5th Gen Breeding Guide (WIP)

I got a couple of questions:
-Is it possible to still do te Masuda Methode when one of the pokemon holds a everstorn?
-And is it ok if I turn the DS off or does it have to on all the time/on standby at most?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Is it absolutely pointless to give both parents Power items?
Sort of, yes. If both parents hold a Power item, then it guarantees one parent will pass down that IV. However the other parent is guaranteed not to pass down that IV via the power item (it might possibly pass it down anyway), now that I think about it. If both parents are holding the same power item, then it is definitely a waste.
That's right, is there a post with the info about abilities? :s (for RNGing 5th Gen)
Check the RNG guide.
"1:6.25 chance of passing down the two remaining specific IVs that you want to pass down"

Isn't it a 2:11=1:5.5?
(2 IVs you want, 11 possible IVs left after the power band being subtracted.)

And is the 1:2.5 ability because it's a dream world ability?
I need to double check my math on this one, but my original figures show it's a 4:25 chance (which simplifies to 1:6.25) to pass down two remaining specific IVs that you want, as long as both parents have the same IV that you want to pass down.

The way I figure is that there's 10 IVs to pass down, not 11. If the game decides to pass down the HP IV from the Male parent, it's not subsequently going to try to pass down the HP IV from the Female parent at the same time, it's going to pick one of the remaining 5 IVs.

Subsequently if the second IV to pass down is Attack from the male parent, the third IV will not be Attack from the female parent, it will pick one of the remaining four IVs from both parents.

First IV there's 12 total possibilities
Second IV there's 10 remaining possibilities (because two possibilities have been eliminated)
Third IV there's 8 remaining possibilities (because four possibilities have been eliminated)

And of course if both parents have the same exact IVs, then the possibilities are halved.

That's how I figure it anyway.

And yes, 1:2.5 is 4:10, which is the probability of passing down a Dream World ability from the female parent.

I got a couple of questions:
-Is it possible to still do te Masuda Methode when one of the pokemon holds a everstorn?
-And is it ok if I turn the DS off or does it have to on all the time/on standby at most?
Everstone does not work when using parents from different regions, so no. And I don't understand your second question.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Everstone does work with parents from different regions. I have bred multiple Pokémon in 5th gen using a Japanese parent + English Ditto / English parent or English Parent + Japanese Ditto / Japanese parent. This "glitch" only existed in the fourth generation.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Everstone does work with parents from different regions. I have bred multiple Pokémon in 5th gen using a Japanese parent + English Ditto / English parent or English Ditto / English Parent + Japanese Ditto. This "glitch" only existed in the fourth generation.
It doesn't even work in all fourth generation games either. It certainly didn't work in HeartGold and SoulSilver, which is what the 5th gen breeding mechanics are based off of.

Well I can breed but will they have a higher chance of being shiny?

And I heard that you aren't allowed to turn off your ds when doing the masuda method can anyone confirm this?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
The Masuda Method, unless it's changed since generation 4, increases your chances of breeding a shiny Pokemon from 1/8192 to 1/2048 if you use Pokemon from different regions. The downside is that using an Everstone to pass down natures will not work.

It would make little difference if you turn off your DS or not unless you are RNGing (which again this guide does not cover).

I read somewhere that it has been increased to something around 1300 so the everstone mechanics might have changed.

OH yeah, thanks for clearing that up, I forgot you can't have two of the same IVs. I mean, I know that, but I forgot to take it out of the ratio. So you are correct. :D

More question time!
When there are two possible abilities, and both the parents have the same ability, does it affect the odds at all?

I change my question.

"Mathematically speaking:
1:2.5 chance of passing down Ability
1:2 chance of passing down Nature of Female
Guaranteed chance of passing down one specific IV
1:6.25 chance of passing down the two remaining specific IVs that you want to pass down

Your overall odds of getting the offspring you want are:
1:31.25, or 4 out of every 125 eggs.

If you wanted to pass down 3 specific IVs from the male parent, your odds change to:
1:2.5 chance of passing down Ability
1:2 chance of passing down Nature of Female
Guaranteed chance of passing down one specific IV from the Male parent
1 in 25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs from the Male parent.

Your overall odds become:
1:125, or 1 out of every 125 eggs."

I don't get this, why is it more rare for the male?

"1 in 6.25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs.
1 in 25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs from the same parent."

Can you explain this, I am confused, when you say 1 in 6.25 chance, does it mean Defense from either parent, or does it mean defense from the other parent? It means either, right?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
In that example I had the Everstone on the Female parent, and the Power item on the Male parent. It could easily be the other way around; the odds don't change in that case.

And yeah the wording is a bit confusing.

1:6.25 chance of passing down any two IVs that you want, if the parent doesn't matter.
1:25 chance of passing down any two IVs that you want, if the parent does matter.

When you say the parent does matter, do you mean like the female has 1 Defense IV, and the Male has 31 defense IV, then it would be a 1:25 chance if that was the case for both of the 31 IVs you want to transfer?

In that example I had the Everstone on the Female parent, and the Power item on the Male parent. It could easily be the other way around; the odds don't change in that case.

And yeah the wording is a bit confusing.

1:6.25 chance of passing down any two IVs that you want, if the parent doesn't matter.
1:25 chance of passing down any two IVs that you want, if the parent does matter.
It couldn't be the other way around though, because the everstone/nature trick only works with the female, so if you have one specific IV that you want to definitely pass down, it has to be from the male.

Edit: Or at least it did last gen. I don't know about this one.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
When you say the parent does matter, do you mean like the female has 1 Defense IV, and the Male has 31 defense IV, then it would be a 1:25 chance if that was the case for both of the 31 IVs you want to transfer?
I mean if you want a Defense IV to pass down, but you don't care which parent passes it down, then you have better odds of getting the offspring you want.

If the parent passing it down does matter, it decreases the odds of getting the offspring you want.
It couldn't be the other way around though, because the everstone/nature trick only works with the female, so if you have one specific IV that you want to definitely pass down, it has to be from the male.

Edit: Or at least it did last gen. I don't know about this one.
Since HeartGold and SoulSilver you've been able to put the Everstone on either parent (as long as they are from the same region). This mechanic carried over into Black and White. So if you want to pass down the nature of your Male parent, you put the Everstone on your Male parent.

So can a japanese dream world pokemon and english male pokemon have a shot at passing the dream world ability?
As far as I know, yes.

Unlike in Gen IV, you can't lock into an egg nature. I.e if you save before a, say, bold frillish egg, you may not get that upon starting up the game again.

Okay I need help trying to make my breeding go fast and efficient as possible.

I have been working on a check list of sort as a prerequisites to breeding my desired Pokemon.
I don't have access to another DS at the moment so I can't touch my DP game at all. So All my breeding and such has to be done in BW.

1. Catch Synchronize Pokemon, I was catching Munnas until I found out about Elgyen. I'm working on catching all the natures outside of the neutral ones.

2. Got my magikarp to catch Dittos. Using False swipe Haxorus to make it even easier.

3. Synch natures onto wild Dittos and catch several of each nature.

4. Organize them accordingly in PC. Check IVS to eliminate obsolete Dittos.

Now what??? What should be the next thing I should do before starting to breed.
I want to do research on egg moves and such but don't know where to look for all possible egg moves for specific Pokemon.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I'll definitely post up on my personal findings.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I am pretty sure that in Black and White Ditto retains its capture rate of 35 regardless of its transformation. This makes it significantly harder to capture wild Ditto and invalidates your Magikarp method.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I am pretty sure that in Black and White Ditto retains its capture rate of 35 regardless of its transformation. This makes it significantly harder to capture wild Ditto and invalidates your Magikarp method.
My own research suggests this to be the case now, as well. Which is quite an annoyance.

Oh but the other good thing about letting it transform into Magikarp is that it can only do splash and I don't have to worry about it hurting my Pokemon as I attempt to catch it. Level 50+ Ditto can hit pretty hard at times, lol.

You should add this, this was what the Iv "Judge" might say about your pokemon

Pokémon's Potential IV Total
Decent 0 to 90
Above Average 91 to 120
Relatively Superior 121 to 150
Outstanding 151 to 186

Highest IV Range
Rather Decent 0 to 15
Very Good 16 to 25
Fantastic 26 to 30
Can't Be Better 31

under breeding compatibility, you can just make 1 group instead of 4 separate groups. It looks better that way imo.
Every pokemon inside a breeding group can breed with eachother, that is why they are seperated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)