Wide Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wide Guard: Other, Rock, PP:10, BP: --, Acc: --
Effect: It protects all its teamates from attacks for one turn. May fail if used in succession.
(Blocks only moves that hit your entire team.)

Learners - Swampert, Machamp, Kingler, Hitmonlee, Mr. Mime, Hitmontop, Regigigas, Throh, Carracosta, Conkeldurr, Alomomola, Mienshao, Mantine, Hariyama, Torterra, Bastiodon

This move may be slightly too gimmicky for competative play, but I certaintly find it interesting. Any thoughts?

The move could definitely see some use in Double or Triple battles. Using something as sturdy as Swampert to defend your partners could allow you to strike the most problematic pokemon on the opponent's team. Interesting.

I'm just referencing the Serebii data. According to the text, it's potentially protecting your partners but not yourself. If this is true, then I doubt it will force your partners to wait a turn whilst being protected, which raises all sorts of interesting ideas for setting up..

I'm just referencing the Serebii data. According to the text, it's potentially protecting your partners but not yourself. If this is true, then I doubt it will force your partners to wait a turn whilst being protected, which raises all sorts of interesting ideas for setting up..
Machamp + Trick Room would be very nice

I don't know much about doubles and have no idea how triples will work, but this move seems like it would be great with one or two other set up sweepers. It gives frailer mons a chance to boost up while the opponent can't touch them. The only problem would be if your opponent predicted it, but that gets into way to many head games.

Considering the validity of bulky waters already, often times foes might not see this coming. As you said, head games.

As far as I have understood this move, it protects from attacks that hit multiple targets (Surf, EQ, ...) but supposedly not against single-target attacks. I wonder, though, if this means it always fails in singles, or is it just another -tect there?

Wide Guard protects the user and its partners from moves that hit more than one target (Surf, EQ, Rock Slide) but not from single target moves. Wild Nageki use it all the time in wild double battles, and it protect it and a Fearow from my Hihidaruma's Rock Slide, but not from Shinporaa's Air Slash.

Wide Guard protects the user and its partners from moves that hit more than one target (Surf, EQ, Rock Slide) but not from single target moves. Wild Nageki use it all the time in wild double battles, and it protect it and a Fearow from my Hihidaruma's Rock Slide, but not from Shinporaa's Air Slash.

...Ah..

That severely limits it's usefulness..

Can the other Pokemon (Fearow) in the wild double battle attack?

I don't know if this is true or not, but Veekun has this entry for Wide Guard.

No Pokémon on the user's team can have its HP reduced below 1 until the end of this turn.

Is this true?

I like the possibles from this move. Wide Guard while the others pull off a set-up of sorts. Wide Guard + Fast Guard = Me Tarzan + You Jane.

Don't like the base speed for most of those that can use it. Especially because Smeargle is among the faster users of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)