Wobbufet Counter Discussion Thread

Instead of crying about how broken Wobbu is, why don't we talk about how we can possibly counter Wobu?

I think the only reason it seems so powerful is because we talk too much its strength and we really never looked at its weaknesses. Yes, if you play the cards right, Wobbu can be deadly but I'm sure there's always a way to beat it.

Anyways, I thought about this move called "Gastro Acid"

What it basically does is cancel a Pokemon's ability, like Shadow Tag, allowing you to run away from it.

Pokemons that can learn the move: Arbok, Victreebel, Shuckle, Swalot, and Cradily.

The best move-set I can come up with:

Cradily@Leftovers

Careful, 252 HP, 252 Sp.Def, 6 Atk

Moveset: -Rock Tomb
-Gastro Acid
-Recover
-Toxic

Predict a Wobbu switch[if you happen to know that he/she has one] and use Gastro Acid, or Rock Tomb to reduce Wobu's speed then use Gastro. If he counters, then use Toxic, and then you can just stall w/ Recover. This isn't overcentralizing because not only it can counter Wobu, it can mess up Pokemons w/ the abillity like, Immunity, Levitate, Sand Veil, Ice Body, etc etc.

Other stuff that can counter Wobu(?):
-U-turn
-Taunt
-Baton Pass
-Whirlwind/Roar
-Status (Toxic, Sleep, etc)
-Shed Shell
-Skill Swap(possibly?)

I hope this thread will not turn into a "NO U R WRONG, NOW LETS TALK ABOUT HOW WOBBU COUNTERS EVERY1" but instead, post things that can possibly counter Wobbu.

Didn't we already decide you can't counter something, when you cant switch a pokemon in on it.

End of discussion. hahahaha.

It's called sacrifice

but hmm.. now you're making me feel stupid for making this thread, lol

You even have the choice to scrifice though, its more of a, shit Wob just killed one of my poke now I can switch in _____. The besting to do is send in a Persian and switch items giving it a Choice Band or some shit.

And yeah, this thread is a little silly.

If you have to sacrifice something to Wobbuffet, it's already done something for it's team. Besides, there's nothing stopping it from leaving when you switch in this Cradily. Lucario could get into this for free, which would suck.

Anyways, unlike other trappers (dugtrio, magnezone) Wobbuffet is just too broken.

Dugtrio traps all grounded pokemon, but can't take ANY hit at all. It's also fairly offensively weak, and needs a Choice Band to hurt things. The fact that flyers can switch in an out makes it beatable.

Magnezone only traps one kind of pokemon; Steels. With only Electric moves, Flash Cannon and Hidden Power, it's not going to be ruining anything other than Skarmory or CBgross anytime soon. Once again, ONLY STEELS ARE TRAPPED. Anyone else is safe from this Pokemon.

Wobbuffet is a different story. It traps every pokemon in the game, and has Counter and Mirror coat to kill what it traps. Try and set up? It'll encore you and get in a pokemon for free, or kill you. Or, it can run Alice's tickle set and destroy you with TTar.

Wobbuffet is just way too good... end of discussion, and it can't be countered because you can't choose what you send into it.

@ Ambitions:

I agree with Persian. It can come in on revenge and then Trick and Bite to death with flinch hax to help.

Wobbuffet counter.

Heracross
Scizor
Yanmega
Gengar
Generic Dark/Ghost/Bug pokemon with a decent attack.

All of those "counter" Wob by your definition.

Ok people, there are some things that cannot be killed by wobbufet (spelled it wrong) All of these guys will force wobuffet to switch out.

Banette @ choice scarf
252 spe 252 HP/ATK/heck, soemone help me with the spread.
Adamant nature
Frisk/insomnia

Trick
Skill swap
Shadow claw
Wil-o-wisp

Ok, this dude makes an interesting "counter" that can't switch in. HOWEVER. If wobby shows it's face, it gets owned by any move. If it gets a scarf, it totally is useless. If it is insomnia, it totally sucks. If it gets shadow clawed... it hurts him bad. Plus, banette is immune to counter.

Spiritomb @ any set

Any moves
especially a status.

It is immune to counter and mirror coat. It can status, and hit for SE. Also, this dude has pressure. Encore uses up 2 PP.

Sabeleye @ any set,

same as tomb, but is worse and has recover.

Dusknoir @ leftovers
252 HP, 76 def 186 sp. def
careful nature

skill swap/pursuit
Wil-o-wisp
pain split/pursuit
shadow punch

Once again, immune to counter, can skill swap, ect.

Also, any dark type with a special move can force him out, or force it to encore. Most of these sets are gimmickey and semi-sucky, but they DO beat wobbufet.

Here is a list of skill swappers. Use one, unless wobby gets the boot.http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/skillswap.shtml

O_o Looks like I got sort of beat...

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wobbuffet cannot be countered because nothing can switch into it. The closest thing to a "counter" for Wobbuffet is a team full of Shed Shell/U-Turn/Baton Pass users.

It does not take hits well enough in Ubers. I say we put it, Garchomp and Deoxys S all in Limbo and keep them there, but not really my decision.

It does not take hits well enough in Ubers. I say we put it, Garchomp and Deoxys S all in Limbo and keep them there, but not really my decision.
Doesn't a Pokemon's performance in ubers have no bearing whatsoever on whether or not it's banned from OU?

Anything faster than Wobuffet with Taunt and an attack-boosting move can render it rather useless. Taunt the Encore, stat up until it decides to switch, then go for the OHKO if it doesn't, refreshing the Taunt when needed. Closest thing I've found to a "counter" that doesn't involve a Baton Bass/U-Turn chain. I'm sure it's possible to calculate what attack you need to OHKO with a given base power move after +6 (Sp.) Atk., but I'm far too lazy to figure it out.

Right, Ubers isn't really a tier, it's just where everything that gets banned is sent. It doesn't matter how they perform in Ubers, the point is they unbalance the metagame.

You can't counter motherfucking wobbuffet. Anything with a trapping ability automatically is considered uncounterable because things that would usually shut it down and/or wall it cannot switch in. The only way to be paired with wobb in you're favor is if you U Turn, Baton Pass, or switch as they switch into it.

It can't be countered, and because it has great defending capabilites, a movepool that wrecks 95 percent of OU sweepers, and the ability to give deadly sweepers like Lucario a free turn for set up, it should stay in Ubers. Plain and simple.

I'm afraid this discussion isn't going to unite the policy makers in one direction or another.

If you want Wobbuffet in Ubers so badly, the best solution is to USE it in all of your Shoddy battles. If the increased usage results in only, say, 40 Pokemon in OU, then that should prove it to be an overcentralizing figure and constitute a ban.

I wish I had the time to spare (and the suitable team) to help do this, myself.

Wobbuffet has no counters and neither does dugtrio. This topic is dumb, especially since I thought we invalidated the counters argument in the garchomp/lucario threads.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wobbuffet has no counters and neither does dugtrio. This topic is dumb, especially since I thought we invalidated the counters argument in the garchomp/lucario threads.
Garchomp and Lucario are counterable based on what set they're running. We all know Wobbuffet's set well ahead of time and still can't counter it.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just spam a lead Wobbuffet and forfeit after one turn. That should get its usage up.
Uhh, you do realize that the OU lists are taken from WEIGHTED usage lists right? If you continuously lose, then your battles are obviously going to count for less. That, and if you're actually taking time out of your life to spam a lead Wobbuffet just to get its usage number up, then I can't really imagine that your life is very exciting, and needs a hobby. I'm not saying that you do that, but if you do, then seriously, you need better stuff to do with your time. If you want to still play shoddybattle, then may I recommend doing full battles to add just a little spice, if at all possible?

LMAO! I'm loving the rage against wob. It's a refreshing change from the times when every thread was "garchomp is uber, sand viel is gay."

IMO, they both are gay and uncounterable. *Thinks of how I just lost my scarfchomp to a sub salac chomp because outrage missed and he got his sub up*

The only way to counter wob in all seriousness is to have a lead with either taunt, u-turn, or baton pass (which is pretty good on leads btw) and a sweeper with tuant like gyarados. Also, be willing to lose your walls to wob, rather than conserve them and let something set up *cough fuck you smeargle bellypass*

I really think wobb is a terrible lead. Why you ask? The most common leads usually have either taunt (gyarados), a status move (gengar), baton pass (ninjask), u-turn (azelf), or can hit hard enough to make wobba useless even if they die to counter (anything with a choice band/specs).

It's much better to save wobba as a wall breaker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)