ORAS OU Absol-Ute HO (Peaked 1667 ELO)

INTRODUCTION
'Sup everyone, it's been a while since I've uploaded something on smogon forums and I recently got a really fun team so I decided to share it with you all.

Before going into the team analysis I want to thank Dirkhann/ Hiei Jaganshi (Showdown nickname), the creator/owner of this team, for allowing me to use his team in the OU ladder and OU tours.

DANCE IN THE SHADOWS (ORAS OU TEAM).png

TEAM ANALYSIS

This team was built around M-Absol mainly because of it's insane speed tier + good coverage with also a pretty high Atk stat.

Needed a Steel type to compliment it offensively and also threaten common defensive cores, so I picked Lucario which also gave me a solid Fairy killer.

Looking at this core, I definetely needed a physical tank to check birds such as Talon/Raptor and M-Pinsir (I know Pinsir isnt a bird, dont torture me :c) and set up rocks, so Garchomp was an obvious choice.

I wanted a Fairy switching that also retained offensive presence and a secondary Fairy killer, so Scizor was my next pick as he provided me with a third priority user and third win condition.

Added Weavile to threaten bulky Ground type mons that gave the first 4 mons trouble while also being able to clean up late game nicely and Revenge Kill with Ice Shard.

The team was pretty weak to M-Lopunny, M-Manectric and Keldeo so Latias came in as a solid all around check to all of those mons.

SETS AND STRATEGY

Mega Absol

Umbra (Absol-Mega) (M) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified -> Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Starting off with the Star of the team, M-Absol, using the standard SD set. SD to boost its attack allowing it to wallbreak/sweep weakened teams. Sucker Punch to Revenge Kill and as a cleaning tool late game. Knock Off as mandatory and reliable STAB. Play Rough since the team doesn't appreciate M-Sableye or Keldeo at all. The given 40 Defense EVs allow Absol to survive an EQ from Defensive Lando-T so it can set up a SD and become a huge threat.

Lucario

Anubis (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

Next we have Lucario, using the Life Orb as an item because it's the best item for sweeper mons. SD is mainly to wallbreak and punish switches. Close Combat because it's a mandatory STAB attack. Iron Tail since it's the main Fairy killer. Extremespeed to aid Absol with the priority spam and as a great cleaning tool.

Garchomp

Chuck (Garchomp) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Now for Garchomp, the coolest dragon type Pokemon (imo... don't hurt me :c). Anyways, Chomp is obviously using Rocky Helmet + Rough Skin ability to punish physical attackers for 30% of their HP every time they use a contact move on Chomp. Stealth Rocks because its one of the best moves in the game. Fire Blast because its the main Scizor/ Ferrothorn check. Earthquake, well it's the mandatory Ground STAB move for Chomp. Dragon Tail to wear down the opposing team.

Scizor

CrimsonZor (Scizor) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Superpower

Coming up next, Scizor, apparently fast pokemon in anime, slow in games :/. Bullet Punch is the obvious mandatory priority for Scizor. SD to provide with yet another win condition and wallbreaker. Bug Bite for Rotoms and bulky Psychic types in general. Superpower for coverage VS Heatran and Magnezone.

Weavile

Shredder (Weavile) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Now for Weavile, running standard LO set. Ice Shard because too much priority aint enough priority ;].
Knock Off to cripple down switchins like Keldeo and make them easier to handle for the team. Icicle Crash as the mandatory Ice STAB for Ground types. The last move is optional, both great options. Pursuit to trap dangerous Psychic types to the team like Starmie/Lati twins. Low Kick to help VS Ferro/Heatran.

Latias

UFO2 (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Last but not least, we have the Legendary Jet-Plane Pokemon, Latias. It covers quite a lot of this team's biggest weaknesses, such as M-Manectric, Keldeo and Zard-Y. Despite that, it also provides the team longevity and momentum with Healing Wish.​

THREAT LIST

Keldeo, Choice Scarfed set is the most threatening. With Choice Specs the team has no switch-ins but can be revenge killed. So, to “counter” it that you just got to keep Offensive momentum vs Keldeo + Priority Spam.

Mega Manectric to some extent. Mega Sableye as well. Absol can beat it 1v1 though. SD spam pressure M-Sableye but still a threat to watch out for.

Latios/ M-Charizard Y/ Clefable/ Volcanion just because of the fact the team has no really safe switch-ins to them. Charizard and Volcanion can be lured down by rocks damage and be revenge killed after when they are low enough.

REPLAYS

TRY OUT THE TEAM YOURSELF! :D
Absol (M) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

Garchomp (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Gardevoir (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Weavile (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Scizor (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed

Let us know what you guys on smogon think of this team, constructive feedback is always appreciated :]. Thank you~​

Last edited:
Hey, interesting ho team you got there. I like how you got creative by using Mega Absol, so I won't suggest changing it (since you built around it).

As you said, your team gets heavily pressured by powerful water mons such as Keldeo and Volc, as they pretty much get a free kill every time they come in. I would replace gard with latios as latios switches into these mons, along with zard y and mega mane, and can heal off the damage. It can also provide hazard control support through the use of defog.

Now, with scarf gard gone, you need a check to threats to offense such as mega lop. I suggest changing scizor to scarf drill as this provides you some speed control while checking similar mons that scizor also checked. Rapid spin also provides another form of hazard control. With rapid spin, you can also give latios another coverage move over defog, such as hp fire. It also serves as a nice clef switch in (watch out for the occasional flamethrower/fire blast clefs though)

For Mega Absol, I would change its spread a bit. I would go with 252 jolly rather than 216 so that you can outspeed a lot of other threats (such as thundy) and outspeed scarf zone. I wouldn't put 40 evs in def just because of how frail m absol is anyways, so I think focusing on its offensive presence is a better idea. I would definitely run pursuit on weavile due to how much of a thread latios is to your team, as nothing really switches in. For lucario, ice punch is an option over iron tail if you want to check sp def gliscor better, although iron tail also helps take on clef better (your preference). Run 29 hp ivs on both lucario and weavile in order to reduce lo recoil.

I hope I helped with this team. If I think of anything else, I'll post again :]

Hey, interesting ho team you got there. I like how you got creative by using Mega Absol, so I won't suggest changing it (since you built around it).

As you said, your team gets heavily pressured by powerful water mons such as Keldeo and Volc, as they pretty much get a free kill every time they come in. I would replace gard with latios as latios switches into these mons, along with zard y and mega mane, and can heal off the damage. It can also provide hazard control support through the use of defog.

Now, with scarf gard gone, you need a check to threats to offense such as mega lop. I suggest changing scizor to scarf drill as this provides you some speed control while checking similar mons that scizor also checked. Rapid spin also provides another form of hazard control. With rapid spin, you can also give latios another coverage move over defog, such as hp fire. It also serves as a nice clef switch in (watch out for the occasional flamethrower/fire blast clefs though)

For Mega Absol, I would change its spread a bit. I would go with 252 jolly rather than 216 so that you can outspeed a lot of other threats (such as thundy) and outspeed scarf zone. I wouldn't put 40 evs in def just because of how frail m absol is anyways, so I think focusing on its offensive presence is a better idea. I would definitely run pursuit on weavile due to how much of a thread latios is to your team, as nothing really switches in. For lucario, ice punch is an option over iron tail if you want to check sp def gliscor better, although iron tail also helps take on clef better (your preference). Run 29 hp ivs on both lucario and weavile in order to reduce lo recoil.

I hope I helped with this team. If I think of anything else, I'll post again :]
Thank you for you suggestions m8, I will definetely try them out and see how it goes :]

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hello friend, a creative team. Not easy ride one based M-Absol. I see yours gave you a result. With good use Poké is a good offense, but also fragile. Normal, something had to lack something so good.

Well, staring at the threats, I will say only 2 names; Latias or MLatias. Both are effective and meet those threats that give you many problems, including the new Volcanion. Obviously the mega is more effective, but Absol accounts. Latias has good defensive points and you have Healing Wish, important in this kind of offensive teams. It's fundamental. Despite the above, I will put both sets of Latias if you want to try to see how it goes.

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Reflect Type / Thunder Wave

I hope that it will help this advice and you do well. Otherwise, I love your team.

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Hello friend, a creative team. Not easy ride one based M-Absol. I see yours gave you a result. With good use Poké is a good offense, but also fragile. Normal, something had to lack something so good.

Well, staring at the threats, I will say only 2 names; Latias or MLatias. Both are effective and meet those threats that give you many problems, including the new Volcanion. Obviously the mega is more effective, but Absol accounts. Latias has good defensive points and you have Healing Wish, important in this kind of offensive teams. It's fundamental. Despite the above, I will put both sets of Latias if you want to try to see how it goes.

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Reflect Type / Thunder Wave

I hope that it will help this advice and you do well. Otherwise, I love your team.
The Latias suggestion sounds interesting and Healing Wish could prove to be very useful, however M-Latias is out of the question since that would defeat the purpose of the team which is using Absol. Thanks for the rate though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)