Ultra Sun & Moon OU Analysis Discussion

Personally, I think choice scarf garchomp should be in other options. It is legit deadweight against so many teams right now, bulkier teams especially. Getting locked into either ground or dragon moves is terrible in this meta. Choice scarf garchomp is outclassed by almost every other scarfer, and a voice scarf gives up all of Garchomps breaking potential, which is its main niche at the moment. Yes, Scarf Garchomp can pivot and revenge kill volcarona, but so can Nihilego and Keldeo.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Personally, I think choice scarf garchomp should be in other options. It is legit deadweight against so many teams right now, bulkier teams especially. Getting locked into either ground or dragon moves is terrible in this meta. Choice scarf garchomp is outclassed by almost every other scarfer, and a voice scarf gives up all of Garchomps breaking potential, which is its main niche at the moment. Yes, Scarf Garchomp can pivot and revenge kill volcarona, but so can Nihilego and Keldeo.
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. If the set is already there it doesn't get moved into Other Options, its placement in the ordering perhaps. If anything maybe a re-write when the new games come out.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. If the set is already there it doesn't get moved into Other Options, its placement in the ordering perhaps. If anything maybe a re-write when the new games come out.
Choice specs Keldeo used to be a set in the analysis now it’s in other options, the same goes for victini, offensive venusuar, automoze celesteela, and so on.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah older sets can be thrown into OO. We've done it before. Garchomp by itself is really falling a lot in viability and is deadweight in many match ups, so QC decided on just making Scarf one of the last sets in the set order.

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The Scolipede analysis is in need of a revamp as it only mentions the Swords Dance set and not the hazard setting one that's the reason it's still ranked.
Nah it is still ranked because of its SD set. I'm not sure why it has a hazard set on the VR sets, because it shouldn't.

Reuniclus's page could use a few changes
  • it mentions mons like Pyukumuku(OO) and Terrakion (overview) when stuff like PuP/Encore Lopunny and Ash-Gren are missing
  • mentions cm sableye (imo not a good set)
  • powerful physical attackers that could break through could use a mention (like pinsir, bulu,etc.)
  • volcarona could use a mention under bug types
  • reuniclus dislikes pursuit as well

On the serperior analysis, it mentions tornadus therian as a common threat Serperior should watch out for. While not entirely irrelevant with it having decent success in snake, it should be replaced with a more common and/or relevant threat like Mega venusuar.

Ninetails-Alola analysis:
"Moonblast is an option for for hitting Dark- and Fighting-types super effectively, notably 2HKOing Tyranitar, which can block Aurora Veil attempts with Sand Stream, and OHKOing Greninja if it attempts to switch in on Aurora Veil."
I checked that out on the Calculator, and actually it 2HKOs Greninja after hail damage with that set (248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe, Timid Nature)

Could rotom wash get a mention in the roost + 3 attacks charizard x set? Rotom W is a pretty good defogger in its own right, as it can threaten Landorus and Toxapex. Rotom W also lures grass types in for Charizard x to take advantage of. Rotom W can also take on rain teams that charizard hates. Charizard can also take on hazard setters Rotom can not, Ferrothorn in particular.

Gary

Could rotom wash get a mention in the roost + 3 attacks charizard x set? Rotom W is a pretty good defogger in its own right, as it can threaten Landorus and Toxapex. Rotom W also lures grass types in for Charizard x to take advantage of. Rotom W can also take on rain teams that charizard hates. Charizard can also take on hazard setters Rotom can not, Ferrothorn in particular.
I haven't gone through all the analysis and made changes to them yet for USM. I'll keep this in mind though.

On the celesteela analysis, I would add Rotom Wash to the Other electric types section in C&C. Rotom Wash has no trouble pivoting celesteela and either gaining momentum with volt switch, getting a pain split, or even burning celesteela.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This thread is also now open for Ultra Sun Moon Implementation of changes. This can be used for small changes that need to be made on analyses not currently in the Reservation.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uxie, Cresselia, and TR Magearna should mention Stakataka as a partner in team options
Definitely agree with the first two. Magearna I haven't used Stakataka with but it's probably fine. I'll do Uxie / Cresselia later today at the least to get that rolling.

Edit: done all 3.

Last edited:
Does scald really deserve a mention on the Tapu Fini analysis? It is pretty much common knowledge right now that defog is Tapu Finis main niche, so I don’t think it should be slashed. Non defog sets are so hilariously outclassed that I would never take one with me in a serious battle.

I would suggest a small change in Mantine's EV spread. With the current spread in Smogon Dex, Specs Blacephalon kills Mantine 1/3 times with rocks up, so I thought that the EV spread could be optimizated in order to counter this threat:

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic
- Haze / Toxic

Current spread
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 124+ SpD Mantine: 136-162 (36.4 - 43.4%) -- 33.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Suggested spread
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

With this spread, Mantine counters Choice Specs Blacephalon, mon who is a shit ton threatening for fat balance, making it a reliable answer to it. However, this come at exchange of good chunk of physical bulk.

Another way it could be run 220 in SpD to full counter Ash-Ninja with rocks up (if it don't flinch tho)
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Mantine: 127-151 (34 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Was reading the Hippowdon analysis and,
“Hippowdon's phenomenal bulk coupled with a solid typing and access to some good support moves in Stealth Rock, Whirlwind, and Slack Off allow it to act as a really good blanket check to some common threats such as Mega Pinsir, Zygarde, Mega Mawile, and Bisharp.”
Bisharp isn’t very common ATM so i would replace it with Tyranitar.
That new Mantine spread also seems like a good idea to implement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)