Aegislash

Knight of Cydonia

I COULD BE BANNED!
I did a search and there is no mention of Air Balloon at all. It's one of the many options Aegislash has and is particularly useful for spin blocking Excadrill and walling Gliscor, Garchomp, Landorus-t and Landorus-i amongst others. These traits are very useful for HO at least which is what I was using it on.

I did a search and there is no mention of Air Balloon at all. It's one of the many options Aegislash has and is particularly useful for spin blocking Excadrill and walling Gliscor, Garchomp, Landorus-t and Landorus-i amongst others. These traits are very useful for HO at least which is what I was using it on.
Hmm.. against a Gliscor or Landorus.. a U-turn (or Knock Off from certain Gliscor variants) could come and pop the balloon if they catch you on the switch

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will add Balloon to OO, it has some very situational use on offensive teams in desperate need of a Landorus / Garchomp / Excadrill check.

For C&C, Zapdos could be worth mentioning as at least a counter to non-SD Aegislash (and even a check to that, from my experience):
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Zapdos: 124-147 (32.3 - 38.3%) -- 3.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Spell Tag Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Zapdos: 150-177 (39.1 - 46.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Zapdos: 161-191 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 244+ SpD Zapdos: 161-192 (42 - 50.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 4 Atk Spell Tag Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 84-100 (21.9 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 4 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 91-109 (23.7 - 28.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
With Life Orb or Spell Tag, Aegislash can in theory 2HKO with Stealth Rock up; but in practice, this is at best a 50/50 situation for the Aegislash and most of the time worse, as Zapdos is always faster and even barely survives a LO Shadow Sneak after the attack and Stealth Rock. It will probably OHKO the Blade with Heat Wave because of the recoil of LO, and even the Shield can be worn down by alternatingly Roost-stalling and using Heat Wave and predicting King's Shield turns. Life Orb actually makes this easier because of the recoil.

EDIT: sorry, those should be Blade calculations obviously. I just applied the 150 attacking stats to the shieldform

Last edited:
I'm not sure that 12 EV to out speed Ttar is good idea.

When you attack Ttar first due out speed. You will surly OHKO Back.

If you attack last you will survive Ttar Crunch and have chance to king's shield(even not help much) or do some more damage with shadow sneak.

But IV speed 0 is not option due you need to out speed defensive pokemon like pink blob.

Only good to out speed is when you can catch Ttar switch in with Scared Sword(Also need rock up)

0 Atk Aegislash-Shield Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 140-168 (34.6 - 41.5%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Given Aegislash has excellent typing to break the stall of Blissey and Chansey, it should have enough Speed EVs to outspeed them. This is especially important if one is using Iron Head as opposed to Sacred Sword. 12 Speed EVs + Lonely (subtracts defense) gives you enough to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar. Blissey is unlikely to speed creep that since it would cost it 52 Speed EVs to tie it.

Given Aegislash has excellent typing to break the stall of Blissey and Chansey, it should have enough Speed EVs to outspeed them. This is especially important if one is using Iron Head as opposed to Sacred Sword. 12 Speed EVs + Lonely (subtracts defense) gives you enough to outspeed Adamant Tyranitar. Blissey is unlikely to speed creep that since it would cost it 52 Speed EVs to tie it.
There no point in outspeeding Blissey/Chansey because they can't do shit to Aegislash.

Last edited:
"Shadow ball simply crumbles" sounds really redundant when it's the set name. I understand the joke but you should reword it so it actually sounds good :p

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Why is the SD set still relavant?
It's actually a pretty deadly late game sweeper because it's basically impossible to stop from setting up at least 1 SD. It's piss easy to check with a bulky ground type, but at the end of the game when the bulky pivots and such are just worn down too much it can clean up.

It's actually a pretty deadly late game sweeper because it's basically impossible to stop from setting up at least 1 SD. It's piss easy to check with a bulky ground type, but at the end of the game when the bulky pivots and such are just worn down too much it can clean up.
A lot of other things do this better. Aegislash is better at breaking walls, when SD Aegislash loses to almost anything that can take a Shadow Sneak. I would rather do 65% to Landorus-T with Shadow Ball then do 20% with a +1 Shadow Sneak and die. I would really like to see SD Aegislash move to OO. The ladder spams SD Aegislash because "OH WOW IT GETS SWORDS DANCE" when it just doesn't work.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A lot of other things do this better. Aegislash is better at breaking walls, when SD Aegislash loses to almost anything that can take a Shadow Sneak. I would rather do 65% to Landorus-T with Shadow Ball then do 20% with a +1 Shadow Sneak and die. I would really like to see SD Aegislash move to OO. The ladder spams SD Aegislash because "OH WOW IT GETS SWORDS DANCE" when it just doesn't work.
With proper ways to handle it removed, SD Aegislash can certainly sweep. I've been swept by at least one or two myself, and have used it a little bit to success. SD sweeper is a perfectly viable role for Aegislash.

With proper ways to handle it removed, SD Aegislash can certainly sweep. I've been swept by at least one or two myself, and have used it a little bit to success. SD sweeper is a perfectly viable role for Aegislash.
Not consistently. It's somewhat viable, just very easy to play around.

Granted I pretty much never saw an SD aegis since the very beginning of pokebankbeta since it was more or less entirely replaced by a shadow ball nuker in the higher ladders. Problem is, anything you would consider switching into a mixed aegis( buzz, megasaur, sdef hippo, etc) still hard trolls the terrible sd set. Not to mention the amount of things with easy access to burns.

Last edited:

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Agreed with TFL that toxic Aegislash is very good at messing with a couple typical switch ins, as well, Aegislash is really good in general at toxic stalling thanks to King's shild + leftovers and every other ridiculous defensive attribute it has. Biggest issue is that BIsharp becomes a fair bit better against you which isnt that great, unless youre dropping shadow sneak and not sacred sword for toxic.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can you slash or at least mention in the Moves section Pursuit on crumbler? I threw such a Pokemon onto a HO team that was having trouble with the Latis and it eliminated them super easily. It's honestly the best way to take out the Lati twins besides like Tyranitar...I really think it should be included in the analysis. You need the Attack EVs in crumbler and a Life Orb to have KOs on Latios and Latias, so I think that's the only set that should run it. Anyways, I've had immense success using it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pursuit and Toxic will be added, thanks guys. Also, i will separate the 3 attacks + SD set from the one with King's Shield, as they play very different and the first is so much better. I will also change it EV spread to max Speed, as outspeeding Mandibuzz, defensive Rotom-W, Landorus-T, defensive Heatran, defensive Tyranitar, defensive Mega Venusaur, Skarmory, and defensive Excadrill is great, and you can OHKO all those with the right move.

I tried the 1st set & didn't like the loss of Sacred Sword's damage (which cost me a few games), so I used a Brave nature, put EVs into Attack, and used Iron Head & Shadow Sneak instead.

I tried the 1st set & didn't like the loss of Sacred Sword's damage (which cost me a few games), so I used a Brave nature, put EVs into Attack, and used Iron Head & Shadow Sneak instead.
Your point? The face that you lost using one set doesn't make another one better.

alexwolf A few minor suggestions:
Overview said:
Great wallbreaker
  • I think it would be wise to mention reasons why it is a great Wallbreaker (Excellent coverage, great power, Stealth Rock resistance, Toxic immunity, etc.)
Overview said:
Checks a ton of Pokemon
  • This statement is somewhat vague. I would personally change it to "Aegislash's excellent typing allows it to check many common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Mega Lucario"
Overview said:
Good spinblocker
  • I would remove this point. Unless Aegislash uses Air Balloon, it is not getting past Excadrill and Donphan, two relatively common Rapid Spin users in the metagame.
  • In the Set details of the Tank set, I would mention that Aegislash can be of great use on teams in need of a Mega Lucario check, as Aegislash is one of the few Pokemon that can reliably check it
  • Hydreigon could potentially be mentioned as a teammate in nearly all of the sets, as it has perfect defensive synergy with Aegislash and appreciates the removal of Fairy-types
  • It could be mentioned in the Set Details of the wallbreaker set and moves section of the Autotomaize set that HP Ice can 2HKO physically defensive Mandibuzz, although I'm unsure about this as Mandibuzz could easily use Roost to avoid taking much damae from a second HP Ice or OHKO Blade Aegislash with Foul Play
  • In the OO section, I would mention that the Air Balloon could be used to check ground-types such as Garchomp and Excadrill, similar to Air Balloon Heatran
I'm not QC however and a large amount of these suggestions are minor, so this doesn't have to be implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)