Resource SV OU Indigo Disk Viability Ranking Thread

I’m not very highly ranked, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. This isn’t a critique of any rankings, it’s actually how much I agree with pults ranking.

Hex pult is one of the most frustrating mons for nearly every archtype to account for. Sure, it really only fits on Balance and some fatter Bulky Offense teams-mainly due to its lack of immediate power making it stronger against teams worn down by status/hazards, but if you can fit it there isn’t much that can stop pult from achieving what it wants.

It single handily invalidates or at the very least annoys the most common ways for nearly every archtype to account for it-Kingambit and Ting-Lu. Kingambit especially hates it, half the time it feels as though I have to let it get burnt just so it dosen’t reak havoc on the rest of my team, or stay in against it with whatever I have just so it at least takes some chip before I get statused.

It has very few reliable answers, Flash Fire Heatran is decent-but Pult can simply choose to slot in twave over wisp/u-turn and beat the hell out of it.

Outside of niche picks like Incineroar, the only reliable answer to it is Garganacl.

AND THATS JUST ONE SET. Sure, Specs and especially Band are being shyed away from as Balance and Bulky Offence is now beginning to revolve around breakers that can ignore hazards-like Weavile and Zamazenta, but Tusk is still going as strong as ever along with Hatterene and the innovative taunt Lando-t.

Seriously the only like 100% counter to it is Garg, and even then it can slot in Surf pretty reasonably on its specs set.

Not broken, but seriously annoying.

I feel like Incineroar should maybe be ranked here. It is great into Kingambit, Gholdengo, Dragapult, non-tera(blast) Volcarona/Serperior, Glowking, Skeledirge, Weavile, Meowscarada, niche stuff like Ceruledge too. Paired with wish support/Grassy Terrain or just strategic usage of HP, it can put in plenty of work with the combo of Knock Off and Will-O-Wisp. Pairs well with Hex Dragapult. I'd dare to say it's better than Deoxys-Defense, which seems to be ranked here. I nominate it for C-rank-ish. To be modest on its behalf.

Blissey is back in OU so I think it deserves a higher ranking than C+. It's still amazing on stall and still has fantastic special bulk. I'd think it's a B+ or A- but I'm not sure about that.
I'd say C+ rank is fair, cause it can only fit on stall teams. It's amazing on stall but being forced onto stall means that its less splashable than say Corv, which can fit on multiple playstyles. There could be some niche for blissey on other teams, but there's probably a reason why it isn't seen on non-stall teams. Speaking of something that can fit on multiple playstyles ...
:dondozo: -> B+/A-
Dondozo is what blissey wishes it could be, splashable. Dondozo is an amazing blanket check to many threats in the meta, while also being a strong mon that can hit back and potentially sweep games with curse. Imo, definetely underated in the viability list.

Blissey is back in OU so I think it deserves a higher ranking than C+. It's still amazing on stall and still has fantastic special bulk. I'd think it's a B+ or A- but I'm not sure about that.
Simply being OU doesn't entitle a mon to a specific rank, and vice versa. Blissey is still stuck purely on stall due to its flaws, and even then it has far too many issues by itself to justify raising, let alone that high.

Simply being OU doesn't entitle a mon to a specific rank, and vice versa. Blissey is still stuck purely on stall due to its flaws, and even then it has far too many issues by itself to justify raising, let alone that high.
I still remember the time when I believe in Gen 6 RU Donphan was Top 3 most used for a specific month but it was still D/C- rank lmao

:Muk: UR -> D
The following is an excerpt from "The Stall Bible" by knexhawk assisted by quacc and SupaGmoney:
"Why the hell would you use Muk-Kanto? Well, similar to Hydrapple, Muk has Sticky Hold to block item removal from Knock Off and Trick. Muk is capable of blocking far different users of these moves due to its different defensive profile. It can effectively block Knock Off Iron Valiant, Clefable, Meowscarada, non-Earthquake Gliscor, Trick Gholdengo, and Weavile and Life Orb Deoxys-Speed with Tera. It can also beat Hatterene, Psyshock and Stored Power, if it doesn’t Tera, or you poison it. Defensively, it's solid into mixed Enamorus, mixed Hex Dragapult, and Serperior as well."

Essentially, Muk, while restricted to stall, fills a valuable niche as a knock off absorber that deals with several Pokémon problematic to the archetype and shines in these matchups over more typical absorbers such as Hydrapple (often freeing up a Tera slot) Magic Guard Clef (who is rare, limited in utility, and carries an opportunity cost of not running unaware,) and Gliscor (who is excellent but struggles with most of the above matchups.) Muk is especially notable vs Knock users whose other moves are Special such as Torn and Thund T as well as Valiant Wake and Darkrai. It's not remotely splashable but it has a job it's good at doing that nothing else can.

I would argue Blissey merits a slight boost from before due to the Flamethrower innovation, ppl are running budget scald that beats Ghold over seismic toss and it's pretty good because very few Blissey switch ins want to take a burn from Flamethrower. Not sure what the "issues" you're referring to are, it still matches very well into any special attacker that doesn't carry random body press superpower or knock.

:garganacl: -> A/A+

I think Garganacl is really good right now. It's the only thing in the meta that can comfortably switch into dual status pult, and is a fantastic mixed wall. It can either function as a rocks setter or a curse user and it does both roles fantastically. In particular, I think tera water variants (probably with curse) are the best right now because it stops Gholdengo, and teams without Bolt or a grass type can often just hard lose to this thing. Great mon.

Essentially, Muk, while restricted to stall, fills a valuable niche as a knock off absorber that deals with several Pokémon problematic to the archetype and shines in these matchups over more typical absorbers such as Hydrapple (often freeing up a Tera slot) Magic Guard Clef (who is rare, limited in utility, and carries an opportunity cost of not running unaware,) and Gliscor (who is excellent but struggles with most of the above matchups.) Muk is especially notable vs Knock users whose other moves are Special such as Torn and Thund T as well as Valiant Wake and Darkrai. It's not remotely splashable but it has a job it's good at doing that nothing else can.
I wouldnt say you described that the best but yeah muk isnt just a random shitmon.

:Iron Crown: -> B+ Rank
This mon is pretty solid. I have tried multiple sets on it, including Booster CM, Specs, and Assault Vest FSight and all of them are fantastic. Its wide array of coverage, decent defensive profile, and strong utility options with Future Sight make it a strong pick on several different offensive styles & creates powerful synergies with other staples such as Landorus-T and Hisuian Samurott. Iron Crown has a decent amount of utility vs many key threats, namely Kyurem, opposing Future Sight users, and some slower physically bulky Grounds, namely Great Tusk and Landorus-T, which it can't switch into, but threatens out for high damage. Admittingly, Iron Crown does face competition with Gholdengo and Galarian Slowking, but I'd argue it acts as a sidegrade to both, compressing the defensive utility both can provide & offering its own unique traits such as its base 98 Speed tier which passes some relevant benchmarks against Landorus-T, Great Tusk, etc. It's typing does also possess similar issues that Gholdengo's typing has against staples such as Kingambit, Volcarona, Gouging Fire, etc. However, I'd argue that Iron Crown's greater speed and Volt Switch gives it more flexibility against the likes of Gouging Fire + lets it threaten out mons like Kyurem and Great Tusk more effectively rather that get forced out itself. Tachyon Cutter is also a fairly spammable move, given that many of the higher tier mons that resist it don't have recovery (its mainly just Gholdengo and Volcarona). Its also nice at limiting some common offensive leads such as Glimmora.

:Iron Crown: -> B+ Rank
This mon is pretty solid. I have tried multiple sets on it, including Booster CM, Specs, and Assault Vest FSight and all of them are fantastic. Its wide array of coverage, decent defensive profile, and strong utility options with Future Sight make it a strong pick on several different offensive styles & creates powerful synergies with other staples such as Landorus-T and Hisuian Samurott. Iron Crown has a decent amount of utility vs many key threats, namely Kyurem, opposing Future Sight users, and some slower physically bulky Grounds, namely Great Tusk and Landorus-T, which it can't switch into, but threatens out for high damage. Admittingly, Iron Crown does face competition with Gholdengo and Galarian Slowking, but I'd argue it acts as a sidegrade to both, compressing the defensive utility both can provide & offering its own unique traits such as its base 98 Speed tier which passes some relevant benchmarks against Landorus-T, Great Tusk, etc. It's typing does also possess similar issues that Gholdengo's typing has against staples such as Kingambit, Volcarona, Gouging Fire, etc. However, I'd argue that Iron Crown's greater speed and Volt Switch gives it more flexibility against the likes of Gouging Fire + lets it threaten out mons like Kyurem and Great Tusk more effectively rather that get forced out itself. Tachyon Cutter is also a fairly spammable move, given that many of the higher tier mons that resist it don't have recovery (its mainly just Gholdengo and Volcarona). Its also nice at limiting some common offensive leads such as Glimmora.
I agree that Crown should move up, but just to B. I like using it on Screens teams that have multiple Drsgon sweepers Like Gouging Fire, Raging Neck, and Roaring Moon. Latias fills a similar role, but Iron Crown has been more synergistic when it comes to setting up, breaking Unaware walls, and giving a Dragon sweeper a good matchup to set up on.

With that said, that's still an edge case as a Stored Power breaker. Taunt Roaring Moon and SD Ogerpon-W are more splashable choices that deal with Unaware walls. Furthermore, a weakness to Skeledirge's and Clodsire's STABs holds back on Crown's ability to break them realistically.

Last edited:
1710302721606.pngUnranked -> higher
I’m surprised to see that Slither Wing isn’t on the VR. It can absolutely pull some weight in the current meta. Bulky pivot sets pack favorable matchups against common threats like Gambit, Tusk, and Rillaboom. First Impression is an amazing move to reliably revenge kill deadly foes like Roaring Moon, Weavile, and Waterpon.

With U turn, First Impression, and Morning Sun Slither Wing fills the role of a bulky pivot that combos good longevity with effective revenge killing in a pinch. This is a unique and valuable combo of traits that is not seen on many other mons in the tier.

Justice for Slither Wing!
1710302781822.jpeg

:ting lu: -> A/A-
This mon feels so awkward to use. There's so many good ground types in the tier and it feels like it struggles to justify itself against them; Tusk is borderline necessary for hazard removal, and in terms of setting hazards, things like Landorus and Gliscor offer a ground immunity (extremely valuable in a tier with Tusk as the best mon), but are also much less hazard weak because of it and can either pivot or get access to reliable recovery. Ting Lu is very fat, and ruination is great, but it just feels really awkward to slot in a tier where you're already stacked for threats to cover.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
:ting lu: -> A/A-
This mon feels so awkward to use. There's so many good ground types in the tier and it feels like it struggles to justify itself against them; Tusk is borderline necessary for hazard removal, and in terms of setting hazards, things like Landorus and Gliscor offer a ground immunity (extremely valuable in a tier with Tusk as the best mon), but are also much less hazard weak because of it and can either pivot or get access to reliable recovery. Ting Lu is very fat, and ruination is great, but it just feels really awkward to slot in a tier where you're already stacked for threats to cover.
Heavily disagree, Ting-Lu easily fits on many hazard stack builds and superman teams, which don't necessitate Tusk as well as Landorus-T not having enough bulk. Ting is insanely good against the sleue of Sticky web teams and HO, usually trading for at least for one or forcing out mons like Gouging Fire, Roaring Moon, Raging Bolt, Kingambit and Gholdengo, which are extremely common currently. It's one of the very few real Raging Bolt counters, which none of the other grounds particularly do well aside Clodsire and Iron Treads.

Heavily disagree, Ting-Lu easily fits on many hazard stack builds and superman teams, which don't necessitate Tusk as well as Landorus-T not having enough bulk. Ting is insanely good against the sleue of Sticky web teams and HO, usually trading for at least for one or forcing out mons like Gouging Fire, Roaring Moon, Raging Bolt, Kingambit and Gholdengo, which are extremely common currently. It's one of the very few real Raging Bolt counters, which none of the other grounds particularly do well aside Clodsire and Iron Treads.
I feel like you're talking about bootspam hazard stack balances, which correct me if I'm wrong are kind of mid right now due to difficulties making progress.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
I feel like you're talking about bootspam hazard stack balances, which correct me if I'm wrong are kind of mid right now due to difficulties making progress.
They're especially strong against most HO builds that don't run proper removal, cores of Gking/Ting-Lu/Skarmory are extremely effective at walling most of the metagame and getting hazards up, while keeping a fair good amount of leeway for partner options (usually Kyurem, a Knocker and a spinblocker)

hello. seeing as spl has concluded for me and I have been actively engaged in the tier I wanted to post a vr for the current meta of sv ou. things may change with future bans or just meta shifts but it's always been useful for me to create personal resources and if anyone can take something out of it that'd be great.

I believe ranks below A- are arbitrary so I've placed everything I think has great traits but causes a builder hindarance to properly utilize in "strong but limited".

"tournament loadable but bad" are mons that have either I have considered or have been loaded to spl but have significant drawbacks. they may fulfill an unique role or provide a potentialy massive wincon but their game to game performance or building strain makes them hard to objectively justify unless you are feeling quirky.

"archetype locked" should be fairly self-explanatory. mons limited to one specific archetype do not qualify for traditional viability as their viability is tied to their style's viability. briefly: webs good, screens decent, rain sun and stall bad.

Mons A- or above have consistent game to game performance and contribute positively to a team's cohesiveness. The VR is ordered at A- and above.

my-image (1).png

:ogerpon wellspring:: I will maybe make a longer post about this dickhead at another time but briefly: cudgel + leech + pr + sd lacks consistent counterplay that isn't unviable shitmons (defensive serp or no spore amogus) or banking that you can revenge kill it which is incredibly hard for a mon that can end games so quickly. It finds an obnoxious amount of free entry points with a good defensive typing, solid bulk, the ability to gain +1 spdef at any time, and a fairly common immunity that exploits common walls like mola/dozo. Tera Cudgel in its own right is incredibly strong and very spammable meaning it is an option you have to respect and prevents asshole plays like staying in raw with glis to click tox. Pult and Zama do a solid job of pivoting in and forcing out Waterpon once (hopefully) but they won't be able to come in twice. Quicker mons like Weav just get terad on and die. Is pretty much one progress checkpoint away from winning the game at any point and gets those opprounties very easily.

:kyurem:: I've flip flopped a bit on Kyurem but I think in the end it's a bit too variable and restrictive. Specs "forces" gking or volc onto every balance but since the majority of balance either is already doing this as those mons are incredible or is spamming tect on everything so other ice/ground resists can hit the field I don't think specs/boots 4a are real problems. I think where things get stupid are dd and sub 3a. dd between tera ground/tera can choose to either immediately nuke everything into oblivion or set up on fire types. I think where dd kyurem differs from other physical tera abusers is that you have to respect special so immediately going into skarm or corv is pretty much never an option and a +1 kyurem staring down gking is just far too often game ending. sub 3a (beam + freeze dry + ep) with tera steel defeats everything on its own instantly barring like blissey and gking+dirge (a core which isnt particularly easy to run.) I overall don't think it's a super healthy presence, if you think we "need" it to defeat weather than you don't fundamentally understand that weather loses to a million other things and not every team should have to run kyurem.

:volcarona:: mu moth. not sure what to say that hasnt been said before. capable of beating anything short of tera water dirge/bliss/clod with set variance. I just think people underestimate how consistent most volc sets are too. tera ground beats the entire tier with very little move variance (wisp for dnite, sub for gking, roost for General) and defensive sets can easily afford dragon/steel that both provide useful defensive utility while also beating common answers. its defensive utility is geniuenly great to have so it'd be a bit of a shame to ban it so it's low on my list but it is stupid.

:raging bolt:: I don't want to run tinglu on every team or trade multiple mons on preview every game GRAHHHHHH

#1 :dragapult:: Pivot Pult is the most splashable mon in the tier due to its incredible speed tier, solid defensive benefits, good utility with wisp+uturn, and geniuenly quite hard to stop breaking ability. Other sets are okayyyyy. I like sash and dd but I don't think there's much need to mess with perfection, the pivot set on its own is the best mon in the tier. It has zero bad matchups able to spam uturn even in cases where you face garg which is like its only long-term answer.

#2 :great tusk:: when people tell me it's hard to remove in this tier I wonder if they have seen great tusk. this mon can end games instantly with bu while also providing immense utility with spin. this mon can run 3a boots to always spin and also knock half the team in the process. regardless of sets, is a great soft check to any mon using its attack stat. consistently amazing contributor and if this tier didnt have 20 amazing ground types it would be on every team.

#3 :kingambit:: I think this mon is a little overprepared for and people overestimate how much it can overcome with set variance but even with that caveat, it is kingambit yeah. incredible game to game performer with its raw bulk and insanely strong priority making it pretty much always useful. can be ur team's primary breaker or ur team's volcarona answer, what a god. it also makes up 50% of pult's viable counterplay so Gw.

#4 :gholdengo:: this mon can run 500000 sets and has no one mon that truly answers it. almost always demands a sacrifice or tera response for np variants. its defensive utility is a little limited and it cant really block tusk spin that consistently anymore but I dont think that slows it down a ton. it's a jack of all trades with its only shortcomings being poor speed and 4mss. if u dont pidgeonhold urself into attempting to make 2024 gholden spikestack work this mon is an incredibly potent progress maker with valuable unique utility.

#5 :slowking galar:: I was a hater of this mon for a long time cuz "wahh wahh tera steel or sub own it" but shockingly if u manage to have them dedicate an incredibly valuable resource into a mon that just pivoted on them then maybe it's good. its moveset is pretty flexible if you dont restrict urself to running future sight which I think is very mediocre in this meta. has good options like psyshock/flame/tox/surf that circumvent its linearity and vulnerability. can pretty much hold down the special check down for a team on its own giving it a place on offense and balance alike. good mon!

#6 :weavile:: defeats offense instantly on its own which is very potent for balance-ho. mildly limited by the fact that u have to be good at the game to use it and triple axel sometimes deciding to be useless but it's easily the best anti-offense option in the tier while only consuming one mon slot.

#7 :zamazenta:: stupid ass dog provides the best revenge kill option after pult and weav while also threatening to win itself with id variants. as with weav, finds itself a strong place on balance-ho. it sacrifices winning the game instantly for a large amount of flexibility such as its ability to roar out physical threats. is a bit inconsistent as a wincon but its defensive utility is more than enough to make up for that.

#8 :garganacl:: the importance of an item slot in this metagame makes running cloak a major concession which makes salt cure a major pain in the arse. even in mg clef or cloak games, it can still be useful by setting rocks and having numerous good defensive qualities most notably pult. after tera is a major pain in the ass to kill and can win games on its own aganist underprepared teams.

#9 :glimmora:: arguably warps the entire metagame around it with the ability to consistently set tspikes even through taunt/bounce greatly altering how you have to build. this is not to say that it is reliant on tspikes as it is not, glimm is the most consistent lead and getting up + keeping off + getting damage off. it also has decent set variance allowing it to make progress on preview or take matters into its own hands with meteor beam sets. it's the best poison for offense making glimmora often mandate other glimmora.

#10 :iron valiant:: has like a lot of sets man. swiss army knife speed control option for teams that only need it to hit the field once. can pretty much pick and choose what vital defensive mon to remove. not that great at being a wincon but I dont think it needs to be as its momentum utility and ability to lure mons is amazing.

#11 :dragonite:: prio is a very valuable tool in this tier and dnite has other great anti-offense tools such as encore to help its status as a great anti-offense presence. other sets such as tera fire dd, encore tera flying, and utility give it a lot of variety while still retaining its core purpose of giving a strong offense mu. not without flaws and stops beating mons that are running coverage or knock but its flexibility outweighs these limitations imo.

#12 :rillaboom:: terrain is broken and rilla is a solid pivot/rk mon in its own right. also the only Good waterpon answer for the moment.

#13 :landorus therian:: landorus therian on his average beat the entire tier type beat but now it also has taunt and a speed tier which is randomly good at checking tusk/gholden/glimm. legend

#14 :cinderace:: court change is a unique good hazard control option but this mon is lowkey a momentum god and can pick up a lot of suprise kills w coverage. I think no uturn attacking sets r defo valid too.

#15 :clefable:: this mon was not on my radar at all for the majority of its time in the tier but that has quickly changed. mg sets are some of the best role compression in the tier being able to take on a multitude of physical attackers which also picking and choosing mons to harass w options like knock/cm/twave/sticky barb/etc. unaclef with cosmic power is a very good unaware options that can sweep some offense games a lot more consistently than other unaware options, also not as reliant on tera. can fit a ton of counterplay on one set for bo/balance teams that are strapped on slots and it has some very unique traits such as the ability to actually beat garganacl.

#16 :gliscor:: has settled from its prior status as God because gliscor is really slow in offense mu which is very important in this tier. it's an absolute monster in games against other balance/bo tho and its offense utility isnt so terrible to where as you cant work around it. sd still very hard to deal w longterm and tox/uturn sets give it a lot of valuable game contribution.

#17 :primarina:: BOOM GOES THE CANNON. very good at forcing kills even into its best counterplay like gking and its amazing typing allows it a lot of natural entry points. options like subcm and psychic noise make it obnoxious to stop from killing shit. its weakness is that it never lasts very long and the games in which it doesnt accomplish much before being blown up by a ballistic missile or die by bashing its head into a gking shaped wall happen more often than you'd like.

#18 :ting lu:: this mon has possibly the best defensive profile in the tier but is so dead weight into balance and can struggle to accomplish much besides chipping shit even in mus where it is good. common mons like glis, lando, clef, corv, mola, etc. all walk all over it and in some cases prevent its hazards (assuming the team you're facing down even cares about hazards.) it also doesnt check anything for very long with its reliance on item leading to a susceptibility from chip and hazards. despite all of this, goddamn is this shit fat. invalidates some mons like raging, iron moth, gking, and gholden while also serving as a stopgap to even poor mus like valiant, hatt, gouging, and volcarona. its strengths are so massive that they are worth utilizing regardless of its shortcomings.

#19 :gouging fire:: talked about this mon to death so Cba but tldr, decent set variety between breaking swipe and booster with it posing a dangerous wincon in cases where a physical wall has been worn down. breaking swipe. isnt super reliable but booster is pretty much always a free trade minimum.

#20 :hatterene:: mbounce is such an amazing tool for offense even in cases where it's not super consistent at keeping off like glimm/samuh/treads it is an immensly threatening win condition. its job should mainly to be to stop 4 layers anyways, one layer shouldnt be a massive issue for your offense. also provides hwish to a tier that currently has some insanely broken round 2 mons like waterpon and kyurem.

#21 :iron treads:: this mon is ugly but has the best all around lead mu of any mon as well as being very hard to practically deny rocks. atk booster is funny.

#22 :corviknight:: id lets this mon softcheck the majority of physical attackers while also serving as a decent pivot w uturn. uturn also denies some brokens like pult from getting infinite free entry on you which is a massive boon relative to some walls further down on the list. isnt gonna wall the metagame on its own but it shouldnt have to and serves as a good stopgap. plz stop trying to run fog and praying they have no gholden, just run boots tusk or accept that hazards will go up.

#23 :alomomola:: great physical stopgap and wishpassing is pretty indespensible with mons like ting and skarm greatly appreciating it. this mon would be considerably higher if waterpon did not exist. sadly, it does and letting in a broken ass mon every time u hit the field is terrible. still worth using despite this so god knows how good it'd be in a tier w.o pon.

#24 :samurott hisui:: somewhat inconsistent game to game performance and having to hit spikes is a joke. despite that, it's a very respectable breaker and getting a free spike/potentially some good knocks is nice.

#25 :skeledirge:: walls so many guys and can win on its own in certain mus, terrain for example. has to avoid knock and status like the plague but that's par for the course for unaware mons.

#26 :skarmory:: corv prime. it sports mildy better defense and spikes as opposed to corv but lacks uturn which is a considerable trade off. letting in pult and gholden for free every time you hit the field is very bad making its diffuculty of use insanely high but sadly spikes is a good move so I do end up coming back to it a lot.

#27 :deoxys speed:: im not 100% sure what this mon even does but the knocks it forces are quite annoying and its coverage is very good so even tho it hits like a wet noodle it is incredibly annoying to lead into tho conversly it is odd to build around.

#28 :volcanion:: very consistent breaker with fire spin and water immunity is good. kinda slow for the tier and requires some pivoting/doubling to get in against offense but once it does something usually dies. run tera steel so you trap gking and have a decent chance to beat waterpon :0

#29 :roaring moon:: roaring mid am I right. fr tho it hates priority which is present on approximately every team ever and it is incredibly easy to trade down for. despite this, its forced trade targets such as corv and clef are potentially very annoying at enabling other threats like gambit, waterpon, and gouging. it is a little underwhelming on its own but a very respectable supportive mon for ho.

#30 :iron moth:: best poison for offense not named glimmora and it sweeps a ton of offense on preview. hard to fit as keeping rocks off has never been harder and red card can easily invalidate it but worth the effort, not completely useless in terms of team comp either as it is a tremendous tool against webs.

:Cresselia:: lunar dance is a very funny tool for some brokens running around like waterpon and kyurem. it's not deadweight on its own able to threaten twaves and trick scarf. can't be slapped on every team but very geniune threat if used properly.

:greninja:: I can feel in my bones that this mon is broken as hell but it's so hard to use and so unreliable. orb is a terrible item but it needs it and it hates prio even with tera ghost. I'm sure people better than the game at me can abuse this shit cuz man is it strong in a vacuum.

:manaphy: another mon that I feel is fairly underexplored. saw a fair amount of usage on webs but is also pretty good on terrain ime. some stored power shit has to be very good it just isnt super explored.

:zapdos: I think this mon is a few meta shifts away from returning to its prized role as an annoying asshole that limits clicking physical moves while being impossible to swap into. Fortunately for now, glis weav pult rain on its parade but it is still very usable and with the proper support could even go back to ruining the tier!

Overall, I really do enjoy this meta and it's my favorite OU atm besides maybe SM. Every style feels very distinct and viable with a massive amount of options to tap into. Tera is a very unique cool builder tool to have and feels pretty reasonable in-game once you're familiar with it. It does have some room to improve (said room being waterpon getting sent to jail) but even if the meta was to remain in this state I'd be pretty happy with it. I feel people are unfairly harsh to the tier for its differences from a typical gen of mons and unwilling to put the time in to get adept at it. Anyways, rambling aside, hopefully this post was entertaing or informative. If not, too bad!

hello. seeing as spl has concluded for me and I have been actively engaged in the tier I wanted to post a vr for the current meta of sv ou. things may change with future bans or just meta shifts but it's always been useful for me to create personal resources and if anyone can take something out of it that'd be great.

I believe ranks below A- are arbitrary so I've placed everything I think has great traits but causes a builder hindarance to properly utilize in "strong but limited".

"tournament loadable but bad" are mons that have either I have considered or have been loaded to spl but have significant drawbacks. they may fulfill an unique role or provide a potentialy massive wincon but their game to game performance or building strain makes them hard to objectively justify unless you are feeling quirky.

"archetype locked" should be fairly self-explanatory. mons limited to one specific archetype do not qualify for traditional viability as their viability is tied to their style's viability. briefly: webs good, screens decent, rain sun and stall bad.

Mons A- or above have consistent game to game performance and contribute positively to a team's cohesiveness. The VR is ordered at A- and above.

View attachment 616835

:ogerpon wellspring:: I will maybe make a longer post about this dickhead at another time but briefly: cudgel + leech + pr + sd lacks consistent counterplay that isn't unviable shitmons (defensive serp or no spore amogus) or banking that you can revenge kill it which is incredibly hard for a mon that can end games so quickly. It finds an obnoxious amount of free entry points with a good defensive typing, solid bulk, the ability to gain +1 spdef at any time, and a fairly common immunity that exploits common walls like mola/dozo. Tera Cudgel in its own right is incredibly strong and very spammable meaning it is an option you have to respect and prevents asshole plays like staying in raw with glis to click tox. Pult and Zama do a solid job of pivoting in and forcing out Waterpon once (hopefully) but they won't be able to come in twice. Quicker mons like Weav just get terad on and die. Is pretty much one progress checkpoint away from winning the game at any point and gets those opprounties very easily.

:kyurem:: I've flip flopped a bit on Kyurem but I think in the end it's a bit too variable and restrictive. Specs "forces" gking or volc onto every balance but since the majority of balance either is already doing this as those mons are incredible or is spamming tect on everything so other ice/ground resists can hit the field I don't think specs/boots 4a are real problems. I think where things get stupid are dd and sub 3a. dd between tera ground/tera can choose to either immediately nuke everything into oblivion or set up on fire types. I think where dd kyurem differs from other physical tera abusers is that you have to respect special so immediately going into skarm or corv is pretty much never an option and a +1 kyurem staring down gking is just far too often game ending. sub 3a (beam + freeze dry + ep) with tera steel defeats everything on its own instantly barring like blissey and gking+dirge (a core which isnt particularly easy to run.) I overall don't think it's a super healthy presence, if you think we "need" it to defeat weather than you don't fundamentally understand that weather loses to a million other things and not every team should have to run kyurem.

:volcarona:: mu moth. not sure what to say that hasnt been said before. capable of beating anything short of tera water dirge/bliss/clod with set variance. I just think people underestimate how consistent most volc sets are too. tera ground beats the entire tier with very little move variance (wisp for dnite, sub for gking, roost for General) and defensive sets can easily afford dragon/steel that both provide useful defensive utility while also beating common answers. its defensive utility is geniuenly great to have so it'd be a bit of a shame to ban it so it's low on my list but it is stupid.

:raging bolt:: I don't want to run tinglu on every team or trade multiple mons on preview every game GRAHHHHHH

#1 :dragapult:: Pivot Pult is the most splashable mon in the tier due to its incredible speed tier, solid defensive benefits, good utility with wisp+uturn, and geniuenly quite hard to stop breaking ability. Other sets are okayyyyy. I like sash and dd but I don't think there's much need to mess with perfection, the pivot set on its own is the best mon in the tier. It has zero bad matchups able to spam uturn even in cases where you face garg which is like its only long-term answer.

#2 :great tusk:: when people tell me it's hard to remove in this tier I wonder if they have seen great tusk. this mon can end games instantly with bu while also providing immense utility with spin. this mon can run 3a boots to always spin and also knock half the team in the process. regardless of sets, is a great soft check to any mon using its attack stat. consistently amazing contributor and if this tier didnt have 20 amazing ground types it would be on every team.

#3 :kingambit:: I think this mon is a little overprepared for and people overestimate how much it can overcome with set variance but even with that caveat, it is kingambit yeah. incredible game to game performer with its raw bulk and insanely strong priority making it pretty much always useful. can be ur team's primary breaker or ur team's volcarona answer, what a god. it also makes up 50% of pult's viable counterplay so Gw.

#4 :gholdengo:: this mon can run 500000 sets and has no one mon that truly answers it. almost always demands a sacrifice or tera response for np variants. its defensive utility is a little limited and it cant really block tusk spin that consistently anymore but I dont think that slows it down a ton. it's a jack of all trades with its only shortcomings being poor speed and 4mss. if u dont pidgeonhold urself into attempting to make 2024 gholden spikestack work this mon is an incredibly potent progress maker with valuable unique utility.

#5 :slowking galar:: I was a hater of this mon for a long time cuz "wahh wahh tera steel or sub own it" but shockingly if u manage to have them dedicate an incredibly valuable resource into a mon that just pivoted on them then maybe it's good. its moveset is pretty flexible if you dont restrict urself to running future sight which I think is very mediocre in this meta. has good options like psyshock/flame/tox/surf that circumvent its linearity and vulnerability. can pretty much hold down the special check down for a team on its own giving it a place on offense and balance alike. good mon!

#6 :weavile:: defeats offense instantly on its own which is very potent for balance-ho. mildly limited by the fact that u have to be good at the game to use it and triple axel sometimes deciding to be useless but it's easily the best anti-offense option in the tier while only consuming one mon slot.

#7 :zamazenta:: stupid ass dog provides the best revenge kill option after pult and weav while also threatening to win itself with id variants. as with weav, finds itself a strong place on balance-ho. it sacrifices winning the game instantly for a large amount of flexibility such as its ability to roar out physical threats. is a bit inconsistent as a wincon but its defensive utility is more than enough to make up for that.

#8 :garganacl:: the importance of an item slot in this metagame makes running cloak a major concession which makes salt cure a major pain in the arse. even in mg clef or cloak games, it can still be useful by setting rocks and having numerous good defensive qualities most notably pult. after tera is a major pain in the ass to kill and can win games on its own aganist underprepared teams.

#9 :glimmora:: arguably warps the entire metagame around it with the ability to consistently set tspikes even through taunt/bounce greatly altering how you have to build. this is not to say that it is reliant on tspikes as it is not, glimm is the most consistent lead and getting up + keeping off + getting damage off. it also has decent set variance allowing it to make progress on preview or take matters into its own hands with meteor beam sets. it's the best poison for offense making glimmora often mandate other glimmora.

#10 :iron valiant:: has like a lot of sets man. swiss army knife speed control option for teams that only need it to hit the field once. can pretty much pick and choose what vital defensive mon to remove. not that great at being a wincon but I dont think it needs to be as its momentum utility and ability to lure mons is amazing.

#11 :dragonite:: prio is a very valuable tool in this tier and dnite has other great anti-offense tools such as encore to help its status as a great anti-offense presence. other sets such as tera fire dd, encore tera flying, and utility give it a lot of variety while still retaining its core purpose of giving a strong offense mu. not without flaws and stops beating mons that are running coverage or knock but its flexibility outweighs these limitations imo.

#12 :rillaboom:: terrain is broken and rilla is a solid pivot/rk mon in its own right. also the only Good waterpon answer for the moment.

#13 :landorus therian:: landorus therian on his average beat the entire tier type beat but now it also has taunt and a speed tier which is randomly good at checking tusk/gholden/glimm. legend

#14 :cinderace:: court change is a unique good hazard control option but this mon is lowkey a momentum god and can pick up a lot of suprise kills w coverage. I think no uturn attacking sets r defo valid too.

#15 :clefable:: this mon was not on my radar at all for the majority of its time in the tier but that has quickly changed. mg sets are some of the best role compression in the tier being able to take on a multitude of physical attackers which also picking and choosing mons to harass w options like knock/cm/twave/sticky barb/etc. unaclef with cosmic power is a very good unaware options that can sweep some offense games a lot more consistently than other unaware options, also not as reliant on tera. can fit a ton of counterplay on one set for bo/balance teams that are strapped on slots and it has some very unique traits such as the ability to actually beat garganacl.

#16 :gliscor:: has settled from its prior status as God because gliscor is really slow in offense mu which is very important in this tier. it's an absolute monster in games against other balance/bo tho and its offense utility isnt so terrible to where as you cant work around it. sd still very hard to deal w longterm and tox/uturn sets give it a lot of valuable game contribution.

#17 :primarina:: BOOM GOES THE CANNON. very good at forcing kills even into its best counterplay like gking and its amazing typing allows it a lot of natural entry points. options like subcm and psychic noise make it obnoxious to stop from killing shit. its weakness is that it never lasts very long and the games in which it doesnt accomplish much before being blown up by a ballistic missile or die by bashing its head into a gking shaped wall happen more often than you'd like.

#18 :ting lu:: this mon has possibly the best defensive profile in the tier but is so dead weight into balance and can struggle to accomplish much besides chipping shit even in mus where it is good. common mons like glis, lando, clef, corv, mola, etc. all walk all over it and in some cases prevent its hazards (assuming the team you're facing down even cares about hazards.) it also doesnt check anything for very long with its reliance on item leading to a susceptibility from chip and hazards. despite all of this, goddamn is this shit fat. invalidates some mons like raging, iron moth, gking, and gholden while also serving as a stopgap to even poor mus like valiant, hatt, gouging, and volcarona. its strengths are so massive that they are worth utilizing regardless of its shortcomings.

#19 :gouging fire:: talked about this mon to death so Cba but tldr, decent set variety between breaking swipe and booster with it posing a dangerous wincon in cases where a physical wall has been worn down. breaking swipe. isnt super reliable but booster is pretty much always a free trade minimum.

#20 :hatterene:: mbounce is such an amazing tool for offense even in cases where it's not super consistent at keeping off like glimm/samuh/treads it is an immensly threatening win condition. its job should mainly to be to stop 4 layers anyways, one layer shouldnt be a massive issue for your offense. also provides hwish to a tier that currently has some insanely broken round 2 mons like waterpon and kyurem.

#21 :iron treads:: this mon is ugly but has the best all around lead mu of any mon as well as being very hard to practically deny rocks. atk booster is funny.

#22 :corviknight:: id lets this mon softcheck the majority of physical attackers while also serving as a decent pivot w uturn. uturn also denies some brokens like pult from getting infinite free entry on you which is a massive boon relative to some walls further down on the list. isnt gonna wall the metagame on its own but it shouldnt have to and serves as a good stopgap. plz stop trying to run fog and praying they have no gholden, just run boots tusk or accept that hazards will go up.

#23 :alomomola:: great physical stopgap and wishpassing is pretty indespensible with mons like ting and skarm greatly appreciating it. this mon would be considerably higher if waterpon did not exist. sadly, it does and letting in a broken ass mon every time u hit the field is terrible. still worth using despite this so god knows how good it'd be in a tier w.o pon.

#24 :samurott hisui:: somewhat inconsistent game to game performance and having to hit spikes is a joke. despite that, it's a very respectable breaker and getting a free spike/potentially some good knocks is nice.

#25 :skeledirge:: walls so many guys and can win on its own in certain mus, terrain for example. has to avoid knock and status like the plague but that's par for the course for unaware mons.

#26 :skarmory:: corv prime. it sports mildy better defense and spikes as opposed to corv but lacks uturn which is a considerable trade off. letting in pult and gholden for free every time you hit the field is very bad making its diffuculty of use insanely high but sadly spikes is a good move so I do end up coming back to it a lot.

#27 :deoxys speed:: im not 100% sure what this mon even does but the knocks it forces are quite annoying and its coverage is very good so even tho it hits like a wet noodle it is incredibly annoying to lead into tho conversly it is odd to build around.

#28 :volcanion:: very consistent breaker with fire spin and water immunity is good. kinda slow for the tier and requires some pivoting/doubling to get in against offense but once it does something usually dies. run tera steel so you trap gking and have a decent chance to beat waterpon :0

#29 :roaring moon:: roaring mid am I right. fr tho it hates priority which is present on approximately every team ever and it is incredibly easy to trade down for. despite this, its forced trade targets such as corv and clef are potentially very annoying at enabling other threats like gambit, waterpon, and gouging. it is a little underwhelming on its own but a very respectable supportive mon for ho.

#30 :iron moth:: best poison for offense not named glimmora and it sweeps a ton of offense on preview. hard to fit as keeping rocks off has never been harder and red card can easily invalidate it but worth the effort, not completely useless in terms of team comp either as it is a tremendous tool against webs.

:Cresselia:: lunar dance is a very funny tool for some brokens running around like waterpon and kyurem. it's not deadweight on its own able to threaten twaves and trick scarf. can't be slapped on every team but very geniune threat if used properly.

:greninja:: I can feel in my bones that this mon is broken as hell but it's so hard to use and so unreliable. orb is a terrible item but it needs it and it hates prio even with tera ghost. I'm sure people better than the game at me can abuse this shit cuz man is it strong in a vacuum.

:manaphy: another mon that I feel is fairly underexplored. saw a fair amount of usage on webs but is also pretty good on terrain ime. some stored power shit has to be very good it just isnt super explored.

:zapdos: I think this mon is a few meta shifts away from returning to its prized role as an annoying asshole that limits clicking physical moves while being impossible to swap into. Fortunately for now, glis weav pult rain on its parade but it is still very usable and with the proper support could even go back to ruining the tier!

Overall, I really do enjoy this meta and it's my favorite OU atm besides maybe SM. Every style feels very distinct and viable with a massive amount of options to tap into. Tera is a very unique cool builder tool to have and feels pretty reasonable in-game once you're familiar with it. It does have some room to improve (said room being waterpon getting sent to jail) but even if the meta was to remain in this state I'd be pretty happy with it. I feel people are unfairly harsh to the tier for its differences from a typical gen of mons and unwilling to put the time in to get adept at it. Anyways, rambling aside, hopefully this post was entertaing or informative. If not, too bad!
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/personal-ou-viability-rankings-the-indigo-disk.3732831/
I think this is the better thread for your thoughts. Don't worry, I also forgot this existed until now.
Disagree with some of your thoughts, but hey, we can both hate on kyurem together. :)
Also, like that you rank weavile high, that mon is disgusting.

:meowscarada: -> A

I think meowscarada is still a solid option in the metagame thanks to its set variety; while stabs/triple axel are probably mandatory, it has a lot of room for the last slot depending on the item, including uturn, low kick, trick if choiced, sucker punch (very underrated), spikes, tpunch, etc. It also can run choice band or choice scarf much easier then its obvious competitor, Weavile, thanks to not being rocks weak, which helps a lot either for breaking purposes (triple axel banded 2 shots skarm and corv) or for a much better offense matchup with scarf, outspeeding and revenging a lot of booster mons like valiant and moon. Flower trick is also really good as a non-contact move that can stop mons like curse garganacl, which can auto-win against teams, and being very spammable into stall. Overall solid mon.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
:dragapult: S- -> S

Dragapult is pretty good. Mixed dual status variants, which are the reason I'm making this nom, are excellent at spreading status while checking threats like Zamazenta, Volcarona, and Ogerpon Wellspring. If the combination of Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave wasn't hard enough to swap into, Darts+Hex hits the majority of the tiers defensive staples for high damage, with the only non-tera reliant and long term answer being Garganacl, although Pokemon like Gholdengo and Clodsire can terastalize to beat it and both Ting Lu and Kingambit can serve as mid term answers, although Kingambit hates burn. Boots make it hard to wear down over time while Focus Sash can cripple boosted mons like Moon, Valiant, Volcarona, and Great Tusk with burns or paralysis as long as hazards are kept off the field.

:Landorus-Therian: A -> A+

Landorus-T has shown itself to be one of the best defensive staples of bulky offense. The classic combo of Intimidate and U-turn is still as amazing in SV as it is in every other gen, while it can be used physical, mixed, or special to fit its teams needs. Special attacks let it 1v1 bulky setup mons like Zama, Gouging, and Tusk while being able to trade excellently vs lead Glimmora, while physical attacks are stronger vs the majority of the metagame.

random noms I don't feel like explaining:

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: A -> A+
:Ogerpon-Cornerstone: C+ -> B
:Deoxys-Speed::Enamorus::Skarmory: A -> A-/B+
:Kyurem: A+ -> A
:Iron Valiant: A- -> A+

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
My SPL run is over, so going to post my thoughts here and then also post a major team/thoughts dump in the SPL thread later this week. Going to post here and the personal VR thread for visbility and because this will mirror my votes on the upcoming VR slate (barring minor changes based on continued gameplay)

RE: S Rank,
  • :Kingambit: is a given; one of the best Pokemon in the tier with such distinguished strength, especially in the late game, and a great typing on the offensive and defensive end. One of the most effective and common users of Tera, too.
  • :Dragapult: maybe surpises some, but this is in order and I have it second without any personal doubts or questions. It is one of the strongest offensive presences with the Hex Boots set alone, slowly outlasting bulky teams while presenting a fast challenge for offense, too. Band is underrated, Specs is still good with the right support, and lead works on the right team, too. Just an all-around great Pokemon and arguably problematic to a degree.
  • :Great Tusk: is the ol' reliable of SV OU; it continues to be great at various roles within multiple archetypes. Will go down as a timeless titan of SV OU when it's all said and done.
  • :Zamazenta: is an absolute dog...literally and figuratively. Iron Defnese sets have variability to cover a ton of situations depending on your needs, AoA still can be good, and we are seeing people get more out of Tera on it than ever before with options like Fire and Steel to compliment your circumstances.
  • :Ogerpon-Wellspring: is borderline S / A+, but I included it on S line due to lack of S- and the fact that it is the single hardest Pokemon to switch into. This does not make it the best Pokemon because it is vulnerable to hazards, it can be frail, and it is not the fastest thing, but it is good enough across the board while being unreasonably challenging to swap into, so it fits in my top 5.
RE: A+ Rank,
  • :Volcarona: is a given and borderline S tier as a top 3 win condition in the tier no matter how you chop it. It has crazy versatility within sets, within teras, etc. and you also get defensive value against Fairy and Ice moves, too, while soft checking non-SE Zama, too.
  • :Gholdengo: used to be a staple in S tier and you can argue it belongs there or in S- if it were to exist, but it is still very good even if it is a tad worse than DLC1 for me. Hex sets are great as a newer development, but defensive NP, TrickScarf, and even Specs can do plenty of work right now while still abusing one of the best abilities ever and being a Steel in a tier lacking great depth of good Steel types.
  • :Slowking-Galar: being a top 8 Pokemon may surprise some, but it is approaching staple status on some BO and balance builds that want to avoid passivity while assuring threat coverage. The role compression Slowking-G presents is impressive; you cover Body Press 4x resistance, special choice lock scout with Regenerator, Fairy resist, soft-check to weather with tera Water + Chilly Reception, Future Sight, Toxic Spike soaking (and potentially setting), Serperior checking, etc. -- what a superb Pokemon.
  • :Ting Lu: and :Landorus-T: are the two best SR users in the tier -- SR Tusk is very hard to fit with how compressed it is right now and how awkward it feels if you drop Ice Spinner or Knock Off/BU in the wrong bulky match-ups honestly. Ting Lu is a dynamic presence just b/c of how much progress Ruination forces and the array of things it covers defensively. Landorus-T rounds out my top 10 as a more flimsy, but tempo focused alternative that has a Ground immunity, great Zamazenta match-up, etc. -- LandoT really came into its own within the last few months and is now close to staple status on offense.
  • :Garganacl: also in the top 10 barely; it is harder to use than some give credit due to Spikes/SR vulnerability and only having 8 Recover PP, but in the right settings it is nasty. A bit of a tera hog, but for good reasons where it thrives into offense and can force progress or certain lines into balance or bulky-offense even. Another good SR setter, too, in a tier that only has so many as some users (Tusk, Gliscor, Tinkaton, Clodsire, Chomp, Drill, etc.) prefer non-SR sets.
  • :Gliscor: is finally returning to great form after it was stuck in an awkward limo state as the metagame saw so much HO. Balance has begun to develop and Gliscor is an amazing Pokemon on these teams; I expect it to continue to find itself within the top 15 Pokemon in the tier from this point onward.
  • :Kyurem: is still kind of broken, but it at least is not the easiest Pokemon to use and people are more focused on other things at the moment. Still very threatening with great natural bulk and a few awesome sets.
  • :Roaring Moon: is great and probably could be a few Pokemon higher, but instead it rounds out A+. I do find the consistency of priority and pressure as a limiting factor here, but overall Roaring Moon is great and a huge threat that hits hard with great speed.
RE: A Rank,
  • :Samurott-Hisui: is not a particularly good Pokemon on the surface, but the combination of Ceaseless Edge and Knock Off is assured disruption and progress. Encore is a great complimentary piece while Water STAB rounds things out nicely. Boots Samu, lead Samu, and Scarf Samu are all solid. Yes, it's frail. Yes, it's slower. No, I do not care -- Samu-H is a top 20 Pokemon for sure and it impacts building more than people think.
  • :Gouging Fire: is A, not S or A+. It was probably never S, but it was firmly A+ a couple weeks ago. Since then, people have shifted to cover Breaking Swipes and I am now waiting for Booster Energy offensive sets to pop next. Until we hit this point in the ungodly cycle of SV OU, it is actually a little inconsistent. High ceiling for sure and at least it covers Rillaboom, Cinderace, Scizor, etc. while being good at forcing opposing tera use, but it hardly sweeps and it has seen better days overall.
  • :Glimmora: is arguably the best HO options. Toxic Spikes are so great, Sash/Balloon/RedCard are all superb, and it is no slouch offensively either, especially with the uptick in Meteor Beam variants. Super dynamic option that is a naturally good fit.
  • :Iron Valiant: is a dynamic attacker with good boosting sets on both end and generally solid offensive utility. Encore and Knock are great options to help it always be useful while SD has picked up a ton of steam these past few weeks and even CM is starting to surge now. Fairy typing is huge on offense and being a 4x Sucker Punch resist goes a long way, too.
  • :Raging Bolt: is arguably an A+ snub, too, but it is so strong. Perhaps a bit tera reliant with all of the Ground types running around right now, but Raging Bolt does a ton of damage, is naturally bulky, and has good priority. Immunities galore hold it back, but still one of the better Pokemon out there and many are higher on it than me I know.
  • :Cinderace: is a practical pick with Court Change and a surprising threat with Libero offensive sets, too. It rounds out my top 20, but I do think it lacks the sticking power some above Pokemon have as it is more reactionary without covering a ton on the teambuilding checklist I admit.
  • :Rillaboom: is the face of Terrain offense of course. It alone is a good Pokemon with U-turn and Knock Off or Swords Dance and High Horsepower to accompany boosted Grass moves. It is also a nice check to Ogerpon-Wellspring and able to beat down Waters or Garganacl.
  • :Iron Moth: is so good into offense; it is less reliant on Tera Blast than before and really has snowballing potential thanks to Fiery Dance. Soaking up Toxic Spikes while being super fast with Booster Energy carves out a huge, distinct niche for it on offense without Glimmora right now, too.
  • :Darkrai: has seen a bit of a surge with the AoA set and Trick Scarf being a good revenge killer while not being useless into fat thanks to Trick. Coverage allows for Darkrai to be very threatening, but it is harder to fit as it is not quite fast enough alone to be a primary revenge killer without Choice Scarf while it does not cover much defensively. I think it barely gets into A rank just because people are still exploring with it and I find it on new, cool teams regularly with sets like EB or NP3a or even Sash lead. I expect it to grow into this spot and potentially to even better places.
  • :Enamorus: rounds out the top 25, which is all I will write specifically on, and A rank. I am pretty low on it historically, but it is hard to swap into with SubCM being underrated, AoA being viable enough, and Scarf offering unique utility and role compression while being a Fairy type, which we have too few of right now.
The remaining sub-ranks can be seen in the image above. It gets hazy after B+ rank, but I did my best based off of my experiences.

That’s a surprisingly high Ursaluna placement. Do you think the metagame favors it highly at the moment?
Having toyed around with one of those Ursaluna + Mola teams for a bit... This mon can absolutely chain KO after KO in the right match-up. This mon is a trade king like its older brother, Bloodmoon, and a great Tera abuser as well to emergency check most things with its sheer bulk and power. Mola is basically the perfect teammate for this mon, bringing it in for free with its slow flip turn and passing it enormous Wishes. Most teams have very little that can consistently switch-in to tank the onslaught of Ursaluna, barring Skarm, Corv, and Maybe Balloon Ghold, all of which are destroyed by Fire Punch. Its mainly limited by Waterpon's prominence, since that's disrupting its friend, Almomola.

Absolutely superb write-up, I adore when people go all-in on their thoughts and really break down where they're putting stuff in the metagame, but I've got a super stupid nitpick I want to ask.

For Great Tusk, you name it as the rightfully best hazard remover available in the game right now, almost inarguably the best Spinner we've ever had. But in Iron Moth's 30th spot write-up, you say "keeping rocks off has never been harder". What's up? I feel like there's been a back-and-forth for the last 16 months of "Great Tusk is the best spinner we've ever had!" and "Yeah, but hazard removal has still never been worse."

Maybe getting a little off-track for the VR thread, I do still feel like conceptually Gholdengo is an extremely imbalanced presence, it shouldn't get all three of completely block hazard removal/have an excellent defensive profile between typing and BST/have reliable recovery. Is that just the difficulty of fitting Great Tusk on every team? Because as the #2 most viable Pokemon in the metagame I feel like any hazard-weak mons that don't already run Boots has their viability sharply increased if Great Tusk Spins that consistently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 6)