SM UU A shark in a sea of hazards

You can't denie it, SM UU is the best tier that ever existed (give us back rotom wash). Joke appart, if you played the tier on a regular basis you noticed that teams are pretty much always the same (scizor + manectric + latias + gliscor +....). After almost a year playing it, i've been trying to build around the meta and not always spamming the same toptiers. The team i'll present to you here has been built for a french tournament and after testing it on ladder, i noticed it was working pretty well to climb easily at 1500 so here it is, hope that can help you !

Team building process
319.png
First off, i started my build on Sharpedo cause, among Sceptile mega and Altaria, that's the mega i prefer in UU. Nothing much to add, i'm using a pretty regular sharpedo set aka 3 fangs + protect. That's the best set at the moment considering the meta :
Sharpplle (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
Adamant allows you to kill most threats on a 2HKO such as Scizor or Togekiss. Running Jolly is also an option if you're willing to outspeed MAero at +1 which Adamant can't.
Crunch being your main stab allow you to 2HKO defensiv Scizor on the switch and so on, nothing much to add on this.
Icefang is your way to handle Gliscor, Hydreigon and Togekiss, it can ohko the regular speed invested set when mega evolved for Gliscor and 2HKO Hydreigon. Togekiss is a bit more painfull to handle, specially a defensiv set as it struggles to 2HKO if rocks aren't up.
PsychicFang is your way to handle Amoonguss, Tentacruel but among all Azumarill and Primarina. I chosed this above Liquidation because you don't need Liquidation that much, it'd be only usefull to kill Hippo which you don't risk to do with Sharpedo as it can whirlwind you out. Being able to kill Amoon Azu or Primarina in late game is better than being able to kill Hippo, specially if you could setup some hazards you can 2hko Hippo on the switch with Icefang. Having Psychic fang makes you less dependent on Amoonguss to handle Primarina and Azu.
After taking Sharpedo i wanted to pair it with an offensiv mon that could cover it well, specially against Breloom which just had been dropped to UU so this is why i chosed Latias.

380.png
Like i said in the introduction, this team has been built for a tournament. My opponent was spamming Klefki and Azumarill which gave me the idea to use this set :
ThisIsWEATHERREPORT (Latias) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
This used to be a quite seen set back in time but it kinda disapeared with Muk being more and more spammed. Most of you won't like the fact that i run a CM set without any healing move but that's for a reason and it can be changed anyway, i'll explain afterwards. Btw if you get the ref of it's name, you should be crying a bit rn, sorry.
CM Set is the most threatening set atm for me cause it's almost a kill with Z Drake on any pokemon but Scizor / Aggron / Klefki and so on.... Which is where Z thunder come in. Z Thunder at +1 does up to 80% on regular spdef Klefki, OHKO regular 120HP offensiv Scizor. It can also OHKO some AV Primarina and ofc OHKO Azumarill. Most people won't think about it as Latias is almost never played with electric coverage, most coverage it usually get is Ice or Fire. They'll almost always SI their usually Latias check which Z Thunder can handle.
Icebeam well, boltbeam is neat ! For real, a lot of people will SI their gliscor into it if they think you're scarfed specially if they run a spdef Gliscor. That's also your way to handle other Lati and Hydreigon, specially Hydreigon which can be a problem for this team if you're getting too weakened. If you're not a fan of no recover Lati you can switch Icebeam for Recover.
Psyshock well, Blissey is a pain you know. At +1 you can 2HKO regular defensiv Blissey. That's also how you handle Azumarill / Primarina / Tentacruel if your Z move is off or you're willing to keep it. Using this can also confirm to your opponant that you're a regular Z drake set and bait the switch into their usual check. Imo that's a must, that helps you a lot against stalls.

After having those two mons, i wanted to build a cool defensiv core to cover them. I was divided between either building an offensiv team with Sharpedo as a cleaner but not centered around it or a more defensiv one that can handle more threats. I decided to go for a more defensiv team to stack hazards. After deciding this, i've been traumatized by Manectric during this tournament so i wanted the perfect answer for it, being Hippowdon.

450.png
Hippo is one of the strongest wall in UU. It's almost impossible to OHKO it unless super effectiv stabbed move. It's one of the best rock setters but also a great mon to check most threats such as Manectric / Scizor. Tbh i cba listing here all the pokemon it can check cause there are plenty. I mean, its Hippo. I chosed to run the regular mixed wall set as it's the best of all for the meta :
Michel4EverTonight (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake

Spdef spread allows you to survive like a god to Manec hp ice (around 37%). You can take on easily most scarfers in UU such as Latias Hydrei Infernape.... That's a pretty regular set, nothing much to explain.
Whirlwind on toxic allows you to handle things like Komoo Sub / Scizor SD / Gliscor SD or any pokemon that tries to setup on you. This also got an awesome synergy with the hazard stacking you can setup with the team and you can rackup some rocks damage with spikes.

With this i needed a spikes setter. The best spikes setter in UU sure is Klefki and it turns out that it pairs well with Hippo.

707.png
I've choosed to run a different set than the regular spikes setter :
OuiC'estMoi (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Foul Play

Classic ev spread, best one as this is my Latias / Hydreigon check but also kind of my only Kyurem check.
2 Status, this is to fully support Sharpedo and the team. Thunderwave is usefull to down things that can still outspeed Sharpedo at +1 such as Aero / Latias / Infernape scarf and so on... This can also be usefull if you're willing to paralize defensiv mon that you can't toxic such as Tentacruel or Amoonguss. Toxic is pretty handy for CM latias, most defensiv walls but also things that might SI like Volcanion that can be a bit threatening for the team if Latias isnt healthy.
Foul play is another way to handle SD Scizor that might also be threatening if it can setup. It puts it in range for Sharpedo to RK it afterwards while you can easily tank a bullet punch at +2. That's the main reason why Foul play, i chosed it among HpFire cause i also wanted to be able to touch Latias if Toxic damage wouldnt be enough to down it.

Then i noticed that my team had legit a no MU against Azumarill banded hence why i chosed to add Amoonguss

591.png
BouliN'Roses (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pretty simple pretty regular, this is a spread "I hate you Azu go back to OU". Mostly here to check Azu banded it turned out it was pretty usefull to handle Scizors too as this spread can take easily a u-turn from a +2 Scizor (not even 70%). This is also your Crawdunt check for TR and overall regulars Crawdunt but also a strongest Breloom check when Latias can't do the job nor Gliscor. 8 Speed allows you to outspeed Slowbro Mega while you're still slower than Crawdunt for Trickroom. If you're scared of BroMega you can run ClearSmog on Sludge bomb but so far i never had any issue with it.

Now onto the last pokemon. First i had a pretty unset mon but that is pretty cool which is Ada Infernape band. This was my other way of handling stall as it can 2HKO Alomomomomomola. Turned out Gliscor was too much of a pain for my team, specially to switch into it since Hippo can't really do anything to it and Latias won't like a U-Turn. This is why i chosed to run my own Gliscor as a Gliscor check (Landorus style kek).

472.png
NoHpIcePlease (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 48 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Well Gliscor is Gliscor, still solid whatever the role it gots. That is a regular setup Gliscor set, 244HP to optimize the poisonheal recovery. 216 Speed allows you to outspeed Lucario which can be threatening specially a Nastyplot set. With 48 Atk you got a pretty good chance to OHKO Nidoking while you, ofc, outspeed it but you also 2HKO regular speed Gliscor at +2 with Facade but also Scizor and such. That's another way of handling Scizor (not the best i must admit but it can put Scizor in range for Sharpedo to RK it) but also a way to handle some stall teams (you can pp stall Quagsire for exemple).

Threats
Kyurem : Not gonna lie, Kyurem sub is pretty much a kill each time it goes out, same for specs. This team is pretty weak to ice moves if stabbed (which isnt quite seen in UU since Mamo is gone). The only turn around i've found so far is to remove Thunderwave and FoulPlay on Klefki for Magnetrise and Playrough. This works well but you might struggle a bit more against other MU, specially against Scizors since they can setup on you. Toxic is pretty usefull if Kyurem tries to setup a sub on you.

Veil : Same as for Kyurem, Alolan Sandslash can be painfull to handle but moreover Linoone considering Klefki can't Magnetrise on the StompingTantrum. Having no defoggers makes it easily for your opponent to setup. You got answers to Veil pokemon but those can be weakened pretty easily. You shouldn't be worried much about it, thus far i've seen one veil while playing more than a hundred game with this team (I hate you Sloudy <.<)

Hydreigon : Considering Klefki can't do anything to Hydrei, if this one is anything but Choice locked it can be pretty threatening specially with Roost. Amoonguss should be able to take hits unless any fire move, Hippo too but they can be weakened pretty fast.

Webs : Having no spinners with a Sharpedo makes you kind of weak to webs. You got a pretty defensiv team so you should be able to handle it but Sharpedo won't shine that much considering it'd need one more turn to setup its speed.

Importable
ThisIsWEATHERREPORT (Latias) @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Sharpplle (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

BouliN'Roses (Amoonguss) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 44 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Michel4EverTonight (Hippowdon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Earthquake

OuiC'estMoi (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Foul Play

NoHpIcePlease (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-723154250 Tournament Match (with infernape band)
2nd and 4th match against Aim, shows some different MU

Special thank to Moute for helping me out with few sets !

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, cool team! I have always liked the combination of Mega Sharpedo + hazard stacking.
The team covers the majority of the metagame pretty well, but one thing that I noticed about it is that you have hazard stacking, but you don't really have good ways of punishing hazard removers. It also seems a bit tough for the team to break through the kinds of Gliscor.
  • Krookodile > Hippowdon was the first change I made. Unlike Hippowdon, it immediately threatens Rapid Spin users, such as Tentacruel, with a fast Earthquake, and can potentially shut down Defog users with Taunt. Furthermore, with Taunt, it can shut down certain walls for Mega Sharpedo and Gliscor.
  • The next change I did is Starmie > Amoonguss. Amoonguss simply did not seem too good to my eyes on such an offensive hazard stacking team, because it can literally give most hazard controls a somewhat free turn. Starmie not only allows you to put more pressure on hazard controls but also help Latias with breaking through cores, as its Analytic- and Life Orb-boosted attacks hit surprisingly hard. Rapid Spin also gives you an easier time against opposing hazard stacking teams, as Sticky Web-based teams, despite not being as common.
  • Your team still looks like it struggles with breaking Gliscor since Starmie can be Pursuit trapped and worn down by recoil. I changed Latias to a Dragonium Z set because it seemed more fitting at this point because the team already has good ways of dealing with bulky Water-types.
  • More of a nitpick, but I changed Klefki's set to Magnet Rise > Toxic, and Play Rough > Foul Play. The reason behind it is that the team looked very threatening to an opposing Mega Sharpedo and Hydreigon, and Play Rough is just generally more consistent at checking what it is supposed to check. Magnet Rise gives you a better matchup against Ground-types and Kyurem.
I hope this rate helped, feel free to ask any question!

Latias @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Ice Fang
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Play Rough

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Thanks for the improvments ! Isn't your version a bit too weak to Azu band ? I mean it'll basicly be a kill each time it goes out unless you can prédict him well.
About Gliscor i've never had any big issues with it since i've removed infernape, latias can handle it, Sharpedo too and Gliscor too But again thanks, i'll try this out whenever i can <3

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the improvments ! Isn't your version a bit too weak to Azu band ? I mean it'll basicly be a kill each time it goes out unless you can prédict him well.
About Gliscor i've never had any big issues with it since i've removed infernape, latias can handle it, Sharpedo too and Gliscor too But again thanks, i'll try this out whenever i can <3
Technically, but the point of the team it to clean with Sharpedo, with the help of hazards and wallbreakers. Offense is naturally weak to Azumarill, but you have ways of punishing it being locked to a move; if it is locked to a Water-move, Latias sets up on it, and if it is locked to a Fairy-move, Klefki sets up Spikes on it. Furthermore, you only need some prior damage for Sharpedo to KO it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)