Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion [ UPDATE POST #1293]

Status
Not open for further replies.
suggesting to run priority to account for an edge case on that Pokemon is incredibly stupid.
zantaRay ty for using common sense in my absence lol

Because it would have caused him to win in this specific situation, and psychic terrain doesn't last forever. And - this is important - if the opponent uses a non +2 priority move, and you use Sucker Punch/Ice Shard, you still go first. So it's actually a safety net in case the opponent has a priority move and psychic terrain is gone.
He has a bad team. You don't have to defend using a bad team to the death. And more to the point - someone losing because their team is bad is not a reason for a mechanic to be banned.
I would get tired of being this wrong, personally.
You should also be aware of the company your keeping- as in, what kind of player is on your side in this argument.
It might be illuminating to take note of that.

Anyway- scarf shard would have done nothing- I'm gonna have to pull out old faithful on that hot take: L2P

The set, which you've known for days now, is scarf, would have no reason to run shard- especially on a psy terrain team lol

Crash, Crunch, Sacred, Spinner.

Spinner is there when I need 100% acc when cleaning.
Crash is there for damage and flinch.
-
I'm going to post the replay again because, how are you confused?

The team isn't perfect, (in fact, this was just a random team lol) but let's say it's the worst team you've ever seen.

Somehow, the worst team ever got into a position of scarf Chien vs Pult.

In actual mons, this is gg, unless sash Pult or some berry.

In Terra meta, it FORCED a 50/50

Not Ice Shard- not the team- not failing to predict.

I have collected a few other replays, this time of games I won, where I shouldn't have won.
Maybe that's where I should have started.
I don't use these forums much but it's my fault for assuming a few wrinkles on some pro-Terra brains.
Because now I realize, even if I post these games, smooth brains gonna come out and say my opponent should have XYZ.

When in reality, they didn't guess my terra, or I predicted them guessing my terra and didn't.

They didn't lose the game, they lost the 50/50, that decided the game

They lost the forced 50/50 created only in a Terra meta.

Moyashi
thank you for further illustrating the 50/50 issue- very well said.

SOME games can come down to 50/50s in past gens. Tera makes these scenarios much more common when considering pokemon with multiple viablw tera sets. This is further compounded by having to worry about multiple pokemon on a team being able to suddenly tera. Tera creates a risk of not just deciding to attack to prevent set up, but also guessing a tera type and if you get it wrong, potentially giving them set up or massive momentum in a way that is difficult to disrupt in this offensively inclined metagame.
If you don't know what a 50/50 is, which at this point I'm 100% sure you never will, then that's fine.

We can play "what if", and "woulda coulda shoulda"- we can Monday Morning quarterback any replay of a game.
But it doesn't matter.
It doesn't matter if it's two 1000 ELO using their favorite PU mons in OU.
It doesn't matter if it's the finals of OLT.
At some point in the battle, most likely, there will be a situation where someone has to GUESS.

Guessing is different from prediction, and basic gameplay.
Top players aren't really guessing, they're making informed decisions.
They're choosing the play that has the highest reward vs risk.

But if a player has a scarf Chien vs a Terra Dark Pult
That player has to GUESS which attack to choose.
AKA a 50/50

It's uncompetitive.

To boil this argument down any further, to try and simplify and stupid proof this any further, would reduce it to atoms lol

zantaRay
The set, which you've known for days now, is scarf, would have no reason to run shard- especially on a psy terrain team lol
At some point in the battle, most likely, there will be a situation where someone has to GUESS.
Yeah you have to guess every time you use a choiced Pokemon. It's kinda their downside.
You could have also made an informed prediction there and really the same applies to past generations. You never know if that setup mon has a lum berry, a weakness berry, life orb/lefties, or in some niche cases a focus sash.
And honestly then, in that situation, wouldn't ice spinner have won regardless? You're going to pull off two hits when scarfed unless there's some speed tier shenanigans going on. Speed tier guessing, also a famous 50/50 at times.

You should also be aware of the company your keeping- as in, what kind of player is on your side in this argument.
It might be illuminating to take note of that.
I haven’t been a part of this specific discussion, and I think the focus on one specific case is getting a little ridiculous, but I’d appreciate it if you didn’t casually insult every player who thinks Tera should stay. I think you’ll find that there are plenty of high ladder players (inc. Storm Zone and Mimikyu Stardust iirc) who believe Tera should stay in OU. It’s disingenuous to dismiss a whole side of the argument just because a few casual players make pointless comments (e.g Tera should stay cause it’s fun and I like it) that they’re not qualified to make.

Yeah you have to guess every time you use a choiced Pokemon. It's kinda their downside.
You could have also made an informed prediction there and really the same applies to past generations. You never know if that setup mon has a lum berry, a weakness berry, life orb/lefties, or in some niche cases a focus sash.
And honestly then, in that situation, wouldn't ice spinner have won regardless? You're going to pull off two hits when scarfed unless there's some speed tier shenanigans going on. Speed tier guessing, also a famous 50/50 at times.
This has nothing to do with choice lock.
This has nothing to do with items/abilities.
This was just an example.

We can keep going over the example if you'd like but, no, ice spinner was not the play.

As I've said at least 3 times now- once I scouted for sucker punch, I knew Pult was either band or dance.

Spinner on Ghost Terra was literally the worst option- it doesn't kill any of the common Pult Terra types.

And to say you never know, it's actually the opposite.
You usually do know.
LO and boots reveal themselves.
Weakness berries are niche and when they are it's usually very obvious such as colbur slowbro
Sash is negated by hazards, etc.

To put it this way- Terra is as if a mon could choose between holding a weakness berry or not.
Let's put it this way:
Two players, A and B player.
X attack is standard, Y is an imaginary move that OHKO's a mon holding a weakness berry
The A player can choose to click the button and hold the berry, and B player's X attack that would kill, no longer kills.
Thanks to the weakness berry, right?
But if A doesn't choose to click the button, B will kill with X attack.
And now, again, lets say Y attack is a move that kills a mon holding a weakness berry.
okay, with me so far?
With this hypothetical scenario?
To continue-
Even mid level players understand the following: "If I have this info, so do they."
So it comes down to: is A going to press the button, and hold the weakness berry?
They should, right?
But the opponent knows they should.
Why wouldn't A press the button?
Well if that's the case, player B should attack with Y.
However, player A knows they know.
So, wouldn't A's best play then, since player B is going to attack with Y, which does nothing to mons that don't have a berry, be to NOT press the button?
Oh, but player B knows they know as well- and so on
and so forth.
To the point where it's not an educated guess.
It's just a guess.
It's a coinflip
A 50% chance you guess how far the opponent is taking the "I know, they know" game.

Do you see how this is much different than taking an educated guess, as in "that sweeper probably has a Lum berry"?
Because, you see, they either do or they don't
They can't choose to hold the Lum berry or not.
They can't choose to hold a LO, or choose to change their ability.

It's not a 50/50 to choose whether Tran is flash fire or flame body when thinking about hitting it with a fire move.
You can deduce almost anything in mons.
And even if you do hit the Tran, and it is flash fire, well that's info for later, time to SD with Weav lol
But Terra is as if Tran could choose to be flame body later.

Even Z moves got to the point where it was very obvious which holder had the Z.
And even, when the holder is going to activate the Z.
Ok, so kart just SD in front of my Zap, it's going to Z giga impact, let me sack something.
That's deduction.

You can not reasonably deduce if your opponent is going to Terra.

The only other true 50/50 that arises in mons is again, Sucker Punch wars. (and King's Shield)
Everything else, you can reasonably predict, or over predict, but you're not totally in the dark.

Goddamn I really try not to make fun of people for dumb takes too much but you're making it so hard. "You're gonna get two hits regardless unless there's speed shenanigans." You mean like what happened? Where it used dd? And then outsped because it's dragapult? Given it's scarf chein pao, if you expect tera ghost, which you should, you click crunch to win there. He loses 100% of the time otherwise if it's DD, and given sucker punch, it was either DD or band.

Have you ever heard the phrase results oriented thinking? You're doing it constantly in this thread and you shouldn't. In every situation there is a play that is more likely to win you the game, and you should make it more often than not, and sometimes it will lose you the game anyway. And that's fine. That didn't make the play wrong. It was still right, you were just in the percentage of outcomes where you lost anyway. As you point out focus blast misses a lot. Should you not run focus blast on a Pokemon where focus blast beats it's checks? Depends on your team. But if you are running it, and that check switches in, you should click it. Yes 30% of the time you lose, but 70% of the time you win. This is a favourable decision to make.

Not to mention that literally none of what you said is true guessing. Lots of that information around items is revealed very quickly or possible to play around with imperfect information. You can know pokemon speed tiers. Like holy shit how is known quantifiable information a 50/50? Yes you can get screwed by a scarf you didn't scout or expect, or weird ev spreads, but that's is actually a case where you can tell people to just play better. Running an odd item also has a real cost for the opponent to use, unlike tera. This stuff is all information where your get gud style of advice is actually, to a degree, correct. Tera is not because it's use is on a turn by turn basis with no commitment.
Yknow what's funny is Tera Fairy would win the game against a scarf Pao 100% of the time, unless he gets an icicle crash flinch, because nothing Chien-Pao has would one shot. Fairy is honestly even arguably better than Dark because it means you can set up on so many dragons while still resisting Dark. Hell, honestly I'm not sure why you even would go Dark over Fairy. Bullet punch?
It going tera to cover its own weakness isn't a true guess either though. That's something that can be predicted, especially given that's his last Pokemon and he hasn't done it yet. It was pretty obvious he was going to click tera.
I'd argue you can look at his team comp and judge what tera type is most likely to be, the same way you can look at one and judge what coverage moves and speed investments are.

I haven’t been a part of this specific discussion, and I think the focus on one specific case is getting a little ridiculous, but I’d appreciate it if you didn’t casually insult every player who thinks Tera should stay. I think you’ll find that there are plenty of high ladder players (inc. Storm Zone and Mimikyu Stardust iirc) who believe Tera should stay in OU. It’s disingenuous to dismiss a whole side of the argument just because a few casual players make pointless comments (e.g Tera should stay cause it’s fun and I like it) that they’re not qualified to make.
Fair- I was mostly talking about 1 or 2 people in the thread who really don't know much.
However, most players who I regard as top players think Terra creates uncompetitive and unhealthy situations.
And, SZ has also said it should be banned post-Home.
Not sure on Mimi stance on post-home.

Now is a good time to say I'm not going to cry if we have a Terra suspect and it doesn't get banned right now.
Because this is a pretend meta.
After Home- as was the case with Gen 8- NO ONE is going to randomly play pre-home gen 9 meta lol.

Post-Home will introduce a lot of mons that WILL be OP with Terra.
We can either carve out half the tier, or keep the beloved Terra gimmick.

All I want to do is play without Terra, to avoid guessing games and goofy, uncompetitive situations.
But really, until Home drops.
This is all just a meme lol.
Most likely my last post in this thread, have a nice day everyone.

Fair- I was mostly talking about 1 or 2 people in the thread who really don't know much.
However, most players who I regard as top players think Terra creates uncompetitive and unhealthy situations.
And, SZ has also said it should be banned post-Home.
Not sure on Mimi stance on post-home.

Now is a good time to say I'm not going to cry if we have a Terra suspect and it doesn't get banned right now.
Because this is a pretend meta.
Yeah I can't say I understand calling this a pretend meta whatsoever. Literally every competitive game these days gets updates that change things, that doesn't mean the game before updates is pretend. Oops, new CSGO patch dropped, all the results from before are pretend! Don't worry, you lost the tournament, but it's just pretend. Things will change next patch.
You also really can't pick and choose your top players and say 'most of them think X'. I'm pretty sure it's very split and not one way or the other.

uncompetitive
AKA a 50/50
I hate seeing this word all over pro-ban posts, along with 50/50. For a refresher on what Uncompetitive means, check out my previous posts along with Adviata’s post.
Now, here’s the issue with the “every turn is a 50/50” argument. On paper, this argument is very strong and comparative to Sucker Punch, but in practice, it’s only gonna come up once or twice per game. Why? Once a mon has used Tera, it can’t un-Tera. If a mon doesn't Tera in front of a mon that threatens it, it’s more of a risk for the Tera user than the attacker. For the attacker, any damage is good damage. For the Tera user, it’s a huge risk. 50/50 is also just wrong in the fact that it’s one Tera per game, no Tera-backs. If you want to play the 50/50 when you have the potential to just win, you do you, but no self-respecting player is going to do that. Classic Roaring Moon vs Breloom example: if the Roaring Moon is Tera Flying, you Tera it. If it’s Tera Steel, why would you even. Breloom wants to use Bullet Seed or Spore no matter what here. Mach Punch only if you are in a position where you lose immediately to Tera Flying Moon, you hedge your bets and click Mach Punch.

I think we need to take a step back and look at the whole reason this thread exists. The goal is to determine whether Tera is uncompetitive, not if it has popular support or you personally like it or don’t like it. I will admit I am somewhat guilty of this myself, but I took a step back to look at the discussion in this way: Is Tera competitive or not. This should be the only question. Competitive means the better player wins more often than not. I personally currently defend Tera not because I particularly like the mechanic (in fact I thought it would be broken pre-release), but because this question of competitiveness has been answered. A Tera metagame, in essence, is a teambuilders meta. Battles are won or lost within the builder more than ever, and building is a skill that is going to be more and more required if Tera stays. Tera does not force 50/50s on every turn as highlighted a lot in previous posts that I might link here later in an edit.

The way I see it currently, people have opinions based off of personal biases and preference as opposed to whether they think the mechanic is competitive or not. I do not think a part of banning a mechanic (or really anything) is if it makes some pokemon stronger than usual. If this was a factor Z-moves would have been banned from Nat Dex long ago. On top of that, only a few pokemon see significant improvements (notably Dragapult, Dragonite, and maybe Annihilape?), and anything else is either broken with or without the mechanic or balanced with or without the mechanic. Were Z-moves banned or Torn-T and Pult? Coversely, was Baton Pass banned because it made Scolipede and Smeargle too strong, or was it banned for being uncompetitve?

In a Tera based meta, the better player arguably wins even more due to knowing how to build with Tera, knowing when to use it in battle, knowing when an opponent is going to use it, and making safer plays. The argument that unexpected Teras cause seemingly cheap wins can be true, yes, but they are typically matchup fishes which have existed for as long as pokemon have. If you are running Tera Fire Breloom, you better have a damn good reason for it. (I’ve run that set it’s pretty good, but needs Tera Blast so it can be matchup fishy, so not to be expected). If your team struggles with a specific threat and you want to beat it, that’s good teambuilding skill. In conclusion to this, Tera types outside of a norm will consistently be more matchup fishy than consistent, and therefor will be seen less at higher levels of play.

In conclusion to my (hopefully last) post here, I hope that you think about how competitiveness works with Tera, and this may swing people to support it. I would love to see the one-liners and attack posts stop, and for everyone to take a step back out of their bubble and look at what has happened in the 2 weeks now that Tera and SV as a whole have had that much time to develop. Opinions can be opinions, but I’d hate to see such a unique mechanic go to waste because of them.

Thanks for listening, y’all.:quagchamppogsire:
Tera also has a HUGE opportunity cost that most pro-ban advocates just gloss over since it doesn’t support their argument: you change your type. Now for all the people who are screaming at their computer or phone or whatever saying O CTEAMER YOU CAN CHANGE COUNTERS ON DEMAND ITS SO BROKEN I do ask, when do you want to use it? Tera Water Annihilape still takes damage from Moonblast on Iron Valiant and is now melted by Breloom, but it can more easily take attacks?

The other issue is the fact that when Tera is used, the guesswork stops, so realistically the guessing will happen maybe once or twice per game.

50/50 and uncompetitive are two different things. If they were the same thing, we would have a lot more things changed, like Choice items would be banned or Team Sheets would be required.

Tera isn’t an instant win button and requires thought in both the builder and in the battle to use, and how alien the mechanic is can dissuade some people. I personally so far have only played 1 game total where I feel as if I lost because solely of Tera, and it wasn’t even my opponents Tera. I turned my Iron Valiant into a Dark type to beat Gholdengo, but didn’t account for the opposing Breloom now being a huge threat into my team. Is that Tera, or was that my decision? The post-HOME era isn’t here yet, and shouldn’t be used as a basis for a ban, nor do I think that it will come with more than 1 pokemon broken by Tera specifically.

Finally, could we please stop the personal attacks? It’s getting really annoying and isn’t contributing to the discussion at all. You know who you are.

All in all this isn’t my favorite post, but I hope it addresses the problems at hand. I will likely do a follow-up post adressing HOME in more detail despite the fact that it doesn’t matter at the current moment.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Post-Home will introduce a lot of mons that WILL be OP with Terra.
We can either carve out half the tier, or keep the beloved Terra gimmick.
Hard agree, and this is one of my main issues with Tera. Here are some of the mons reportedly coming in Home that will likely be broken with it:
  • Landorus-Therian
  • Regieleki
  • Heatran
  • Hoopa-Unbound
  • Both Urshifus
  • Enamorus
  • Cresselia
  • Magearna and Spectrier if they drop from Ubers (please don’t)

All in all this isn’t my favorite post, but I hope it addresses the problems at hand. I will likely do a follow-up post adressing HOME in more detail despite the fact that it doesn’t matter at the current moment.
I've been feeling this reading the thread. Yes, being able to resist or no-sell a move can be very potent and the opponent cannot guarantee and has to predict if they will tera, but over the entire game this can happen a maximum of twice since each player can only do it once no take-backsies. If every mon could tera I'd 100% be pro ban because it gives every mon a get-out-of-jail-free card, but I do think having one type-change makes tera a tool to be used rather than just making the game an impossible mess. That doesn't mean it's not a powerful tool and thus should be banned for that reason (2x stab is a lot) - but that's entirely different from making the game an uncompetitive mess.

Hard agree, and this is one of my main issues with Tera. Here are some of the mons reportedly coming in Home that will likely be broken with it:
  • Landorus-Therian
  • Regieleki
  • Heatran
  • Hoopa-Unbound
  • Both Urshifus
  • Enamorus
  • Cresselia
I agree obviously with Regieleki, Hoopa-U will almost definitely be Uber as well now that it will have defensive utility, and Spectrier was already Uber before Tera so that's kinda a given. I really don't agree with the rest at all though. Most of those Pokemon are so good because of their typing, why would they benefit so much from changing it?
The dark Urshifu will probably be Uber again, but he already was, so who cares. Water Urshifu will probably be held in check again by Rocky Helmet/Iron Barbs/Rough Skin, and it does become more vulnerable when it sheds that Fighting type.
Cress is arguably held back by its type but even that aside it's really just obsoleted by modern walls. I don't think it would be any crazier than Garganacl.

• Landorus-Therian
  • Regieleki
  • Heatran
  • Hoopa-Unbound
  • Both Urshifus
  • Enamorus
  • Cresselia
I'm not an active contributor but isn't this basically theorymoning at this point? This discussion is in regards to tera and how it applies to the current meta with the current mons we have available to us right now, not mons that haven't been released yet (we also have no clue how a generational shift will affect them in terms of buffs/nerfs). There's no denying that tera will push some of the OU staples over the edge, but I don't see how that translates for a need to ban a whole mechanic right now.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I really don't agree with the rest at all though. Most of those Pokemon are so good because of their typing, why would they benefit so much from changing it?
It’s less to do with them always benefiting from it and more to do with them having extra options that force people to prepare for even more stuff than they already had to. Lando-T is versatile enough without being able to suddenly bust out a double-STAB Flying move or no-sell an Ice attack.

It’s less to do with them always benefiting from it and more to do with them having extra options that force people to prepare for even more stuff than they already had to. Lando-T is versatile enough without being able to suddenly bust out a double-STAB Flying move or no-sell an Ice attack.
Flyinium-Z Lando (using Fly) was already a thing, and while it was strong, it was pretty balanced overall. It also didn't require shedding the extremely good Ground typing it carries which massively increases its defensive utility. Yeah, you could use a double stab 80BP Flying move every turn, but that just doesn't seem worth losing what makes Landorus what it is, and it means a lot could still switch in and either wall it or threaten it out. If anything, Tornadus/Thunderus-I seem to benefit from that more.
Ice would be new to it outside the HP Ice meme but the drawback from making Landorus an Ice type sounds insanely larger than the surprise factor. You'd rather run HP Ice and that was already balanced.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Tera also has a HUGE opportunity cost that most pro-ban advocates just gloss over since it doesn’t support their argument: you change your type. Now for all the people who are screaming at their computer or phone or whatever saying O CTEAMER YOU CAN CHANGE COUNTERS ON DEMAND ITS SO BROKEN I do ask, when do you want to use it? Tera Water Annihilape still takes damage from Moonblast on Iron Valiant and is now melted by Breloom, but it can more easily take attacks?

The other issue is the fact that when Tera is used, the guesswork stops, so realistically the guessing will happen maybe once or twice per game.
Just gonna respond to the parts I disagree with.

The reason I gloss over the opportunity cost of tera is because it's not that big of a deal. Why? Because you get to DECIDE what weaknesses you have and WHEN you have them. If there is a breloom on the opposing side, then uuuuuh just don't tera water. If there is still a great tusk on the opposing side, then don't tera normal with your dnite. Literally just dd up, click Ice spinner a few times, and then AFTER great tusk is dead, then you can tera normal. Competent players will account for the new weaknesses that a tera will bring and will accordingly decide when to use their tera, and as a result, the drawbacks of changing your typing are often not a big problem.

For example, check out this replay where I hax'd #2 on the ladder. On turn 33, I decide to tera fairy with my ceruledge. Despite gaining a new weakness to steel (make it rain) and presumably being slower than gholdengo, you can see how that doesn't end up being a problem. And I knew it wouldn't! That's why I decided to tera when I did! I already had planned around my new weaknesses and it didn't end up mattering! That's usually how it goes!

To summarize, tera is incredibly flexible and you can greatly minimize the impact of your new weaknesses with proper planning and timing. The opportunity cost is not huge, it is small.

Second, you are correct that when tera is used by both players, the guesswork stops. However, you are wrong in saying that it will happen maybe once or twice per game. Any pokemon can tera at any time during the game, and as long as that potential is there, you have to account for the possibilities that tera can bring to any matchup, and thus the guesswork remains. You can see in the aforementioned replay that Tera was preserved till the lategame. Unless you have a clear designated tera mon, I find that most good players will hold off on using tera because the flexibility it provides and the guesswork it forces is very powerful lategame where flipping outcomes can matter the most (which is exactly what I did). Even when ayevon had CB pult, which is probably using tera blast+tera ghost and thus the "designated tera mon," they decided to preserve tera until it was too late. That was the judgement call of #2 on the ladder. As such, the fun continues for most of the game, not just one or two turns per game.

I'm not an active contributor but isn't this basically theorymoning at this point? This discussion is in regards to tera and how it applies to the current meta with the current mons we have available to us right now, not mons that haven't been released yet (we also have no clue how a generational shift will affect them in terms of buffs/nerfs). There's no denying that tera will push some of the OU staples over the edge, but I don't see how that translates for a need to ban a whole mechanic right now.
So if many players think that certain mons will be broken with tera when home is released, and we decide to ban tera, say, a year from now, what happens to all the bans that we've done up to that point? Maybe we've voted to ban dragonite and espathra and a few others because of how busted they are with tera, but now with tera banned, we have to retest them and see if the community thinks they should come back into the tier. It's possible for council to skip the fuss and just let everything the community voted to ban back into OU automatically (which sets a cool precedent), but either way we are creating extra work for ourselves by trying to preserve a mechanic that is obviously too broken for this tier to handle. If the addition of a few old pokemon is what it takes for people to realize that, I don't see why we should wait.

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Flyinium-Z Lando (using Fly) was already a thing, and while it was strong, it was pretty balanced overall. It also didn't require shedding the extremely good Ground typing it carries which massively increases its defensive utility. Yeah, you could use a double stab 80BP Flying move every turn, but that just doesn't seem worth losing what makes Landorus what it is, and it means a lot could still switch in and either wall it or threaten it out. If anything, Tornadus/Thunderus-I seem to benefit from that more.
Ice would be new to it outside the HP Ice meme but the drawback from making Landorus an Ice type sounds insanely larger than the surprise factor. You'd rather run HP Ice and that was already balanced.
Maybe I should have used a different example. I forgot how much people like to plug their ears and shut their eyes when Lando-T gets mentioned as ever being potentially problematic.

(inb4 three pages of discussion on Lando-T instead of Tera because neither side of the Lando debate is socially adjusted enough to know when to not start an argument)

Last edited:
I think some people advocating for a ban are hung up on the "guess" and "50/50" part of things - there have always been guesses and 50/50s in battling. Sometimes you've gotta figure out whether or not a thing is scarfed, whether or not it's gonna click a setup move or Sucker Punch or attack, etc. Tera doesn't add anything new in terms of informed guessing, it's just that right now, we're pretty bad at being informed and guessing with Tera. It's a new mechanic, and unless you've been grinding ladder 24/7, you probably don't have the competitive muscles to play around it as effortlessly and effectively as you would play around Sucker Punch. In past gens, when you see Bisharp, you know Sucker Punch might be coming. In this gen, when you see a pokemon, you need to start considering that a Tera might be coming. I don't think "it forces you to guess" is a good argument.

If you want to argue for a ban, the key issue as far as I'm concerned is that it is swingy, swingy situations happen often, and when they do, they are often unavoidable.
  • It is swingy - A good tera can turn a -1 into a +1 or vice versa. Other moves, items, etc. can achieve swings (surprise Choice Scarfs, resist berries, non-standard coverage moves), so the fact that tera causes swings doesn't make it unique. But it's worth pointing out that these other options have huge upfront tradeoffs, while the tradeoff for tera is delayed until after you use it.
  • Swingy situations happen often - every Pokemon can terastalize, and it can happen on every turn, every time, up until you use your tera. Any time you're relying on speed to KO something moderately healthy, a tera can swing that. Any time you're expecting to survive a hit with a low-moderate amount of HP, a tera can swing that. Any time you expect something to not have a coverage option to KO, tera + Tera Blast can swing that. This is not a phenomenon which crops up 1-2 turns a game, it's happening 5-10+ turns, and the more offensive a matchup is, the more it's going to happen.
  • Swingy situations are often unavoidable - It's often going to be incorrect to play around a possible tera. If you think your opponent is going to tera this turn to swing the outcome of the turn, how often are you going to have the right coverage move to punish that? What if you're wrong and they don't tera, or if they're a type other than the one you're expecting? A lot of times, the best avenue for playing around a tera is going to be to swap, punt all momentum, and be prepared to take a massive L if your opponent doesn't go for it. And then you may be faced with the exact same impossible situation the literal next turn. A lot of times, you may just need to be willing to accept that you can't avoid it, play into the potential swing, and accept that if it does happen, at least you don't need to play around it anymore. And if you think there's a low (but extant) chance your opponent is about to wreck your world with a specific tera, it's almost always going to be the right decision for you to disregard that possibility and hope it doesn't happen. If battles are being heavily swung by teras that would be too suboptimal to play around, that's going to be awful for the metagame.
That all said, I'm anti-ban (or in favor of types on team preview) for now. I think it'd be good to give people and the meta more time to mature and see if we can develop a mentality where it's expected to exist and can be more routinely played around. It really does some neat things, and it's worth giving an extended chance. I'd expect I'd still want to ban it eventually, but people are still figuring out sets and the meta is still developing, and I'd like to let that settle down a bit before making such a huge decision.

Last edited:
Now, here’s the issue with the “every turn is a 50/50” argument. On paper, this argument is very strong and comparative to Sucker Punch, but in practice, it’s only gonna come up once or twice per game.

My brother in Christ from Nazareth who died for all our sins on a cross in Golgotha, please realize what you're saying here lol
You are 100% agreeing Terra forces a 50/50 at least once per game.

As others pointed out- this could be the deciding factor in a game.
It often is in this extremely unforgiving meta.

Let me quote this user who goes over how it can decide the end game:

I find that most good players will hold off on using tera because the flexibility it provides and the guesswork it forces is very powerful lategame where flipping outcomes can matter the most.
Oh wait, that's you lol

That's literally my argument.

There are times, especially at a higher level, where games, entire matches where players struggled and fought turn by turn, where it comes down to a literal guess.

That is the definition of uncompetitive.

My brother in Christ from Nazareth who died for all our sins on a cross in Golgotha, please realize what you're saying here lol
You are 100% agreeing Terra forces a 50/50 at least once per game.

As others pointed out- this could be the deciding factor in a game.
It often is in this extremely unforgiving meta.

Let me quote this user who goes over how it can decide the end game:

Oh wait, that's you lol

That's literally my argument.

There are times, especially at a higher level, where games, entire matches where players struggled and fought turn by turn, where it comes down to a literal guess.

The game is full of 50/50s but you draw the line in some Tera type?

Like when u get destroyed by specs Chi Yu, Banded Dragapult or Bulk Up tusks bc u didnt know the set or item it had its perfectly fine. But when u think the opponent should die, but he can tera and changes types thats unfair? Bc u can also Tera so its not like a disadvantage, its strategy and teambuilding. If u accept the first you should also accept tera.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Like when u get destroyed by specs Chi Yu, Banded Dragapult or Bulk Up tusks bc u didnt know the set or item it had its perfectly fine. But when u think the opponent should die, but he can tera and changes types thats unfair? Bc u can also Tera so its not like a disadvantage, its strategy and teambuilding. If u accept the first you should also accept tera.
What people don’t get when we say that is that the Pokemon will be Band, Specs throughout the whole game but they can Tera and flip the switch at anytime. It takes up a moveslot/item slot whereas Terastilizing doesn’t (unless you count Tera Blast). The opportunity cost of equipping a Choice Scarf is not the same as changing your type.

I think some people advocating for a ban are hung up on the "guess" and "50/50" part of things - there have always been guesses and 50/50s in battling. Tera doesn't add anything new in terms of informed guessing, it's just that right now, we're pretty bad at being informed and guessing with Tera.
As I've pointed out, as the meta solidifies, and Terra types get more predictable, this actually makes the problem worse.
If you know the Roaring Moon is going to Terra flying, all that means is so does the Roaring player.
Do you click an Electric move, which doesn't do anything to Dragon?
Or do you click Fairy move- which Flying lives?

At a certain level of play, sure, click Electric move.
They're most likely Terra flying that turn.
However, when played at it's highest level, with let's say a tournament on the line...
It will not be that simple.
It WILL come down to head games.
It WILL come down to a pure 50/50.

Sometimes you've gotta figure out whether or not a thing is scarfed, whether or not it's gonna click a setup move or attack, etc.
I've went over ad nauseum at this point why those aren't 50/50's
They are part of your overall risk management and deduction skills.

The game is not nearly as prediction heavy as the average player would assume.

Are all Terra's pure 50/50's?
No.
Does a Terra 50/50 decide the battle?
Not always.
Are some Terras pure 50/50 and decide the battle?
Yes.

It's up to the player base if that's the meta they want to play in.

As a rule, Smogon tries to mitigate 50/50's because they are uncompetitive and unhealthy.

Let's say that, conservatively, 20% of your battles come down to a pure 50/50 Terra endgame/match deciding turn.
Is that cool with you, are you okay with losing based off guesswork?

I'm not even cool with 5% of the time, but that's just me.
Wolf-X said:
I'm not going over why Terra sometimes forces a pure, textbook 50/50 and other components of the game do not.
As I've said before, and especially now, there is no way I can simplify this further.
You either understand it or not. My bad.

But yeah, with that, I really am out of things to say lol.
BAN TERRA!

The reason I gloss over the opportunity cost of tera is because it's not that big of a deal. Why? Because you get to DECIDE what weaknesses you have and WHEN you have them. If there is a breloom on the opposing side, then uuuuuh just don't tera water. If there is still a great tusk on the opposing side, then don't tera normal with your dnite. Literally just dd up, click Ice spinner a few times, and then AFTER great tusk is dead, then you can tera normal. Competent players will account for the new weaknesses that a tera will bring and will accordingly decide when to use their tera, and as a result, the drawbacks of changing your typing are often not a big problem.

For example, check out this replay where I hax'd #2 on the ladder. On turn 33, I decide to tera fairy with my ceruledge. Despite gaining a new weakness to steel (make it rain) and presumably being slower than gholdengo, you can see how that doesn't end up being a problem. And I knew it wouldn't! That's why I decided to tera when I did! I already had planned around my new weaknesses and it didn't end up mattering! That's usually how it goes!
Thanks for supporting my argument, greatly appreciated :quagchamppogsire:

I do think this in all supports my argument since it shows how good planning and good Tera usage can combine allow the better player to win. Of course the defensive Tera didn’t have downsides here, since Gholdengo was going to die to Shadow Sneak anyway. This is what I mean by Tera adds depth to the gameplay.
Because you get to DECIDE what weaknesses you have and WHEN you have them.
Counterpoint: It is not in team preview but in the builder that you decide these things. No typing is perfect, and while some may fit some mons better than others, I don’t find many that are broken specifically by Tera itself.
Unless you have a clear designated tera mon, I find that most good players will hold off on using tera because the flexibility it provides and the guesswork it forces is very powerful lategame where flipping outcomes can matter the most (which is exactly what I did). Even when ayevon had CB pult, which is probably using tera blast+tera ghost and thus the "designated tera mon," they decided to preserve tera until it was too late. That was the judgement call of #2 on the ladder. As such, the fun continues for most of the game, not just one or two turns per game.
It was also the #2 on the ladder’s judgement to click Will-o-wisp and Raging Bull and stay in when they knew it was Flash Fire. Maybe they weren’t thinking clearly at the time? Offensive Tera is far easier to play against than defensive, but I really don’t find anything uncompetitive about this replay. I can see the mindgames being hard, but in practice if something doesn’t Tera immediately, it probably won’t in that situation.

Well, actually
Uncompetitive game aspects (or strategies) are those that take away autonomy (control of the game's events), take it out of the hand's of player's decisions--and do so to a degree that can be considered uncompetitive.
As a rule, Smogon tries to mitigate 50/50's because they are uncompetitive and unhealthy.
Where’s my Dynamic Punch and Inferno ban, those are textbook 50/50s

edit:
Let's say that, conservatively, 20% of your battles come down to a pure 50/50 Terra endgame/match deciding turn.
Is that cool with you, are you okay with losing based off guesswork?
I would have an issue with this if it actually happened. I have currently had one, or maybe two games that have come down to Tera guesswork, which is less than in gen 8 or Nat Dex where I lost games due to mispredicting the Scarf on Lele or Kartana.

Probably going to be the last reply I do for a while, and I especially appreciate Srn taking the time to read my post (even though it wasn’t that long) and respond to it. Two things. First, Tera is not the current issue. If it becomes an issue in the future, I may consider changing my stance, but currently it is competitive and healthy. Secondly, please read my past posts before responding. I don’t have all my thoughts helpfully organized in one post, but I do have multiple posts.

Ty for all of the support and discussion. Y’all are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)