Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Young right just sounds silly, like really catchy
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
ok that's not really the main point though, I just mean what do you think about white nationalists "owning" the word altright because they own the website? Obviously you can't own a word, but actually having that website goes a long way to giving the impression that you are the legitimate mouthpiece for that group.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I don't think the alt-right actually controls the meaning of the word: everybody else in the world does
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah and they would base that meaning on what is being said by what they consider to be legitimate mouthpieces, right? Not like they just make this shit up out of nowhere
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Yeah. The alt-left doesn't want to be called the alt left but it's too late. Because nobody controls what it means except mainstreamers
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
actually I thought that was an interesting part of the Richard Spencer interview. He was asked why he cares more about racial identity than national identity and he said basically "your enemies are the ones who decide what your identity is"
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
o fuk now I'm on richard spencer's side :pirate:
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Lol I mean what he had to say was interesting. Doesn't mean you have to agree with all of it. For example he says non-white people aren't especially patriotic whereas I feel on average, most Asians will tend to be more conservative and think the western system is better.

And a lot of his ideas are kind of "never going to happen" like he wants to create a new country for African-Americans because they don't have the same culture as Africans at this point. I agree with the premise but not the conclusion.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Hahahahahaha I'm fairly sure that if you surveyed white ppl and all others on their patriotism level, he would be surprised
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
how so
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Anecdotal evidence only, but Hispanic people fuckin love America (my hometown has the 2nd highest Hispanic population in America). I would wager most immigrants feel the same way. Especially people from asia or middle east (which has a fairly high likelihood of fleeing from persecution). I can't really offer to much opinion on the "black community" and how patriotic "they" are tho.

The point is that I think saying nonwhite people aren't patriotic is next level retarded, richard spencer lul
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Well he suggests because of the oppression of blacks, i.e. slavery and such, that they cannot celebrate that part of American history which he finds to be extremely important.

It was pretty interesting tbh. He agrees with most of the premises of left-wing people, just arrives at completely separate conclusions.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Also I agree with you on that, like my parents who escaped communist Vietnam. People from Cuba as well tend to be very conservative I am told.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
who the fuck can "celebrate" that part of history like what the hecko dude this man real?
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Well not "celebrate" as in he wants to reinstate slavery or believes in racial hierarchy, but more like he wants people to accept it as an important and vital part of American history, rather than trying to wash it away or make reparations for it.

That's what I gather at least, I don't want to misrepresent.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I mean the holocaust is also important, there's plenty of important stuff in history. I am the farthest from saying that slavery wasn't the most important institution that built America, but like "celebrate", that is one word to describe it lmao
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
celebrate was my word, not his. my bad
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
celebrate was my word, not his. my bad