ORAS OU A.D. 79 - Volcanion + M-Scizor ORAS OU Team RMT "Godsquad?" (See post #23)

(the squadron)

A.D. 79 - Volcanion + M-Scizor Bulky Offense

I just got back into competitive Pokemon, after a few years hiatus. I played competitively when I was younger, but never got into the community on Smogon (This is my first RMT) or got very high on the ladder. And now during the summer since I have nothing else to do, I decided to return to battling. And the first thing to do was make a team.

I took inspiration from pokeaim Joey and blunder, after watching binge watching many of their videos. And so I want to become better as a battler (I've peaked only around the 1500s on the ladder so I'm not that good).

I really like bulky offense because they can not only take hits well but also hit very hard. I combined this offense type with voltturn so I could bring in my heavy hitters or pivot around a Pokemon. I'm quite comfortable with voltturn bulky offense. (Therefore, I'm not used to the likes of Bisharp HO and Chansey Stall)

I have tested this team in the 1500s and did decently, but I did see some problems that I saw. But no matter how many problems I solved with the team, more kept popping up. Without further ado, here is the team...

The Squadron

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

When I decided to return to competitive battling, I met on the ladder a great deal of stall. And after losing to Sableye, Chansey, Skarmory, etc. a great too many times, I finally realized how easily Specs Volcanion destroyed stall. (Of course, I know Chansey walls Volcanion but if Chansey is fainted, Volcanion will wreak havoc)

The given EV's allow Volcanion to outspeed Defensive Lando-T and still maintain its immense firepower and its bulk. (However, I do see people running more speed on their Lando's now, so I might need to make Volcanion max speed.) Steam Eruption and Flamethrower are great STAB moves. Steam Eruption, although marketed as a stronger Scald, never burns. Also, I don't need Fire Blast because Flamethrower with Specs is enough to KO any steel type. Sludge Wave hits Fairies. And HP Grass hits the likes of Seismitoad. I realized I didn't need Earth Power because I have Lando-T.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Mega Scizor forms a beautiful core with Volcanion. Volcanion helps in getting rid of many of Scizor's counters: Heatran, Ferrothorn, Lando-T are all blown away with Steam Eruption and Flamethrower. Scizor helps mitigate the Ground and Rock weakness, softchecking offensive Ground types. Scizor can set up late game and sweep. Also, Scizor provides a slow U-turn on the likes of Weavile and Lati@s so that Volcanion can come in unscathed.
The set is the standard Bulk Sweeper set on Smogon.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Landorus Therian is the epitome of Overused, but it's so good at its job. Lando-T has perfect synergy with Volcanion: able to switch into the Electric and Ground attacks directed at Volcanion. Also, Volcanion can take the Ice or Water type attacks directed at Lando. I run defensive Lando because I needed a birdcheck and also I need a fighting type check.
This Defensive Lando-T has no speed investment so it can again provide a slow U-turn to bring in Volcanion. Also, I like to run Rocky Helmet so Lopunny doesn't get any free Fake Out's of and other physical attackers take residual from it.

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

I really like the voltturn core of Landorus and Raikou, so I decided to slap on Raikou. Raikou gives this team some speed and electric STAB. After Volcanion destroys whatever ground type the other team has (i.e. Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Quagsire), Raikou to Volt around freely, gaining momentum for me and forcing sacks. I wanted to run SubCM Raikou but I realized that I didn't have a designated Specially Defensive wall, so I slapped on an Assault Vest and made Raikou a temporary check to Latios.
I'm really not that sure about Raikou's place on the team so I've experimented with various other Pokemon on its position. I tried AV Torn-T, but it made me too weak to Rotom and I missed having electric STAB. I tried Serperior, but I not only missed having electric STAB, I also missed the voltturning. I also tried Rotom-W but it was too slow. Also, I would have to run SpDef Rotom, which really doesn't wall anything.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

What is an offense team without Latios? I put Latios on this team to patch up the Keldeo weakness. Also, having a Pokemon that can nuke the other team is very helpful when running voltturn. Also, Latios provides Defog support for Volcanion who is weak to rocks.
I wanted to run Latias with Healing Wish support but Latias is not as powerful as Latios and I miss Latios's power. I opted out of running HP Fire because I already had Volcanion to deal with Ferrothorns and Scizors. Roost is for longevity.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

And finally, the last member of the team, Tyranitar helps trap Lati@s and other bulky Pokemon that check Volcanion. Tyranitar can also be used as a late game cleaner if needed. (But only for very weakened slower Pokemon)
Scarf allows it to outspeed base 110s, hitting 364.

Threats

Mega Scizor with an SD up will straight up sweep my team. However, none of the members of my team lets it set up. However, whenever this monster comes in, Lando-T is weakened.

These two monsters can easily run through my team. Lopunny outspeeds everything on my team and can murder each member. But with enough playing around, I can defeat Lopunny. But Medicham is a monster able to 2HKO all of my Pokemon. However, Medicham is slower so Latios, Raikou and Scarf Ttar can defeat it.

...any more?

Conclusion

In conclusion, my bulky offense team is meant to use voltturn to bring in my heavy hitters and sweep with Scarf Tar or SD bulky Scizor late game. I have spent countless hours laddering up and fixing the team, but I realized that I couldn't find the answer to my problems, so I started this thread. I really wish someone can help me fix this team! My team has many flaws but I hope they will be patched. I want to become a better battler and to do that I need a good original team.

My biggest problems with this team is the lack of speed. If anyone can help me with these problems, that would be great! Also, please critique the technical parts of this thread like how can I improve the quality of this RMT. Not only do I want to become a good battler, I also want to join into this community on Smogon.

Appendix
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

soon to come

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/EFwd2Hvu

Last edited:
Hello Chasedown,

Nice team you have there. I am not much a team builder but I do have one suggestion. Rotom-W > Raikou. Rotom-W because it does the same rotom as raikou but also serves as a bird check since one of the issues you mentioned for your team. Also with the combination of Lando's Intimate and Rotom's bulk and typing bird spam and lopunny-M ( another threat) are easily handed. I hope this help
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave

The only problem I have with Rotom-W over Raikou is the loss of speed. Rotom-W makes me more susceptible to base 110's destroying me. However, I will try your set and see if it works better.

:]

Terry24, Thanks for the the feedback man!

Breezy

formerly Quaze
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yo, I like a lot your team. I would recommend you to use scarf latios for more speed and to revenge kill mzard x and also kill MPunny.
Here's the set:
Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

HQuaze said:
I would recommend you to use scarf latios for more speed and to revenge kill mzard x and also kill MPunny.
I like your idea for more speed by using Scarf Latios, but then the idea of a double scarf team frightens me. What should I do with Tyranitar? or is double scarf fine?
Thanks for the idea HQuaze!

Breezy

formerly Quaze
Double scarf is fine, I guess. People don't expect it and it can be really good versus stalls when you trick chanseys, so that your specs volcanion just destroys stall teams.

Other think that I noticed is the weakness to opponents double dance lando, so you can try hp ice on your to lure them.

Hey chasedown , just looking briefly over your team, I have one qualm with it that bothers me the most. Volcanion is too slow in my opinion to be bothered to run any Speed investment. If your goal is too outspeed Defensive Landorus, don't bother. A defensive Landorus does not OHKO with Earthquake, and actually only Adamant 252 Atk Landorus has a decent chance to OHKO the set I've provided (of Soft Sand/Earth Plate sets, but those are very rare nowadays). All variants (except Passho Berry variants lol) are OHKOd by Steam Eruption. I'll have to edit this review later, but this is just for starters.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Hquaze , thanks for your set idea man! I will try Scarf Latios on my team.

Millionsunz , What does the 4 Def and 4 Speed do for Volcanion? Also, at first I ran 136 speed to outspeed defensive Rotom-W, but soon realized many people would just stay in with their Landos to EQ. So I increased Volcanion's speed so that when they stayed in with their Lando, they would get OHKO's by Steam Eruption

Hquaze , thanks for your set idea man! I will try Scarf Latios on my team.

Millionsunz , What does the 4 Def and 4 Speed do for Volcanion? Also, at first I ran 136 speed to outspeed defensive Rotom-W, but soon realized many people would just stay in with their Landos to EQ. So I increased Volcanion's speed so that when they stayed in with their Lando, they would get OHKO's by Steam Eruption
chasedown , due to the nature of running 248 EVs and 252 other EVs, you are left over with 8. Since most people don't run any speed on their Volcanion, you'll be guaranteed to outspeed them by 1 point. The extra Defense point is just there to increase Defense by 1 point, but you could put it anywhere honestly, even running 8 Speed EVs if you felt like it. I've included some calculations just to show why I changed the EVs like I did.

0 SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 222-264 (60.9 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 204-242 (67.3 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 398-470 (109.3 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Only Soft Sand/Earth Plate/Life Orb variants guarantee OHKO you)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 714-840 (223.8 - 263.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 254-302 (69.7 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Fully defensive Landorus)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 211-250 (57.9 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 528-624 (194.8 - 230.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 277-327 (106.1 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 306-361 (112.9 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, the Volcanion I suggested can live pretty much any hit from Pokemon that threaten your team (the Pokemon you listed, Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Lopunny) and OHKO back. The only thing you should worry about is Steath Rocks. With SR up against you, Volcanion struggles to take hits that it normally could. Rotom-Wash does outspeed you though, and is not OHKOd by HP Grass, so just be wary of that. If you insist on running Speed, you should decide between 220 Speed to outpace 88 Speed Rotom or 176 Speed to outpace 44 Speed Rotom, the most common Speed creeps :)

Seems like you have a pretty big weakness to stall, especially with no fairies and no stallbreakers. Therefore I recommend using Choice Band tyranitar over a scarfed varient. Although this does weaken your Gengar matchup, it eases predictions with pursuit, being able to beat both latis without the risk of them switching out, while also having 0 switch ins on stall.

Run 212 speed or max speed on Volcanion to beat crawdaunt because otherwise you don't have a way to check it after an sd unless latios is healthy, which is difficult since its your rotom check as well.

Breezy

formerly Quaze
Seems like you have a pretty big weakness to stall, especially with no fairies and no stallbreakers. Therefore I recommend using Choice Band tyranitar over a scarfed varient. Although this does weaken your Gengar matchup, it eases predictions with pursuit, being able to beat both latis without the risk of them switching out, while also having 0 switch ins on stall.

Run 212 speed or max speed on Volcanion to beat crawdaunt because otherwise you don't have a way to check it after an sd unless latios is healthy, which is difficult since its your rotom check as well.
Cband ttar will make the team weak to band talon and bisharp and the combination of scarf latios and specs volcanion might be good enough versus stall.

Breezy

formerly Quaze
chasedown , due to the nature of running 248 EVs and 252 other EVs, you are left over with 8. Since most people don't run any speed on their Volcanion, you'll be guaranteed to outspeed them by 1 point. The extra Defense point is just there to increase Defense by 1 point, but you could put it anywhere honestly, even running 8 Speed EVs if you felt like it. I've included some calculations just to show why I changed the EVs like I did.

0 SpA Rotom-W Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcanion: 222-264 (60.9 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 204-242 (67.3 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Soft Sand Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 398-470 (109.3 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Only Soft Sand/Earth Plate/Life Orb variants guarantee OHKO you)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 714-840 (223.8 - 263.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 254-302 (69.7 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Fully defensive Landorus)
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 211-250 (57.9 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 528-624 (194.8 - 230.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 277-327 (106.1 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcanion: 187-222 (51.3 - 60.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Lopunny: 306-361 (112.9 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As you can see, the Volcanion I suggested can live pretty much any hit from Pokemon that threaten your team (the Pokemon you listed, Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Lopunny) and OHKO back. The only thing you should worry about is Steath Rocks. With SR up against you, Volcanion struggles to take hits that it normally could. Rotom-Wash does outspeed you though, and is not OHKOd by HP Grass, so just be wary of that. If you insist on running Speed, you should decide between 220 Speed to outpace 88 Speed Rotom or 176 Speed to outpace 44 Speed Rotom, the most common Speed creeps :)
Nobody runs tbolt rotomw 'cuz volt switch is way better for the momentum, so pls don't even calc it,,.
Volc even with max hp isn't a hard check to Mpunny, Mcham and Mpinsir since the first two have mostly fake out + stab (wich is enough to kill you) and mpinsir can first of all dance up or if rocks are up and mpinsir has adamant nature (quite common) kill volc in one hit.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi, i like your team and your idea to exploit the mega Scizor's pivoting to bring Volcanion in the field, despite everything I found other threats that may bother you in addition to those listed by you, first I noticed how Serperior manages to be very dangerous for the team, since outspeed everything except Tyranitar, and does a lot of damage to the whole team, another threat is definitely Offensive mega Scizor, which can weaken Volcanion really easy with the helps of his teammates,then proceed with a sweep, finally Life orb Tornadus-t its very hard to deal with, its amazing speed allows him to outspeed and hit hard every team's member with his coverage. My rate will try to cover your team's weakness trying to maintain the synergy between members.

>

At first, since your weakness to Birds as mega Pinsir and Serperior i'd suggest you to use Zapdos over Raikou, Zapdos is definitely a very good bird switch than Raikou and can put pressure anyway to the mega Scizor's counters as Skarmory and in addition Ferrothorn, it is a very good switch in for the threatening mega Scizor and Tornadus-therian, and I would like to point out that the combination of Lando's intimidate + Zapdos can handle threats like mega Lopunny and mega Cham much better than before, finally Zapdos can be a good countermeasure for beat Bisharp if Tyranitar and mega Scizor are weakened, the ev spread allows Zapdos to outspeed Adamant Bisharp/ Loom and Modest Volcanion, the rest is to increase the bulk to take better Serperior and mega Pinsir.

With the addition of Zapdos we strengthened match up against some threats, but we now have acquired a new threat, Manaphy, to deal better with it and since we have a free slot on Latios in Defog because we have this on Zapdos i'd suggest you to use Thunderbolt over Defog, Thunderbolt hits Manaphy and others bulky waters better without being forced to use Draco meteor and thus avoid not be setup bait for threats such as mega Pinsir, another option is to use Calm mind over Defog, Calm mind allows Latios to put more pressure on balance teams and stall builds beating Chansey too, Also this set allows you to have more control of mega Manectric and Thundurus, which have become more dangerous lightly with the replacement of Raikou.

Smart changes:

• Since Landorus and Zapdos can be placed easily under pressure due to stealth rock and indirect damage and then be incapacitated in some situations to control mega Lopunny I'd suggest to use 60 Def removing evs from Atk since because you don't need these evs to kill Tornadus-t a +2 if you have Zapdos, these evs allows you to take 3HKO by Mega Lopunny's HJK , this change can help a little to mega Medichams taking less damage.
  • After optimizing the ev spread of Scizor, I would suggest to optimize Landorus's ev spread too, I think this spread optimizes him in his role: 248 Hp / 128 Def / 28 Spd / 104 Spe, this spread allows Landorus to outspeed Adamant/Modest base 70 users like Volcanion, Bisharp and Breloom, the 28 Spd allows Landorus to take an Hidden power Ice from Raikou and Mega Manectric and to survive at full a Latios's Draco meteor, the rest in Hp and defense to increase the bulk needed to check Drillers, Furthermore, given the weakness in mega Medicham, I'd suggest to use Yache berry over RH, the berry allows Lando to take less damage from Ice punch and weaken mega Medicham using Earthquake, also since you have Tyranitar, Zapdos and Thunderbolt Latios i think Stone edge its a little useless now, so i'd suggest you to use Knock off over S.edge, knock off helps you to beat better things like Clefable and Rotom-w which is annoying for the team.
  • As you said, many Landorus run some speed to outrun Volcanion, then I'd suggest you to use max speed Volcanion with a Timid nature, max speed allows Volcanion to outspeed some variants of defensive Landorus-t which run enough speed for Rotom-w, this change also allows Volcanion to outspeed others Zapdos, which are more common nowadays, finally the nature change does not take away any important kill for the team.
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 240 Def / 44 SpD / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Thunderbolt / Calm mind

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 28 SpD / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Wave

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The team is already a bit weak to Mega Medicham, but you can play around it with Latios, Landorus-t and Scizor playing well with intimidate trying to weaken him, finally the team its a bit weak to Life orb Starmie, but you can revenge kill it with some pokemons as Tyranitar, Scizor, that's all man, hope i've helped :toast:

Last edited:
matthewc20090 said:
Seems like you have a pretty big weakness to stall, especially with no fairies and no stallbreakers.
I'm not really that weak to stall. Volcanion destroys everything and if I could Pursuit trap the Chansey with Ttar, I would win.

Eutychios , thank you for your feedback. I will take into consideration your listed threats while playing with my team.

(I'm sorry I just found the image database and wanted to put a photo)
Concerning Zapdos: I really like your suggestion of Zapdos with Defog and Latios with CM, but my one concern is Zapdos's weakness to Stealth Rock. I'm always scared when my Defogger is weak to rocks because every time it comes in it needs to take damage before getting rid of the rocks.

Concerning Latios: I really like your idea of CM Latios to hit harder on walls. But others in this thread have suggested me to use Scarf Latios because my team is a little lacking in speed. So I'm not sure which one is more advantageous.

Concerning Landorus-T: I really like your set suggestion of Knock Off over SE and your EV spread. My only complaint is using Yache Berry. I really like using RH because it wears down opposing physical attackers so they don't get free U-turns off. And Yache is quite conditional... So I'm not sure.

Concerning Volcanion: I would love to run Timid nature but the power difference is substantial. Also, others have told me that Landorus can OHKO Volcanion anyway so Volcanion can take the hit and dish out an even stronger hit.

Other Concerns regarding Smogon Forums:
  • How do I quote people in the same thread? I have quotes but my quotes don't have that little arrow upwards after the colon. Is there a shortcut to quoting that I'm not aware of? (I use the BB Code Editor to code my quotes)
  • Also how do I mention a person? I've noticed that when you guys write "chasedown" it is blue and clickable. But when I write your names they aren't.
I'm a noob at using Smogon Forums (this is my first thread) so I'm still learning and need help.

Last edited:
I'm not really that weak to stall. Volcanion destroys everything and if I could Pursuit trap the Chansey with Ttar, I would win.

Eutychios , thank you for your feedback. I will take into consideration your listed threats while playing with my team.

(I'm sorry I just found the image database and wanted to put a photo)
Concerning Zapdos: I really like your suggestion of Zapdos with Defog and Latios with CM, but my one concern is Zapdos's weakness to Stealth Rock. I'm always scared when my Defogger is weak to rocks because every time it comes in it needs to take damage before getting rid of the rocks.

Concerning Latios: I really like your idea of CM Latios to hit harder on walls. But others in this thread have suggested me to use Scarf Latios because my team is a little lacking in speed. So I'm not sure which one is more advantageous.

Concerning Landorus-T: I really like your set suggestion of Knock Off over SE and your EV spread. My only complaint is using Yache Berry. I really like using RH because it wears down opposing physical attackers so they don't get free U-turns off. And Yache is quite conditional... So I'm not sure.

Concerning Volcanion: I would love to run Timid nature but the power difference is substantial. Also, others have told me that Landorus can OHKO Volcanion anyway so Volcanion can take the hit and dish out an even stronger hit.

Other Concerns regarding Smogon Forums:
  • How do I quote people in the same thread? I have quotes but my quotes don't have that little arrow upwards after the colon. Is there a shortcut to quoting that I'm not aware of? (I use the BB Code Editor to code my quotes?
  • Also how do I mention a person? I've noticed that when you guys write "chasedown" it is blue and clickable. But when I write your names they aren't.
I'm a noob at using Smogon Forums (this is my first thread) so I'm still learning and need help.
Hi nice team you have here! I completely agree with Eutychios but you've mentioned good points. That's why I suggest you running Static Zapdos over Defog Zapdos. This way you remedy the lacking of speed control and you have an awesome check to birds. With the removal of Raikou you lost you're voltturn core so Zapdos can provide that.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Toxic / Hidden Power Ice

PS: Obviously with this change you'd need to run Defog over Thunderbolt on Latios.
PS1: To mention a person you have to put an email key before his/her name. (e.g. " @ Mister57)-- without the empty space between them.

Last edited:
Nobody runs tbolt rotomw 'cuz volt switch is way better for the momentum, so pls don't even calc it,,.
Volc even with max hp isn't a hard check to Mpunny, Mcham and Mpinsir since the first two have mostly fake out + stab (wich is enough to kill you) and mpinsir can first of all dance up or if rocks are up and mpinsir has adamant nature (quite common) kill volc in one hit.
Volcanion is not meant to be a hard check to the threats. What it can do in a pinch, is live any one hit and deal loads of damage to the opposing Pokemon. Mega Pinsir also needs to be +2 to OHKO Volcanion with any hit.

chasedown , the way to tag a person is to just put an "@" in front of their name, and to quote a person's post, you can go down to the bottom right of each post and click "reply". The quoted post will then appear in the post editing thing at the bottom of the thread.

Looking over your team again, I do have some other suggestions than changing your Volcanion EV spread.

I agree with Eutychios , Serperior is a major threat to your team, being able to deal SuperEffective damage to 4 of the current members (Volcanion, Latios, Tyranitar, and Scizor). In order to check this threat, I would replace Raikou for Thundurus on your team. While it is uncommon to run Volt Switch on Thundurus, it completes your VoltTurn core and introduces Speed control for your team, leaving Volcanion and Mega Scizor and easier time dealing with threats. If you needed a Pokemon able to deal with Stall, you can also run Nasty Plot Thundurus. Keep in mind that Thundurus is not a counter or hard check to Serperior, but it can Thunder Wave it, leaving a different Pokemon to KO it if necessary. Thundurus also improves your matchup against Mega Pinsir, Mega Medicham, and Mega Lopunny, being able to paralyze all of them.

If you do decide to run Thundurus on your team, definitely keep Defog on Latios. Defog Latios is one of the best defoggers in the game, being able to switch in to any hazard and only taking 12% before Defogging them away. Latios also gives you a way to check Mega Venusaur. CM and Scarf Latios can be cool, but Latios rarely has time to set up a CM, and Trick/Scarf on Latios is sort of gimmicky. There is nothing super wrong with them, but regular LO Latios is sooooo much better.

These are the only other suggestions I have, your team is very well built, so maybe you can take something out of here that you like and want to apply to your team. Take everything I say with a grain of salt though, I'm not always right and some suggestions I make may not be the ones you'd like for your team. Check out the sets below :)

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Also make sure you keep my Volcanion changes in mind :)

Last edited:
chasedown , the way to tag a person is to just put an "@" in front of their name, and to quote a person's post, you can go down to the bottom right of each post and click "reply". The quoted post will then appear in the post editing thing at the bottom of the thread.
Thanks man never would have thought of that! Millionsunz Eutychios Mister57 HQuaze Terry24 COOL!!

(Thundurus vs Zapdos)? over Raikou

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pros: puts pressure on Latios to Defog, adds more offensive pressure, more reliable Twave speed control
Cons: Makes my team weaker to threats, BUT Thundy checks the threats

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Pros: Relieves pressure off of Latios for Defog, adds another defensive Pokemon in conjunction to Landorus-T
Cons: slower, has a slightly unreliable form of speed control

The Million Dollar Question:
Which should I use?

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
Thundy isn't good for a volt turn core because with life orb + rocks he just kills himself and ice + electr coverage gets completly countered by ferrothorn, heatran, itemless chansey, ttar, av bisharp etc. so that he has to switch out every time.

Defogger Zapdos has to take 25% damage every time he comes in, breaks the volt turn core losing momentum wich was a think I liked a lot of this team and makes the team really slow doing it hard to play against really fast teams.

IMHO Raikou is still your best choice.

Thundy isn't good for a volt turn core because with life orb + rocks he just kills himself and ice + electr coverage gets completly countered by ferrothorn, heatran, itemless chansey, ttar, av bisharp etc. so that he has to switch out every time.

Defogger Zapdos has to take 25% damage every time he comes in, breaks the volt turn core losing momentum wich was a think I liked a lot of this team and makes the team really slow doing it hard to play against really fast teams.

IMHO Raikou is still your best choice.
I will further test this team on the ladder with all four electric typesand decide which to use. My head hurts from all this theorymonning.

Also, what does following someone do? I know what it does on other websites, but I'm not sure if Smogon is the same.

Thanks man never would have thought of that! Millionsunz Eutychios Mister57 HQuaze Terry24 COOL!!

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Pros: puts pressure on Latios to Defog, adds more offensive pressure, more reliable Twave speed control

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog Toxic / Volt Switch / Hidden Power Ice

Pros: Relieves pressure off of Latios for Defog, adds another defensive Pokemon in conjunction to Landorus-T

Which should I use?
I think Zapdos is better since your team is really Bisharp Weak. :)

PS: You can't use Defog on Static Zapdos, keep attention! You can opt for Toxic, Volt Switch or Hidden Power Ice in the fourth slot.

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Which should I use?
It all depends on what you think you need on your team. Thundurus is the more offensive option, while Zapdos is the more defensive. They both have similar jobs, but Thundurus is guaranteed Speed Control while Zapdos opens up a moveslot for Latios. I think that Thundurus will be better in the long run, but ultimately its up to you. Raikou is definitely better than Zapdos though, in my opinion.

It all depends on what you think you need on your team. Thundurus is the more offensive option, while Zapdos is the more defensive. They both have similar jobs, but Thundurus is guaranteed Speed Control while Zapdos opens up a moveslot for Latios. I think that Thundurus will be better in the long run, but ultimately its up to you. Raikou is definitely better than Zapdos though, in my opinion.
Millionsunz Thanks for all the help man. I think I will just test the team with each of the electric types and see which of them works best for me. (I've played with Raikou for a while and to me it seems too obvious what I'm going to do with it. I always lose momentum whenever Raikou is out. I always Volt at the wrong times, and HP Ice when they stay in.)

I think Zapdos is better since your team is really Bisharp Weak. :)

PS: You can't use Defog on Static Zapdos, keep attention! You can opt for Toxic, Volt Switch or Hidden Power Ice in the fourth slot.
Mister57 Thanks for all the ideas! I will try all the electric types to see what is best.

First, let's take a moment to admire this beast of a Pokemon.

(the god: banned from UU, banned from OU)

Second, let's review the happenings of this very analytical RMT thread.

A.D. 79 - Volcanion + M-Scizor Bulky Offense (RMT Summary)

The Original Squadron

(the original squadron) http://pastebin.com/EFwd2Hvu
A modest squad of 184 Speed Specs Volcanion, Bulky SD Scizor, no speed Defensive Lando-T, AV Raikou, LO Latio, and Scarf Pursuit Tyranitar.
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The Improved Squadron (#Godsquadron)

(the new and improved squadron)
It doesn't seem very different in terms of the Pokemon involved, but the sets and EVs are adapted to become a godsquad.
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Toxic
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Impact Changes

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
To:
Volcanion @ Choice Specs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Rationale: At first, I wanted to speed creep Rotom-W and Defensive Landorus-T, so I ran 184 speed, hitting 222. However, Millionsunz helped me realize that most Lando-T's will start running more speed to outspeed max speed Modest Volcanion, and Landorus-T doesn't even OHKO with EQ. Therefore, I now run max bulk and max SpAtk Modest for maximum bulk and power. The 8 leftover EVs I put into speed to outspeed other no speed Volcanions, as suggested by Millionsunz

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
To:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Rationale: 44 Def EVs allow Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Lopunny's HJK (which my team is quite weak to).

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
To:
Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Rationale: Thanks to Eutychios , my Lando-T is optimized to live HP Ices, Ice Punches, Draco Meteors. With the combination of its EV spread and Yache Berry, this Lando-T can better check Mega Lopunny, Medicham and Metagross. Also, Eutychios recommended Knock Off over Stone Edge because the rest of my team can take care of flying types. Knock Off also provides Knock Off support, making it easier to deal with Chanseys and other bulky Pokemon that rely on their items. The 104 speed outspeeds Modest Volcanion and Adamant Breloom.

>

Raikou @ Assault Vest
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball
To:
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash
- Toxic
- Roost

Rationale: I had Raikou on the team as a pivot and for its electric STAB. I really liked AV Raikou because of its ability to so effortlessly check the Lati twins. However, as I played against bulkier builds, Raikou was becoming a liability: every time I went for Volt Switch the opponent staying in and when I predicted by HP Icing the opponent went to the wrong Pokemon. Therefore, I experimented with the likes of AV Tornadus-T, Defensive Rotom-W, SpDef Rotom-W, Twave Thundurus, Serperior, etc..
I finally selected Zapdos because it relieves the pressure off of Landorus to check birds and other offensive threats. Also, the Lati problem could be solved with more careful playing like doubling into Ttar when necessary and Crunching versus Pursuiting at the right time. I selected Air Slash over Heat Wave as recommended by Eutychios because I already have Volcanion to deal with Ferrothorns and Scizors. Also, instead of using Pressure Defog Zapdos, I'm using a Static Toxic one. (I really don't like Zapdos Defogging)

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog
No Change

Rationale: When HQuaze first suggested Scarf Latios, I was enjoyed because I thought I had finally found the answer to my lack of speed. And when Zapdos was suggested as a backup Defogger I thought the team was perfect. But I realized Scarf Latios was so prone to being Pursuit Trapped and taken advantaged of so I returned to LO Latios. And Latios gladly accepted the Defogging role once more. (Also, with Zapdos's Static, I think the speed control has been solved)

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
No Change

Rationale:
Tyranitar is very reliable and good Pokemon to use. I really wonder how much more this Pokemon can do and what other Pokemon I can pair it with (I'm looking at you Zard Y).

Epilogue

Thank you to all that have contributed to this RMT! I really appreciate this very warm welcome to the Smogon Community. I've really learned a lot and still have a lot to learn. I really appreciate all of the help on this team and I hope to get better!

If there are any more tips or advice, that would be very much appreciated. This team is not perfect.
(Keep the thread alive!!) ;-)

Acknowledgements

Terry24 - Although I didn't use your suggestion for Rotom-W over Raikou, I treasure your reply because you were the first person to ever talk to me in this community so thank you very much.

HQuaze - Thank you for your idea about Scarf Latios and contribution to whether or not I should switch Raikou for Zapdos.

Millionsunz - I've taken your Volcanion set and I'm very thankful for your contribution to me.

matthewc20090 - I fare well versus stall.

Eutychios - Thank you so much for your idea about Zapdos and Yache Landorus, I really like these sets that you contributed and hope to see you around the Smogon community.

Mister57 - Thank you for helping me come to the conclusion that I need Zapdos on my team.

If any of y'all need any help in any way, I will be willing to do it. (Just no dick sucking...)

Further Projects

Mega Metagross + Scarf Keldeo team in the making...
But unfortunately...
IronBullet said:
Only make one new RMT per two weeks, and don't "bump" your team more than once.
P.S. What does "bump" mean?

Last edited:

Breezy

formerly Quaze
Bro remember that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to build a perfect team in ORAS. You'll every time have some threatning mons wich give you some issues because 6 mons cannot cover the whole metagame.

You don't have to tag people who already replied to your/ other posts, they get the notification anyway.

"Bump" in this case is meant as "to post".

Last edited:
Bro remember that IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to build a perfect team in ORAS. You'll every time have some threatning mons wich give you some issues because 6 mons cannot cover the whole metagame.

You don't have to tag people who already replied to your/ other posts, they get the notification anyway.

"Bump" in this case is meant as "to post".
I know my team is not perfect. I'm just saying that thanks to you guys my team is improved from before. Also, I've learned a lot about my team and how to play with it.
Godsquad does not mean "perfect." It means awesome and fun to play with. (We'll at least according to my definition.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)