SM OU A Clown riding a Driller - Sand ft Blacephalon

A Clown riding a Driller - Sand ft Blacephalon

Introduction
Hey guys! Lando-San here with a first RMT! After lurking a lot on the forums, watching a good numbers of competitive games from diverse tournaments, i decided to build my own team, based on my favourite playstyle: sand, which I think is good right now, and can give most teams a very hard time. While I'm low ladder with the team, because of not that much play, it has a decent 17/3 record with something like 1370 elo, which is low, but, the best part of the team, is that it allows me win a Room Tournament on PS!, which is a interesting sight that the team works, but i feel it may be improved, so that's why i come here, looking for your wisedom and advice. Without nothing else to say, let's go ahead!

The teams starts with a pretty standar sand core with SR M-Tyranitar and Steelium Z Excadrill. All we know what this duo does, so, nothing to add here.

Since sand as an archetype has a pretty big weakness to M-Swampert and rain in general, i added Rotom-W. This dude helps a lot on that matchup, burning some foes and providing key momentum via Volt Switch. Also, gives the team a secondary Tornadus-T and Heatran check, which relieves pressure from M-Tyranitar to check those foes.

Next, a mandatory second steel-type to this team. Ferrothorn does a good job checking Ash-Greninja and being a nuisance to rain. It also provides a soft check to Tapu Lele and M-Alakazam. Also, it set up spikes, which is great combined with Excadrill's Rapid Spin to hazard stack in opposing side of the field.

I realized that threats like M-Medicham, M-Loppuny and Hawlucha melts through this team, so, I added Reuniclus to check them, while also providing a secondary win condition and my best bet against stall and some fat balances, which this team greatly appreciates.

Finally, I saw the team lacks a some firepower to break down walls and help Excadrill clean lategame, so, I added Choice Specs Blacephalon. This guys ended to be a MVP in a few matches because of the insane power behind its STABs, being able to destroy checks to Excadrill like fat Grass-type and Steel-types like RH Tangrowth, Skarmory, and Celesteela. Also, it helps against stall, as if I manage to KO Chansey or weak it, it can snowball out of control.

Breaking down the team

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch​

Mega evolution, sand setter and Stealth Rock Setter. M-Tyranitar does a good job at setting rocks, having a good matchup against common defog users like Zapdos and Tornadus-T, meaning rocks will be up almost anytime given chance to set them up. Also, it is a good check to threats like Heatran, M-Lati@s and opposing Blacephalon, which are hard to deal. The moveset is pretty standar, being Ice Punch the only variation of the common Earthquake set, being there to lure in Landorus-T as Excadrill needs it gone or weaken to clean. Also, it deals massive damage to Gliscor and Garchomp, taking pressure off from Rotom-W to check them.

Excadrill (M) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin​

Excadrill is a monster under sand, and it is very dangerous when combined with the sheer power of Steelium Z, being the main sweeper and cleaner of the team. Also, this dude have decent defensive utility as it can check Tapu Koko, taking off pressure from Ferrothorn, while with Rapid Spin is the main source of hazard removal, and it have great synergy with Spike Stack from Ferrothorn. Set is pretty classic too, Swords Dance to boost and muscle its way through would-be checks like Landorus-T and RH Tangrowth. Iron Head is the Steel-type STAB of choice, and it is really good as it can nuke some threats combined with a SD boost and Steelium Z, while Earthquake is the other STAB and can be spammed late game when Ground-immune pokemon are gone.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom-W was picked next to help with rain matchup, as it can be really annoying to the archetype to break through. It provides the team a valuable Ground immunity and a check to various Ground-type attackers like Scarf Landorus-T, Garchomp, Gliscor and the aforementioned M-Swampert. Moveset is pretty standar to be honest, with Hydro Pump and Volt Switch as STAB, WoW to burn threats and wear them down, and Pain Split as a form of recovery, which is very useful for this Pokemon. A good thing about Rotom-W is the fact that it draws in various Grass-type, which are Volt Switch fodder, which helps me bring in Blacephalon into the battle to breaking dutties.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
Ferrothorn was the next member, as it provides so much utility to the team, being the main Ash-Greninja check, a secondary answer to rain and the mandaroty fat Steel-type that any team needs. Set is the standar with dual STAB to help dealing with Water-types and Fairy-types, Leech Seed as a form of recovery and annoying opposing team, while forcing switches, to rack up residual damage with Spikes, which are great in this team because of Rapid Spin. Ferrothorn is good in this team, but it may be overloaded with all its task, so, it may be a point of improvement to the team, I'll leave this to you guys.

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Recover​

As the current team seems pretty weak to Fighting-types, I decided to add Reuniclus here to help dealing with those threats, while at the same time, providing a secondary win condition and a good mon against stall teams, which are a nuisance to Excadrill to deal, especially if they pack Skarmory. The moveset and EV spread are pretty standar, the only thing here is Thunder, which was especially selected to lure in and get a strong hit on Celesteela and some rain threats like Pelipper and Tornadus-T. This mon can set-up on common Sand Rush Excadrill counters like Zapdos, Rotom-W, Celesteela and Slowbro, to name a few, making it a great addition to the team and helping a lot with its defensive utility as well as its sweeping capabilities.

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick​

Finally, we have Blacephalon. I was wondering that this team was lacking some wallbreaking power to help Excadrill to sweep, and in all the jungle of OU breakers, I decided to add Choice Specs Blacephalon to the team for a few traits. First, its STAB combo is so good, because in OU, Ghost-resistant pokemon are a few, and they are prone to be worn down, like Greninja and Tyranitar, and few teams pack other answers to this, while with its Fire moves, it can break through common Excadrill's answer like RH Tangrowth, Skarmory, Celesteela and M-Scizor. Third, it improves the team matchup against balance and stall teams, as with M-Tyranitar, Reuniclus and this guy, stall teams can have a rough day. It also provies a way to revenge kill non-scarf Tapu Lele, which otherwise is an insane threat. Moveset is standar, with HP Grass being chosen to lure in and if they dare switch-in Greninja, which can be catched on the switch and eliminated, which helps Excadrill a lot, having one of its best offensive checks gone is great. Trick is the last choice, being helpful in stall matchup crippling some threats like Chansey and Toxapex, but it comes to the cost of losing breaking power.

This guys is a massive threat, especially SD sets, for which I don't have counterplay. Scarf sets can be played around depending on the move it locks, but, few chances to revenge kill.

Sand team lacking Toxapex or Mega Latias is going to have issues with this monster. It can be handled somewhat with Mega Tyranitar as it needs to risk the Focus Blast to kill it. The best bet against this is keep rocks in the field and try to revenge kill it with Blacephalon at full health.

Again, lacking Toxapex makes the team a bit weak to this mon. Since Excadrill is lacking Rock Slide, my best bet is keep rocks in the field, and pressure if offensively attempting to deny its setup, but it hard to do, especially if its team pack two defog users.

Rain teams can be handled relatively well with Rotom-W and Ferrothorn, but since they don't have recovery, they can be overwhelmed or lured it by things like Toxic or Superpower from M-Swampert, making them less reliable to this task.

This things is so annoying to deal with, and is a insanely high threat to the team. I don't have counters, and nothing want to switch-in because of Glare. Lacking Celesteela or ways of revenge kill it makes it a massive threat.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-971106594 Blacephalon the MVP.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-971117492 Tried the CelePex variant. They add a buttload of defensive utility, but lacking the pro-active nature or Rotom-W or the hazard setting from Ferrothorn. This was finals of a Room Tour and Reuniclus was the MVP.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-971124907 Again, Reuniclus MVP.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Excadrill (M) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Reuniclus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Thunder
- Recover

Blacephalon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Def / 232 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Final Thoughts
The team is decent, but i feel it can be improved in the right way, and that's why i came here. Hope you enjoyed the long read and can offer some type of feedback.
Thank you and have a nice day.

Last edited:
there is a weakness to ground which rotom can help out with but if he is down maybe tapu bulu can help you out since grassy terrian halfs damage from earthquake. Bulu can also be your 2nd physical sweeper taking out a sp.def tanks like chancy with superpower clearing the way for Blacephalon.I think bulu can replace ferrothorn since the popularity of magnezone is increasing and ferro is going to have some tough match ups

I don't agree with rexsamz, as Ferrothorn provides the team with enough of a defensive backbone to function as a sand-balance team, also, Spikes in combination with Rapid Spin is amazing in the current meta considering how much is weak to it and how many key players profit from that extra damage. Bulu would mitigate all that only for an arbitrarily better matchup against Earthquake spam, which can be troublesome for this team, but that doesn't validate its place here in my opinion.

Actually the only thing that bugs me is Blacephalon's set, Hidden Power Grass isn't really needed most of the time and Blacephalon really appreciates a 100% accurate fire STAB more. Whether you like Mind Blown or Flamethrower more is up to you, but I strongly recommend removing HP Grass.

I don't agree with rexsamz, as Ferrothorn provides the team with enough of a defensive backbone to function as a sand-balance team, also, Spikes in combination with Rapid Spin is amazing in the current meta considering how much is weak to it and how many key players profit from that extra damage. Bulu would mitigate all that only for an arbitrarily better matchup against Earthquake spam, which can be troublesome for this team, but that doesn't validate its place here in my opinion.

Actually the only thing that bugs me is Blacephalon's set, Hidden Power Grass isn't really needed most of the time and Blacephalon really appreciates a 100% accurate fire STAB more. Whether you like Mind Blown or Flamethrower more is up to you, but I strongly recommend removing HP Grass.
does ferro get 30% sp.def boost from sand stream because of its steel type or just immunity

there is a weakness to ground which rotom can help out with but if he is down maybe tapu bulu can help you out since grassy terrian halfs damage from earthquake. Bulu can also be your 2nd physical sweeper taking out a sp.def tanks like chancy with superpower clearing the way for Blacephalon.I think bulu can replace ferrothorn since the popularity of magnezone is increasing and ferro is going to have some tough match ups
I thought in Bulu as a rain answer as well as EQ spam, but, Grassy Terrain can turn against me, if i need to revenge kill something with Excadrill's EQ.
Thank you for the suggestion tho, need to check it out how it works.

Blace is using HP Grass as the main source of he can deal damage to Tyranitar, and can server as a lure to Greninja, especially because lot of teams lacks a sturdy check to it. I would remove HP Grass and use it with Knocn Off or Flamethrower.
Thank you for your suggestion c:

I thought in Bulu as a rain answer as well as EQ spam, but, Grassy Terrain can turn against me, if i need to revenge kill something with Excadrill's EQ.
Thank you for the suggestion tho, need to check it out how it works.

Blace is using HP Grass as the main source of he can deal damage to Tyranitar, and can server as a lure to Greninja, especially because lot of teams lacks a sturdy check to it. I would remove HP Grass and use it with Knocn Off or Flamethrower.
Thank you for your suggestion c:
Greninja gets murdered by Specs Mind Blown regardless and even if it‘s super effective, HP Grass won‘t do anything of note to Tyranitar. If you really want something for Tyranitar, run HP Fighting. But since the team already has multiple ways of dealing with it I highly encourage the use of Mind Blown or Flamethrower over Hidden Power as a personal recommendation.

Greninja gets murdered by Specs Mind Blown regardless and even if it‘s super effective, HP Grass won‘t do anything of note to Tyranitar. If you really want something for Tyranitar, run HP Fighting. But since the team already has multiple ways of dealing with it I highly encourage the use of Mind Blown or Flamethrower over Hidden Power as a personal recommendation.
Blace cant run HP Fighting because of the lock of three stats having 31 IV, for HP Fighting, you need 2 stats in 31 IV (IIRC).

I would run Flamethrower, as being Blace a wallbreaker, I dont want it to die fast :)
Thank you for your suggestions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)