Gen 7 [USUM OU] Mega-Latias HO

:sm/greninja-ash::sm/Tapu Lele::sm/magearna::sm/kyurem-black::sm/hawlucha::sm/Latias-mega:

Hello there, I have been playing a lot of gen 7 OU lately due to the DLC making gen 9 OU a bit crazy and found a old team i made which has always offered good results and thought let me post this on smogon so other people can use it too

:choice-specs::sm/greninja-ash::choice-specs:
Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Greninja is the main revenge killer of the team, having good stats before and especially after Battle Bond. After thinking about the sets a bit i decided a Choice Specs
set would be good just for sheer damage output, Water Shuriken is a great option for revenge killing a lot of mons like Scarf Lando-T or the occasional Scarf Blacephalon,
Surf is the main water type attack used for bulkier Fire/Ground like Heatran but is also a great move to spam against neutral targets due to Greninja-Bond being very powerful,
Dark pulse is the worse but still good STAB option obliterating most mons that resist its water stab,
Lastly Ice beam is just for grass types Like Tapu Bulu.

:choice-specs::sm/tapu-lele::choice-specs:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Lele is one of the best wall breakers in OU which is why i choose it. With good coverage, High Sp. Attack and decent speed this mon obliterates most of OU in 2 hits.
I gave it choice specs for even more power so u just shred through most neutral targets, its also immune to priority making it a nice switch in on revenge killers.
I gave it Psyshock over Psychic to hit mons like Chansey better , Focus Blast for Steel/Ice Types and Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn.

:assault-vest::sm/magearna::assault-vest:
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 224 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magearna is the Tank of the team with almost all the EVs invested in HP and SpD, it also gains a 1,5x bonus due to Assault vest so the 354 SpD turns into 531 SpD.
Magearna is just mostly a panic button for when you dont know what to do or u need to take a strong hit.
The coverage of Magearna is also great with Fleur Cannon as a strong STAB move Ice Beam mostly for Lando-T but can also help against Dragon Types , Hidden Power Fire for Ferrothorn and Volt Switch to just keep momentum going.

:icium-Z::sm/Kyurem-black::icium-Z:
Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze Shock
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam

Kyurem-Black is the main Physical Attacker of the team having a Enormous 170 Base Atk, a solid speed stat (95) and Great Bulk.
I gave it Icium Z for a 1 time nuke button since it doesnt have any good Physical Ice moves and depending on the mon u can do a Physical or a Special Ice nuke
Freeze Shock is its main attack u use with Icium Z so it doesnt have a 1 turn wait and it turns from 140BP to 200BP, Outrage is its dragon stab hitting murdering most mons that dont resist, Fusion Bolt is coverage and Ice Beam is for when u used the Z Move and need to use a Ice Type Attack.

:psychic-seed::sm/Hawlucha::psychic-seed:
Hawlucha @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Hawlucha is just a setup sweeper and a option to outspeed scarf mons like lando-T and it also just outspeeds nearly everything in OU.
I gave it Acrobatics for flying STAB since it will almost always be 110 BP because of its held item: Psychic Seed,
High Jump Kick is just a strong move with 130 BP and Swords Dance is to double its Attack Stat from 311 to 622 and lastly i gave it Roost to heal off damage it took.

:latiasite::sm/latias-mega::latiasite:
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Latias is excellent in OU due to being a Fast (Base 110 Speed), Strong (Base 140 Sp. Atk) and Bulky (Base 150 Sp. Def) and having a great Movepool.
u basically just wanna set up on any mon that comes in that u can beat or just kill them if possible, this mon can struggle with Steel Types due to them resisting boths its STAB options which is why i gave it Surf to at least hit Steel Types neutral.

The ''Oh I'm Fucked'' List
:charizard-mega-x: is a huge threat to this team due to its amazing Dual STAB hitting everything for at least neutral which normally doesnt = a instant threat but this mon is a Physical Fire Type meaning the normal Panic Button :magearna: doesnt work and u actually have to play around it

Sticky webs also can be a huge threat to this team since it has no Defogger but if u just keep ur :tapu-lele: and :hawlucha: alive u will be fine

:volcarona: can spiral out of control very easily so u have to watch out for that one, the best strategy is just to use :Hawlucha: in Psychic Terrain

:kartana: can be a problem if u dont know the set but if u just make sure :magearna: stays alive until u do u will be fine

:victini: with a :normalium Z: is absolutely broken against this team, if u know he will use it u will have to play around it using mostly :kyurem-black: and threatening it with :greninja: using Water Shuriken.

Conclussion

That's the team and RMT, if u have any feedback just tell me.

https://pokepast.es/49bdae6344b4eae6

Last edited:

:latiasite::sm/latias-mega::latiasite:
Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Calm Mind

Latias is excellent in OU due to being a Fast (Base 110 Speed), Strong (Base 140 Sp. Atk) and Bulky (Base 150 Sp. Def) and having a great Movepool.
u basically just wanna set up on any mon that comes in that u can beat or just kill them if possible, this mon can struggle with Steel Types due to them resisting boths its STAB options which is why i gave it Surf to at least hit Steel Types neutral.

I think this set could stand to be improved depending on what type of CM sweeper you want it to be. If you're trying to just get 1 CM and sweep, Alakazam-M is a better choice. Dragon Pulse is kinda bad on Latias (and Draco is an issue for obvious reasons), and considering that its bulk isn't all that impressive uninvested, the superior SpA and speed of Alakazam feel much more suited to the role. A standard with Psychic/Psyshock, Focus Miss, a coverage move of choice (HP Ice, HP Fire, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball all come to mind), and Calm Mind should be a much more threatening sweeper.

If you want a bulky calm mind sweeper, I would suggest reworking Latias to a set looking something like this:
Latias (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power/Psyshock
- Ice Beam/Surf
- Roost
This allows you to take advantage of Latias' incredible bulk while still posing a potent offensive threat. The choice between Psyshock and Stored Power really comes down to how badly you need to beat physical walls. Outside of killing Chansey and friends, Psyshock is generally inferior to Stored Power. Ice Beam is generally a better coverage move in this tier (of the 52 mons ranked OU, 11 of them are weak to ice, and they all have pretty decent usage. Effectively 12 since kartana is basically weak to Ice Beam) but if hitting Steels neutrally is a big deal, Surf is far from terrible (although I might add that unless a Steel type has Toxic/Twave or Leech Seed, there's really nothing stopping you from continuing to boost and killing with Stored Power). Roost allows it to utilize its bulk by outlasting things it can't ohko and shrug off chip damage to keep sweeping. Just make sure anything with status is either dealt with beforehand or chipped enough that Latias can kill it herself.

i have played a bit of usum ou, hit top 100 about a month ago, so i guess what i'm saying has "some" expertise (lol)

from what i've seen, ash-gren outside of rain NEEDS hydro pump. i get missing is frustrating and always hitting with surf is better, but the hydro pump tradeoff is far greater historically, in the case of ash gren outside of rain. also, as useful ice beam can be, spikes is reallt useful, and your team has no form of hazards so playing against something like stall, switching is really free and hard to punish (ex, chansey can always go into your gren and doesn't get punished at ALL since your team doesn't offer any sort of hazards, or hazard control).

onto the hazard problem, i think a exca would solve a lot of your problems. always great on HO, as it gets rocks up in the face of any magic bounce diancies or sableyes with moldbreaker, offers a ground type (which this team kind of needs), strong ground stab and rapid spin all in one. exca is great in enabling ho to do what it does, as whenever a switch is forced you have rocks pressuring your opponent. i would probably switch this out with the kyu nuke, and the z can go to lele for that breaking power, fight z is great for ferro which is a little annoying for your team if it runs spdef.

as the other guy here mentioned, i would change up the lati set. whenever you are chosing latias over latios, its for more bulk > immediate pressure. there is an immediate problem there, as the whole point of ho is your going for immediate pressure over the longevity of say a bo or balance team. for the lati set, i would go cm recover and two attacks (those ranging from surf, ice beam, stored power, psychic all very good), or recover 3 attacks, but that doesn't fit this team as well.

its a cool team no doubt, but i think the number 1 thing u gotta add is some sort of hazard, be it spikes gren and rocks on anything or just rocks.

good luck with usum ou, its a very fun tier :)

Hey i think this is coming late but i think if you are using cm lati you should opt for latios with draco meteor>dragon pulse. You tend to get really good rolls with draco and high spa stat from latios, also with psyshock you can break through alot of fat teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)