ORAS PU What's In YOUR Fridge?

What's In Your Fridge.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! My name is Slowbroth, and this is my first RMT and I wanted to make a team around Rotom! Rotom-F has been in S rank for as long as I have been playing PU (so, not a super long time), and it's always been one of those mons that I feel is not as used as much as it should have regarding its viability. When I played Black and White a couple years ago, I never figured out how to get that Rotom and where to transform it. Luckily, with Showdown, I now get to use a threatening mon competitively that I once never knew how to get in game. Anyway, if you couldn't tell already, this team is built around Rotom Frost.

(Also, regarding the image, it suddenly dawned on me one day that ice cream cones come from fridges, so why wouldn't Vanilluxe come from Rotom-Frost? Makes perfect sense if you think about it! And, no, unfortunately the team doesn't include Vanilluxe :( )

THE TEAM

• I decided to make a balanced offensive team, because it is my best playstyle, as well as an effective playstyle during the PU metagame currently.
  • Rotom is, obviously, the star of the team, and not a mon that a lot of people actually build around so I decided to do so. SubWisp was the set I chose to run, as it pressures more passive and defensive teams. My team overall needed some speed, so the scarf set was chosen here over the SubWisp set.
  • Defensive Swanna was added to check Fighting types, namely Monferno and Machoke, and as a Defogger to get rid of hazards for Rotom.
  • Then I desperately needed an Electric check and Normal Check, and Tank Golem satisfies that perfectly, as well as adding much needed Rocks.
  • I was looking pretty weak to Grumpig at this point, so I added an Offensive Dusknoir for Pursuit trapping many Psychic types such as Kadabra, Mr. Mime and Grumpig that threaten Monferno's ability to sweep. It also is an effective check to Chatot.
  • Dusknoir and Monferno make a great core, so I added SD Sweeper Monferno as a win condition for the team.
  • I needed something else for water spam, and a general pivot for special attacks, so I went with SubBU Gogoat, which served as yet another win con.

An In Depth Look

Vanilluxe Inside! (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

The star of the team, Rotom-Frost! I decided to go with the SubWisp set, as I think it's better in the meta as of right now, beating or weakening many weak, passive defensive mons, and really can dictate how the opponent plays, especially if it sets up a Substitute. Rotom-F is a nuisance in general, and spreading burns is really useful for weakening opponents for the other members of the teams to sweep. Leftovers is mandatory for recovering health while Rotom sets up Subs. The Scarf set gives me the ability to outspeed mons such as Floatzel, Gorebyss at +2, and just general speed that the rest of the team lacks. Standard Max SpA and Max Speed makes Rotom fast and powerful. The rest go into Defense. Thunderbolt and Blizzard make for an excellent BoltBeam combo. Trick can cripple defensive mons such as non-Klutz Audino.

SwannaBe (Swanna) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

Dundies' Defensive Swanna was added as a partner to Rotom and as a defensive backbone of the team. Swanna checks Monferno and Machoke well, albeit Machoke not too convincingly as it cannot Roost reliably on opposing Machokes (although a lot of people seem to like to switch out their Machokes on Swanna instead of attacking it, and I don't blame them). 28 Speed + Timid outspeed Adamant Monfernos. The rest of the EVs are thrown in for bulk. Defog is mandatory for hazard control for this team, otherwise this team can get worn down incredibly easily. Roost for recovery, Scald for burns and uninvested Hurricane for nearly OHKOing defensive Tangela (lol). Water + Flying STAB is all Swanna needs in PU to be effective, thankfully, and it hits decently hard uninvested as well.

SoccerBall (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

This is a recent change. Golem used to be Stunfisk; however, but Golem is really a notch above Stunfisk thanks to its Rock typing to take on Normal Spam. Standard Tank Golem is a big component to this team, as it takes the rock, normal, electric and fire hits that the other two could not. It prevents Chatot from Boombursting through this team, and prevents Volt Switch momentum. Stealth Rock is added as a necessity, not as choice. Earthquake is mandatory STAB, Rock Blast over Stone Edge for accuracy and hitting through sashes reasons, and Toxic to hit Gourgeist and Tangela and others on the switch ins. EVs are standard, 248 HP and 240 SpD EVs increase Golem's special bulk, and rest in attack.

Dawnblanc (Dusknoir) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

Dusknoir adds a bit more offensive presence and even more bulk to the team. Its Ghost typing also can stop Normal Spam (can you sense a theme here that I'm scared of Normal Spam?) by anything not named Stoutland. Life Orb Dusknoir over Choice Band allows it to switch up moves and not be set up fodder after it has killed something if it is locked into a move. Shadow Sneak is STAB priority, although I've debated putting Sucker Punch as a replacement. Earthquake weakens Stunfisk and other Ground weak mons (EQ is the strongest move on the set), Ice Punch hits Altaria, mainly, and Pursuit is the icing on the cake, as weak Psychic type attackers that try to switch out lose a huge chunk of damage from it. Max Attack Adamant gives Dawnblanc the most power, 80 Speed creeps Gourgeist-XL by 2 pts. The rest of EVs went in HP.

FlaminMonkey (Monferno) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Monferno is amazing. This is the standard SD Sweeper Set, and it is so effective at cleaning teams. Although Monferno's speed is middling, it makes up for it with Mach. Iron Fist to boost Mach, of course. Eviolite for bulk when setting up or pivoting on weak attacks, Blitz for strong Fire STAB, and Combat for the best Fighting type move in PU (Okay, maybe DynamicPunch is better). Nuff said about Monferno. Again, Dusknoir weakens fast Psychic mons that threaten Monferno's sweep, so it's a great core here (credit to Shuckle, I believe).

Endangered (Gogoat) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 152 HP / 128 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide

Lastly, we have Gogoat, a hugely underrated Grass mon. It has a great ability to switch in to waters and electrics, and is just very bulky, once again. The 152 HP and 104 128 Def allows its Substitute to not be broken by Foul Play with Gourgeists that don't carry Leech Seed to manipulate Sap Sipper, although Gogoat does have a hard time beating Gourg if not already weakened. 228 SpDef highlights Gogoat's special bulk. And I forwent Milk Drink for Substitute because Substitute beats non Foul Play variants of Gourg, as well as making for a more effective late game sweeper. Thus, Sub Bulk Up sets up on weaker mons such as Prinplup, Audino w/o Encore, Lumineon when it's already behind a Sub, etc. It's also a fair pivot to Golems, although Stone Edge 2HKOs on the switch in. Rock Slide is chosen over EQ to hit Altaria, Jumpluff on the switch in, Vullaby, etc. Leftovers is mandatory for incremental recovery when subbing.

Threats
Eviolite Electabuzz - Once Gogoat is weakened, Electabuzz outspeeds everything and can has the proper coverage to hit this team hard. Its bulk helps against priority attacks such as Sneak and Mach and can easily Volt Switch out of unfavorable matchups.
CB Float - Again, outspeeds my entire team and can deal tremendous damage if Swanna is already weakened.
Bulky Grass + Articuno + Camerupt Combo - Articuno is tough to switch in to save Rotom-F, but if the opponent has a Camerupt as well, we're in for a relatively tough time.
CB Stoutland - If the opponent gets the prediction right, something can die with a hard Return, or Superpower.

Vanilluxe Inside! (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

SwannaBe (Swanna) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Hurricane

SoccerBall (Golem) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Toxic

Dawnblanc (Dusknoir) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit

FlaminMonkey (Monferno) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch

Endangered (Gogoat) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 152 HP / 128 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide

So, that's pretty much it. I hope you enjoyed reading my RMT and maybe even consider my team to use in the future! What's in YOUR fridge?

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Slowbroth, cool team

Defensively it pretty much covers everything necessary, but the biggest issue seems to be a lack of speed, as despite Dusknoir's and Monferno's priority, faster threats, especially set up sweepers pose as big threats (a notable one being SS Crustle). The best way around this without messing with your defensive synergy would be to make Rotom-F Choice Scarf as it outspeeds the more threatening set up sweepers to you, while also fast stuff like Floatzel. The team can function well still without the leftovers set as between Dusknoir and Monferno you screw bulkier teams over pretty well.

Next, I know you gave your reasons for using Substitute, but I really think Milk Drink on Gogoat would be better. Its survivability is very crucial in beating special water types like Floatzel and Simipour, but without reliable recovery it really struggles in doing so. Additionally, if you chose to keep Substitute, you could try a bit more physical bulk running 24 extra EVs (out of Spdef) to make it significantly less likely for Gourgeist to break your sub with foul play, and since Gogoat's Sdef is so high, it isn't very noticeable
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gogoat
Substitute --- Milk Drink
OR 152 HP / 128 Def / 228 SpD

Nice team and I hoped I helped!

Hi Slowbroth, cool team

Defensively it pretty much covers everything necessary, but the biggest issue seems to be a lack of speed, as despite Dusknoir's and Monferno's priority, faster threats, especially set up sweepers pose as big threats (a notable one being SS Crustle). The best way around this without messing with your defensive synergy would be to make Rotom-F Choice Scarf as it outspeeds the more threatening set up sweepers to you, while also fast stuff like Floatzel. The team can function well still without the leftovers set as between Dusknoir and Monferno you screw bulkier teams over pretty well.

Next, I know you gave your reasons for using Substitute, but I really think Milk Drink on Gogoat would be better. Its survivability is very crucial in beating special water types like Floatzel and Simipour, but without reliable recovery it really struggles in doing so. Additionally, if you chose to keep Substitute, you could try a bit more physical bulk running 24 extra EVs (out of Spdef) to make it significantly less likely for Gourgeist to break your sub with foul play, and since Gogoat's Sdef is so high, it isn't very noticeable
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gogoat
Substitute --- Milk Drink
OR 152 HP / 128 Def / 228 SpD

Nice team and I hoped I helped!
Thanks Anty! Will give your changes a shot. Agree with Rotom being scarf to mitigate my lack of speed, although I really dislike any electric type being choice locked. SubWisp just feels a lot more threatening and more difficult to play around. Thanks again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)