Unpopular opinions

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I actually don't think that Gyarados needs to be Water/Dragon. I really like its Water/Flying type. It makes it seem more special and it still makes a lot of sense. Its Water/Dark-type shows how much more menacing it could be if you mess with it and in my opinion, it does this more than if it were to be a Water/Dragon.

Same with Aerodactyl, it's Rock/Flying for reasons too big to fit Dragon in (but you guys know those reasons)

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I think gen 1 is the best generation
It's not unpopular in the least. The Internet gives voice to many who exaggerate the number of Gen 1 fans and who hate it, but in reality, there are plenty but not half as much as they claim. That being said, I strongly disagree, as outside of the glitches and other interesting mechanics, there's not much backing it up sans nostalgia or just personal preference for the graphics/music. It's all subjective in the end.

I personally believe that Gen 3 is overrated af. That seems to be unpopular.

harambe's solution

Banned deucer.
but in reality, there are plenty but not half as much as they claim.
So there are a lot or there aren't a lot?

I think the number of people, and the popularity of hating on gen 1 is growing more and more main stream than people may give credit for

That being said, I strongly disagree, as outside of the glitches and other interesting mechanics, there's not much backing it up sans nostalgia or just personal preference for the graphics/music.
nuff said

I am not trying to provoke any more reactions, but of course a divisive opinion such as this will probably cause that. So I'll abstain if it gets to that, not that I even want to drag out a conversation about this lol.

harambe's solution

Banned deucer.
I don't like gen 1 for a reason as trivial as that, I like the generation for what those pokemon represented , not only to me but in general, during the time they were introduced. They were what started the pokemon saga, and I perhaps I may view this with a 'rose-tinted glass' but those pokemon back then had a design that was beautiful to me. Needless to say all pokemon from all eras look wonderful, and it just so happens to me I think gen 1 looks the most cool.

Last edited:
I actually don't think that Gyarados needs to be Water/Dragon. I really like its Water/Flying type. It makes it seem more special and it still makes a lot of sense. Its Water/Dark-type shows how much more menacing it could be if you mess with it and in my opinion, it does this more than if it were to be a Water/Dragon.

Same with Aerodactyl, it's Rock/Flying for reasons too big to fit Dragon in (but you guys know those reasons)
Aerodactyl never looked like a Dragon to me tbqh, it always was a bird for me even back in Gen 1(Archaeopteryx anyone?)

Also I accepted that Gyarados is a flying type after I saw those japanese windsocks. If you slap a Gyarados style on them... well it actually works.

I know I'm probably the only one to have this opinion, but I'm highly against nicknaming my Pokemon (for the most part). I really like keeping the original Pokemon's names, but I honestly have no particular reasoning for it. I guess I'm just bad at nicknaming Pokemon, because I can never seem to come up with a proper name.
Eh, I'm partial to pun names. Very fun. Or names that reference the source material of the Pokemon, or something related to the source material of the Pokemon. My Dhelmise for example, is named "HMS Resolute". Whole ghost-ship theme. But I can understand where you're coming from.

What really annoys me though, is when people name their Pokemon something intentionally offensive, or equally stupid. By doing such, you mistreat your friend. Kind of an arsehole move to do.

By nicknaming a Pokémon, you essentially change its identity without its consent, as mentioned by Takeshi Shudo in his novelization of the early Pokémon anime. That likely only applies to the anime, but people can name their Pokémon whatever they want in the games. However, I dislike when players deliberately make an effort to give their Pokémon offensive, vulgar, or simply stupid names.

Call me crazy, but I kind of wish every Pokemon, at least the fully-evolved ones, had some discernible practical use in-game. Yes, even ones like Dunsparce that are designed with weakness in mind. I'm one of those players who just clicks with a Pokemon once I use it in battle, so if I can never fit a certain mon on my team, in-game or otherwise, I'm never gonna get the chance to really get to know it, so to speak.

Admittedly, I figured he definitely could have been more respectful to Pokémon's source material, considering that his stories deviated even more from what we know and love today. Don't get me wrong; the Pokémon anime would've never had a story as elaborate as the One Piece manga, despite all the available lore that exists within the games. However, I kinda liked the idea of artistic license when there wasn't enough of a story in the games. Now that the games have become deeper than fighting Gym Leaders and catching cute litle creatures for combat, there are more reasons to remain accurate than not nowadays.

Just so you know, I wasn't that fond of those ideas, either; I was just sharing some of my observations.

I think giving trainers EV trained Pokemon in Sun and Moon was a mistake. In regular trainer battles, the opponent will pretty much always have an advantage in speed and attack power at the same level against the player, leading to a lot of scenarios where the opponent is almost always able to outspeed and 2HKO your mons with a normally effective move while you barely 2HKO them back with a super effective move. This adds challenge to the game, but I feel it does it in an unfair way, since the AI is essentially programmed to have higher stats than the player. I think making the opposing trainer AI much more complex (doing things like regularly switching, having more Pokemon, and using more healing items) would have been a much better way of balancing the difficulty

My unpopular opinion is that SM brought waaaay too many complicated features. Metagaming was already complicated back in the ORAS time, but after this it's overwhelming. As someone who stopped playing Pokemon before it came out and got back almost as Ultra MS is coming out all the new mechanics feel overwhelming
Also, I don't know how unpopular this is, but I mostly prefer either the spin-off games or remakes over the core series. I find myself continuously playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, Pokepark, Battle Revolution, even Conquest now, as well as overplaying LGFR, HGSS, and now abusing OR's DexNav to amass an army of egg move Poochyenas xD

Last edited:
  • There are literally no redeeming qualities to Gen 1. I don't know if that's still unpopular, but still. The games are unbalanced, glitchy messes with terrible designs and sprites. The anime had very few good episodes and no good characters. The first movie was total garbage, the second was just kinda dull. I don't understand how the series ever caught on with a beginning like that.
  • B2W2 are my favorite games, but SM and HGSS are pretty close.
  • Clemont is the best anime character
  • I don't hate Iris
  • Garbodor is better designed than Muk
  • Charizard's design is just mediocre
  • I haaaaaaate Pikachu. I know that there wasn't much better back then, but the mascot should have changed between generations. Wooper, Flygon, Shinx, Litwick, Froakie, and Rowlet would all have been better mascots than Pikachu.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
  • There are literally no redeeming qualities to Gen 1. I don't know if that's still unpopular, but still. The games are unbalanced, glitchy messes with terrible designs and sprites. The anime had very few good episodes and no good characters. The first movie was total garbage, the second was just kinda dull. I don't understand how the series ever caught on with a beginning like that.
  • I haaaaaaate Pikachu. I know that there wasn't much better back then, but the mascot should have changed between generations. Wooper, Flygon, Shinx, Litwick, Froakie, and Rowlet would all have been better mascots than Pikachu.
Gen I: Well you're looking at Gen I from a modern perspective and I'm assuming you're either around or over 20. To understand you gotta look at when and with whom it became popular with: in the later 1990s/early 2000s and with kids around 10 or younger. Back then Pokemon was a pretty innovative game, due in part to the link cable which let kids trade with each other and battle one another no other game had allowed them to. Plus it was on the Gameboy meaning they could take the game anywhere and meet another kid playing the game. As for the anime, what was exciting about the anime was seeing the Pokemon in full detail and moving around, as well showing what "real life" Pokemon battles would look like and doing things you couldn't in the game. Gen I doesn't age well, but it was never meant to. It was meant to be a base in which a potential franchise was to be built upon, and as you see the franchise which has been built on that base has become quite big. If they remade Gen I (again), I would not be surprised if they completely redo much of everything in order to add in a more complex story, side activities, newer mechanics, and do more world building like with the lore of the region.

Mascot: If they switched around the mascots it'll probably be either the Pikachu clone on that gen or the popular mon they were pushing (or chosen based upon on a combination of cuteness & coolness). I don't think Wooper, Flygon, Shinx, and Litwick would have been an option. More like it would have been Pichu/Marill, Plusle & Minun/Absol, Pachirisu/Riolu, Emolga/Zorua, Dedenne/Litleo, and Togedemaru/Rockruff. Also the starters usually serve as a mascot of their generation, sometime one or two more than the other(s).

Hey having a personal bias for your favorite pokemon is no shame

but why would you ever have your favorite pokemon suffer mascot syndrome? Er, that is to say the trend for mascot characters to be stripped of the interesting traits that got them there in order to have broader appeal, making them boring. Basically what happened to Mickey Mouse.

Well, until recently in Mickey's case

Still weep, as pikachu dies a little each day so that other pokemon may live.

swing low sweet chariot coming for to carry me home

But since you brought up Shinx... I've never really liked it's design. Sure Luxio and Luxray look cool but Shinx could really use more dark blue/black to it's color palate ASAP. Plus those big eyes and big ears
upload_2017-10-21_18-37-11.png

I dunno, it's always looked like a monkey crossed with a Powerpuff girl to me, instead of the lion it's supposed to be.

Again Luxray is cool though, mostly for correcting all those flaws. That and I like the striped socks effect on it's front legs.

Also, hi! I'm alive again, sorry for the 3-month break.

But since you brought up Shinx... I've never really liked it's design. Sure Luxio and Luxray look cool but Shinx could really use more dark blue/black to it's color palate ASAP. Plus those big eyes and big ears
View attachment 89929
I dunno, it's always looked like a monkey crossed with a Powerpuff girl to me, instead of the lion it's supposed to be.
It’s interesting to hear people’s differing perspectives on stuff like this. I personally really like Shinx’s design, because to me the predominantly light colouring gives it that cutesy early mon feel, while making its evolution a nice dark surprise haha.

Also, the stark division between its light front half and darker butt back half reminds me of the positive and negative terminals of a battery.

Also, the stark division between its light front half and darker butt back half reminds me of the positive and negative terminals of a battery.
That's why everyone has a different opinion, because to you it looks like a battery but to me it looks like it's wearing pants. Nothing wrong with that, just a matter of taste.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 7)