Resource ULTRA Sun & Moon Sets VR Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
May I ask why Assault Vest Magnezone was Unranked?
Its an awful Koko Check, which it was initially used as in early SM when koko ran magnet with uturn. Now Koko has specs volt switch which just cuts into your health severely. Its an absolutely garbage lele check too and gets obliterated by kartana instead of trapping it like scarf. its bulk is honestly really underwhelming for the meta shifts that have occurred over the last 8-9 months and cant check surging breakers like kartana or threatening mons like pinsir, nor trap terrifying breakers like mega mawile like z move can. It’s just a mediocre choice in this meta. That was our reasoning.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Viability Ranking Update

And now to run through some updates!

With Gary and Subject 18 stepping down from moderation and their duties, we have decided to add OUTL Finchinator to the Compendium!

- Still Our Lord and Savior -

- On top of moving up, we decided to keep Choice Band currently in A- to reflect it's a viable and passable set, but still pales in comparison to Swords Dance and Choice Scarf.
- Bumped Calm Mind + Shift Gear and OTR down to B+. Debatable on OTR potentially, but CM + Shift Gear isn't quite as effective as SG + 3 attacks and AV is still one of Magearna's best sets.
- Bumped Z Wild Charge to B+ and removed Scarf. Z Wild Charge isn't really good outside of using Koko's higher offensive stat, and Scarf is pretty bad (but arguably usable in niche circumstances).
- Another Pokemon that moved up, we decided to move CB and DD to A+ as they prove to be Zygarde's more splashable and potent sets. SubDance and Double Dance definitely have respectable threat presence, but require more support to setup.
- Swords Dance is now A. SD Mega Scizor has become a bit more common now that Defog is offered by other teammates and some Pokemon such as Celesteela can be trapped with Magnezone support.
- Removed Choice Specs. While Toxapex remaining in the tier and Tapu Bulu / Mega Venusaur still being strong Pokemon for teams, Specs Keldeo just really lacks a lot unless it makes major sacrifices. Calm Mind + Taunt at least can take advantage of Toxapex while having Leftovers to prevent Scald burns or Z Crystals to overwhelm threats.
- Moved Scarf above Substitute + Z Crystal. Kartana's placement in A+ rank has made Scarf Magnezone a superior option for some teams. It also sports being an okay check to some dangerous threats such as Mega Pinsir and SD Mega Scizor.
- All sets B+. There wasn't a huge verdict on the Sub + Endeavor > SR + 3 Attacks at this time, but we agreed that all three sets have roughly the same viability.
- Meant to rename Mold Breaker to Focus Sash. Thanks for the catch.
- Added Sap Sipper, for now under Belly Drum but open to moving.
/
- Added both (Swords Dance).

I'd like to nom OTR Magearna up to A-(or A), it is actually a really effective late-game cleaner and can still take on stuff like specs lele relatively well, which sg fails to do.

defensive scarf lando should def be added, i would say like a+ is good for it, but its up to debate ig, add it either way tho. also i think that tank chomp should definitely have a place here because it is one of the best checks to stuff like kart and lucha that you can fit on bo and it is also a great tran check for bo and it is a great rocker too

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
We just made a lot of major updates today. I'm not going to list them all for the sake of brevity, but there's still work to be done. The four of us are still working on updating the lower ranks and bringing Sets VR into compliance with the official Viability Rankings.

Also announcing that we'll no longer be ranking Pokemon below B- on the standard Viability Rankings. Most of the those Pokemon only have one set, and ranking them takes up space and effort, and is not ultimately very useful.

We'll be reading the thread more closely in the future, so feel free to make nominations. We will consider them when we update the Sets VR.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Tank regular Garchomp to C+ or higher (insert C++ joke here); it’s the only Garchomp set I’ve actually found an excuse to run on any team in about 2 or 3 months, and it’s rlly nice option for BO that helps to provide role compression between Lando's role as a bulky Ground-type while providing a pretty solid way of patching up an awkward Heatran MU to boot, which is all in all a pretty useful attribute to have. Being able to punish contact is also super cool but it’s mainly a case of its role compression giving it a major reason for use over Lando, and it’s also nice to not have to sacc a moveslot to not be Lucha bait given that it runs DTail anyway.

Last edited:
nomming defensive scarf defensive lando for A+ or S because it is a super great fast pivot and set up sweeper check. i dont want to elaborate too much, but it is basically a hybrid of the two best sets so...

I'd like to nom SubSD Tapu Bulu to B+ as it this set is honestly really good in the current meta. You can sub on switches when they try to bring in other mons, and at +2 this thing hits like a truck. Terrain + LO boosted horn leech is an amazing asset for bulu, and helps it to recover HP that it may have lost in trying to set up a sub. Super power lets it cover it's weakness to mons such as celesteela that try to switchin to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)