UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab (Check Post #479)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nightingales the huntsmen and huntresses of Beacon stand ready to do battle on your behalf (Pearl's format is now my format)!

I made an offensive team that uses Cobalion to break down checks for Sceptile and Gyarados and relies on Nidoqueen, Porygon2, and Salamence to check major threats and provide hazard control. Hopefully this fits with what you wanted.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpA
Modest Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Sceptile @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

The first thing I did was perform some minor alterations to the requested sets. I changed the natures on Sceptile and Gyarados to maximize speed (Gyarados in particular hits a really important speed tier with Jolly), swapped Earthquake for Bounce on Gyarados, and replaced Energy Ball with Giga Drain for some additional longevity. I decided on Cobalion as my first addition in terms of teammates because it gave me a way to check a lot of things that caused problems for Mega Sceptile and Gyarados (it checks Mega Aerodactyl and Mamoswine and can KO Zapdos with Stone Edge in order to open up opportunities for Gyarados, etc.), which also gave me another potential win condition. Nidoqueen gave me the ability to set Stealth Rock while pressuring common Defoggers. Since Sceptile and Gyarados are running Speed-boosting natures, being able to keep Stealth Rock up is very useful. Offensive Porygon2 showed up as a way of checking stuff like Salamence and Gyarados in one slot and serves as that one glue Pokemon that offense tends to need. Special Defog Salamence rounds out the team by providing an Entei switch-in and some useful hazard control.

Like most offense teams, Slurpuff and Mamoswine pressure this team pretty hard. Try to keep pressure on Slurpuff if possible. 80 Defense EVs allows Porygon2 to survive a +5 Drain Punch after Stealth Rock (the player basically has to sac an Intimidate user and then go to Porygon2), but it's still definitely a big threat. Mamoswine is also problematic, but Gyarados and Shuca Cobalion can check it fairly well, Porygon2 can do some damage if the user can get it in safely, and it can be worn down through Life Orb recoil.

Possible changes:
  • Nidoqueen can run Toxic Spikes if you want to put Stealth Rock on Cobalion at the cost of either coverage or the ability to boost. This gives you a way to wear offensive threats down and gives you another option vs. bulkier builds. I personally recommend keeping Cobalion, as a second win condition is very valuable in this meta, but either option is acceptable.
  • Porygon2 can run more a more defensive spread. It can also use Download as its ability to deal with Slurpuff more effectively.
  • Sceptile can run a Modest nature and/or Energy Ball for more power. Running Modest makes this team weaker to Adamant Mega Aerodactyl, although that's not super common, as well as other Mega Sceptile (Timid means you speed tie with opposing Mega Sceptile at worst), but may be worth it if the user feels that the additional power. Energy Ball lets Sceptile hit harder without changing nature, but lowers its longevity because it has no source of healing.
  • Gyarados can run an Adamant nature and a bulkier spread, but misses out on a crucial speed tier. It can also run a different coverage option in place of Bounce. If Substitute Gyarados is insufficiently aggressive, a Life Orb variant with three attacks (any two of Bounce/Earthquake/Double Edge/Stone Edge work) can provide more immediate power, although it is far less likely to grab the multiple boosts that Substitute + Leftovers enables.
I hope this team fulfills your request. Everyone else, keep them coming!

Last edited:
Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Heracross @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Nope, still suck at teambuilding. Requesting an offense team built around these two wallbreakers. Tinted Lens Yanmega has wonderful surprise value and hits quite hard. It's also blessed with U-turn, though it does clash to an extent with its gaping weakness to Stealth Rock. I fucking love Heracross. It hits disgustingly hard and I wish it got Agility or Rock Polish maybe a new +2 Speed move from the upcoming Pokemon SadoMasochism Sun and Moon. I actually had trouble deciding whether to go with Choice Band, Status Orb AOA, or Status Orb SD, so pick whichever one you want that works best for the team.

Thanks, party people.

ehT

:dog:
is a Contributor Alumnus
+

Baton Pass Absol Lure [Offence]
Absol-Mega @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass
- Sucker Punch

Entei @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Natural Gift
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed

This is a pairing I've seen a couple times and looks like a lot of fun. It's designed to capitalize on a very common trend in the current meta: Fairy / Water / Steel cores. It's rather straightforward: Absol baits in the Fairy or Steel type, SD's up, and Passes to Entei, who, with Liechi Berry and Natural Gift (which gives it a 100 BP Grass move) can singlehandedly dismantle any Florges / Aggron / Coba / Cune / Pert / what have you that may try to stand in its way. This sort of lure is very unprepared for in this meta, since our go-to Fire resists in this tier are usually not prepared to take a boosted Grass attack, and this can open up huge holes for a sweeper like Slurpuff, Gyara, Mence, or Absol, which all appreciate cores like this being either worn down or done away with entirely. Thank you, and good luck!

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
harsh the death fleets of the Tal'darim descend upon your foes! Sorry this took so long, but I've been a bit busy between real-life stuff, preparation for nv's Matchmaking Tournament, and just needing the time to play for fun instead of for some kind of site-related time commitment. Still, I'll try to get stuff done a bit faster in the future if I can do so without compromising the quality of the teams I produce.

I made an offensive team that uses Krookodile and Nasty Plot Infernape to break down bulky Water-types and allow Mega Aerodactyl or Gyarados to finish the game. Whimsicott and Shuca Berry Metagross provide glue and check threats that the other Pokemon have trouble with. Hopefully this fits with what you wanted.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch

Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot

Krookodile @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Roost

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

The first thing I noticed was that bulky Water-types gave the requested core some trouble, so I started by thinking of ways to get rid of them. Other drafts of this team used offensive Grass-types or Dry Skin checks like Heliolisk or Toxicroak, but I eventually opted for a different answer and ended up using Nasty Plot Infernape. I then added Gyarados as a win condition that could take advantage of Infernape's ability to break walls and Krookodile's ability to wear down or threaten its checks. I added Whimsicott and Metagross as checks to stuff that could threaten the team and received a bit of utility as a result. The Metagross EV spread + moveset is probably the most unusual thing here, but there's reasoning behind it: Shuca Berry lets it check stuff like Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Mamoswine that normally give offense a bit of trouble and takes the pressure to check them off of the team's win conditions by allowing Metagross to lure them in and KO with the appropriate move. The EV spread gives it enough Speed to beat the Adamant Crawdaunt benchmark and bulky Nidoqueen. The EVs give it as much bulk as possible while also allowing Metagross to hit a jump point in Attack and guarantee that it will OHKO Mamoswine with Meteor Mash, while also granting a high chance to KO offensive Nidoqueen after Stealth Rock. Thunderpunch is the coverage move of choice to beat Gyarados, since Metagross can easily tank a +1 Earthquake and KO back. It also allows Metagross to KO Crawdaunt after a bit of chip damage. This team has the tools to win against any archetype, but often requires smart play and is hard to just autopilot to victory.

I didn't notice any gigantic weaknesses during testing, but I did find out that Sticky Web is kind of annoying. If playing against a Sticky Web team, Gyarados and Aerodactyl have to do a lot of work. Metagross is also important in this matchup because Clear Body prevents its Speed from being lowered and allows it to deal with slower threats that normally appreciate Sticky Web support. Hazard stacking in general can also be kind of problematic, but the team is usually able to keep enough offensive pressure on the opponent to mitigate this particular issue.

Possible changes:
  • Metagross can run a different move over either of Zen Headbutt or Thunderpunch. Its EV spread can also be changed for more speed, power, or bulk.
  • Whimsicott can run Pixie Plate for more power, although this makes it more difficult to deal with Feraligatr and Sharpedo. The user should use his or her best judgement regarding the likelihood of facing anything that Whimsicott relies on Yache Berry to check and weigh that against the benefits of Pixie Plate. A bulkier spread is also an option, since this team relies pretty heavily on Whimsicott defensively, although being able to outspeed stuff like Azelf and Galvantula means the user can at least limit them to setting their hazard instead of setting a hazard and then chunking something without risking Mega Aerodactyl.
  • Infernape can go fully Special and swap Close Combat for either Focus Blast or Vacuum Wave, although this adds a miss chance or weakens wallbreaking power, depending on the choice.
  • Gyarados can run Substitute or Taunt in place of anything but Dragon Dance and Waterfall, or change around its coverage moves to fit the user's preference. Leftovers or Life Orb are also options if the user values either additional longevity or additional offensive presence over the ability to set up on status and/or check Entei more effectively.
I hope this team fulfills your request and that you have as much fun using it as I did making and testing it. Everyone else, requests are welcome.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Ok so I'm gonna withdraw my Sableye request as I've sort of built some good offense teams with it, so here's a new request for y'all:

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Solar Beam
- Sunny Day

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid / Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Growth / Sunny Day

SunnyBeam Mega Houndoom is a super underrated set that, while being slightly overshadowed by the Nasty Plot set, still has a lot of power behind it in being able to break through bulky waters with Solar Power Solar Beam and being an awesome wallbreaker in general. Chlorophyll Venusaur benefits from Sun for sweeping, and also benefits from Mega Houndoom's insane wallbreaking power under Sun. I don't really care what the playstyle is, I'd prefer it to be Offense or Sun Offense, as this core is a pretty Sun core. Good luck on building around this builders, and thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
harsh the death fleets of the Tal'darim descend upon your foes! Sorry this took so long, but I've been a bit busy between real-life stuff, preparation for nv's Matchmaking Tournament, and just needing the time to play for fun instead of for some kind of site-related time commitment. Still, I'll try to get stuff done a bit faster in the future if I can do so without compromising the quality of the teams I produce.

I made an offensive team that uses Krookodile and Nasty Plot Infernape to break down bulky Water-types and allow Mega Aerodactyl or Gyarados to finish the game. Whimsicott and Shuca Berry Metagross provide glue and check threats that the other Pokemon have trouble with. Hopefully this fits with what you wanted.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 136 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunder Punch

Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat
- Grass Knot

Krookodile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Roost

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

The first thing I noticed was that bulky Water-types gave the requested core some trouble, so I started by thinking of ways to get rid of them. Other drafts of this team used offensive Grass-types or Dry Skin checks like Heliolisk or Toxicroak, but I eventually opted for a different answer and ended up using Nasty Plot Infernape. I then added Gyarados as a win condition that could take advantage of Infernape's ability to break walls and Krookodile's ability to wear down or threaten its checks. I added Whimsicott and Metagross as checks to stuff that could threaten the team and received a bit of utility as a result. The Metagross EV spread + moveset is probably the most unusual thing here, but there's reasoning behind it: Shuca Berry lets it check stuff like Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Mamoswine that normally give offense a bit of trouble and takes the pressure to check them off of the team's win conditions by allowing Metagross to lure them in and KO with the appropriate move. The EV spread gives it enough Speed to beat the Adamant Crawdaunt benchmark and bulky Nidoqueen. The EVs give it as much bulk as possible while also allowing Metagross to hit a jump point in Attack and guarantee that it will OHKO Mamoswine with Meteor Mash, while also granting a high chance to KO offensive Nidoqueen after Stealth Rock. Thunderpunch is the coverage move of choice to beat Gyarados, since Metagross can easily tank a +1 Earthquake and KO back. It also allows Metagross to KO Crawdaunt after a bit of chip damage. This team has the tools to win against any archetype, but often requires smart play and is hard to just autopilot to victory.

I didn't notice any gigantic weaknesses during testing, but I did find out that Sticky Web is kind of annoying. If playing against a Sticky Web team, Gyarados and Aerodactyl have to do a lot of work. Metagross is also important in this matchup because Clear Body prevents its Speed from being lowered and allows it to deal with slower threats that normally appreciate Sticky Web support. Hazard stacking in general can also be kind of problematic, but the team is usually able to keep enough offensive pressure on the opponent to mitigate this particular issue.

Possible changes:
  • Metagross can run a different move over either of Zen Headbutt or Thunderpunch. Its EV spread can also be changed for more speed, power, or bulk.
  • Whimsicott can run Pixie Plate for more power, although this makes it more difficult to deal with Feraligatr and Sharpedo. The user should use his or her best judgement regarding the likelihood of facing anything that Whimsicott relies on Yache Berry to check and weigh that against the benefits of Pixie Plate. A bulkier spread is also an option, since this team relies pretty heavily on Whimsicott defensively, although being able to outspeed stuff like Azelf and Galvantula means the user can at least limit them to setting their hazard instead of setting a hazard and then chunking something without risking Mega Aerodactyl.
  • Infernape can go fully Special and swap Close Combat for either Focus Blast or Vacuum Wave, although this adds a miss chance or weakens wallbreaking power, depending on the choice.
  • Gyarados can run Substitute or Taunt in place of anything but Dragon Dance and Waterfall, or change around its coverage moves to fit the user's preference. Leftovers or Life Orb are also options if the user values either additional longevity or additional offensive presence over the ability to set up on status and/or check Entei more effectively.
I hope this team fulfills your request and that you have as much fun using it as I did making and testing it. Everyone else, requests are welcome.

Thats a great team frn.Thnx for making it. i had decent success with this team while i dont even play uu.

(Couldn't find a good sprite so enjoy my amazing drawing)
http://imgur.com/NNu4hLF
Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Im requesting an offensive team build around mega beedrill and defensive rotom-heat. Rotom-heat helps against bulky water and steel types that beedrill has problems with along with being able to thunder wave scarfed pokes and mega that are faster than it.

Last edited:
Requesting a team with Tailwind Tornadus
I've always liked Tornadus because of it's great movepool, offensive stats, and ability.
I would prefer a life orb one, so here is a set

Tornadus @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Grass Knot
- Tailwind
Moves are always changeable, mixed could be cool as well as some other things like Focus Blast and Sludge.
For team options, slow but hard hitters like Crawdaunt, Darm, Nidos, etc. would be great partners.

Requesting Mega Sharpedo and Roserade core
Ages ago I built a team using this core, the idea being Roserade stacks toxic spikes to give Sharpedo and easy sweep (in addition to being generally awesome), but the meta has changed a lot since then I think it needs a bit more than a fresh coat of paint.

These were the sets:
Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 SpA / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

If you think there is a toxic spiker better than Roserade available by all means switch him out, but I like the access sleep powder as it (75% of the time) guarantees at least one layer.

Requesting a team built around Tyrantrum + Mega Abomasnow

Tyrantrum @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

So Tyrantrum just breaks holes in teams and weakens steels leaving them open to be killed by Abomasnow
would prefer a more bulky offense styled team w/ this but w/e works the best is fine as well :]

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
BrandonBeast (new format because PMD portraits are overused as fuck now. btw, Bouff came up with that format, not me, so be nice to him)

Uxie @ Heat Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sunny Day
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Sucker Punch

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Aromatherapy

Probably one of the most interesting teams I've built lately. Sun in general is really fun to build with, so thanks for making the request. Basically, this team revolves around Uxie's ability to support both Venusaur and Slurpuff flawlessly and how those two overload each other's counters quite nicely. Houndoom is there to make sure the team doesn't get demolished by Chandelure and to punch holes on balance as well. Sucker Punch was chosen over Dark Pulse because it makes mega evolving much easier, provides me with even more speed control and also breaks Alakazam's Focus Sash for my 2 main win conditions. Swampert and Cobalion hold the team together by checking Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl and Entei, which would be quite painful to deal with otherwise. Swords Dance + Lum Berry Cobalion works as Snorlax answer, secondary win condition in case Venusaur and Slurpuff fail to pull their weight and a Sableye lure for the latter. Aromatherapy is replaceable on Slurpuff, but with Sableye around I believe that it's a lot better than Return as the forth move. It requires you to get some chip damage on Tentacruel (and other Poison-types) before attempting a sweep, but that shouldn't be too hard with Sun on the field.

note: I usually don't build non-HO teams without hazard control, but this is one of those scenarios where you're simply better off without Defog or Rapid Spin because it's just not worth it to make any tweaks to fit that in. If you really feel like you need it, however, feel free to run Roar Empoleon or Forretress over Cobalion. That should work, I guess. Thunder Wave over Knock Off or U-turn on Uxie is another option worth considering.

Amaroq

Cover me.
I said I was gonna try to get these out faster, but I lied. Real life happened. Anyway, CatTurtleKid and Where'dTheseDucksComeFrom I have something that I hope will fulfill your requests. I decided to consolidate your requests for a Mega Beedrill + Specs Heliolisk + Belly Drum Slurpuff team and a Mega Beedrill + Rotom-H team into one team because replacing Heliolisk with Rotom-H patched up the huge weakness to priority (especially Entei and Mamoswine) that CatTurtleKid's original core had and the original request stated that Heliolisk was replaceable. That said, if I've deviated too much from the request, let me know.

This turned out to be a slightly funny-looking offense team that uses VoltTurn pivoting + offensive Suicune and Calm Mind Alakazam to pave the way for a Slurpuff sweep (new format because I am childlike and easily amused by moving pictures).

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 84 Def / 172 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

The biggest thing I noticed about the first request was that it wasn't really fond of priority users, particularly Entei and Mamoswine. Rotom-H helps with those issues to an extent by giving the team a reasonably reliable Entei and Mamoswine switch-in while retaining the ability to grab and keep momentum with Volt Switch. Next, I added offensive Suicune as an offensive check to those problematic Pokemon, a way to break down bulky Steel-types and Ground-types for Slurpuff, and a general-purpose offensive tank. I gave it a little extra HP investment to increase Leftovers recovery without losing out too much on power. At that point, I needed a way of setting Stealth Rock and a check to stuff like Mega Beedrill and Mega Aerodactyl, since Suicune wasn't as resilient as normal defensive sets and couldn't be a catch-all defensive wall, so Cobalion fit the bill and gave me another check to the priority that troubled Beedrill and Slurpuff. Between Cobalion, Suicune, and Rotom-H, I could check most priority users (Cobalion resists Bullet Punch, Extremespeed, Ice Shard, and Sucker Punch, Suicune resists Bullet Punch, Aqua Jet, and Ice Shard and is beefy enough to take pretty much anything else, Rotom-H resists Bullet Punch and Ice Shard), and Beedrill could handle Fighting-type priority in a pinch, so I was free to go with something fast and frail to round out the team. Calm Mind Alakazam gave the team a better way to break stall and also provided some speed control to improve its matchup against offense.

This team plays pretty aggressively and doesn't leave a whole lot of room to make mistakes the way fat balance does, so proper execution is key. To use this team effectively, it is important to identify the team's most likely win condition based on matchup and play accordingly. This team is not afraid to sacrifice members in order to clear the way for something else to sweep. I feel like this team has ways to win in any matchup, but there are a few things it struggles with. Two of its difficulties are common to most offensive teams, those being trouble with Mega Sceptile and Sticky Web. Sticky Web is really annoying for offensive teams without Taunt or hazard control, and this team is no exception. Fortunately, the team has decent bulk and can usually tank a hit and respond when necessary. Mega Sceptile is also rough on most offensive teams, but Suicune can lure it and KO with Ice Beam, Slurpuff can take a hit at -2 and KO back, and, if all else fails, Mega Beedrill can risk the Speed tie. Finally, Sableye is really annoying for this team. I have included a list of possible solutions below and leave it up to the user to decide which, if any, to implement.

Possible Changes:
  • Cobalion can run Swords Dance and Lum Berry instead of Volt Switch and Shuca Berry. This gives Cobalion a good chance to beat Sableye if it can set up Stealth Rock safely and use Swords Dance on the switch the next time it comes in.(+2 252 Atk Cobalion Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Sableye: 258-304 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Cobalion can also run Taunt instead of Swords Dance to Taunt Sableye on the switch-in or eat a Will-O-Wisp and Taunt Sableye, while also granting a 50% chance to stop Galvantula from setting Sticky Web. If this option is taken, Suicune must take up the slack against Mega Aerodactyl check and Cobalion struggles a bit more with Mega Beedrill.
  • Alakazam can run Dazzling Gleam over either Calm Mind or Shadow Ball. The rest of this team can wear down a lot of the Pokemon that Shadow Ball would cover, such as Doublade, Slowking, and Reuniclus, without too much trouble. Doublade in particular is easy to chip. Four attacks improves the matchup against offense, but the stall matchup suffers as a result.
  • Rotom-H can run a Choice Scarf or Choice Specs with Thunderbolt (or simply run Thunderbolt over a status move) in order to serve as a more consistent Sableye answer and have the option to Trick a Choice item onto a wall. The choice of moveset determines what Rotom-H provides and is discussed in more detail with the set template provided below. Rotom-H can also run Will-O-Wisp over Thunder Wave, depending on whether the user wants speed control or residual damage and the ability to cut a threat's Attack. The EV spread is flexible as well and the Speed investment can be altered to outspeed whatever the user feels is most beneficial (for reference, the current spread beats Jolly Gyarados).
  • Suicune can invest more heavily in bulk to better survive Mega Sceptile's Leaf Storms at +1. The current spread hits a Leftovers number and guarantees that Suicune will survive Timid Mega Sceptile's Leaf Storm at +1. Additional bulk allows it to survive in different situations (48 HP / 48 SpD allows Suicune to survive after Stealth Rock if it's lost Leftovers for some reason or has taken a tiny bit of chip damage or something, 240 HP / 8 SDef provides more overall bulk and ensures that it will survive even Modest Sceptile's Leaf Storm at +1, etc.) and function as more of a bulky check to other things. Suicune can also run Tailwind over Hidden Power Electric in order to provide some more team support, enable cleaning, and improve the matchup vs. offense, but this comes at the expense of weakening the team's matchup vs. Gyarados and the bulky Water-types that Hidden Power Electric enables Suicune to beat. My personal recommendation is for Hidden Power Electric in most situations, but Tailwind can be used if the ladder is trending toward offense or as preparation for a specific opponent likely to bring offense.
  • Beedrill can run either Knock Off or Drill Run based on personal preference and other changes.
  • Slurpuff can run Aromatherapy to give the team some cleric support and beat Sableye more easily (credit for this one goes to Pearl, since I shamelessly ripped it from his post above). The rest of the team can handle the stuff Return/Frustration would normally cover, although this change makes Slurpuff a little more supportive and a little less of a self-contained win condition.
Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick / Hidden Power [Ice]

Choice Specs lets Rotom-H hit harder and punch holes in opposing teams and serve as a true Sableye answer (252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-H Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 258-304 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock. Keep in mind that most Sableye run some Speed investment to creep both opposing Sableye and other Pokemon that try to creep Sableye). Thunderbolt also outdamages Sableye's healing from Leftovers + Recover (252 SpA Choice Specs Rotom-H Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye: 178-211 (58.5 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery) and gives Rotom-H a source of consistent damage that doesn't lower its Special Attack or force it to switch out. Choice Scarf works well with one of the patchwork fixes to the Sableye problem provided above and allows Rotom-H to be more useful against offense by outspeeding most of the things that would benefit from Sticky Web and revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Sceptile, Mega Aerodactyl, and slower Pokemon holding a Choice Scarf. This set isn't as good at dealing with Sableye, though it can still spam Thunderbolt and pray for paralysis. Hidden Power Ice is an option if the user wants a more effective way of dealing with Mega Sceptile and doesn't feel that either Trick or Thunderbolt is necessary.

This team was pretty fun to make and I enjoyed building with Pokemon and sets I don't normally utilize heavily. Keep the requests coming. I'll try to keep fulfilling them as best I can (not gonna promise to finish them fast this time, real life doesn't care how much time I want to put into Pokemon and I gotta make sure I take time for personal play).

Last edited:
Requesting a core around a physical Coil Milotic

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Coil
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Iron Tail / Aqua Tail

Aqua Tail hits harder and has better coverage, but is completely walled by water absorb / storm drain. Yeah, it's a bit gimmicky, but I've had fun messing around with it in OU and I thought I'd have a proper go with it in UU.

I'm absolute crap at team building though and am having trouble getting started. I've looked at a few defensive walls like M-Ampharos, Salamence and Gligar but I just don't know the tier well enough. Then there's hazards, status, clerics etc to consider.

Could you guys point me to a few sets that would work well with this set and cover up its (considerable) weaknesses?

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Electrabae

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Heal Bell

Gyarados @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 92 HP / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
Ended up having to tweak Mega Ampharos's set a little because having two Rest Talk Pokemon would slow the team down way too much. However, if you really want to run Physically Defensive Mega Ampharos, feel free to use SubDD Gyarados or a different Pokemon in its place. Krookodile and Forretress provide hazard control and are really nice pivots as well. Florges, Blissey and Gyarados form a really cool defensive core that can take most threats in the tier. The Pokemon that this team's defensive core doesn't handle that well, such as opposing Gyarados, are covered quite nicely by the rest of the team. Offensive Mega Ampharos is, in my opinion, the best Ampharos set on this kind of team because it benefits a lot from all of the support (Wish, Heal Bell and hazards) and because I believe that right now, RestTalk Mega Ampharos is outclassed by other similar Pokemon, those being mostly bulky Water-types like Suicune, Slowking and Gyarados, which serve the same purpose of checking Fire and opposing Water-type Pokemon.

notes: Double Rocky Helmet + Intimidate is both interesting and really nice to have. You can run Agility on Mega Ampharos, but I personally wouldn't recommend that because it's an inferior Mega Sceptile (basically). Building this kind of stuff without Mega Aerodactyl is actually a pain in the ass, don't try it at home kids.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok I updated the queue as well as the team archive and I have a bit of sad news.
Probs gunna have to dip out of this guys. I'm not nearly as versed in this tier as I once was and I simply am not knowledgeable enough with the current meta to build anyone a team let alone build myself a team.

Maybe sometime if I get back into the tier more I can help out but for now I don't deserve to be here, makes me feel guilty anyways.

was fun guys.
The great and wonderful Wanka is leaving us so please thank him for all he has done to the Lab (not in the thread though) and hopefully one day he will come back to us. :(

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Hi, I'd like a team build around SubDD Gyarados. I find this sweeper very interesting. I've had some other teams with it and they're working fine, but most of the time, they get blasted apart by a certain Pokemon/core, and every time I change a Pokemon, a new weakness is covered up. If you can give a launching pad to use for a Gyarados team, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Hi, I'd like a team build around SubDD Gyarados. I find this sweeper very interesting. I've had some other teams with it and they're working fine, but most of the time, they get blasted apart by a certain Pokemon/core, and every time I change a Pokemon, a new weakness is covered up. If you can give a launching pad to use for a Gyarados team, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Hi!

If I recall correctly, a few teams have featured some gyarados set recently. Maybe to save the builders some work you could check out Amaroq's team at the top of the page :)

Amaroq

Cover me.
As stated above, we've done a few Gyarados teams already. If you'd like a balance team with Gyarados, Shiba posted one here. If you want something more offensive, the teams I've made for this project featuring Gyarados are here and here. If you choose to use my first team, be aware that it requires minor tweaks on your end to patch up the Sableye weakness. The best immediate fixes I can think of are putting Lum Berry on either Gyarados or Cobalion (Cobalion wins if it gets a Swords Dance boost as Sableye switches in, as does Gyarados, but Cobalion has a better chance of getting away without suffering a second burn because +2 Iron Head has a better chance of OHKOing Sableye after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery than +1 Waterfall), although both options have their tradeoffs (Gyarados loses recovery, Cobalion has a lot more trouble checking Mamoswine). Alternatively, you can play around with Whimsicott over Porygon2, since it serves most of the same functions, gives the team a better Sableye answer, and provides a little more utility/speed control, but stacks weaknesses with Sceptile and compounds the Mamoswine issue unless it runs Yache Berry + Energy Ball. If you use my second team, feel free to change Gyarados's set to the one you submitted, but be aware that it will require you to play more carefully around Entei with the rest of the team. If none of those provide what you want, then you may request some specific core for us to build around, although whether the request is accepted remains, as always, at the discretion of the builders, and we reserve the right to refuse requests that either don't meet the appropriate standards for viability or are too similar to content the Lab has already produced.

Sorry to everyone who ended up clicking this thinking I'd produced another team. I'm not working on anything specific right now, though I am thinking of a few preliminary ideas for a couple of our current requests.

+
+

Hi, I would like to request a team built around the following core

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Rest

This is the main pokemon which I enjoy using. It's combined physical bulk after one cotton guard and it's base special defence make it useful for walling many pokemon. I included rest as this would allow it to stall later in the game once any ampharos counters are out of the way.

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Magic Coat/Taunt
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

This is honestly an annoying pokemon. Magic coat to reflect back other hazard setters without the mega, or taunt for setup sweepers. Not sure what would work best.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Roar

Mainly for fairy resistance and chip damage.

(Didn't know how to make a spoiler box so I did this)
What I would request:
-Some kind of ground check or immunity appropriate for this team.
-A balanced/stall type playstyle build.
-A toxic spikes setter or normal spikes
-Another win condition other than ampharos stalling

Thanks and good luck to whoever takes this request :D

Hello! If it isn't too much, I'd appreciate a team built around Cobalion and Florges(Sorry, still new to smogon so no sprites :/)

Cobalion @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 200 Def / 52 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch
+
Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Heal Bell/Calm Mind

Requests:
-Offensive Mega
-Some momentum to complement Cobalion
-Hazard Control
-Reliable late-game sweeper(this isn't as much as a request as it is a want, so I don't really mind if this isn't inputted)

Thanks a lot! :]

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch / Bullet Punch / Iron Tail

Requesting an offensive team made around Swords Dance Lucario. Lucario has been falling in usage a bit because it's competitor, Cobalion, is a lot more splashable and bulky, making it a better choice for it's utility and better speed. Lucario still has the advantage of more offensive power over Coba, and Extreme Speed is always a plus. Personally I'm requesting this just to see how Lucario fares against this meta, because it's always seemed like a cool mon to me. Thanks in advance, builders! n_n

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.

Salamence @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake / Toxic
- Dragon Tail / Roar / Defog

Requesting a full Stall team based around FatMence. FatMence has a bunch of redeeming qualities going for it, including excellent typing, above average bulk, and Intimidate, which allows it to wall the myriad of physical attackers that reside in OU. I'm requesting this cause I'm sick and tired of how much pain the ladder causes me, so I've decided to be a sadistic bastard and turn the tables on the ladder, causing them pain. Thank you bunches in advance, you lovely builders !

I'm going to go ahead and request a team to be built around metagross. Metagross is a great steel type which can go for both an offensive set or a defensive set. It also has the psychic typing in addition to it's steel typing making it 4x resistant to psychic and taking neutral damage from fighting types. Along those lines, it has access to stealth rock, strong dual stabs, priority in the form of bullet punch, and great coverage options in eq and ice punch. This thing also hits extremely hard with a choice band, making it the fearsome metallic tarantula it is.

The set is up to the builder, offensive rocks or choice band both work, however if you want to be creative with something like hone claws/rock polish then go for it!
The playstyle is also up to the builder, however i don't really like stall so if you could please stay away from making it into one.
Other than that thank you and good luck! :)
Hi there Hawaii Express, your request has been fulfilled a few times before such as Amaroq's team, Yabo's team, or Adaam.'s team. You're free to request for something else!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)