SPOILERS! Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon In-Game Discussion

From what I have read, you can skip out on catching Blacephalon/Stakataka by running or KOing them and you can still progress with the story. Apparently they will be available for capture again after you complete the Rainbow Rocket storyline. Can anyone confirm this? I would love to be able to go for the right one after I have the PC Judge function available...

From what I have read, you can skip out on catching Blacephalon/Stakataka by running or KOing them and you can still progress with the story. Apparently they will be available for capture again after you complete the Rainbow Rocket storyline. Can anyone confirm this? I would love to be able to go for the right one after I have the PC Judge function available...
Not even that. All you have to do is either KO or flee from them, let the RR arc start, then head back to Poni Grove. They'll still be there, so you can just save, and keep trying to cap them until you get that Lonely nature one with less than 15 IV's in defense or something. Don't have to wait until the RR story is finished, even, just once the cutscenes to begin it are done.

Anyway, interesting to see the U-Necro tactics. I personally am too cheap to sacrifice something costing 48BP even if Mantine Surf makes it easy.

I'm interested to see how Nuzlocke players will get past this....
For knowledge, we did not farm BP for the Sash, the "route kahuna" in Poni gives you one :)

I don't think there's any realistic way to Nuzlocke USUM without resorting to grind levels hard, and even there, it looks extremely hard to do.

Not even that. All you have to do is either KO or flee from them, let the RR arc start, then head back to Poni Grove. They'll still be there, so you can just save, and keep trying to cap them until you get that Lonely nature one with less than 15 IV's in defense or something. Don't have to wait until the RR story is finished, even, just once the cutscenes to begin it are done.
Wait, what? You can?

*sigh* And the second Blacephalon I caught had the wrong Hidden Power because I thought you didn't have a second chance and I didn't want to get through all the cutscenes again...

Well, whatever, that one's going to a friend of mine (who was coincidentally stuck trying to get a 15 Def Lonely Stakataka in exchange for that Blacephalon, for the same reasons) and I'm keeping the Hasty HP Grass one :P

EDIT: What's with Wicke and her giving you a Malasada practically every time you come across her? Is she actually one of Hau's relatives? lol

Last edited:
Didn't expect Ghetsis to be the highlight of the game but wew lad. Also I found it awesome that GBA Armani Archie and Maxie are still canon, I didn't like ORAS as much as the originals. The new Pokémon in the routes were interesting choices, Buneary in the first route, Inkay and Zorua not soon after. They basically listened to all my gripes with the originals. Loved this game and would put it 3rd after Emerald and Heart Gold.

I've just reached the Battle Tree and (thanks to a bunch of Helioptile I had bred beforehand) got the IV Judge and... well, it's actually better than in SM because of the different background color. Makes it easier to distinguish between two consecutive EV values (such as between 29 and 30, where it was perhaps most jarring) as there's more contrast between the hexagon and the background. Case in point:

Moon in the left side, Ultra Sun in the right side. I nearly got a starter with four IVs at 31 =(

I've also finished the RR Episode. It was short, but it was worth it, and the Festival Plaza design you get at the beginning is pretty good.

(Lillie's still worthless beyond being a healer, though)

For knowledge, we did not farm BP for the Sash, the "route kahuna" in Poni gives you one :)

I don't think there's any realistic way to Nuzlocke USUM without resorting to grind levels hard, and even there, it looks extremely hard to do.
I do know that. Still, to me it's still worth 48BP (or I'd say she gave us free 48BP), so I wouldn't use it, unless Triples which I was very good at in Battle House is there.

Or soft resetting to have the Focus Band (which came with the Dusk Rockruff) activated.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So, time for my first bout of post game stuff, mainly Stakataka and Episode RR.

Stakatakatakataka...:
Just entered post game and already throwing special mons at me. Thanks to some prior warning via this thread, I knew Wicke was going to give me Type: Null here so I saved and SRed until I got a decent Nature one. Then came the Stakataka (what's the point of giving them a code name if we're not going to use it?) and took a while but I got a decent nature one and traded the second for a Blacephalon soon after. However after this I did decide to take a quick minute to transfer over my set of Synchronize Ralts. While they wouldn't have helped me here since there's natures are Modest, Adamant, Jolly, and Timid, I still figure they'll be useful for most of the other Legendaries (though maybe I should take some time after doing all the post game stuff to breeding 25 Ralts with all the Natures).

Episode RR:
So, we start with an invasion in Festival Plaza. It brings up a lot more questions about how exactly Festival Plaza works (so it's a cyberspace thing? How the people inside the Castle real people or programs, because the latter seems to be implied). I liked that we had to use the Battle Agency in order to battle Team Rocket, though kind of wished the game let me figure out the answer instead of having a Rocket Grunt tell me blankly that's what they use (since they're still incompetent and accidentally prevented themselves from using their Pokemon). But we defeat them, day is saved, and now I have a Team Rainbow Rocket castle as my castle because I hadn't unlocked the feature to change my castle yet in my Festival Plaza (or at least I couldn't find the option).

Mom's laziness continues as she taught Meowth how to turn on the TV. Oh, sure, she says Meowth learned it on its own by watching her but we all know the truth...

But good thing it did as we then get to see an Aether Foundation press conference go south as Rainbow Rocket invades. Lillie comes running in and we set off to Aether Foundation. First thing I learned their: you can now buy Beast Balls for 1k. Well, guess I don't got to debate with myself if I should reset if one breaks now. And geez, Wicke, how much Malasada do you have? I think she gave me, like, 3 in one scene. Do I look like Hau? Speaking of which, where is Hau? And the other Captains and Kahuna? Not one of them was watching the broadcast, or heard Wicke's emergency announcement?

And its official, Lillie is a Pokemon Trainer!... She only has a Clefairy they didn't really do much and she went back to being a healer afterwards. Baby steps, I suppose (we'll also ignore I didn't get Nebby yet so she should still have it...).

Now, throughout the game I was severely overleveled so I kind of breezed through the main game. But boy, did they sure make up for the level gap! Out of all characters, Faba was the first one I had trouble with! Well, not at first, it was his last Pokemon, Bruxish, that starting sweeping my team! It knocked out my Salamence(!) and Lurantis until Metagross knocked it out. Did he have a Choice Band on it or something? However that battle did teach me on thing: there's major money to be made. I had activated a Roto Prize Money as I was figured there was plenty of grunts to battle (that plus Lucky Coin means each grunt gives 10k each) and it lasted into the Faba Battle. I had Lycanroc use Happy Hour in the battle and the resulting cash prize was 210k and change! And that's not just Faba, all the villain leaders, with a combination of Roto Prize Money + Lucky Coin + Happy Hour, nets you over 200k in prize money (I think you get over 1.5 mil by doing this for all of them, not counting the grunts)! I was happy, though probably not Lycanroc, he kind of ate a lot of hits and got KO a few times (don't look at me like that, I gave it plenty of Poke Beans afterwards... well, three since that's its limit, but I gave it pets... as well as my other Pokemon... I'M A GOOD AND KIND TRAINER, SHUT UP!).

And spoke too soon about not exploring the Aether mansion, though since it got twisted by Rainbow Rocket I guess we still didn't technically explore it. However I was satisfied with the answer to why the other team villains were listening to Giovanni: Not only were they JUST about to complete their goals, they also aren't listening to him and perfectly plan on making our dimension into an ideal version of there's.
Archie and Maxie were okay, though I see why they went with their old designs: since they were giving them their Legendaries, this version of Archie and Maxie wouldn't have the Primals that their ORAS counterparts would. I liked the banter between the two about how they remembered the other grovelling at their feet until they warped back to their dimension.
So, did Lysandre have an Ultimate Weapon with him or did he set up that switch thing for no other reason but to mess with the intruder? Also did pressing the red switch first change anything? I pressed the blue because originally that was the button which Xerosic said did stop the Ultimate Weapon if they didn't have an override.
Cyrus was slightly more interesting as he had some conversation with the Rotom Dex. Also his "switch" was using the Galactic Key on it, which broke as soon as we did. Talk about adding in superfluous items...
Ghetsis was the most amusing. Pretty much doing what he did except setting up Giovanni as the king (good luck with that Ghetsis). And he did think to actually take one of my allies hostage to force me to surrender (you know, Rainbow Rocket, if you sent in at one or two more goons than you could have probably overwhelmed Guzma...). But hey, we get character development for Colress (we also learn that he apparently had been working for Team Plasma before B2W2) in a rather cool scene and reveals he's been the one warping everyone back to their home dimension.

And that leave Giovanni and, oh boy. Now I mostly was able to take care of the other leader handily with a few problems here and there, but man, when Giovanni sent Mega Mewtwo Y out the real battle began! Tried one shoting it with Salamence using the Dark Z-Move but got taken out before it could. Thought my Starter could tank a hit but nope. But as always, Metagross saves the day. After a Roto Boost it tanked and was able to Meteor Mash its way to victory.

And so that's the end. It was a fun post game adventure though only for the nostalgia. Could have been more, it doesn't match the Looker Missions in XY or the Delta Episode in story, but certainly gave you tough battles which I'm glad to have had (though this will probably be a killer for Nuzlockes). I was kind of hoping that, since Giovanni kidnapped Lusamine, we'd maybe also get to see Mother Beast Lusamine but they probably decided 1.5 mil was enough money. Also, they never really explained how Giovanni discovered/control the wormholes. Also, this Giovanni never faced Red... yet at the same time Team Rocket still collapsed as he said Rainbow Rocket would be stronger than Team Rocket? Well, eitherway, now we have a Timelord Giovanni who can warp through the multiverse spreading evil (because that's TOTALLY what Giovanni's character was about...).

Hmm, anything else. Well I enjoyed the grunts dialogue. Especially the ones who were forming the wall who ranged from being proud they were part of a human wall, begging us to leave so they could stop being a human wall, or saying their pay would be docked if they didn't join in being part of a human wall. Hope someone records all their dialogue, some of the quotes could go on the Funny Quotes thread.

For completion, Lysandre's switches are identical. As you can imagine there's no actual Ultimate weapon since he's no longer in his own dimension, this dimension's Lysandre got stopped and the weapon dismantled, he's just toying with you. Also his Mienshao was a stupidly difficult to deal with for me, expecially with all the bug weakness I had. I had to mindgame it by making it HJK into Lycanroc just to swap into Decidueye and have it kill itself.

I'm also glad I was not the only one who got almost swept by that Bruxish, though in my case Malamar was able to basically deal 1v6 with everything before that thanks to Superpower and the spam of Snarl/Intimidate, and barely lived the Bruxish damage to begin with. I'd think it's Strong Jaw which justifies why it does so much damage (that and being 252 252 31x6 obviously)

I was happy that I took my time to obtain a Gardevoirite before jumping in TRR episode with my leveling team: without Mega Gardevoir, I'm quite confident both Mega Gyarados and MegaMewtwo X would have happily demolished my entire team

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
On the other hand, the "route kahunas" give you the items needed to expand your strategies and teach you in battle how the items work so the cheap and unsatisfying is subjective and a kid playing through it may not instantly make the connection but discovering it while trying to beat a hard boss could be pretty satisfying. I know I always catch a few pokemon with sturdy and status moves just to throw at a difficult totem pokemon and sacrifice them on the altar of progress.
Except "route kahunas" give you TMs in USUM, not battle moves.

Lysandre was easy as it gets for me. Archie's Kyogre was what fucked me up good. Rain boosted Hydro Pump (?) is no joke. Palkia was also a decent threat because its typing is so good. My Unaware Quagsire basically handled everything else, though it eventually became overleveled by Giovanni.

Last edited:
I've noticed that depending on which version you have, Lysandre, Cyrus and Giovanni pose different challenge due to the legendary they have.

If you don't have something to stop setup for example on Ultrasun, Xerneas might very well demolish you after Geomancy completes. On other hand, MegaMewtwo Y on Ultrasun being that fast means that if you don't have priority to kill him right away your party is up for a disaster.

p.s. I Z-steelium Xerneas face before it could do anything. Rip it.

I've noticed that depending on which version you have, Lysandre, Cyrus and Giovanni pose different challenge due to the legendary they have.

If you don't have something to stop setup for example on Ultrasun, Xerneas might very well demolish you after Geomancy completes. On other hand, MegaMewtwo Y on Ultrasun being that fast means that if you don't have priority to kill him right away your party is up for a disaster.

p.s. I Z-steelium Xerneas face before it could do anything. Rip it.
I lucked out against Lysandre as Xerneas got fully paralyzed in the second Geomancy turn. I'll be honest, I got worried once I read it was about to use Geomancy (partly because I was forgetting Geomancy had a charging turn, but whatever).

On the other hand, Dialga could OHKO anything in my team with Roar of Time (thank goodness for the recharge turn) and Zekrom was more annoying than threatening due to its bulk.

Dialga almost 1v6d me as well, I don't strictly remind how I dealt with it. I think megagarde was simply able to tank one hit and kill him during Roar of Time recharge.

So, we start with an invasion in Festival Plaza. It brings up a lot more questions about how exactly Festival Plaza works (so it's a cyberspace thing? How the people inside the Castle real people or programs, because the latter seems to be implied).
Festival Plaza is most probably a Pokemon Trainer channel or something like an MMO virtual reality game. All the staff (bar Sophocles) as well as those that run the shops are NPCs while everyone else is using some kind of in-app avatar.

Due to me limiting use of Primarina, Maxie was a bit of challenge. But Archie and his whale got their face mopped on the floor with AloRaichu.

Now, I reset it before Lys because I haven't caught those pesky balls, but anyway, nothing is more satisfying here than hearing Nebby smashing Xerneas with super-effective Solgaleo-Z. As badly fanfic-y as it sounds, I love breaking them with my own cover legendary. And good thing, I also got Lopunite first and even after Intimidation, she could still OHKO that Gyarados.

It is actually Cyrus that comes to be most interesting, actually having RotomDex to converse with him and remaining stoic in all of his expressions. Lys' trick is old, I feel like objecting his psychological kick trick since there's no way he could have made the Ultimate Weapon that quick anyway. And I know everyone in my team wants to rearrange Ghetsis' face very badly.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It is actually Cyrus that comes to be most interesting, actually having RotomDex to converse with him and remaining stoic in all of his expressions. Lys' trick is old, I feel like objecting his psychological kick trick since there's no way he could have made the Ultimate Weapon that quick anyway. And I know everyone in my team wants to rearrange Ghetsis' face very badly.
Yeah, thinking about it they missed an opportunity I think to relate their goals to Alola. Because aside from Cyrus talking with Rotom Dex and Ghetsis thinking about making Giovanni the king, did Archie, Maxie, or Lysandre have any impact other than being bosses? Archie would have like Alola as it's probably close to what he imagines his ideal world is, mostly ocean with a few scattered islands for land dwellers to live (heck, same could be said for the Aether Paradise which is a big manmade floating structure which houses it's own artificial environment), using it as proof his ideal is right. Maxie could have pointed out that despite all this water, the small amount of land that exists is filled with life and would ask how much more life would come forth if there was more land. Lysandre would be taken by Alola's beauty but even here will see humans and Pokemon potentially ruining it (people wanting to make massive commercial supermarkets, Pokemon like the Tapu or Ultra Beasts causing random destruction at their own whim, he may even take offense from the Aether Paradise as man disrupting the oceans to help Pokemon). I would suggest that keeping them at the Aether Paradise also limited them, but creating additional building assets probably would have taken too much time (I'm curious what Cyrus would have thought about Ultra Space and the Ultra Recon Squad's people).

Also, unless the Ultimate Weapon was brought along with Lysandre, the Ultimate Weapon should be destroyed in USUM's timeline *points to adult Dexio and Sina*.

Does anyone know where to get multiple evolution stones, I know where the leaf thunder and water stones can be bought but are the other ones available to buy?

I don't know if this has been posted (a quick search yielded no results), but I just found this and I'm not sure if it's the same in the English version. You can unlock this event by speaking to the Morimoto Shigeki character at the Game Freak office in Heahea City after becoming champion and having a Pokemon from Gold/Silver Virtual Console transferred over.

金銀で データの 圧縮に
困っていたら とても
便利な プログラムを 作って
助けてくれた 人が いたんだ
その人は そののち 有名な
社長さんに なったよ
"He created a convenient program for us when we were troubled over the compression of data in Gold and Silver. That person later became a famous president of the company."

Without a doubt, this is a shoutout to Iwata Satoru. R.I.P.

I don't know if this has been posted (a quick search yielded no results), but I just found this and I'm not sure if it's the same in the English version. You can unlock this event by speaking to the Morimoto Shigeki character at the Game Freak office in Heahea City after becoming champion and having a Pokemon from Gold/Silver Virtual Console transferred over.

"He created a convenient program for us when we were troubled over the compression of data in Gold and Silver. That person later became a famous president of the company."

Ah, I recall this too. If I recall correctly, in the datamine there's also someone with this similar dialogue in English. It is a small yet very kind addition, R I P....

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

It's in the English version, Kotaku had an article on it. Actually Kotaku has had a few USUM articles which I plan to look over when I'm "fully" done with the post game content

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)