Base Stats:
HP - 60
Attack- 78
Defense - 135
Sp. Atk - 91
Sp. Def - 85
Speed - 36

Abilities:
Shell Armor - Opponent's moves cannot critically hit.

Movepool:

Level Up;
0 - Ember
0 - Tackle
5 - Smog
9 - Protect
13 - Incinerate
17 - Flail
21 - Endure
25 - Iron Defense
29 - Flamethrower
33 - Body Slam
37 - Shell Smash
41 - Dragon Pulse
45 - Shell Trap
49 - Overheat
53 - Explosion

TM;
01 - Work Up
02 - Dragon Claw
05 - Roar
06 - Toxic
08 - Bulk Up
09 - Venoshock
10 - Hidden Power
11 - Sunny Day
12 - Taunt
15 - Hyper Beam
17 - Protect
21 - Frustration
22 - Solar Beam
23 - Smack Down
26 - Earthquake
27 - Return
32 - Double Team
35 - Flamethrower
38 - Fire Blast
39 - Rock Tomb
42 - Facade
43 - Flame Charge
44 - Rest
45 - Attract
48 - Round
50 - Overheat
52 - Focus Blast
56 - Fling
57 - Charge Beam
59 - Brutal Swing
61 - Will-O-Wisp
64 - Explosion
66 - Payback
68 - Giga Impact
71 - Stone Edge
78 - Bulldoze
82 - Dragon Tail
87 - Swagger
88 - Sleep Talk
90 - Substitute
91 - Flash Cannon
100 - Confide

Egg Moves;
Wide Guard
Revenge
Head Smash
Fire Spin

Analysis:
One of the most noticeable things about Turtonator is its similarity to Torkoal, 4 generations older. Like Torkoal, it has great all-around bulk, especially on the physical side, average offensive stats, and cripplingly low speed. Both turtle Pokemon are bulky Fire types with Shell Armor and access to Will-O-Wisp, Shell Smash, and Overheat among other moves of varying usefulness. However there are a few things that give the new shelled shocker an advantage over his Hoenn ancestor. Among these are its good defensive typing, its near-unresisted STAB combination and higher special attack allowing it to threaten more opponents than Torkoal with a combination of Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor and Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat, and access to its own unique move in Shell Trap, a Special Fire move with extremely high power that acts like a combination of Counter and Focus Punch.

Sample Movesets:

Wallbreaker
Turtonator @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat / Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon / Earthquake / Stone Edge
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon / Earthquake / Stone Edge
Fire/Dragon is one of those famous unresisted STAB combinations, with a few exceptions - Rock/Fairy and Water/Fairy both resist it. Thus, few opponents can handle many Specs-boosted Overheats or Draco Meteors. Carbink and Diancie, two of those that can endure such punishment, get shut down by Flash Cannon, and Focus Blast / Earthquake allows for additional power against specific targets such as Empoleon and Heatran. This set is designed to put large dents in teams for sweepers to capitalise on.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Turtonator Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 320-378 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Choice Specs Turtonator Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 464-548 (192.5 - 227.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Turtonator Overheat vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 330-388 (103.4 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anti-Physical
Turtonator @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Shell Trap
- Taunt
Game Freak has gifted Turtonator with many tools to threaten physical attackers. Burning them is always an option, but the power of Shell Trap should never be underestimated.

4 SpA Turtonator Shell Trap vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Absol-Mega: 225-265 (83 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Turtonator Shell Trap vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Conclusions:
Though externally Turtonator seems like a rehashed version of Torkoal, they essentially fill entirely different roles. Torkoal's access to Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock, and Yawn allows it to simultaneously fill the bulkier roles of Rocks Lead and Hazard Clearer. Turtonator loses out on all three of these moves, in exchange for more offensive presence. It is doubtful that Turtonator will be very effective in OU or even UU due to its terrible speed and mediocre unboosted offensive stats, but it may find niches in RU and NU.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right thread but Turtonator is bugged in Gen 7 OU in Showdown.

Z-move Shell Trap does not work like in the game. In the game Z-move Shell Trap does not have the Shell Trap properties at all, it's simply a HUGE BP fire move. It's quite good but one time use of course, any special wall will tank it.

I was really looking forward to playing him but in all honesty he is too weak.

I don't know if this is the right thread but Turtonator is bugged in Gen 7 OU in Showdown.

Z-move Shell Trap does not work like in the game. In the game Z-move Shell Trap does not have the Shell Trap properties at all, it's simply a HUGE BP fire move. It's quite good but one time use of course, any special wall will tank it.

I was really looking forward to playing him but in all honesty he is too weak.
I don't think any offensive Z moves copy the properties of the base move.

4 SpA Turtonator Shell Trap vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Shield: 164-194 (50.6 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
I am assuming this calculation was only included to show how strong uninvested Shell Trap is against a mon with 60/150/150 defenses, but since it only activates when Turtonator is hit by a physical attack, Aegislash will always be in Attack form if it gets hit by Turtonator, at which point it 1HKOs even max special defense Aegislash:
4 SpA Turtonator Shell Trap vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Aegislash-Blade: 324-384 (100 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'be been using Shell Smash on this thing. Not fantastic but it works alright. It gets decent speed after a boost and STAB, +2 Fire Blast is a nuke.

Here's the Turtonator I've been using, so far with success

Turtonator @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Draco Meteor/Rest
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Shell Trap
- Flash Cannon/Rest

Similar idea to your anti-physical set but with more offensive options and more flexibility since you aren't forced to wait on a physical attack that may never come in order to use Shell Trap. Draco is of course nice to bop something like a Kommo-o, Garchomp, etc. Flamethrower over Shell Trap so you're not tied to being hit by a physical move, which means you can also attack (and possibly burn) switch-ins. Fire Blast could work too depending on how much power you want, I use Flamethrower because missing sucks. Flash Cannon allows Turtonator to handle Mimikyu very nicely, plus it's a good special coverage move to handle possible incoming Rock types. Chesto-Rest-o isn't something I've messed with yet, but if I were to I'd put Rest over Draco as Turtonator isn't really a Dragon answer. Plus, it's special then becomes pretty pitiful.

Of course the big strategy with Turtonator is to come in on the myriad of threats this thing stops including Pheromosa, Scizor, defensive/support Dhelmise, Magnezone/Magneton, non-Stone Edge Tapu Bulu, Aegislash (I assume), Mimikyu, and non-EQ Buzzwoles. From there, fire off Will-O's every time. If they switch, let's say, into Dugtrio then it's burned and Turtonator suddenly beats it 1-on-1. If they stay, great they probably aren't doing much anyway and are now crippled.

I thin Turtonator's biggest asset right now is the general lack of Fire types running around too much. Good defensive Fire types are very anti-meta right now, and some teams aren't even ready for it at all. Had one guy forfeit when I brought it in because his team simply didn't have an answer for it. I think once everything calms down Turtonator will likely end up UU simply because Fire-Dragon is a phenomenal defensive typing and Turtonator has the bulk to handle non-STAB Rock, Ground, and Dragon coverage moves. I could maybe see it slip down to RU, but that's doubtful. Use it now while it's likely at its best as a check to some threats that might not be around later.

One more note I'd like to make, and I apologize for the double post, but there are a lot of good teaming options for Turtonator. Celesteela and Skarmory have near perfect synergy with Turtonator as both resist or are immune to Dragon and Ground, and take neutral from Rock. Turtonator meanwhile covers both of their weaknesses perfectly, especially when specially bulky, in Fire and Electric. Tapu Bulu is a good partner as well since Turtonator handles Fire and Steel very well while Bulu handles Dragon and Ground while also being able to bop Rock types. Dhelmise is one I've been using with some success as well.

Lastly, Turtonator has a key Electric resistance as well which allows it to handle Xurkitree fairly well as, barring any bizarre HP Ground/Rock/Dragon sets, none of its coverage moves hit Turtonator super effectively.

If only this thing got drought instead of Torkoal.

It will drop to PU when the meta really takes off but be an excellent threat there, most likely.

Is it possible to breed Wide guard unto Turtonator right now through a more complicated chain? I'm new to chaining.
But the suggested chain on Bulbapedia says Alomola>Mudkip>Shieldon>Turtonator

Of course Mudkip is unavailable, so my question is can you take a more roundabout route?

Is it possible to breed Wide guard unto Turtonator right now through a more complicated chain? I'm new to chaining.
But the suggested chain on Bulbapedia says Alomola>Mudkip>Shieldon>Turtonator

Of course Mudkip is unavailable, so my question is can you take a more roundabout route?
Doesnt appear to be an alternative atm. I think you can go straight from mudkip to to turtonator though

Turtonator can also be used as a threat on a hazard stacking team but i think the best set is within its secret niche of being a trapper due to its typing it an come in on a ton of things in UU but since it isn't the heaviest hitter people don't expect much from it so it can make good bait to catch a quick kill or set up.

Trap Turtle (Turtonator) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp/ Toxic / Bulldoze
- Fire Spin
- Dragon Tail
- Shell Trap/Flamethrower/Fire blast/Overheat

The main move on this is Fire Spin since it allows the turtle to bait or trap anything that thinks it can wall it or kill it (this will not work too well in OU due to everything running surprise EQ for Toxapex). Turtonator also if you see anything that another team member can't body quickly enough or you know will set up in your face bring out the D Tail on the switch (this is where the hazard stack comes in) now your opponent is possibly standing on T Spikes, Rocks, or Spikes and taking tons of damage. Now lets say your opponent doesn't have a counter but a solid switch like say... Charizard Y and you used Fire Spin fire spin is doing 1/8 its HP each turn and being unable to switch for a guaranteed 2 turns (or up to 5) that gives you a turn to switch into something to man handle the life out of it on your team. As for the team members that cover Turtonator's issues (mainly kill power and "coverage", and speed) Claydol (Suicide/rocks/spinner) it also resists rock and ground so free rocks or spin.
as for the offensive side I would suggest any water type that can "sweep"
*cough*Feraligatr,Golduck,Kingler,Bruxish,etc*cough*. Then as for just other things that can make your opponent flip tables you can use powerful revenge killers like Golisopod it just so happens to be the hardest hitting instant Aqua Jet and has extra extra priority for other E Speeders, but that's not it the special part is that this man Golisopod with a red card is one giant F U to any set up sweeper so you can sit there and Fire Spin and Will O' Wisp and not worry about anything because the Hard hitting First Impression/Aqua Jet will leave them staggering and then the extra set up cancel due to the switch you can either swap again or if your team happens to be hazard stacking you can sit there and throw spikes and until you exit or die. (Keep in mind that E - Exit happens after the red card so you switch advantage) as for a replay example...http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankuualpha-502015002

This set is going to be op when these 3 go down to RU....

I think we're underestimating the max HP/max Sp.Def set. I'll have to play some Showdown to post replays, but online he gets very solid work done. The defensive typing is very nice and using Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Will o Wisp and Shell Trap is pretty filthy. He won't get hurt by much specially and his huge natural Defense + Burn and Shell Trap makes him hard to take down physically, too. He obviously needs Rapid Spin/Defog support. He isn't OU or maybe even UU, but he's definitely *not* going to land in PU, like was said above. I think he's been most underrated gen 7 Pokemon.

It literally gets shell smash tho
Not that the Shell Smash set is too good either. With base 36 speed even max investment at +2 is slower than most of the faster threats and practically all of the common scarfers. And Turtonator doesn't really hit hard enough to break through slower walls either.

Not that the Shell Smash set is too good either. With base 36 speed even max investment at +2 is slower than most of the faster threats and practically all of the common scarfers. And Turtonator doesn't really hit hard enough to break through slower walls either.
Timid +2 Turtonator outruns Modest (but not Timid) Jolteon. That's base 130's not being fast enough. That leaves a good deal of Scarfers faster than you, but your natural bulk should stop that unless you're low. And at +2 your Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast hurt.

Oh i didn't know it had shellsmash....but at least when RU comes out Turton8r could be hype....maybe NU considering Kyurem B and Togekiss are in UU.....then again Wishfish is still a thing....maybe we need a new tier. since gen 5 has 5 tiers and gen 6 has 6 gen 7 should have 7 just to continue the dank trend!

also Crustle is a wayyyyy better option for shellsmash due to the weak armor buff you legit outspeed like everything if your opponent chokes. sadly no priority :C

Timid +2 Turtonator outruns Modest (but not Timid) Jolteon. That's base 130's not being fast enough. That leaves a good deal of Scarfers faster than you, but your natural bulk should stop that unless you're low. And at +2 your Dragon Pulse and Fire Blast hurt.
Who the hell actually runs Modest Jolteon? Max speed Turtonator gets outsped by anything faster than base 121 or scarfed base 65.

Who the hell actually runs Modest Jolteon? Max speed Turtonator gets outsped by anything faster than base 121 or scarfed base 65.
Jolteon was just for the example - neutral base 130 is a fast Pokemon. Scarf Pokemon are a hassle, but to say you're too slow to outrun anything is plain wrong. I don't think Shell Smash is Turtonator's best set, but it will take things by surprise and the natural bulk + defensive typing means he will easily dent teams at +2 speed and sp.att. Bulk only counts if you're running White Herb, obviously.

Jolteon was just for the example - neutral base 130 is a fast Pokemon. Scarf Pokemon are a hassle, but to say you're too slow to outrun anything is plain wrong. I don't think Shell Smash is Turtonator's best set, but it will take things by surprise and the natural bulk + defensive typing means he will easily dent teams at +2 speed and sp.att. Bulk only counts if you're running White Herb, obviously.
My point wasn't that Turtonator can't outspeed other pokémon. Its problem is that despite being decently fast at +2 (outspeeding even Torn-T) there are still tons of relevant pokémon that are faster such as Greninja or Tapu Koko and that's just too big of an obstacle to ignore for a pokémon that is forced to sacrifice either its defences or the item slot in order to sweep.

My point wasn't that Turtonator can't outspeed other pokémon. Its problem is that despite being decently fast at +2 (outspeeding even Torn-T) there are still tons of relevant pokémon that are faster such as Greninja or Tapu Koko and that's just too big of an obstacle to ignore for a pokémon that is forced to sacrifice either its defences or the item slot in order to sweep.
True, but can any of those faster Pokemon OHKO without getting OHKOed? That's the more important question. My guess is "hell yes" or else we'd be seeing a lot more Turtonator in OU right now lol

True, but can any of those faster Pokemon OHKO without getting KOed? That's the more important question. My guess is "hell yes" or else we'd be seeing a lot more Turtonator in OU right now lol
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Turtonator: 227-269 (86.9 - 103%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Turtonator: 222-263 (85 - 100.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Turtonator: 253-298 (96.9 - 114.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

These are all common pokémon that are faster than +2 Turtonator and they all can OHKO Turtonator with any kind of prior damage. Not to mention that the likes of Tapu Fini counter Turtonator hard.

Alola Athicus,

This is a fantastic thread but wouldn't a Quiet nature be a great option on the Choice Set? I mean, it's speed is already really bad so running the Quiet nature could really help out its Earthquake and Stone Edges (imo) ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)