Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Yes, as long as the Pokémon is captured or hatched in a Gen7 game it will be a Gen7 Pokémon, so even if you breed two Gen6 Pokémon in a Gen7 game it will hatch with the Clover, making it Gen7.

Awesome!!!! Thank you for the help!!!! You are awesome!!

Okay, gotta make some changes for the next International Challenge, so two questions...

1 - Point for Point, which Pokemon is the thickest? (Highest combinations of defenses and HP)
2 - Is there any way to negate Trick Room after it's been set? (Can't seem to win once it goes down...)

Okay, gotta make some changes for the next International Challenge, so two questions...

1 - Point for Point, which Pokemon is the thickest? (Highest combinations of defenses and HP)
2 - Is there any way to negate Trick Room after it's been set? (Can't seem to win once it goes down...)
If you are asking which one has the highest HP and Defense combination in that game that would be Zygarde-C but it's not VGC17 legal
The ones that are would be hard to pin point as the highest HP Pokemon is Guzzlord but it's defense is low
Otherwise I think it would be Buzzwole or Mandibuzz

There is no way to negate Trick Room short of using Trick Room yourself to reverse it

Anyone can suggest me a good team with Salamence? He seems good on paper imo.
Thanks!
He isn't really good on paper in VGC17 tbh

Loss of Mega Evolution meant his Flying STAB is wasted, Dragon this generation is also a terrible typing since there are so many Fairies running arround (A-Ninetales, Tapu Koko, Tapu Fini, Tapu Lele, Mimikyu)

As well as Misty Terrain which halves Dragon moves as long as it is in play.

His movepool is fairly limited in that it's Dragon, Fire and Water and that's pretty much it

if you are dead set on using it then I recommend Metagross as a partner since it counters Fairies (like the ones listed up above) Rock types (like Nihilego, Gigalith etc) Ice types (like A-Ninetales, A-Sandlash, Vaniluxe)

He isn't really good on paper in VGC17 tbh
if you are dead set on using it then I recommend Metagross as a partner since it counters Fairies (like the ones listed up above) Rock types (like Nihilego, Gigalith etc) Ice types (like A-Ninetales, A-Sandlash, Vaniluxe)
Agreed on Metagross.

Draconium-Z Salamence as Special Attacker is pretty viable, gives Intimidate support and anti-EQ. Just pay attention to the timing of your Dragon Moves if the opponent has any fairies in Team Preview (or don't bring Mence at all).

1. To figure out that out all you have to do is multiply hp by defense or special defense. Make sure to multiply the actual stat that shows up in game, not the base stat.

Edit: actually i don't know. That works for stats * power of a move but hp should be different

1- I mean Blissey would be the correct answer, but it isn't a top tier Pokémon in this metagame.
If we are talking about a viable bulky Pokemon, consider Porygon2 with eviolite and Snorlax (Snorlax is thick too haha)

2- You can Trick room again with your own Porygon2 or use a slow Pokemon to counter TR, like Snorlax.

In tailwind comps, except for speed races like kartana, how come its not better to run half speed half hp + 252 at/Spe on most of the team?

Right now im running fakeout inceniroar. After tailwind +fakeout t1 goes up he rarely loses the speed battle to most.

In tailwind comps, except for speed races like kartana, how come its not better to run half speed half hp + 252 at/Spe on most of the team?

Right now im running fakeout inceniroar. After tailwind +fakeout t1 goes up he rarely loses the speed battle to most.
It's not hard for your opponent to set up Tailwind themselves, so it can still be useful to run max Speed. However, on a Pokemon like Garchomp that can already make use out a bulkier spread, running lower speed can be useful. Other Pokemon like Marowak-A need a lot of investment to outspeed faster Pokemon even when Tailwind's up, so look at Speed Tiers to determine how much you need to invest for a certain Pokemon.

1. I believe Eviolite Porygon2 has the most bulk overall. If you're specifically looking for Physical Defense, then Buzzwole's probably your best bet.
2. Only way is to use Trick Room yourself. Porygon2 is probably best for this and helps with point 1 if you're looking to change your team.

I'd like someone to provide a comprehensive list of the best item/pokemon combination (for instance celesteela and fini can be listed together as the best leftovers users,ecc.).
I'm mostly interested in good aguav/figy and sitrus berry users.

I'd like someone to provide a comprehensive list of the best item/pokemon combination (for instance celesteela and fini can be listed together as the best leftovers users,ecc.).
I rarely notice berries being run on anything except Arcanine, Gastrodon, Muk and Snorlax

And the occassional Tapu Fini

As of right now, pinch berries (50% percent berries, Iapapa/Wiki/Figy berry, you get what I mean) are the "go-to" item if you don't knkw what item you really wanna use. That's because this format is a bit more defensive and bulky (compared to VGC 16). You'll see in a second why I explained this.

In theory, in order to say Leftovers (6% recovery each turn) > Pinch berry (50% when you are under 25% hp), the Pokemon holding leftovers has to stay on the field for at least 9 turns (9 × 6 = 54% > 50%) so that holding leftovers is worth it.

Thing is, that's not easy, because even if this format is defensive, double battles are fast-paced by nature. It's unlikely that your Pokemon will stay for 9 turns on the field every game.

Point is, pinch berries "bypassing" item clause let's you use it on pretty much every bulky pokemon you use. So what are some great pinch berries users? Anything that is somewhat bulky can run a pinch berry. Joshua Lorcy just got 2nd place at Toronto Regionals using a Wiki Berry bulky Xurkitree.

In conclusion, a great pinch berry user is any Pokemon that you want to make bulky. Right now Arcanine, Fin, Snorlax are great pinch berry users but not because they are the best Pokemon holding that item, it's due to them being among the best Pokemon in the format.

Hope I explained myself well enough haha

Like Raahxen said, recovery berries can go on all kinds of Pokemon if you want them to run a bulky set. Besides the ones already listed, Tapu Lele can run a bulky set with a berry and calm mind, and Gigalith or Araquanid can be used with a berry instead of a z move. A comprehensive list is really impossible to make, since the choice of item is going to depend on what role the Pokemon is trying to fill, which will depend heavily on the rest of the team and on individual preference. Looking at the battlespot usage statistics can show what items are common for a given Pokemon, but there's no way to say what will be best without knowing all the details.

How do you get Play! Points on the Pokemon Leaderboard and what exactly does this leaderboard offer? To my understanding, there are irl competitions such as "Worlds" "Regionals" etc.

How do I get onto the leaderboard and receive actual prizing that isn't just digital content?

How do you get Play! Points on the Pokemon Leaderboard and what exactly does this leaderboard offer? To my understanding, there are irl competitions such as "Worlds" "Regionals" etc.

How do I get onto the leaderboard and receive actual prizing that isn't just digital content?
Play Points are the points you get from attending events. They're different from Championship Points, which you get from doing well at events. Play Points don't really do much... They basically just give a decent indicator of how many events you've been to. I believe in the past you needed like 3 Play Points to attend Nationals... Or at least that's what I thought it was last year. Dunno, any Play Point requirements were incredibly low (like 3) and the people attending the events have a lot more going into events.

Regarding getting onto the leaderboard and receiving actual prizes, that's basically where the Championship Points come in. Do well at events to get championship points. The more you get, the higher you'll be on the leaderboard. The highest on the leaderboard (t8 to t16ish range I think? Never been that high, never really looked into all that much) receive stipend to various events (Nationals in past years and now Internationals which were introduced this year). Earning a certain number of Championship Points allows you to play at the Worlds tournament. The requirements generally vary by region and age division. For example if I wanted to play at Worlds I would need 500 points because I am in the Masters division in North America. Last year you needed 350 points, and years past you needed to be in the top x (some number) of players in Championship Points to attend. Also new this year doing well at Regional level events and higher (basically top cutting Regionals or cutting/nearly cutting Internationals) give you cash rewards depending on how many players were at the event. Bigger Regionals have seen cash rewards of $3,000 to first place.

Breeding Eevees. What's the standard Espeon set at the moment? Anything I should be mindful of in regards to IVs/egg moves?

(Also, are any other Eevees getting usage in this meta? I'm still dipping my toes in VGC17, and Espeon's the only one I've seen on a regular basis.)

Breeding Eevees. What's the standard Espeon set at the moment? Anything I should be mindful of in regards to IVs/egg moves?
The only major use of Espeon in this format is for Evoboost teams; there they generally run something like
Espeon @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
Level: 50
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psych Up
- Detect

Stored Power and Detect are egg moves for this set; 0 attack iv is preferable but not crucial.

If you wanted to run Espeon on a non-evoboost team, a Timid nature and HP Fire IVs would be good to check Kartana; Charm and Fake Tears would be cool to have as options and Detect > Protect, but no egg moves are super necessary there.

(Also, are any other Eevees getting usage in this meta? I'm still dipping my toes in VGC17, and Espeon's the only one I've seen on a regular basis.)
The only other member of the Eevee family that sees noticeable use is Eevee itself, since Sylveon doesn't have access to Hyper Voice right now.

The only other member of the Eevee family that sees noticeable use is Eevee itself, since Sylveon doesn't have access to Hyper Voice right now.
Sylveon normally sees use with scarfed Porygon-Z
Porygon-Z uses a scarf to outspeed and uses Round, Round already gets respectable damage when PZ uses it
Sylveon moves DIRECTLY after Porygon-Z, Round's power is doubled+Pixilate+STAB+whatever item Sylveon hypothetically uses to increase attacks makes it a devastating attack

Sylveon normally sees use with scarfed Porygon-Z
Porygon-Z uses a scarf to outspeed and uses Round, Round already gets respectable damage when PZ uses it
Sylveon moves DIRECTLY after Porygon-Z, Round's power is doubled+Pixilate+STAB+whatever item Sylveon hypothetically uses to increase attacks makes it a devastating attack
Yes that is a possible use, but they asked what's getting usage--Sylveon is below things like Tsareena, Whiscash, and Trapinch in BS usage. You can use it for a specific gimmick team but it isn't a priority to have bred and ready.

So I am new to vgc and was looking at the 2017 rules and under case 4 in section 5.4 it says that Pokemon in safari balls and sports balls are considered illegal I was wondering why this is. For example you can catch gible and riolu in HG/SS in the safari zone and with the new way the balls are passed down if you catch a male of those and then transfer them up and breed with a female that you can catch in sun and moon wouldnt those be considered legal. The same can be said about sports balls you can catch a pinsir in the bug catching contest transfer it up and breed down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)