What video games would make for good series or movies?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm playing Breath of the Wild right now. Climbing the citadel walls of the Akkala tower while avoiding the spotlights of the guardian drones gave me a flashback to Sam and Frodo entering Mordor and climbing up to Mount Doom. It was an epic feeling and almost emotional. However the vastness of Hyrule would require a mini-series to be done justice.

Link's Awakening could also be good. It would be nice to see it portrayed with more depth and seriousness. The game had a serious storyline but it was hard to portray in a kid's game on such a limited device. Some stuff would be pretty gimmicky, like Bow Wow and Animal Village, so idk how it'd fare apart from a fantasy targeted toward kids and tweens, like Harry Potter started.

Cerberax

Dancing through life
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Echoing the Metroid crowd here, I can imagine the different "missions" or parts of each Metroid game being episodes in a TV series. Fusion leaps to mind in particular (as it's one of the very few Metroid games I've played lol) where traveling to each sector is very episodic in and of itself and the story is really good besides.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Chrono Trigger; it had one of the most compelling stories in all of videogaming, and was one of the first videogames to feature distinctly different multiple endings + New Game Plus, meaning the TV or Film Adaption would have a lot of material to work with. Also who wouldn't love Frog and Robo to play as anthropomorphic sidekick comic relief?

upload_2017-11-13_21-0-10.png
upload_2017-11-13_21-0-30.png

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would really love a Spyro one, given the plot that the "Legend of Spyro" trilogy has would make it an excellent series. They were planning to make a 3D movie about it at some point but sadly they dropped the project, it's really a shame.

Echoing the Metroid crowd here, I can imagine the different "missions" or parts of each Metroid game being episodes in a TV series. Fusion leaps to mind in particular (as it's one of the very few Metroid games I've played lol) where traveling to each sector is very episodic in and of itself and the story is really good besides.
Man I can only imagine SA-X in movie-like Graphics...the hype would make me shiver.

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Honestly, a film series based on popular character / class-driven fps' such as TF2 or even battlefront would be amazing to watch

Halo has plenty of material between the games, books like the Fall of Reach or Contact Harvest, or even events relativelely unexplored in general like the interplanetary wars that I definitely think could be made into a great sci fi blockbuster, and you can even have a potential trilogy or saga depending on the direction you decide to go in. It does have a tv series that is stuck in development hell though, and the other live action attempts have been less than stellar imo. Still, if done well, I see no reason Halo couldn’t be made into a badass movie.

Mass Effect can not only be adapted into a trilogy based on the games, but there is also plenty of lore like Halo that filmmakers can easily draw inspiration from.

Fallout would be awesome as a mini series that told various tales across the wasteland, perhaps in areas that we haven’t really been able to explore in the games yet.

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic would be fucking awesome, and can easily spin off into a larger franchise of movies.

While there has already been a shitty movie adapted from it, I do think an adaptation of the new Doom, made into a balls out, non stop action movie, think Mad Max Fury Road, could make for a fun as hell summer blockbuster.

Dead Space can be made into a great horror movie, either more action horror or traditional horror can work if pulled off correctly.

I’d love to see what could be done with the Dishonored license. The setting alone is filled with potential for a movie imo.

Halo has plenty of material between the games, books like the Fall of Reach or Contact Harvest, or even events relativelely unexplored in general like the interplanetary wars that I definitely think could be made into a great sci fi blockbuster, and you can even have a potential trilogy or saga depending on the direction you decide to go in. It does have a tv series that is stuck in development hell though, and the other live action attempts have been less than stellar imo. Still, if done well, I see no reason Halo couldn’t be made into a badass movie.

Mass Effect can not only be adapted into a trilogy based on the games, but there is also plenty of lore like Halo that filmmakers can easily draw inspiration from.

Fallout would be awesome as a mini series that told various tales across the wasteland, perhaps in areas that we haven’t really been able to explore in the games yet.

Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic would be fucking awesome, and can easily spin off into a larger franchise of movies.

While there has already been a shitty movie adapted from it, I do think an adaptation of the new Doom, made into a balls out, non stop action movie, think Mad Max Fury Road, could make for a fun as hell summer blockbuster.

Dead Space can be made into a great horror movie, either more action horror or traditional horror can work if pulled off correctly.

I’d love to see what could be done with the Dishonored license. The setting alone is filled with potential for a movie imo.
Neither KotOR game would make for a good movie adaptation.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
We have a serious lack of movies about the Eastern Front of ww2, especially considering its significance, impact, and potential for filmmaking. One not filled with Cold War-era propoganda (looking at you Enemy at the Gates) would be pretty nice too.

We have a serious lack of movies about the Eastern Front of ww2, especially considering its significance, impact, and potential for filmmaking. One not filled with Cold War-era propoganda (looking at you Enemy at the Gates) would be pretty nice too.
It's anime, but I found this film to be very compelling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_This_Corner_of_the_World_(film)

The production team went through a lot of effort to research the day to day life and talk to people connected with that place and time, and it shows.

To the people saying Metroid: I don't really agree. Metroid is a great series because it's all about interacting with the environment and exploration. It feels great to actually be Samus and in control of the flow of the game. Making a Metroid movie would remove that aspect of the games and would probably dull the experience. Perhaps a movie could be made out of a game like Other M, which was more about the story and less about exploration. However, it would still be out of place, similar to how Other M feels out of place with the other Metroid games.

I second Knights of the Old Republic

Drakengard/Nier would make a great series preferably animated. It has the potential with an already great cast/storyline

akaFila

butterscotch love
Bioshock as well as Dishonored would both do fantastic if handled properly in a film setting imo.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I know this is a stretch but I could totally see a really well animated (computer animated) Super Meat Boy movie. A very self aware exciting movie with a lot of smooth action and done by a team / director who puts a lot of focus into the world and the coloring within the world.

I could see it being short, simple, maybe even a Copypaste of the game's plot but in this exciting 3D/2D hybrid animation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)