SM OU A strong distaste for Offense (1700 peak)

(Edit: Peaked at 1700, see post 10 for info)

This RMT is going to be a bit odd, because the team is a few months old and despite being the best one I've made so far, I've forgotten some of the reasoning behind the sets. What I do know is that this team was born out of getting mad at being 6-0'd by mega medi HO and generic braindead rain, and that it let me hit 1600 for the first time (and almost every other time too). If you know what you're doing, as well as a rate, I'd also genuinely like your speculation on what on earth I was thinking with some of these choices. While I made this team with the intent to smash offensive teams, I've been able to handle most archetypes relatively well with this team, even stall. So without further ado...

A strong distaste for Offense: An Anti-Offense Team

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

A strong distaste for the fast

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

My first choice for this team was obviously one of the more notorious anti-offense Pokémon, Mega Lopunny. M.Lop has served me well in the past and was my first pick simply to be able to smash a lot of frail powerhouses like Tapu Koko, Ash-Gren and Mega Medi that HO and BO rely on. The EV spread and movepool are bog standard, with Ice Punch over Quick Attack or Healing Wish to bop Landorus and Garchomp instead of having to bring in Tapu Fini since it gets worn down incredibly easily. M.Lop also cleans house pretty well thanks to its speed and Fake Out, although it doesn't always last that long since I often play this particular Lop rather recklessly to take out scarfers early on and to try and read switches to Ferrothorn or Magearna and destroy them with HJK on the switch.

A strong distaste for chip

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind

Between my last RMT and now, I've actually learned how Clefable works. While Rotom-W usually takes pivot duty on my teams, I needed a rocker and wanted something that could take hits a bit more reliably. Clef fills those roles and more, since it switches into Toxics, WoWs or Scalds that nobody else wants to take and clicks whatever move is more appropriate at the time. I've won more than one game by realizing halfway through that the opponent let their counters take too much chip and just clicking CM until it's at +6. Clef, alongside Zapdos, also handles Mega Swampert in the rain, although it has to be wary of flinch.

A strong distaste for Hawlucha

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

This 'mon is literally here to avoid getting 6-0'd by Kartana and Hawlucha. I previously ran HP Ice over Defog, but ended up replacing it since Fini got worn down too easily as the sole defogger, while it also already handled most Lando sets rather well alongside Lop, and unless it's a stone edge or boom set, it has no reason to stay in on Zap. Like the previous two, the set is absolutely standard, with Discharge and Static serving to punish powerhouses trying to bruteforce their way through, as well as over-eager U-turners, Heat Wave to handle Kart and Mega Sciz. Zapdos can also handle Mega Swampert in the rain as long as it doesn't get flinched too many times without getting Static's paralysis.

A strong distaste for webs* (See post #10 for the far more effective replacement)

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Bisharp is an old favourite of mine, and what better 'mon is there to punish webs and defog than one who can start a sweep because of the opponent's setup? The moveset is relatively standard, Knock Off is generally useful and is strong STAB, Iron Head deletes Bulu and Clefable wanting to get a hit off, Sucker Punch for the mindgames Bisharp is known to force that can end in a full sweep (and to avoid getting 6-0'd by Mega Alakazam) and SD to punish poor switching and to be able to break past fatter 'mons like Toxapex (in Misty Terrain lest the dreaded 30% ends everything), Celesteela and Ferrothorn

Sidenote: While I usually run my Bisharps bulkier than most, I genuinely have no idea what I was doing with the EV spread here, all I know is that it lives every hit at 10% for no reason. Looking at the damage calculator, it maximizes physical bulk, turns Tang's EQ from a 2HKO into a 3HKO and survives defensive Lando's EQ most of the time, so it must be good for something.

A strong distaste for rocks

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Defog

I copypasted the smogon set, didn't like how passive it was, so I swapped out Taunt for CM, and Scald and Nature's Madness for actual STABs. Being able to switch on Rotom's WoW and then taking very little from Volt Switch thanks to CM is very nice, as is being able to threaten more offensive Pokémon thanks to actual boosted dual-STAB. This Fini is also great against rain teams, as getting a +1 (or Moonblast) on the lead Pelipper is usually free, and Ferrothorn is the only 'mon that doesn't get 2HKO'd by a +1 Fini in the rain. Like the standard Fini though, this set scares out most rockers so that it can defog, walls Ash-Gren and generally acts like a bulky water would. While Zapdos doesn't appreciate everything getting paralysis immunity, Misty Terrain is a big boon for M.Lop and Bisharp, and allows them to handle fat stuff without having to worry about 30% burns or toxic getting in the way.

Sidenote: These EVs are copypasted from the smogon set and only recently did I figure out that they're optimized for that set in particular (the SpA and Def in particular are to hit certain thresholds for when using Scald), what exactly would be an ideal way to fix this?

A strong distaste for everything else

Landorus-Therian @ Groundium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish

In my last slot I settled on Lando as it filled a lot of glue roles I hadn't accounted for yet (Z-move user, a setup sweeper that's not bloody slow, electric immunity...). I'd never tried dual dance Lando before this team but I gotta say I'm not disappointed. SD for breaking stall, Rock Polish for cleaning up offense, both for when I need to go for a full sweep against a balanced team (once you've made sure the priority users are gone). While EQ and Z-Fly is the most common offensive lando set, getting walled by Celesteela, Rotom and Zapdos is far worse for this team than getting walled by Bulu. Z-Ground over Z-Rock is because sometimes I'm at +0 and just need to land a really strong STAB hit. Adamant is because there's not really anything that needs to be outsped at +2 (that I know of) and because Lopunny exists for speed control. The team comp also allows for some pretty fun scarf bluffs, meaning that you can get free boosts rather easily. Ferrothorn and opposing Lando (w/o HP ice) in particular make for great setup fodder.

Last edited:
Pex folds to Kart, it'd have to replace Fini instead and I already disliked the standard Fini set for being too passive. I've run into very few Edge Luchas (most carry either sub or roost in the last slot), and even then, without rocks on the field it still misses the KO on Zapdos even at +2. +2 Acro or +2 Jab can't take out either of the fairies, and with Lop in the back Lucha isn't sweeping after a Moonblast.

This team still gets 6-0'd by phys protean gren which is becoming more common on offense

Greninja @ Fightinium Z, Life Orb, Expert Belt, etc
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

EDIT: Ash gren still goes ham vs this team once Fini takes any kinda damage

This team still gets 6-0'd by phys protean gren which is becoming more common on offense

Greninja @ Fightinium Z, Life Orb, Expert Belt, etc
Hasty Nature
- Low Kick
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Aye true, disregarding the team composition, Protean Gren is always amazing against balance, hard to build a balanced team that doesn't struggle against anti-balance tomahawks like Mega Medicham, Kyurem-Black and Protean Greninja

Lopunny forces non-scarf Protean out, and scarf is pretty easy to play around.

this however is completely true

how'd u make a anti offense team that loses to rain
I've sort of had success against rain but it relies on Swampert losing the rng war against Zapdos and then having Fini check every other rain sweeper which isn't bad if it's a koko+lucha rain team but is awful when it's manaphy+ash-gren+kingdra.

Just hit 1700 for the first time ever thanks to a modification to the team someone suggested to me elsewhere: replace Bisharp with a spiker.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes

While Gren doesn't break much fat stuff on its own like Bisharp can, the pressure and chip a single spike provides over the course of a match is more than worth it, as well a second reliable speed control 'mon and being able to whack certain things far harder than Bisharp can (The Tapus, Lando before an SD, Mega Zan doesn't need mindgames to hit...). I can't overstate how much easier of a time I've had with this 'mon in almost every game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)