Move Z-Move Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Z-Freeze Shock Kyurem-B is the messiah. This thing is so disgustingly strong I love it.

Also someone (I think it was Ash Borer, but don't quote me on that as I honestly can't remember) sent me a fire team with this set on it, and it is really good:

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Now bare with me while I explain what makes this set so threatening. By running Focus Blast over Aura Sphere, you sacrifice accuracy for sheer power, and the effect is that you just completely nuke stuff; it nets some KOs although I can't remember what they actually are, but they are useful ones. However, what really makes this set is Fairium Z with Fleur Cannon. Fleur Cannon becomes a 195 BP Twinkle Tackle (this is a synonym for "nuke") which can be used to not only easily activate Soul Heart, but what makes it as good as it is comes from the fact that you can KO something, get the boost without the drops, KO something else with Fleur Cannon and then still be at +0 to fire off a third. It is really, really devistating in general and I strongly urge everyone to give the set a try.

Has anyone suggested or thought about Z-Yawn? It gives a +1 speed boost and it could be fun on a bulky Pokemon that needs some added speed. Stuff like Kingdra, Komala, Vaporeon, Flareon, Sylveon etc come to mind. You switch into something that you can check or threaten. They switch and you use Z-Yawn. Now they have a choice: try and OHKO you and have their pokemon fall asleep, or switch out again. Almost always you gain a free turn of set up, and you would go for Dragon Dance with Kingdra for example. Now you're fast and have the momentum.

To prove this isn't just a silly theory, I tested it with something very unlikely; Flareon. You Z-Yawn, then go with Work Up or Wisp on the switch. Then put dents in things.

Flareon @ Normalium Z
Flash Fire
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Yawn
- Flare Blitz
- Last Resort
- Work Up / Will-O-Wisp

I realise this is a super gimmicky set, but my opponents had NO idea how to play around it and it was fun to watch. It was 2HKO things with RESISTED Last Resorts. You'd probably use Superpower instead though as Last Resort forces you to use Flare Blitz at least once and it results in Flareon not surviving that long. But it did show that Z-Yawn is a thing. I've tested it with Vaporeon as well which is bulkier and works even better.

Interesting to see how the Z-status moves ended up being the ones that seem to be the most relevant out of all of them. To be honest, using an item to have the ability to pack a giant one-time nuke seems really good on paper but in practice there aren't a lot of monsters that really want to give up Choice items or Life Orbs or whatever to do it. On top of that, you have to run some pretty suboptimal moves in order to get the most out of the Z-move which hinders attackers who already gave up a good bit of power to get it. You have to run suboptimal moves to get good Z-status moves as well but some of them are just so good that it's worth it.
I think it's pretty easy to compare something like Porygon-Z with Z-Conversion to a discount Xerneas with White Herb, which is decent but really predictable.
But what Z-attacking moves are even worth it? The only one I really think I have seen that I feel is really worth its salt is Z-Icinium on Kyurem-B with Freeze Shock, since Kyurem-B's attack is bonkers and it doesn't really mind losing an attack slot anyway since its movepool is so limited.
The other one that interests me is Celesteela with Firium-Z and Fire Blast, since it hits opposing Celesteela pretty hard but it isn't even enough to OHKO consistently with rocks up.

Z-Freeze Shock Kyurem-B is the messiah. This thing is so disgustingly strong I love it.

Also someone (I think it was Ash Borer, but don't quote me on that as I honestly can't remember) sent me a fire team with this set on it, and it is really good:

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Now bare with me while I explain what makes this set so threatening. By running Focus Blast over Aura Sphere, you sacrifice accuracy for sheer power, and the effect is that you just completely nuke stuff; it nets some KOs although I can't remember what they actually are, but they are useful ones. However, what really makes this set is Fairium Z with Fleur Cannon. Fleur Cannon becomes a 195 BP Twinkle Tackle (this is a synonym for "nuke") which can be used to not only easily activate Soul Heart, but what makes it as good as it is comes from the fact that you can KO something, get the boost without the drops, KO something else with Fleur Cannon and then still be at +0 to fire off a third. It is really, really devistating in general and I strongly urge everyone to give the set a try.
Interesting set for sure, and the ability to drop Fluer Cannons on increasingly inefficient answers is sexy as hell. Initially I was concerned about the lack of Steel STAB on Magearna but Twinkle Tackle OHKOs Bulu and Lele and Flash Cannon is only a 2HKO on them. Even if you don't get them with the Z-Move they also die to a +1 Fleur Cannon. I think it is a little optimistic to think that you are consistently going to be getting that second kill though unless you've already softened up the opposing team, and by then do you really even need to be worried? Interesting to see a set that can sort of shift gears between wallbreaking and late game cleaning up. Great if your opponent has one last wall you need to muscle past in order to bring it home.

Jynx@Normalium-Z
Ability: Dry Skin
Evs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Lovely Kiss
-Nasty Plot
-Ice Beam
-Substitute/ Psyshock

Pretty simple: Z-Lovely Kiss gives you +1 speed and puts your opponent to sleep (much more reliable than Z-Hypnosis... still not perfect though). From there, Nasty Plot and attack, or put a sub up and NP as much as needed until your enemy wakes up; put it to sleep again, repeat until attack is necessary, or just attack after a NP.

If used in OU Tapu Lele is absolutely necessary since Jynx dies from any decently strong priority attack. On lower tiers it can be even more useful.

I know Bloom Doom Tran is pretty well established by now, but I feel it's important to emphasize just how useful it is, because in such a Steel and Fairy heavy meta, offensive Tran is very threatening to a lot of teams.
Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

Come in on one of the many bulky Steels running around in this meta and this set lets you put a dent in most anything that's not a Flying/Levitating Fire type. Offensive Fire types are really valuable in this meta, especially ones with the coverage to take out bulky waters. For a mon who switches in as easily as Heatran, this set is pretty tough to switch into.

Has anyone suggested or thought about Z-Yawn? It gives a +1 speed boost and it could be fun on a bulky Pokemon that needs some added speed. Stuff like Kingdra, Komala, Vaporeon, Flareon, Sylveon etc come to mind. You switch into something that you can check or threaten. They switch and you use Z-Yawn. Now they have a choice: try and OHKO you and have their pokemon fall asleep, or switch out again. Almost always you gain a free turn of set up, and you would go for Dragon Dance with Kingdra for example. Now you're fast and have the momentum.
It's a shame not that many pokemon who learn Z-Yawn could really make that good use of it. It should be noted that Darmanitan gets it. I could see it potentially working on Hyper Offense. Even if it does get OHKOed while trying to set up, the sleep status will create another opportunity for another sweeper to come in and set up.

Darmanitan @ Normalium Z
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
-Yawn
-Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake/Belly Drum/Work Up

Fire Punch is only ideal if you're using Belly Drum for your last slot.

HO isn't really my thing, but maybe I'll mess with this one day.

Last edited:
I reached zweilous in my competitive living dex and I just realized attacking Z moves don't miss... which means you can abuse hustle with it!

This is for lower tiers maybe NU
Zweilous @Dragonium Z/ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
Hustle
252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Head Smash
-Fire Fang

Devastating Drake is 190 BP. More than a CB Outrage. It never misses. It doesn't lock. Something will die. It has the 3rd strongest physical devastating drake (behind M-Ray and Kyu-B [also behind rivalry haxorus but that doesn't count cause that ability isn't active all the time and it's obsolete]).

You could also opt for continental crush to heavily dent defensive clefairy or fairies in general cause head smash is his best option but has atrocious accuracy. Crunch for safe stab, and fire fang tries to deal with steels. Would have been superpower if I got a good iv deino in oras first.

Now what if you give a Z move to the most relevant hustle user Durant?

Last edited:
Hoopa can be super interesting with the z crystals. It dual offensive stabs and stats make it already threatening without them, but its interesting moveset allows for this creative spread.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Hyperspace Fury
- Trick
- Gunk Shot

Z-Trick boosts the user's speed by 2 (doesn't switch the item, not the point). However, the beauty of this set is, like manaphy, it can be a wallbreaker too, with a powerful psychium Z powered zen headbutt to nuke stall or guarantee a kill with perfect accuracy. This really only lacks ground coverage for threats like alolan muk and Ttar, so Duggy may be a fantastic partner. Aside from those mons tho, I'm not sure if there is a truly safe switch-in, when you combine the fact that this set can similarly be run...

Hoopa-Unbound @ Psychium Z
Ability: Magician
Modest/Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast

EDIT: Z-Snatch is also an option on this set, as it does the same as trick with the proper crystal, which could arguably be better given the spammability of dark OP moves, its higher BP z move on the physical side, and the rare nifty chance to steal a status move, so its not completely useless like trick is. Either work though and add to the unpredictability.

Of course, Hoopa may very well be Uber soon enough so run this while you can, but here is a similar mold for another now speedy wallbreaker, Crawdaunt.

Crawdaunt @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off/Crunch
- Switcheroo
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Not sure if Z knock off or Z crunch hit harder but regardless they both hit like nukes with adamant and adaptability. Crawdaunt can also pull off a mini sweep since it can bluff a band and cause a switch into a sac, which it regularly does, and effectively sweep offensive teams.

Medicham @ Psychium Z
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Similar idea, though likely suited for lower tiers. Fake out for initial utility, z zen headbutt has no switchins except spiritomb i guess. The psychium/darkium z concept could also work for other bulky tanks like chandelure and togekiss, but the lack of stab limits its viability. Thoughts?

EDIT: With z-snatch, pangoro, krookodile, bisharp and maybe knock off diggersby become options, though not quite as potent as crawdaunt.

Last edited:
Has anyone thought about Z-Celebrate Espeon? Z-Celebrate is another +1 all move, and with +1 in each stat Stored Power becomes base 120 BP. Something like:

Espeon @ Normalium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / HP Fire / Psyshock

Not sure exactly what the best coverage would be, but Dazzling Gleam currently seems good to hit the likes of Mega Sableye, and the last option covers all the other basics. Modest +1 Spe pretty much outspeeds anything on the tier that isn't also at the +1, even Pheromosa. The added advantage here is that Magic Bounce means that nothing can ruin your day apart from attacks or secondary status. A trollier option would be:

Espeon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Celebrate
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun / Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

Celebrate gets the ball rolling, giving you +1 in every stat, with the EVs designed to give you a speed tier that just beats Pheromosa at the +1 and maximises on physical bulk. Then, you start ratcheting up your SpAtk and SpDef with Calm Mind, making you unbreakable in terms of SpDef and have sky high SpAtk while simultaneously increasing Stored Power damage. Morning Sun allows you to heal off attack damage, while Dazzling Gleam provides good coverage if you think you can sweep without recovery.

Obviously if you're going mono-Psychic, something to handle Dark types is a necessity, but they aren't currently in abundance in the meta because of Lele. It's also best to set only when hard Psychic counters and checks are gone. It was a similar set to this that got Baton Pass banned, as with Magic Bounce there's not a great deal your opponent can do to stop you boosting. After Celebrate and two Calm Minds, Chansey becomes the 2HKO, so that's a good benchmark to aim for.

Has anyone thought about Z-Celebrate Espeon? Z-Celebrate is another +1 all move, and with +1 in each stat Stored Power becomes base 120 BP. Something like:

Espeon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Celebrate
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / HP Fire / Psyshock

Not sure exactly what the best coverage would be, but Dazzling Gleam currently seems good to hit the likes of Mega Sableye, and the last option covers all the other basics. Modest +1 Spe pretty much outspeeds anything on the tier that isn't also at the +1, even Pheromosa. The added advantage here is that Magic Bounce means that nothing can ruin your day apart from attacks or secondary status. A trollier option would be:

Espeon @ Normalium Z
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Celebrate
- Calm Mind
- Morning Sun / Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power

Celebrate gets the ball rolling, giving you +1 in every stat, with the EVs designed to give you a speed tier that just beats Pheromosa at the +1 and maximises on physical bulk. Then, you start ratcheting up your SpAtk and SpDef with Calm Mind, making you unbreakable in terms of SpDef and have sky high SpAtk while simultaneously increasing Stored Power damage. Morning Sun allows you to heal off attack damage, while Dazzling Gleam provides good coverage if you think you can sweep without recovery.

Obviously if you're going mono-Psychic, something to handle Dark types is a necessity, but they aren't currently in abundance in the meta because of Lele. It's also best to set only when hard Psychic counters and checks are gone. It was a similar set to this that got Baton Pass banned, as with Magic Bounce there's not a great deal your opponent can do to stop you boosting. After Celebrate and two Calm Minds, Chansey becomes the 2HKO, so that's a good benchmark to aim for.
Sorry to burst your bubble but... Celebrate Espeon can only have Synchronize, not Magic Bounce.

TERROR BIRD

Staraptor @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack / Protect

This Staraptor set is fun as hell on the ladder and it gets a lot of surprising kills. The beauty of Staraptor is Z-Mirror Move - it gives you +2 Attack, and then does the Z-Move equivalent of whatever your opponent used against you last. Switch in on an Earthquake? Z-Mirror Move next turn will become Z-Tectonic Rage - and you'll get the +2 before it hits, to boot. If Z-Mirror Move fails? You still get the +2 Attack and can tear some holes in things before you go down.

Use Z-Mirror Move Staraptor for wallbreaking or late-game cleaning, depending on your preference. Come in on an immunity (Ghost / Ground) or a resisted attack you can survive comfortably, and fire back the Z-equivalent at the start of the next turn. You can snag a lot of surprising kills that way, or you can at least dent things significantly enough to pick them off next turn. If you don't find room to get off the Z-Mirror Move, you can supercharge your Brave Bird instead for a one-time nuke that makes Staraptor significantly more versatile (and less gimmicky).

Factor in STAB and the +2 boost, and your Brave Birds are going to blow holes in anything without a Flying resistance (hitting 66.1 - 77.9% against physically bulky Toxapex!), meaning you'll dent switch-ins enough to put them in KO range, especially if you outspeed. +2 Close Combat prevents you from being walled by Steels, and gets the OHKO on Eviolite Chansey and revenge-killer Cloyster. +2 STAB Quick Attack takes a respectable chunk out of Scarfed revenge killers or other priority users that might be brought in to end your sweep. Protect is slashed in addition to Quick Attack for the help it gives you when setting up Z-Mirror Move; given Staraptor's relatively high speed, you can play more conservatively by scouting your opponent's move choice - making a decision to copy it at the start of the next turn with Z-Mirror Move if it's suitable enough to nab a kill.

Intimidate is preferred over Reckless because it lets you survive more reliably to set up Z-Mirror Move - allowing you to tank a Swords Dance Mimikyu's Play Rough if rocks are cleared from your side, for example.

EVs let you outspeed a couple of notable threats - 252 +Spe Genesect, 252 +Spe Hydreigon, and 252 +Spe Mimikyu, each of which you can KO with your other moves should they switch in to try to stop your sweep.

WARNING: These calcs are downright scary.

Intimidate + Normal/Flying typing lets you survive a hit from each of the noted moves and fire back the Z-Mirrored equivalent:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 520-612 (172.7 - 203.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Tyranitar: 578-680 (143.4 - 168.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 1120-1318 (264.1 - 310.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (100 - Bonemerang) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 380-448 (130.5 - 153.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Never-Ending Nightmare (160 - Shadow Bone) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 606-714 (208.2 - 245.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 792-932 (238.5 - 280.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp-Mega: 582-686 (163 - 192.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 342-403 (105.8 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Twinkle Tackle (175 - Play Rough) vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 433-510 (118.9 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Twinkle Tackle (175 - Play Rough) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mimikyu: 430-507 (171.3 - 201.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Notable +2 Brave Bird Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 124 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 656-774 (210.2 - 248%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 466-550 (165.8 - 195.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 279-328 (81.3 - 95.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 294-346 (113.5 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Mantine: 370-436 (98.9 - 116.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Gastrodon: 436-514 (102.3 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 201-237 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert-Mega: 250-295 (61.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 283-334 (66.9 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Reuniclus: 337-397 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 488-576 (135.9 - 160.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 728-860 (168.9 - 199.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 468-552 (116.4 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 469-553 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Notable +2 Close Combat Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 654-770 (101.8 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 470-554 (121.7 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 294-348 (121.9 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 Quick Attack Calcs for opposing priority users you outspeed:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 150-177 (41.2 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 150-177 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 82-97 (29.1 - 34.5%) -- 7% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 148-175 (56.7 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 Quick Attack Calcs for likely counters/checks that outspeed you:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Xurkitree: 163-193 (53 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 175-207 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 129-153 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nihilego: 111-131 (30.9 - 36.4%) -- 63.1% chance to 3HKO

Marowak-Alola is absolutely wrecked if it ever picks Shadow Bone or Bonemerang - Staraptor can switch in, get the free +2 revenge kill with Z-Mirror Move, and sweep until it kills itself with recoil or gets outsped and defeated. Burns are always something Staraptor has to look out for though.

Xurkitree is a pretty common revenge counter - but an opponent's misplay (clicking Tail Glow when they come in instead of Thunderbolt, thinking you're setup bait) leaves them KO'd by two turns of +2 Quick Attack. Worst case - you can still dent Xurk for over 50% with a +2 Quick Attack, making it easier for teammates to clean up.

Mimikyu sans Red Card can be checked if Staraptor switches into one of its Ghost moves; Intimidate knocks 1 off of its Swords Dance boost, which means Staraptor can pop its Disguise with an unboosted Brave Bird, tank the +1 Play Rough, and Z-Mirror Move on the second turn for the +2 Twinkle Tackle OHKO.

Countless scenarios make Z-Mirror Move Staraptor a fearsome check to major OU threats that your opponents likely won't see coming. Base 100 speed and ferocious Base 125 Attack make this Terror Bird a worthwhile use of your Z-slot.

Last edited:
TERROR BIRD

Staraptor @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mirror Move
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack / Protect

This Staraptor set is fun as hell on the ladder and it gets a lot of surprising kills. The beauty of Staraptor is Z-Mirror Move - it gives you +2 Attack, and then does the Z-Move equivalent of whatever your opponent used against you last. Switch in on an Earthquake? Z-Mirror Move next turn will become Z-Tectonic Rage - and you'll get the +2 before it hits, to boot. If Z-Mirror Move fails? You still get the +2 Attack and can tear some holes in things before you go down.

Use Z-Mirror Move Staraptor for wallbreaking or late-game cleaning, depending on your preference. Come in on an immunity (Ghost / Ground) or a resisted attack you can survive comfortably, and fire back the Z-equivalent at the start of the next turn. You can snag a lot of surprising kills that way, or you can at least dent things significantly enough to pick them off next turn. If you don't find room to get off the Z-Mirror Move, you can supercharge your Brave Bird instead for a one-time nuke that makes Staraptor significantly more versatile (and less gimmicky).

Factor in STAB and the +2 boost, and your Brave Birds are going to blow holes in anything without a Flying resistance (hitting 72.3 - 85.1% against physically bulky Toxapex!), meaning you'll dent switch-ins enough to put them in KO range, especially if you outspeed. +2 Close Combat prevents you from being walled by Steels, and gets the OHKO on Eviolite Chansey and revenge-killer Cloyster. +2 STAB Quick Attack takes a respectable chunk out of Scarfed revenge killers or other priority users that might be brought in to end your sweep. Protect is slashed in addition to Quick Attack for the help it gives you when setting up Z-Mirror Move; given Staraptor's relatively high speed, you can play more conservatively by scouting your opponent's move choice - making a decision to copy it at the start of the next turn with Z-Mirror Move if it's suitable enough to nab a kill.

Intimidate is preferred over Reckless because it lets you survive more reliably to set up Z-Mirror Move - allowing you to tank a Swords Dance Mimikyu's Play Rough if rocks are cleared from your side, for example.

EVs let you outspeed a couple of notable threats - 252 +Spe Genesect, 252 +Spe Hydreigon, and 252 +Spe Mimikyu, each of which you can KO with your other moves should they switch in to try to stop your sweep.

WARNING: These calcs are downright scary.

Intimidate + Normal/Flying typing lets you survive a hit from each of the noted moves and fire back the Z-Mirrored equivalent:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 520-612 (172.7 - 203.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 248 HP / 80+ Def Tyranitar: 578-680 (143.4 - 168.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (180 - Earthquake) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 1120-1318 (264.1 - 310.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Tectonic Rage (100 - Bonemerang) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 380-448 (130.5 - 153.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Never-Ending Nightmare (160 - Shadow Bone) vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 606-714 (208.2 - 245.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 792-932 (238.5 - 280.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp-Mega: 582-686 (163 - 192.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Devastating Drake (160 - Dragon Claw) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 342-403 (105.8 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Twinkle Tackle (175 - Play Rough) vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 433-510 (118.9 - 140.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Twinkle Tackle (175 - Play Rough) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mimikyu: 430-507 (171.3 - 201.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Notable +2 Brave Bird Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 124 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 656-774 (210.2 - 248%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 466-550 (165.8 - 195.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 279-328 (81.3 - 95.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 294-346 (113.5 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 240 Def Mantine: 370-436 (98.9 - 116.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 112 Def Gastrodon: 436-514 (102.3 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Toxapex: 220-259 (72.3 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 80+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 192-226 (48.7 - 57.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert-Mega: 250-295 (61.8 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Mandibuzz: 283-334 (66.9 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Reuniclus: 337-397 (79.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 232 HP / 180+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 488-576 (135.9 - 160.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 728-860 (168.9 - 199.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 244 HP / 216+ Def Tangrowth: 468-552 (116.4 - 137.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 469-553 (113.5 - 133.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Notable +2 Close Combat Calcs:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 654-770 (101.8 - 119.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 470-554 (121.7 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 294-348 (121.9 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 Quick Attack Calcs for opposing priority users you outspeed:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 92 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 150-177 (41.2 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 150-177 (41.5 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Lucario: 82-97 (29.1 - 34.5%) -- 7% chance to 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Breloom: 148-175 (56.7 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 Quick Attack Calcs for likely counters/checks that outspeed you:
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Xurkitree: 163-193 (53 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 175-207 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Weavile: 175-207 (62.2 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 129-153 (36.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252 Atk Staraptor Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Nihilego: 111-131 (30.9 - 36.4%) -- 63.1% chance to 3HKO

Marowak-Alola is absolutely wrecked if it ever picks Shadow Bone or Bonemerang - Staraptor can switch in, get the free +2 revenge kill with Z-Mirror Move, and sweep until it kills itself with recoil or gets outsped and defeated. Burns are always something Staraptor has to look out for though.

Xurkitree is a pretty common revenge counter - but an opponent's misplay (clicking Tail Glow when they come in instead of Thunderbolt, thinking you're setup bait) leaves them KO'd by two turns of +2 Quick Attack. Worst case - you can still dent Xurk for over 50% with a +2 Quick Attack, making it easier for teammates to clean up.

Mimikyu sans Red Card can be checked if Staraptor switches into one of its Ghost moves; Intimidate knocks 1 off of its Swords Dance boost, which means Staraptor can pop its Disguise with an unboosted Brave Bird, tank the +1 Play Rough, and Z-Mirror Move on the second turn for the +2 Twinkle Tackle OHKO.

Countless scenarios make Z-Mirror Move Staraptor a fearsome check to major OU threats that your opponents likely won't see coming. Base 100 speed and ferocious Base 125 Attack make this Terror Bird a worthwhile use of your Z-slot.
Man those calc are nuts. I'm gonna have to breed a Intimidate Staraptor now! I've been using the Z- Mirror Move Moxie Honchkrow, and it really puts in the work. I think it could possibly become a standard set for Honchkrow since once its gets rolling its extremely difficult to stop with sucker punch. Moxie is just icing on the cake. The main thing thats stops this set is of course the mind games that sucker punch brings, but what are you gonna do?

As much as I like seeing Staraptor finding some niche in OU...

... how is Staraptor supposed to Z-Mirror Move an Earthquake from Mega Metagross? Metagross is faster, so there's no way on Earth it's clicking on a move Staraptor is immune to...

Also, Salamence and Mega Garchomp are not exactly big things (though Salamence is worth taking into account for in UU assuming both get down there this gen).

The other cases are more reasonable, however.

... how is Staraptor supposed to Z-Mirror Move an Earthquake from Mega Metagross? Metagross is faster, so there's no way on Earth it's clicking on a move Staraptor is immune to...

Also, Salamence and Mega Garchomp are not exactly big things (though Salamence is worth taking into account for in UU assuming both get down there this gen).

With web support it can be possible. I think the calcs that are really impressive are those concerning excadrill, and marowak as those are relevant threats that staraptor can outspeed and ohko.

Max speed Jolly Staraptor hits 328 speed - max speed Adamant Mega Metagross hits 319, so it's conceivable that you can outspeed.

It's also possible that a faster Mega Metagross user might think you're using Staraptor to double-switch and might Earthquake again (predicting a switch-in to something that resists Thunder Punch or Meteor Mash - especially if you have an Electric immunity like A-Marowak in the back). It's niche for sure, but definitely not inconceivable - especially at high levels of play where double-switching is super common.

Making the point about KOing Mega Metagross was also intended to make the point that you handily outspeed and KO all non-Mega Metagross too. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Last edited:
Max speed Jolly Staraptor hits 328 speed - max speed Adamant Mega Metagross hits 319, so it's conceivable that you can outspeed.

It's also possible that a faster Mega Metagross user might think you're using Staraptor to double-switch and might Earthquake again (predicting a switch-in to something that resists Thunder Punch or Meteor Mash - especially if you have an Electric immunity like A-Marowak in the back). It's niche for sure, but definitely not inconceivable - especially at high levels of play where double-switching is super common.

Making the point about KOing Mega Metagross was also intended to make the point that you handily outspeed and KO all non-Mega Metagross too. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Tbh those calcs speak for themselves. I've tested that set and it does but in work. I've used a honchkrow set to similar effect and it puts the team on its back. I think Z-Mirror Move will become a standard set. The fact it can retaliate the foe with a buffed z- version of their attack, while receiving a +2 Atk is just nuts. I think once the meta settles these overlooked Z-moves will show their true power. Z mirror move honchkrow vanquishes souls with moxie sp.

Yeah, Z-Mirror Move is a really stupid attack. Swords Dance + Z-Move in the same turn is ridiculous, even if you get something mediocre like Z-Mirror Moving a special attack.

It's offset by the fact most of its users are not good, or don't have room for the move (or would rather carry a Mega Stone, for Pidgeot and Altaria).

But then, you find out the likes of Tapu Koko and Blaziken (not relevant here of course) learn the move...

... for that matter, BTW... what happens if you use Z-Mirror Move on a status move? Do you get the Z-status effect, or you just pull the status move? e.g. Does Z-Mirror Move on a Z-Splash give +5 Attack? (should test it once I get back home. The Fearow on Route 10 know Mirror Move so it's just a matter of catching one and finding a Magikarp)

Last edited:
Tbh those calcs speak for themselves. I've tested that set and it does but in work. I've used a honchkrow set to similar effect and it puts the team on its back.
Yeah, Z-Mirror Move is a really stupid attack. Swords Dance + Z-Move in the same turn is ridiculous, even if you get something mediocre like Z-Mirror Moving a special attack.

It's offset by the fact most of its users are not good, or don't have room for the move (or would rather carry a Mega Stone, for Pidgeot and Altaria).

But then, you find out the likes of Tapu Koko and Blaziken (not relevant here of course) learn the move...

... for that matter, BTW... what happens if you use Z-Mirror Move on a status move? Do you get the Z-status effect, or you just pull the status move? e.g. Does Z-Mirror Move on a Z-Splash give +5 Attack? (should test it once I get back home. The Fearow on Route 10 know Mirror Move so it's just a matter of catching one and finding a Magikarp)
Mirror Move will fail if the opponent doesn't attack. It operates just like normal mirror move. However, the +2 atk ensures that it wasn't a wasted turn, so that makes it worth IMHO. I believe the best users of Z- Mirror Move will be Fearow, Honckrow, and Staraptor as they don't have access to a good boosting move and they all have priority.

I will have to say that my timid Z-Hyperbeam Porygon-Z is pretty fantastic in the battle tree. It can easily 2 for 1 or even 3 for one right off the get go.

Step 1: frag whatever they lead with with Breakneck Blitz. Unless its a ghost tyranitar or a bulky steel type. It can 1-shot Lucarios though.
Step 2: A timid Porygon-Z can actually outspeed many battle tree pokemon and survive even strong unboosted neutral moves. (z-moves might be a stretch though) so 2 hit the second pokemon with Tri-Attack, Ice Beam, or Shadow Ball.
Step 3: HYPER BEEEEM! In the somewhat unlikely event that the enemy survives, feel assured in the fact that the A.I. is pretty bad at taking advantage of your down time.

Hypnosis Dream eater Gengars with focus sash are a very common and annoying threat, but I found out that switching into Tapu Koko and then volt-switching back to Porygon-Z shuts down these Gengars utterly. Their only non-sleep reliant move is shadow ball, which porygon is of course immune to. Bring in a bulky, physical attacking grass or fighting type to deal with tyranitars as their strength, special defense and normal resistance is quite threatening to Porygon-Z.

Granted fighting AI is quite a different deal than fighting humans, but regardless, in a 3v3 setup, Porybeam-Z's strong potential to wipe two out of three pokemon off the face of the earth without setup is not is not to be underestimated.

Apologies if this set is too gimmicky to post, it might have some success in lower tiers I just wanted to throw it out here since no one else has thought of it yet.

Drapion @ Normalium Z
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acupressure
- Night Slash
- Cross Poison
- Agility

Z-Acupressure gives a boost to critical hit ratio in addition to one random stat boost, so Night Slash and Cross Poison are always crits, which means they gain 1.5 power form Sniper. Sword Dance is an option over Agility to break down fat teams, but Drapion's low attack stat plus low base power moves means he struggles to OHKO walls even after setup. Basically a worse Critdra that takes a z-move, it's nowhere near viable in OU or UU.

So I decided to try fightinium-z on subpunch Buzzwole, but apparently Focus Punch is like the only attack that carries over it's effects from the regular move... Only one I can find, anyways.

Still occasionally viable, but losing your Z-move because you got hit is unfortunate. If you outspeed though, it gives you a massive hit since the negative priority is gone.

The Z-Mirror Move talk is interesting, it seems like a fun thing to play around with at least.

The newly buffed Dodrio(110 base atk/speed and Jump Kick) might also make decent use of it.

Something like Sub/Mirror Move/Brave Bird/Jump Kick

The Z-Mirror Move talk is interesting, it seems like a fun thing to play around with at least.

The newly buffed Dodrio(110 base atk/speed and Jump Kick) might also make decent use of it.

Something like Sub/Mirror Move/Brave Bird/Jump Kick
In my testing Dodrio was just actually better running SD. Dodrio is extremely frail. Whereas, Staraptor has intimidate no other boosting move and the same is said for Honchkrow. Dodrio "can" run it, but its been pretty ineffective. Dodrio is more effective just running sash with SD tbh. I ran a gimmick set of SD, Flail, Drill Peck, and HJK to decent effect. Stab Flail murders things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)