XY UU Research Week #10

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Kitten Note: Mazz has retired until further notice, and he's given me control over the Research Week series until further notice. I'm happy to offer this to you guys in UU, and I can't wait to see what you guys will come up with! Most of the same rules will apply as did when Mazz had control of this series, but I may be adding some more tweaks in the future. For now though, good luck with Research Week everyone =)

Welcome, UUers and all those looking for an excellent comp. 'mons experience! A fresh tier means a fresh installment of Research Group!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
  • While there are rewards and this is a competition, please keep in mind that this is called research week. This doesn't mean you need to use ridiculous, unviable sets, but try and contribute to the discussion rather than just ladder.
A few things to clarify:
  • Early period means the first three days of the research week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • Sign-ups close Sunday nights, so be sure to sign up before they close!
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a research week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Win five, and you get a nomination for a Community Contributor badge.
  • Do not post a ladder ranking. (read more about new scoring system below)

This Week's Research Pokemon:

Fletchinder | Porygon2 | Cobalion | Raikou | Gligar

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Prizes are currently being discussed with higher powers, so hang tight while I find something worth your guys' attention. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hub Hall of Fame (once it exists).

To close, I'm going to address some of the minor changes to this thread that will occur as a result of me leading the thread instead of Mazz. Primarily, I'm going to make an effort (as requested by Meru and some others) to make sure that the pokes included in every installment of Research Week cover a wide variety of playstyles.

I'm also going to set in stone the end times for sign-up and clarify the way this is scored. No sign-ups are allowed later than 12:00 A.M. (midnight) Sunday night GMT, and on every Thursday at 2:00 A.M. GMT I will personally look at the ladder and judge who has reached highest. Who wins will no longer be based on peaks or screenshots, but rather on the actual ladder at the time of the cut-off. This should dissuade laddercreeping and clogging up the thread with posts about getting 5 points higher than the other person (i totally did this like two weeks ago lol).

Moreover, I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.

Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. Remember that discussion can occur throughout the week.

KM

slayification
Hey everyone!

Just a friendly reminder to make sure to read all the changes for this week as opposed to last. Now that Mazz has passed this thread on to me, I'm making a couple of QOL changes that I want to make sure you guys are fully informed about. As one more barrier against people not reading the changes and being disqualified, I'm going to outline them really quick.

• The (5) Pokemon chosen each week will cover a wide variety of playstyles (e.g. stall, balanced, HO) so that everyone can participate regardless of what they're comfortable playing.
  • The sign-up period ends Sunday night at 12:00 A.M. GMT, and the end of each Research Week is on Thursday at 2:00 A.M. GMT.
  • Scores will be decided by my looking at the ladder at the exact time that the week ends. Not on peak. Not on screenies. Please, don't post ladder screenshots.
  • One discussion post is mandatory for everyone looking to participate in Research Week. Those who do not post, may not win.
GLHF everyone =)

This should dissuade laddercreeping and clogging up the thread with posts about getting 5 points higher than the other person (i totally did this like two weeks ago lol).
yea, i did that as well when i was like a point above bouff, lmao but anyhow onto the real business, also thank you for taking over this thread in Mazz's absence.

alt: Poor Poor Me
Poke: Raikou, Cobalion

going to try out two of these guys again like the last two times on the same team, hopefully it works out XD.

Alt: Silver Shamrock

Poke's: Raikou, Fletchinder

Like Bouffalant, I will try out SubCM Raikou. As for Fletchinder, I'll try out a stall breaker set (lack of Brave Bird/Flare Blitz really hurts it tho).

not sure I want to participate yet but I figured I'd share a Fletchinder set I've been using with you guys:
Fletchinder @ Eviolite
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Fly
- Will-O-Wisp
It can set up on a lot of physical attackers. Not the greatest setup sweeper ever, but what do you expect? Not having Brave Bird and Flare Blitz really hurts this bird.

Last edited:

KM

slayification
sign-ups are now closed as of 58 minutes ago

if you try and sign up after this post you have my deepest sympathy

wow im the only one whos actually made a description post step the fuck up faggits

Ok, so personally I think the best Raikou set in the current meta is SubCM with HP Grass and full HP investment. HP Grass is better than Ice due to all the water-ground types running around which is really annoying for it. Sure, HP Ice hits Dragons and shit but at +3 you're going to be fucking over a large portion of dragons anyway not named flygon. HP investment lets +1 Subs take a Moonblast, as well as Knock Off from Mew and Foul Play from Umbreon (i think?). s/o to badass for suggesting the spread, speed is gay

tbh, good partners for it are mainly shit that can set up spikes ( nigga rose is gay, use forry or lass), as well as shit that can lure in slowbro / enjoy having it gone. i have a multitude of teams with raik, but my favs are pink core + m-agg + lo iron tail hydrei + raik, as well as it being paired up with shit like crobat who can fuk over a lot of walls

tl;dr dont fuk with thurnis haley

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-125030168 nigga too scared of thurnis. will add more in a bit

KM

slayification
so bouffalant is the only person who made a description post

great job guys

congrats bouffalant i guess ;_; ? ?

:3

week 11 will be up tomorrow. i know you're all super excited

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)