UU Sunny Day Team

My first team I've posted for RMT. It has done very well on Shoddy so far.

Shiftry@Focus Sash
Chlorophyll
Hasty (+Spd, -Def)
252 Spe, 212 Atk, 44 SpA
- Sunny Day
- Fake Out
- SolarBeam
- Explosion

What I want to do is Fake Out, Sunny Day, then Explode/SolarBeam with my chlorophyll boosted speed. It works out very well, but Rotom, Persian, and Electrode give it problems sometimes.

Bellossom@Heat Rock
Chlorophyll
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

My Special Sweeper that can support itself. She can set up Sunny Day for 8 turns which gives herself 396 Spe, gives her STAB SolarBeam no turns to charge, powers up HP Fire to 105 BP, and gives a HP boost to Synthesis.

Victreebel@Life Orb
Chlorophyll
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
120 HP, 252 Atk, 136 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch

Victreebel got some great moves in Platinum. Swords can double his already great Atk stat and Leaf Blade is a great physical Grass move. He has 420 Speed in the sun, which outspeeds Electrode, and even if there isn't sun, he still has Sucker Punch which does a lot with a Swords Dance. Sleep Powder can help me set up.

Ninetales@Life Orb
Flash Fire
Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power Rock

Ninetales is very important because she covers my fire weakness very well. Flash Fire and Sunny Day both boost Flamethrower. Energy Ball is there instead of SolarBeam because I usually send in Ninetales after I send in Victreebel/Bellessom so by then the sun is gone. HP Rock is there for Altaria and other Fire types, and it has been VERY useful in battle. Nasty Plot is obvious.

Claydol@Heat Rock
Levitate
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Explosion

A new set made by Legacy Raider. So far it has been pretty useful, a great counter to Hitmonlee.

Lapras@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
252 SpD, 160 SpA, 96 HP
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Basically my special wall. BoltBeam works out great since I lack the type coverage. RestTalk allows me to outstall opponents.

Problems:
I can't see any, but I'm sure there are some out there.

Good start. I also have a UU Sunny Day Team, so I'll share some of my experiences.

1) You only have two Pokemon with Sunny Day. One of them, your lead, is set to explode right away. The other is a somewhat frail Pokemon who will have a difficult time setting up. It would be nice to get some Sunny Day on Claydol.

2) Lapras's Surf will be very underpowered in the sun. You already noticed this, but in my experience it's not really viable at all. Consider replacing that move with something else, Rest perhaps.

3) Physical suggestions: on my similar team I used Rapidash with Choice Band. He's pretty potent, and can OHKO a Clefable with Flare Blitz in the sun. I'm not sure he would work well here, though, but just an idea.

4) Three grass Pokemon is not a good idea. Shiftry isn't really that necessary, and I think Persian could do his job better. Persian is not weak to fire, faster without the sun, and instead of Explosion can perform a quick U-Turn to a sweeper. This has the added benefit of being reusable, which will definitely help you set up better later in the game. Of all the leads I tried, Persian was by far the most effective.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey

Shiftry is a really good lead, and I would stick with it. For Sunny Day teams it is one of the best leads, the other common one being Jumpluff. However, I would stick with Shiftry for now, as Jumpluff's biggest selling point is its fast sleep powder (which you already have on the team).

On your Ninetales, you might want to replace Energy Ball with SolarBeam, which you can abuse in the sun.

I would change around some of the moves on your pokemon. Move Sleep Powder from Bellossom onto Victreebel, and move Synthesis from Victreebel to Bellossom. Statistically Bellossom has much better defensive stats (75/85/100 vs Victreebel's poor 80/65/60), and so will be able to make much better use of Synthesis compared to Victreebel. With Synthesis and Heat Rock, it will also become a much more reliable user of Sunny Day, being able to heal itself up after setting up the sun to be able to replenish it later on in the game.

A Sleep Powder gives Victreebel a free Swords Dance essentially, and so you should make the most of it on your most dangerous sweeper.

I would recommend you change Claydol's set to the following:

Claydol @ Heat Rock
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD

- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Explosion

Lapras should be able to take most special attacks, and so you should EV your Claydol to the physical side to be able to take Stone Edges and Close Combats. Claydol makes a very reliable weather replenisher, and while you're at it you can set up a screen and Stealth Rock as well (which is extremely helpful on offensive teams like this). Since your team is based on utilizing Sunny Day to the best effect, you shouldn't bother wasting time and trying to sweep with something like a CM Claydol. Your Explosion will heavily damage one opposing pokemon, and also let you get one of your chlorophyll sweepers in for free. Oh by the way, this Claydol would also make a fantastic lead.

On Lapras, definitely keep Toxic > Sleep Talk.

Hope this helps.

LR.

dude, throw a shuckle on there! sun support shuckie is one of the best pokes i've ever used on my sunny day team and i highly recomend it. also, tangrowth is an amazing swords dance (or if you're on shoddy or hack your guys into your game, mixed set) all in all he's the best poke on my sunny day team. you could also think about takin lapras off and throwing in a life orb timid golduck(who's ability negates weater's effects while still keeping the weather in play) to throw strong stab water attacks. and if that's not enough, mixed victreebel is great at wallbreaking cause of weather ball. those are some of the best sunny day dudes i've used. hope they work for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)