Other Metagames AAA RMT: I'm Scared of AAA

Gen 9 AAA RMT: I'm Scared of AAA

This is my First RMT ever, and basically first real AAA team as well, hit #65 on ladder with it and wanted some advice from players
guaranteeably better than me

https://pokepast.es/4951e1e381868173

So I built this team after a bunch of experimenting on ladder with dumb stuff. I've played a few OM's before as they've always stuck with me
as being more enjoyable (personally) then typical play, and I find their bans far more interesting to go over for videos. Buuut, AAA has always scared me so I'd never even tried to build a team for it, at all basically, so this is my first hopefully subdecent take at it.

I built this team because I'm trying to get generally into the tier, and for a video I'm making about a Core within every OM, and figured it'd be
odd to just leave out AAA obviously, especially with it being one of the more versatile OM's.

The Pokémon
Heatran

I made sure to check the Other Metagame discord server before building a team, and saw a lot about the issues of Walking Wake,
as such, I made my first Pokemon an answer to Walking Wake, as well as having tried to avoid ever using Walking Wake for a core given talk of it's ban lol.
Heatran can generally trap Flip Turn Water users like Regen (No U-Turn) Manaphy, Scarfed Walking Wake, and Empoleons hoping to get up Rocks.
It's uses are fairly obvious, it's good at trapping Water abusers, can set up rocks, and Will-O-Wisp is great utility on a read (and good chip for them fatter mons) and can guarantee matches that could've otherwise been tough.

Dragonite

I really, really like Dragonite, and Aerilate E-Speed is awesome.
It's a very typical set from what I've seen, Thunderbolt for Corviknights, E-Speed for incredible priority damage, and Earthquake can generally hit a lot of targets well, including Heatran which I found otherwise could be a bit of an issue as Ogerpon (Hearthflame) tends to struggle with getting on the field.
Roost is great for the Life Orb chip, but lacking D-Dance can be bad occasionally against some teams. Personally though, I simply find Roost is just more reliable.

Scream Tail

Scream Tail is really handy in most matches without really needing to hit the field, it puts a lot of pressure on Great Tusk who wants to come in on Heatran typically (Will-O-Wisp also scares Tusk away). Wish passing is also very very handy for longevity against stall teams, especially given the teams lack of Set up abusers, and Calm Mind is good for setting up near end game after Iron Moths, Heatrans, and etc. have been wiped.

Corviknight

Corviknight is part of the Defensive core for the team, alongside Heatran and Scream Tail the three tend to not have many match ups they struggle with. Corviknight is just insanely bulky in general though, Fluffy is great, gives an incredible defense boost that blocks out most set up attackers from doing a whole lot, and it kinda just works.
(Though there are a few problems I've been running into that I go into later)

Roaring Moon

It's speed control, that's about it. It hits really hard alongside Sword of Ruin, Knock off is always just great utility in a Metagame seemingly rather reliant on it's items, U-Turn allows for fast pivoting and is generally annoying, Outrage allows for sacrifice hits and sweeps after ridding a team of it's fairys. Earthquake can kill typical Heatrans that run Water Absorb, but Earth Eater sets are very very tough match ups, and can typically get a burn off.

Ogerpon-Hearthflame

Desolate Land is pretty good alongside the mons this team struggles with, biggest problem match ups can be encouraged further by it though.
Mons like Iron Moth can be hard to switch in reliably on, though Dragonite tends to work, and E-Speed is capable of punishing a lot of teams.
It also works well into Knock off reads, and can counter mons the team generally doesn't wanna handle by just hitting them, real real hard.

Issues! (boooo)
The core Pokemon that immediately give this team issues are:
Dragonite
Iron Moth
Heatran
(Knock off) Walking Wake (With Hazards)

Dragonite's Extreme Speeds are terrifying, Thunderbolt offers great coverage so Corv can't block it (though can tank one and use it for a pivot), EQ always kills Heatran, and D-Dance sets can find a very easy time setting up with the basically required pivot I have to make, otherwise I have to sack Heatran to Burn it, which can be detrimental if there is a Walking Wake in the back.

Iron Moth can be a very annoying Mon for this team, with insane damage, speed ties against Ogerpon, and good coverage, Iron Moth is no one's preferred swap in. Heatran losing Flash Fire makes it a risky swap, and it can occasionally force me to sack it for a pivot. Dragonite though can sometimes pivot in, but Discharge Para's are very very annoying, so it is obviously not a preferable play.

Opposing Heatrans that come in on good swaps can be very scary, the threat of being burned can really hold back a lot of Mons on my team, and Ogerpon, the only one who isn't held back by it, dislikes Heatran taking advantage of the Sun Boost for it's own fire damage. Earth Eater sets also just generally suck, and can really limit my options for it.

Walking Wake with Knock off can of course be annoying, losing HDB on Heatran is really not fun, and though it doing so can force it to sack itself via Magma Storm, that's not always guarenteed, especially if it gets that Knock off on a pivot.

This team is not perfect, but it's fairly fun and I've been enjoying myself with it. I would like to generally get better at the tier though and figured it'd help to start with posting the team here and seeing exactly what I could do better lol, thanks for reading :)​

I love ogerpon, as seen by my forum signature, but the set youve used shows off how it fails pretty well. The current idea for the optimal ogerpon hearthflame is to run 4 attacks, being a grass move, ivy cudgel, play rough, and stomping tantrum.
Another issue i see with this team trying to play longer games is that you have no regenerator pokemon, which is essentially never a good sign on any team that isnt hyper offense.

I really like this team, but there are a few things I'd change:
  • Change either Thunderbolt or Earthquake to Dragon Dance. +1 Dragonite is very efficient and guarantees OHKOs on Pokemon like Roaring Moon and Walking Wake, and can OHKO Scream Tail after Stealth Rock. You can keep T-bolt if you prefer an easier matchup against Corviknight or Earthquake if you want to beat Gholdengo and Heatran.
  • Change Calm Mind to Psychic Noise on Scream Tail. This is super helpful as common switch-ins to Scream Tail like Empoleon lose their ability to Roost and this can help in the late game when Empoleon is low on HP.
  • Change Ogerpon-H to Manaphy. Manaphy looks like it feels very well thanks to its ability to check a lot of the Pokemon you've been having trouble with, as Manaphy can usually switch in safely on Iron Moth and Heatran and U-turn out to Roaring Moon so that it can revenge kill. At max HP (or at least somewhat high) it can switch in on Dragonite and then Ice Beam it to oblivion. Here's the set I suggest: https://pokepast.es/2ed6ad699c0a027d
Hopefully this helps! Glad to see that you're having fun with this metagame

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)