VGC 17 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
PokeBank is used to store pokemon from one game that you have (ORAS, XY) and move them to another. Right now, it isn't compatible with Sun and Moon.
Certain moves like Tailwind, Heat Wave, Hyper Voice, Air Slash, Defog, et al. were only available as TMs or Tutors in previous gens. When Pokemon Bank is updated, we can move those pokemon into our SM games.

This is what we know about "when".
I'm not sure on this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought bank will only allow us access to parents for egg moves and hidden abilities. I dont think you'll be able to move a gen 7 Mon back to gen 6, give it a tutor move and then move it back to gen 7. I was under the impression that bank wasnt backwards compatible and you could only move mons to newer games, not vice-versa. Again, not sure, so I could be wrong.

I'm not sure on this, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought bank will only allow us access to parents for egg moves and hidden abilities. I dont think you'll be able to move a gen 7 Mon back to gen 6, give it a tutor move and then move it back to gen 7. I was under the impression that bank wasnt backwards compatible and you could only move mons to newer games, not vice-versa. Again, not sure, so I could be wrong.
I think they have stated as much, but i am actually not 100% sure. Either way, going by history alone the idea of backwards trading doesn't make sense.

I think they have stated as much, but i am actually not 100% sure. Either way, going by history alone the idea of backwards trading doesn't make sense.
That's true. Looked a little further and:

pokemon-sunmoon.com said:
If you transfer a Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and then on to Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y, you’ll be unable to transfer it back to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.
So I'm dumb and disregard my last like...3 posts.

Because none of those are egg moves.

So, this is top cut at London which was the first big boy event of the season. Gigalith, mah boi, came out on top! Another interesting addition was Araquanid, which saw some use in Showdown but hadn't been used much in live events. But more surprising than either of these is the falling off of Garchomp, who was used everywhere both on showdown, at prior on-cart live events and on cart online. Granted the one Chomp team in top 8 did place first but it's surprising to see so many good players foregoing it.

Attachments

It's also pretty suprising to see Porygon 2 being the preferred trick room setter over Oranguru.
Porygon has much better offensive coverage and defensive stats with eviolite and only weak to fighting so unless you're using an instruct strategy or you need a really specific niche filled, porygon is mostly stronger

That Ice beam might be why people are scared to use that garchomp too

Porygon has much better offensive coverage and defensive stats with eviolite and only weak to fighting so unless you're using an instruct strategy or you need a really specific niche filled, porygon is mostly stronger

That Ice beam might be why people are scared to use that garchomp too
Iirc aren't Pory2's defenses close to Cress's defenses after Eviolite boost is applied? Nowhere near the same HP of course, but still: Cyber Duck is tanky.

Worth Pointing out that the tournament is still going on, it's just that the garchomp is #1 seed.

It's also pretty suprising to see Porygon 2 being the preferred trick room setter over Oranguru.
Not really. People almost immediately identified him as a big winner in this format in the 'interesting pokemon' thread, he just has much better all around bulk, very good in a meta where
1. most viable knock off users lost it due to no tutors. The last two big users left in this meta are Muk and Hariyama (and Hariyama will just close combat Porygon anyways).
2. The extreme offensive power of megas isn't present.

In 2015, I had a lot of success using a cb or belly drum (I can't remember) azumarill with quiver dance volcarona. Wha would Be this years equivalent? Tapu bulu and something else?

What set is arcanine running most? Im about to breed one and have calm/modest females. 1 with each standard ability, and will be adding blast burn (if necessary)

Just gonna make an eevee cheese team with the core eevee/clefairy/smeargle, which ones should be my sweepers? (I saw a few arcanine/fini/bulu), what are the typings and choice available? Is a dragon sweeper like mence/chomp viable?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
How good is Tapu Fini at the moment? And who are good partners for it that make it shine?
blarajan won't shut up about how good he thinks it is with a calm mind set, but I don't think it has much to differentiate itself from other bulky waters besides having an additional poison weakness. Misty terrain is cool I guess but there isn't really a whole lot of status being thrown around to begin with.

(Which is too bad, because it would've been amazing if it existed in vgc16)

There's actually a surprising amount of toxic being used in this meta (BSS too), mostly to deal with Porygon2 due to the lack of knock off users and viable fighting types/fighting coverage. Lots of Porygon2 will carry toxic for mirror matches. So I guess that would help the argument for Fini over other bulky water CM sets.

So I want to run Tapu Bulu for Leech Seed and Terrain support after seeing Wolfey use it (mostly for Porygon-2). Anyone have any idea what set to run? I know he had Leech Seed, Sub, and Horn Leech.

Results from European Internationals (10-11.12 2016)
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/internationals/2017/vg-masters/

Top8
Porygon2 x5
Tapu Koko x3
Tapu Lele x3
Marowak-A x3
Kartana x3
Tapu Bulu x2
Celesteela x2
Gastrodon x2
Gyarados x2
Arcanine x2
Raichu x2
Gigalith x2
Pelipper x2
Hariyama x2
Muk-A x2
Garchomp
Xurkitree
Oranguru
Politoed
Milotic
Krookodile
Salamence
Magnezone
Golduck
Ninetales-A
Araquanid

26 unique pokemon in the top 8 alone.
The format seems to be very diverse.

Why Toxic on Gastrodon and Porygon2, though? It used to be a rare move in doubles.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SecretT I get the impression that people are using Toxic to nail opposing Porygon2, since Fighting types aren't easy to fit on a lot of teams in this metagame.

Results from European Internationals (10-11.12 2016)
http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/internationals/2017/vg-masters/

Top8
Porygon2 x5
Tapu Koko x3
Tapu Lele x3
Marowak-A x3
Kartana x3
Tapu Bulu x2
Celesteela x2
Gastrodon x2
Gyarados x2
Arcanine x2
Raichu x2
Gigalith x2
Pelipper x2
Hariyama x2
Muk-A x2
Garchomp
Xurkitree
Oranguru
Politoed
Milotic
Krookodile
Salamence
Magnezone
Golduck
Ninetales-A
Araquanid

26 unique pokemon in the top 8 alone.
The format seems to be very diverse.

Why Toxic on Gastrodon and Porygon2, though? It used to be a rare move in doubles.
Only one Pokemon was on over half the teams there, four showed up on three teams, ten appeared twice, and eleven were unique. Considering a clear majority showed up twice at most, definitely off to a nice start, diversity-wise.

SecretT I get the impression that people are using Toxic to nail opposing Porygon2, since Fighting types aren't easy to fit on a lot of teams in this metagame.
Which is understandable. A lot of the top Pokemon resist or are immune to fighting with Pory2 being the only real fighting-weak exception. Any chance the few Knock Off users may see an uptick in popularity too though?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
http://imgur.com/a/wf47P

It's interesting to compare what we saw at London to showdown usage stats, which present us with a much more centralized metagame.
I imagine next month's stats will be a much better reflection of the metagame, because the first month was full of bugs, illegal things, and people spamming the same team over and over because nobody had found anything better yet.

Now that there's a whole load of good teams post-london, I think people will play around with different mons more, giving a better picture of what the meta's like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)