Abomasnow (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
  • Abomasnow deserves mention as the only Pokemon to get Snow Warning (other than Aurorus), and thus, can summon hail.
  • Mega Abomasnow has excellent bulk and phenomenal (132/132) offensive stats.
  • Mega Evolving Abomasnow grants a renewed Snow Warning, bringing even more hail.
  • Abomasnow's terrible Speed puts it at risk to fast attackers, and Mega Abomasnow's is even worse.
  • Standard Abomasnow's stats leave much to be desired.
  • Abomasnow has access to a number of powerful offensive moves, such as Blizzard (perfect accuracy under hail) and Avalanche (together with poor speed, this can be extremely destructive).
  • Awful defensive typing gives it SIX WEAKNESSES. SIX. And one is 4X.
  • The nerf to weather is slightly harmful to Snow Warning, though not as much as it is to Drought and Drizzle.
Standard (Non-Mega)
########
name: Standard (Non-Mega)
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Focus Blast/Energy Ball
move 4: Toxic/Hail/Protect
ability: Snow Warning
item: Icy Rock
evs: 252 HP/200 Def/56 SpA
nature: Relaxed/Quiet

Moves
========
  • Blizzard, which will never miss under Hail, deals decent damage with STAB and Abomasnow's respectable 92 SpA.
  • Ice Shard is useful as a priority attack, allowing Abomasnow to revenge kill opponents which can 2HKO it.
  • Focus Blast is helpful as a coverage move, hitting Ice and Steel-types hard, but due to Focus Blast's low accuracy Energy Ball is a more reliable choice.
  • The last moveslot is more variable: Toxic can be used to deal damage to the opponent on top of the hail, Hail can be used if Abomasnow somehow survives through 8 turns, and Protect can be used to land some damage on the opponent from the Hail.
Set Details
========
  • Snow Warning is the only real reason to use non-Mega Abomasnow, and as such it is its only viable ability. Hail is the least common weather condition, but it provides some very interesting boosts.
  • The Icy Rock item extends Snow Warning's duration, so it should be used for this set, whose purpose is to generate hail.
  • The EV spread increases Abomasnow's physically defensive capabilities, so it can take more hits than usual. It also gives a small SpA boost (If there's any spread that will facilitate an OHKO or something, post it in the comments).
  • The Relaxed nature increases Abomasnow's survivability, and the Quiet nature provides a more offensive base.
Usage Tips
========
  • As has been stated, this set's main use is Hail. Blizzard also deals significant damage to opponents, especially with the accuracy boost.
  • Abomasnow can get kills on common leads and hurts stall teams, as well.
Team Options
========
  • Use other Ice-types to complement this set, so they can resist the Hail and hit with Blizzard.
  • Avalugg and Walrein benefit greatly from hail, because Ice Body grants huge recovery each turn in hail.
  • A good Fighting-type complements Abomasnow well, at least for coverage, hitting all types that resist Blizzard for 1X or 2X damage.
  • Water is also an interesting type to pair with Abomasnow, because it resists or hits all types that resist Ice super effectively, with the notable exception of Fighting.
  • Ground also hits Fire, Ice, and Steel for super effective damage.
SPIKY (Mega Abomasnow)
########
name: SPIKY (Mega Abomasnow)
move 2: Avalanche/Wood Hammer/Ice Shard
move 3: Earthquake/Ice Shard
move 4: Ingrain/Energy Ball/Protect
ability: Snow Warning (Snow Warning)
item: Abomasite
evs: 252 HP/152 Atk/100 SpA/4 SpD
nature: Brave/Quiet

Moves
========
  • Blizzard hits titanically hard coming off Mega Abomasnow's incredible SpA, and it, again, has flawless accuracy due to Snow Warning.
  • Avalanche and Wood Hammer both do considerable damage coming from STAB and base 132 Attack, but both require the user to take damage, which is never pleasant. These physical STABs should be used sparingly.
  • Earthquake hits many foes of the Fire-type and Steel-type significantly, both of which are very common in OU and resist both of Mega Abomasnow's STABS.
  • Ice Shard can be used in either slot instead, as this hits fairly hard off the huge Attack stat and gains priority.
  • Ingrain can absolutely be used on Mega Abomasnow, as it gains back the Leftovers recovery that Mega Abomasnow wishes it could have to supplement its above-average bulk. Energy Ball can be used as another special attack, and Protect can again be used for stalling.
Set Details
========
  • Snow Warning is Mega Abomasnow's Ability, and when activated, an extra 5 turns of hail can occur, and foes with weather-summoning Abilities can be countered.
  • The Abomasite is necessary for Mega Evolution, and is luckily obtained easily as part of the main story.
  • This EV spread gives both Attack and Special Attack a hefty boost, and this fits Mega Abomasnow's role: a mixed powerhouse.
  • The Brave or Quiet nature should be used to up Attack or Special Attack at the user's discretion.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mega Abomasnow does not necessarily need to be on a hail team to deal significant damage. Its immense offenses and good bulk allow it to function very well as a tank.
  • Consider Mega Abomasnow for teams that need a powerful mixed attacker and don't mind giving up the Mega slot.
  • Though Mega Abomasnow faces stiff competition from other mixed Mega Evolutions, it is unique in its purpose and in its support capability: Mega Abomasnow can support a team as much as its non-Mega form can.
Team Options
========
  • Since Mega Abomasnow functions very differently from regular Abomasnow, it's only natural that its team should fit that.
  • Cloyster, Swords Dance Garchomp and other setup sweepers are helped tremendously by Mega Abomasnow, who can cripple opponents and allow setup opportunities.
  • Walrein and Avalugg are still great choices, because of the backup from Hail, they can perform their support duties with ease while being covered offensively as well.
  • Fighting-type attacks still provide very helpful coverage. Aegislash's Sacred Sword comes to mind.

Other Options
########
  • Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are both very viable coverage moves on Mega Abomasnow.
  • Giga Drain and Leech Seed are both options to increase longevity.
  • Standard Abomasnow could try to run a purely offensive set if the Mega slot is too valuable, but in general Mega Abomasnow is a far better choice for this role.
  • Abomasnow does get Light Screen, so a support set is also plausible.
  • Due to Mega Abomasnow's base 30 Speed, a Trick Room team could use it as a sweeper.
  • A Substitute or SubPunch set on Mega Abomasnow is very risky, but the damage potential is huge. It may be necessary to Baton Pass the substitute from something like Gliscor.
Checks & Counters
########
  • Other weather moves prove very harmful to Abomasnow, as they cut away Hail, reduce Blizzard's accuracy, and give Abomasnow really no ground to stand on.
  • Any Fire-type attack is bound to deal significant damage to either form of Abomasnow, and having five other weaknesses means that there are many potential OHKOs to be scored.
  • Its low speed facilitates many support and damaging attacks used against it.
  • Ice's four resists mean that Abomasnow needs to rely on non-STAB coverage, either from itself or allies.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of how well it would work but how about a 3 attacks+substitute mixed attacking set that serves as a mixed attacking wall breaker/substitute attacker? It's only of an idea that I recently thought but I still need to try it out but I'd like to see what some better competitive battlers would have to say about the idea.

From my experience:

Abomasnow (F) @ Abomasite
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Focus Punch
- Wood Hammer

Since Mega-Abomasnow is so slow, there is really no point in investing in speed. Using a Quiet nature only drops it 10 speed. If you really want to speed creep opposing base 30's, you move 48 EV's from attack to speed. 4 Spe outspeed other Mega-Abomasnow.

This thing is monstrous when it gets a Substitute up. The high base power of its moves + high attacking states + chip damage from hail means something is going down. Substitute let's you nail faster opponents safely and let's you use Focus Punch. Focus Punch is critical for using against Steel-types that would resist Blizzard. Wood Hammer destroys any water-types that stand in your Blizzard's way.

Unfortunately our mega-friend is so slow and has so many weaknesses that he finds difficulty getting a Substitute up all by himself to destroy. U-turn / Volt Switch support is recommended to get it in on an optimal Substituting target. Another option is to Baton Pass it a Substitute from a Pokemon that Abomasnow resists the weaknesses to. Gliscor is a good choice because it does not get worn down by hail as much as other Pokemon, it resists Abomasnow's Fighting weakness / can confront rock-types, and it can Baton Pass it Substitutes from incoming water-type attacks.

From my experience:

Abomasnow (F) @ Abomasite
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Blizzard
- Focus Punch
- Wood Hammer

Since Mega-Abomasnow is so slow, there is really no point in investing in speed. Using a Quiet nature only drops it 10 speed. If you really want to speed creep opposing base 30's, you move 48 EV's from attack to speed. 4 Spe outspeed other Mega-Abomasnow.

This thing is monstrous when it gets a Substitute up. The high base power of its moves + high attacking states + chip damage from hail means something is going down. Substitute let's you nail faster opponents safely and let's you use Focus Punch. Focus Punch is critical for using against Steel-types that would resist Blizzard. Wood Hammer destroys any water-types that stand in your Blizzard's way.

Unfortunately our mega-friend is so slow and has so many weaknesses that he finds difficulty getting a Substitute up all by himself to destroy. U-turn / Volt Switch support is recommended to get it in on an optimal Substituting target. Another option is to Baton Pass it a Substitute from a Pokemon that Abomasnow resists the weaknesses to. Gliscor is a good choice because it does not get worn down by hail as much as other Pokemon, it resists Abomasnow's Fighting weakness / can confront rock-types, and it can Baton Pass it Substitutes from incoming water-type attacks.
SpD is Special Defense, Spe is Speed. And I will mention the subs set in OO, it just seems too risky for a main set.

A lot of people use SDef for special defense and Spd for speed. Just learn to interpret it both ways.
Just stopping by to say this is true in general, but be sure you use SpD and Spe in writing for Smogon's onsite analyses and articles as those are standard.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to refer you to my preview to help you out:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/qc-0-3-abomasnow.3494319/

Here's how I was going to do Abomasnow before I passed it off:

Standard (Non-Mega)
########
name: Leech Seed
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Substitute / Protect
move 4: Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
item: Leftovers / Abomasite
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm / Sassy

The first thing that made me scratch my head is "Why Bold / Relaxed"? The only Water-type I can think of is Gyarados that really runs physical. While Will-O-Wisp sucks to take with Abomasnow it's not like Heal Bell doesn't exist and even then Rotom-W won't do jack shit otherwise. Unfortunately you will always feign to some of the Steel-types like Aegislash but that's normal. I don't really recommend Wood Hammer aside from Mega Abomasnow really packs a punch with it against threats like Vaporeon.

Icy Rock is really AC material. Hail really isn't that great of weather like sand, rain, or sun is.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 2: Wood Hammer / Giga Drain
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Shard / Rock Slide / Focus Blast / Substitute
item: Abomasite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
nature: Brave
ivs: 0 Spe

There's a lot that can be done with this set. Substitute and Focus Punch were mentioned. I would not frown upon it since a common switch-in would be Heatran and it has the benefit of denting Blissey too. The best thing is that Substitute from both sets will survive Ferrothorn Gyro Ball (assuming Mega Evolution and -Spe nature with 0 IV).

Though, honestly, I would mention using Mega Abomasnow in Trick Room. Also another really minor perk is, during Mega Evolution, Abomasnow retains its Speed for that turn. So you can throw up a Substitute or something faster than in some situations.

Else it really is a mediocre Pokemon. Has some cool niches and the Mega Evolution is a mixed blessing overall.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I won't mince words, this analysis is all over the place. The EVs, the moveset, the usage tips... they're all off. Unfortunately, you've shown us that you don't have enough experience using Abomasnow in standard OU. (At the very least, you could have used the already completed preview as a reference)

My apologies, but I'm going to have to reassign this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)