Online Competition Weakness Cup [playable on Showdown!]

Sorry, that wasnt me. I have not seen a single Yanmega during the entire tournament.
She has faced a lot of the same people today.

Oddly if she lost in the first meeting she won in the second. If she won in the first meeting she lost the second time. Haha

She had a 1707 ranking with 2 battles to go and lost both to a 1789 rank and 1768 rank.

She lost more rating points for the losses than I though she would. The loss to the 1789 took her down 13 points to 1694. I imagine she will have a 1680ish rating when all is said and done.

By far her best finish.

My son when he played had a best finish of 7th in world ranking and 1st in USA.

Sadly my kids usually place higher than I do, but I do spend more time helping them build their team than I do working on mine. Haha

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
really disappointed I ended up being so ridiculously busy this weekend, I almost forgot about this completely until I saw people on discord talking about how much of a god awful time they were having (lol). I didn't enjoy trying this out on PS either but had a team of 5 planned that I was happy with, then slapped Ttar on as the 6th as I was locking my battle box. Only played 3 games for the prize but I like posting my teams here anyway so ....

So yeah like I said, super disappointed because I did put a slight amount of thought into my team which is hard for me as a complete idiot at doubles. But hey I went 3-0 so I'm chalking that up as a good result lol.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Finished like 1720ish so not too great again, but I thought my team was alot better this time around and this meta was just alot more haxy. I was like 1740 going into day 2 but I did poorly and kept fighting low rated opponents which lowered my rating. Again hoping that next comps meta will be better as I felt things like the lack of steels in this comp and lack of dragons in tiny tour really made them alot worse.

Team:
weakness cup.png

I liked the team alot besides having a decent amount of inaccurate moves it was pretty good. I would probably change Aerial Ace to Sky Drop on Aero which was just me being lazy.

My funky Dancer team. It was a funny mix, and the dance part died out in the latter parts of the tourney, but it was a really fun team. Might have broken 1800, but not sure. But was very close to.

EDIT:
An interesting BV from my run WHCW-WWWW-WWW8-4SUG.

Last edited:
weaknesscup.png

24-7, ended up low 1700's.

Love the direction GameFreak is going with these creative, novel metas; hated playing in this one. I know, I know, complaining about hax is tiresome and unproductive...but holy smokes, this tournament. I honestly felt the majority of my wins and losses were determined by misses, freezes and flinches. Here's one win and one loss that sum up my feelings about this mess of a meta:

B7PG-WWWW-WWW8-4TBX - wut...
NAKW-WWWW-WWW8-4TF9 - didn't play perfectly, but would it have mattered?

MVP as I mentioned earlier in the thread was definitely Dhelmise. Even without a TR setter he was tanky enough to live most dark moves and often wasn't focused at all, allowing for multiple heavy slam bops a game. Here's one last replay where he gets every kill while also being too fat to Sky Drop, god bless his rusty heart: ANWW-WWWW-WWW8-4TG8

Hoping next tourney is as unique an idea as this one, but also might try to design a team around 100% hit moves so I have a bit more fun...

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Finished around 1810 probably but should've stopped at my 1835+ peak
Weakness Cup Results (August 2017).jpg

Very happy with this team; never really felt like it had a negative match up. I really liked Tsareena in this and a lot people didn't seem to know it did at all :3. I enjoyed this meta a lot more than the tiny tourney which was :sobad: but I feel like it still had a lot of problems. Aerodactyl, Weavile, Greninja speed ties were all terrible and lost me a lot of matches that I would've won had I won the speed tie. The high usage of rock slide aero was also a big problem as far as haxy matches went.

Encore + Taunt on a TR setter with a match ended by Struggle is always fun to play. The comp is almost over. Good luck everyone on your rankings. Still waiting for the last Mega Stones on 9th August.
Basically when the next online comp is announced ? I'm also wondering what could be the next entry gifts with the end of mega stones period.

Encore + Taunt on a TR setter with a match ended by Struggle is always fun to play. The comp is almost over. Good luck everyone on your rankings. Still waiting for the last Mega Stones on 9th August.
Basically when the next online comp is announced ? I'm also wondering what could be the next entry gifts with the end of mega stones period.
Probably BP. EDIT: Or maybe an event exclusive berry.

The berry is a good idea because some are unreleased. There's no much unreleased items left. It could be also a mon with an exclusive move (like the Pikachu Cup in ORAS) or a mon of a SM character.

First online competition I've participated. Really fun format (albeit a little broken), IMO it was a dark grass fighting meta where Weavile and Aerodactyl were S tier.

Finished 17-2, didn't have much time today. Really wanted to use TR but the setters were really bad on this meta. Dhelmise and TTar were really great, my last slot was meh and Mamo didn't really do much. Aero/Weavile MVP leads 99% of the time

First online competition I've participated. Really fun format (albeit a little broken), IMO it was a dark grass fighting meta where Weavile and Aerodactyl were S tier.

Finished 17-2, didn't have much time today. Really wanted to use TR but the setters were really bad on this meta. Dhelmise and TTar were really great, my last slot was meh and Mamo didn't really do much. Aero/Weavile MVP leads 99% of the time
I went 25-15, I was 21-4 when I got Trick Room up.

I used Dazzling Bruxish to setup. The only thing I wish I had done is EV'd more towards speed for Bruxish. In TR he was still too fast and usually moved 3rd. I feel like if I had EV'd more towards speed he would have been able to help out more outside of TR and maybe get TR up in turn 2 or even 3.

He was actually surprisingly bulkier than I had thought he would be. Rindo Berry melted him from being OHKO'd most of the time, bar Bulu or an STAB Grass with terrain up.

My daughter used Weavile/Aerodactyl as her lead about 90% of the time. On day 3 she faced a few players multiple times, or maybe multiple accounts. So she changed up her lead expecting them to counter her normal lead.

yeah but all TR setters were weak to Dark (Chandy, Trevenant, Slowbro, Slowking) and offense leads (Weavile + Unnerve Aero) can shut those down very effectively with a combination of Fake Out/Knock Off + Taunt/Rock Slide/Sky Drop. Dhelmise still proved very good despite outside TR though. I used Heavy Slam over Gyro Ball to hit Bulu harder, only think Heavy Slam lost power was against TTar or Terrakion who get hit pretty hard by Power Whip anyway

Ended up 16-11 despite messing up significantly on my teambuilding with Terrakion and Whimsicott. I ended up not using Whimsicott at all except for one game I knew was going to be Trick Room and Encore ended up stalling him out a bit (still lost to Rock Slide hax). After being discouraged by going 1-5 initially, I managed to get a second wind today and won significantly more games. I would have played more but Saturday was not a good day for me.

I always led Weavile with Fake Out (except that one game against a Chandelure+Dhelmise lead) and the second slot was usually Greninja, though there were a few games that Terrakion was a better choice.

I honestly wish Whimsicott was Chandelure, and Yanmega was Aerodactyl. I only used Whimsicott once and my team had no real counter to Breloom, and Yanmega's job (Detecting then outspeeding everything) is done much better by Aero. I was only swept by Breloom once though and that was partly because of more Rock Slide hax, though that wasn't as bad as the Paralysis+Flinch hax I ran into from some Togekiss.

Greninja's Hydro Pump might have been better as Rock Slide. I got 0 use out of Psychic but Yanmega doesn't get much out of its coverage moves except Chandelure coverage with Shadow Ball. Dragon Dance was useless and should have been Low Kick. Sacred Sword not being Close Combat was never relevant.

I think that with a little more thought in my teambuilding, I could have done much better overall. I really just sucked a bunch of Mons from my gen VI games rather than taking a lot of time to breed and that gimped me a little bit.

edit: Also I'm hoping for a Surf Pikachu as a reward for the next comp because that will be extremely strong with Raichu-A.

yeah but all TR setters were weak to Dark (Chandy, Trevenant, Slowbro, Slowking) and offense leads (Weavile + Unnerve Aero) can shut those down very effectively with a combination of Fake Out/Knock Off + Taunt/Rock Slide/Sky Drop. Dhelmise still proved very good despite outside TR though. I used Heavy Slam over Gyro Ball to hit Bulu harder, only think Heavy Slam lost power was against TTar or Terrakion who get hit pretty hard by Power Whip anyway
I actually ran a Trick Room team myself, getting to around a 1750 ranking. I used Alolan Exeggutor as one of my setters (which isn't weak to Dark). I used Tangrowth to redirect attacks with Rage Powder and Oblivous Slowbro as one of the other TR setters to specifically avoid being hurt by Whimsicott's Taunt. With this kind of setup, I only really failed to set up TR around a couple of times.

For the next prize, I'm really hoping for the Custap Berry myself for certain strategies that I would like to run.

JES: If you replace Beat Up for Weavile, I would recommend Knock Off over Night Slash, as even unboosted Knock Off has about the same power as Night Slash. I'm not sure how easy for you it would be to get Knock Off, but if it is possible, I would recommend getting it.
Unfortunately, I was too busy to see your message until afterwards. I could have taught it Knock Off before transferring it.

I've seen Throat Chop run on some Weavile's too. 10 more base power than Night Slash, don't have to worry about targeting a pokemon that's already used berry/WP with Knock Off, and there's the unlikely chance that you prevent a mon from using Bug Buzz/Clanging Scales/Screech (lol)
A move that I unfortunately couldn't currently use with Low Kick.

Weaknesses that I noted during the tournament:

Breloom: Hard to kill due to Mach Punch, which most of my team was weak to. Also able to survive STAB Ice Beam or Icicle Crash. Combined with fast team members or something like Tailwind would often result in both team members going down before even Greninja and Weavile could lay a hand on Breloom. Breaks up Terracotta, so I never used that combo when I saw a Breloom.
Aerodactyl: Can outspeed most team members at times, and set up Tailwind.
Togekiss: Follow Me and Tail Wind shenanigans with the right support would usually add up to a win in the opponent's favor. The bulkier variants were harder to kill before they could score or cause a kill on Terrakion, Tyranitar, Whimiscott, Greninja, or Weavile.
Enemy Greninjas: When they speed tie, it was devastating. Most of my team was frail, and could only afford to take one or two hits. Defeating ones due to a change to Poison typing was difficult.

Still, I think I got around 1630, and might have gotten higher if not for work sucking up so much time. That's the highest I've been in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

bad gimmick, got rekt

barely made it to 1500 again iirc, but still had a blast. this is a rly wacky format, and it showed in the teams that were present. this reinvigorated my desire to play cartmons, and ill be back!!!

Very much enjoyed this tournament - any format that gives Crawdaunt the love he deserves gets my vote.

Went 11-4; 11-4; 10-5 for a final rating in the ~1730s. Went with a primarily hard Trick Room team, with Exeggutor and Chandelure setting up, supported by either Sky Drop Aerodactyl or Togekiss.

Aerodactyl's Sky Drop was an absolutely incredible move in this meta - particularly when combined with Trick Room. With the sole exception of enemy Aerodactyl (who I was EV'd to underspeed, allowing a KO w/Stone Edge when under Trick Room), Sky Drop + Trick Room on turn 1 meant that one of the opponent's team was effectively neutralised for 2 turns, Aerodactyl was protected for 2 turns, and the enemy took a 90bp attack - all for one action. So many games began with Aero neutralizing the threat to Exeggutor/Chandelure and dodging an attack, with TR going up unscathed. And when opponents deprioritise Aerodactyl to focus on your TR sweepers, he can continue to 'fake out' opponents with Sky Drop for next turn despite moving last.

Exeggutor was the unsung hero of the team. Sludge Bomb was very useful as a tech - eliminating Bulu and Whimsicott who assumed they were safe to stay in, and 2HKOing Togekiss. Leaf Storm OHKOing Tyranitar, Gigalith, Terrakion, and non-resisting Greninja was just gravy. Frisk was also an all-around decent ability in a meta where knowing who was holding the Weakness Policy was a handy piece of intel. Also, baiting unwitting Sky Drops from opponents who don't know that Exeggutor is too heavy to lift was a pleasant benefit at several points through the tourney.

Breloom under Trick Room was just unspeakably powerful. The number of 'grass resists' that got KO'd by Bullet Seed is too long to fully enumerate. And with the option of Spore to ensure the KO, it gets pretty obscene. OHKOing Tyranitar with Mach Punch also never got old.

I was surprised not to run in to more Weakness Policy Togekiss, as that thing is bulky AF and can turn the tables on some of its common 'counters' (Terrakion and Weavile particularly), especially under Trick Room.

Two of the most reliable checks to this team were Dhelmise and Abomasnow - I didn't see many of those, but if they came in while TR was up, it was often GG.

Was lurking around this thread for a little bit, decided to put this Smogon account I barely use to work and here we are. I played all 45 of my games and ended with a record of 38-7 and a rating somewhere low 1890s, since I was trying to go head-to-head with Sejun, who also has an 189x rating and was 39-6.

weaknesscup.PNG

Anyways, this is my team. Some thoughts:

• Aerodactyl, Togekiss, and Greninja are the top 3 'mons in the format. They always contributed to every battle I brought them to (which is a lot, since they're all so good).
  • Trick Room was not the call. All the setters bar Eggy-Alola were weak to Dark and they also had a rough time vs. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop/Rock Slide, Togekiss's Air Slash, and Breloom's Spore. Some opponents I played who got their room up still lost because I was able to stall it out and then overrun them.
  • Speaking of Spore, Breloom is definitely top tier in the meta due to Technician Mach Punch and Spore. I saw exactly 0 Togekiss who built to outrun this thing which is weird cuz outrunning Breloom with my own Togekiss was extremely helpful.
  • Whimsicott is another mon that I think is top tier and not because it does Terracott things. Prankster Encore+Tailwind is powerful and Fairy is one of the best offensive coverages to have in this format because nothing other than Chandelure, Marowak, and Delphox resists it. It also has priority Nature Power, which when paired with Tapu Bulu means a 90 BP STAB priority move boosted further by Terrain and possibly type advantage.
  • The best berries were Charti and Yache. Aerodactyl or Togekiss usually took one of those and you could put the other one somewhere else.

Super fun meta overall, there was a bit of luck involved sometimes but it was actually nice not seeing surprise scarves and knowing all your damage calcs would be right b/c of no boosting items or Z-Moves.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Was lurking around this thread for a little bit, decided to put this Smogon account I barely use to work and here we are. I played all 45 of my games and ended with a record of 38-7 and a rating somewhere low 1890s, since I was trying to go head-to-head with Sejun, who also has an 189x rating and was 39-6.

Anyways, this is my team. Some thoughts:

• Aerodactyl, Togekiss, and Greninja are the top 3 'mons in the format. They always contributed to every battle I brought them to (which is a lot, since they're all so good).
  • Trick Room was not the call. All the setters bar Eggy-Alola were weak to Dark and they also had a rough time vs. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop/Rock Slide, Togekiss's Air Slash, and Breloom's Spore. Some opponents I played who got their room up still lost because I was able to stall it out and then overrun them.
  • Speaking of Spore, Breloom is definitely top tier in the meta due to Technician Mach Punch and Spore. I saw exactly 0 Togekiss who built to outrun this thing which is weird cuz outrunning Breloom with my own Togekiss was extremely helpful.
  • Whimsicott is another mon that I think is top tier and not because it does Terracott things. Prankster Encore+Tailwind is powerful and Fairy is one of the best offensive coverages to have in this format because nothing other than Chandelure, Marowak, and Delphox resists it. It also has priority Nature Power, which when paired with Tapu Bulu means a 90 BP STAB priority move boosted further by Terrain and possibly type advantage.
  • The best berries were Charti and Yache. Aerodactyl or Togekiss usually took one of those and you could put the other one somewhere else.
Super fun meta overall, there was a bit of luck involved sometimes but it was actually nice not seeing surprise scarves and knowing all your damage calcs would be right b/c of no boosting items or Z-Moves.
Nice to see you posting here! I really wanted to use the Delphox + Gren pledge combo myself but wussed out last minute and just used "standard" builds (and swapped Delphox for Ttar), did you get to utilise it much?

Nice to see you posting here! I really wanted to use the Delphox + Gren pledge combo myself but wussed out last minute and just used "standard" builds (and swapped Delphox for Ttar), did you get to utilise it much?
Nope, I got to use it once in low ladder hell b/c the opposing team was the "I'm in it for the mega stones" type. Pledges are pretty poop in this meta b/c it turns into only one super attack which opens you up to the non-target's partner. I'd much rather have had a different Water move there, say Hydro Pump or Scald. Instead of Fire Pledge, I would consider Flamethrower or Incinerate to burn away berries.

How did you EV your Togekiss JHufself ? All out speed and Spatk, or speed and HP?
Originally, I was Modest with near max HP and max Special Attack, but then I decided outspeeding Breloom was too important and went Timid with 180 Speed EVs. The rest went to maxing out Special Attack and the leftover became HP EVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)