a way to deal with stall. As the only thing I see in your them that will put a dent in the Ho-oh + Giratina + Clefable (the core used by Hunter and I, which I think are the best stall teams) is Band Ray, but the other three mons will deal with M-Ray sooner or later.

So yeah, it seems like this balanced team needs a way to deal with Offensive monsters and Defensive monsters, so it has a long way to go. (Unless I'm mistaken about some major part of the team) But this also means you have a lot of room to improve on, so I'd like to see how you could tweak this team to make it better than it currently is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)