The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't people like Moss? Dude is one of the most incredible players of all time. He might not be one of the all time greats but there might not ever be another player who can do what he could do in his prime. Calvin Johnson might be incredible but going up for a ball and coming down with it because you are simply more man than the defender will always be "Mossing" someone in my book.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People don't like Moss because he's a quitter and he's lazy. He's completely wasted his awesome talent by half assing it when the situation isn't perfect. He played poorly on purpose so the Raiders would trade him, and he takes a dive to avoid contact. He could have been a hall of famer, but his attitude prevented him from being the greatest ever.

People don't like Moss because he's a quitter and he's lazy. He's completely wasted his awesome talent by half assing it when the situation isn't perfect. He played poorly on purpose so the Raiders would trade him, and he takes a dive to avoid contact. He could have been a hall of famer, but his attitude prevented him from being the greatest ever.
His numbers are too good to keep him out of the hall.

Marvin Harrison did everything he could to avoid contact but I've never heard anyone question his character. Avoiding contact is just smart when you're a scrawny wide out.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not saying he won't make it, he'll be a first ballot HoF inductee. I just personally don't think he should because he's got a terrible attitude and work ethic. The avoiding contact part I can at least understand, but there's no excuse for playing poorly on purpose because you want to be traded off the "bad team" you're on. It's an insult to guys like Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson that give it everything they've got despite playing for bad teams their whole careers.

Also I like the sound of that, Kaiser WaterBömb

I never said you said he will not make it. I said your logic for why he should not make it is selfish and terrible. The hall of fame is about stories, it is about greatness. Troubled greatness and untroubled greatness both deserve recognition. The hall of fame is not a moral arbiter (except with steroids involved I guess sighhh)

I never said you said he will not make it. I said your logic for why he should not make it is selfish and terrible. The hall of fame is about stories, it is about greatness. Troubled greatness and untroubled greatness both deserve recognition. The hall of fame is not a moral arbiter (except with steroids involved I guess sighhh)
I completely agree, which is why baseball is pretty lameeeeee imo.

Randy Moss was undoubtedly a bit of a dick and he would've been "respected" more if he had pulled a Calvin Johnson/Adrian Peterson and played his hardest despite being part of a terrible franchise, but none of this really changes the fact that he's probably #1 all-time in terms of sheer natural talent. That deserves the honor of being in the Hall of Fame no matter what imo.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
You're absolutely correct, my reasons are selfish and terrible. I just dislike seeing people of questionable character like that being given glory and recognition. I guess I just care more about morals, which is why it's a good thing I'm not a HoF judge!

EDIT: Mike Tyson, Patrick Warburton and Rob Riggle hahahahaha. Love those guys!

Right, so you can make a big stink all you want. I can make a big stink back. I despise seeing people comment on others character based on morals, especially when it is irrelevant. It is just petty self-importance. Randy being Manny is fun, funny, interesting to watch. Just being amazingly dominant with no character issues would also be fun to watch. And in both cases, the sum total of his career's work is hall of fame level. This is not the god's best pals hall of fame.

I do not think he is going to be a first ballot hall of famer or anything close. For some reason (maybe because of the internet era of hypercriticism? maybe because of the steroid era and hoping for more time to find out sordid details?) hall of fames seemed to have really turned into gigantic pussies about being willing to usher people in anymore :(

Phoenix, I am pretty sure Pete Rose was the biggest thing Xephyr was alluding to, but I could be wrong.

This happens all the time. Start hot and cool down. Lets just hope they can pull a comeback at the end.

Also, the 49ers remind me of the Jets. A coach taking advantage of a team built by somebody else. We will see how long they can keep up. This might be their last chance at a SB too since only teams with really good QBs are contenders every year.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Inclined to agree with some hero here. Atlanta went up 20-0 last week and then very nearly (and should have) lost. 49ers just had a sustained drive as well to give them some confidence, so I think the rest of the game will be more balanced than that first quarter was. Glad I started Julio in the fantasy challenge though :)

Vernon Davis just got face masked on the way to a huge catch, while the only penalty called was on holding on 49ers. This is why I say luck decides so many games, as much as it sucks to have to discuss :/

Inclined to agree with some hero here. Atlanta went up 20-0 last week and then very nearly (and should have) lost. 49ers just had a sustained drive as well to give them some confidence, so I think the rest of the game will be more balanced than that first quarter was. Glad I started Julio in the fantasy challenge though :)
Wasn't implying it was gonna be easy, but 5 point underdogs at home basically means the entire country wasn't giving us much of a chance.

I'd like to see the Falcons at least attempt to cover Vernon Davis though... just like last week with Zach Miller, except Davis is actually a great athlete.

Phoenix, I am pretty sure Pete Rose was the biggest thing Xephyr was alluding to, but I could be wrong.
Cincinnati Reds fan here, so you hit the nail right on the head.

I'm a little shocked at how the 49ers are just bending over and letting Matt Ryan go to town almost every drive. Most of these throws Ryan is making aren't even difficult, it's the Secondary is making big mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)