Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Yes and no. Yes because it's textbook, he will never ever lose. But, does ANY superhero ever lose? And by lose, actually face an enemy they cannot ever beat, they die, timeline over. All comic book characters are mary sues because they are protagonists of a story that cannot end. Compared to humans, batman is a mary sue. In the comic book "world", I do not think so. Batman is theoretically capable of achieving the feats he does, and remains within the "rules" set by the comic. Batman loses momentarily against several foes. Batman is also a flawed character by the way of values because he has an addiction to raising kids to be violent and is (detestably) responsible for the deaths of many innocent people by the hands of villains he refuses to eliminate.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah. That's how I feel. I feel like he is a Mary Sue under some writers. Of course superheroes will win a majority of their fights though, that's just how the hero's journey works

I don't mind Batman being badass and never losing honestly. That's not what makes a Mary Sue. But you have to be realistic and realize his life is fucking SHIT. This is why I disagree when people say Batman is the most relatable superhero, just because he has no powers.

Batman is his life in a way that is not true for other superheroes. Superman can go be Clark Kent and have his friends. Bruce Wayne is a lie, his only friend is Alfred really.

That's why I really like how he was portrayed in the DCAU and the Nolan movies. Being Batman would destroy your life. You would end up alone, because you have nothing to do after being Batman.