Trademarked

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trademarked
Get your Trademark here!

So I submitted this like a year ago... Approved by TI / TEG.

Welcome to Trademarked! I decided to submit this because a lot of people in the OM room seemed to think it was interesting and different. Every Pokemon here gets a chance to get a "Trademark". This Trademark would be the new ability of the Pokemon, so if this is the set, Roost would be its Trademarked move. A Pokemon uses its new Trademark whenever it switches into battle. This is done to not make certain new abilities too good, but Trick Room still works as weather and Swords Dance as a pseudo Huge Power. Finally, Roar and Whirlwind will be banned because otherwise someone could keep switching to activate them. The Trademark will be used immediately after the switching, but it does wait until the opponent has switched as well, so that it will actually affect the opponent. The effects will still activate in the order of the switches. You may not use the Trademark as a move as well.

tl;dr: You can put a status move as your ability, which is activated upon switch-in.

Sample Pokemon Input Code:
Code:
Vibrava @ Eviolite
Ability: Roost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Outrage
- Defog
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Banlist: Only Ubers, Slaking and Regigigas as of now, Whirlwind, Roar, Block, Mean Look, Assist, Protect, Detect and Mat Block may not be used as a Trademark. A player may not have two Parting Shot / Baton Pass TMs.
Unbanlist: Nothing right now.
Clauses: Standard OU Clauses and Rulesets. Copycat as a Trademark would fail to copycat PShot, Baton Pass, Fake Out. Two Parting Shots, Two Baton Passes, or A Baton Pass +Parting Shot in one turn would fail, unless a Pokémon with one of these trademarks fainted that turn (Due to the trademark failing and the opponent killing it)
Council: No council as of now.

What's Buffed
  • Parting Shot. You can switch in and immediately use these moves, causing you to rarely be hit with a specific Pokemon, though you're not actually able to battle with it unless it's your last Pokemon.​
  • Pokemon that only need one turn to set up. They can get this setup while switching in now, so no need to actually set up afterwards. They still gotta watch out for the priority flying around though!​
  • Defog, Rapid Spin, Stealth Rock and Sticky Web. They can now be set without having to waste a turn and thus losing momentum. Pokemon just have to switch in and they appear on the field.​

Some Possible Sets
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Defog
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Substitute
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Return
- Healing Wish

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Quiver Dance
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Stealth Rock
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Breloom @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Spore
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch / Force Palm

What's Nerfed
  • Bulky Set-Up Sweeping. They need to set up in a more quick-paced metagame where they are easier to stop. It's usually better to use it as your Trademark.​
  • Pokemon who rely on old abilities. They are less notable because of all the new Trademarks, and are usually worse.​
Featured Replays
None yet.
PS: I'm up for banning stuff later, but I want to test everything (But Roar / Whirlwind) first, to see if they're controllable.​

Last edited:
A few quick questions.

Do the trademarked moves have to be status moves, or can they be attacking moves as well?

Does curse on a ghost type take off 50% of your own health? If it didn't, it would be really overpowered.

And if you want to be the guy that runs Smeargle with Geomancy as the ability, how does it work?

To make this post longer, I'll add my thoughts
Shell Smash mons seem to be very overpowered, as they usually get OHKOed or taken down to a sash. Now they don't even have to run it and they can fire off a super powerful attack and be able to tank one more hit than normal

Ex:
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shell Smash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
Might be a bad set, but Cloyster can be very powerful after a +2 Boost. Also getting rid of skill link will mean that Cloyster will be better running a special set.

Reactions: Mq

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A few quick questions.

Do the trademarked moves have to be status moves, or can they be attacking moves as well?

Does curse on a ghost type take off 50% of your own health? If it didn't, it would be really overpowered.

And if you want to be the guy that runs Smeargle with Geomancy, how does it work?

To make this post longer, I'll add my thoughts
Shell Smash mons seem to be very overpowered, as they usually get OHKOed or taken down to a sash. Now they don't even have to run it and they can fire off a super powerful attack and be able to tank one more hit than normal

Ex:
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shell Smash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
Might be a bad set, but Cloyster can be very powerful after a +2 Boost. Also getting rid of skill link will mean that Cloyster will be better running a special set.
Yes, Trademarked moves have to be Status moves. However, they can be like Copycat, Mirror Move, Assist, Metronome or Nature Power, so that a few moves could simulate an attack.

Yes, you just use the move on the switchin, so Curse takes their own health as well.

You use the move, so you just aren't able to move the second turn and instead spend it on getting the boosts.

Reactions: Mq
Growl has effectively identical functionality to Intimidate, which is completely outclassed by Charm in most circumstances, which in turn is outclassed by Iron Defense, Barrier, or Acid Armor in most circumstances. Iron Defense has a special counterpart in Amnesia as well.

Latias, Venusaur, Gardevoir, Gallade, Camerupt and Lopunny can all use trademarked Charm pre-mega and then Mega Evolve. Snorlax doesn't exactly have a BETTER ability to be running either. Blastoise, Scizor, Mawile (lol), Metagross, Tyranitar, Lucario (lol x2 combo), Diancie, Salamence (lol), and the incredibly terrifying SLOWBRO can all use trademarked Iron Defense before going Mega. Swampert can also use Barrier pre-mega, as could Mewtwo if that wasn't Ubers. Camerupt, Audino, and the now even more terrifying SLOWBRO can also use Amnesia pre-mega. While there are no mega evolutions that have Acid Armor, it should be noted that it's available on Goodra.

Malamar with Topsy-Turvy as its trademark could have an interesting niche in stopping the chaotic mess of setup that this metagame is. However, I'd argue that Medicham, Alakazam, Slowbro, Gardevoir, Altaria, Banette, Absol, Metagross, Lati@s, Gallade, Audino, Diancie or Sableye's pre-mega Psych Up could also do the trick in some cases. Alakazam is probably best because it can steal the opponent's trademarked boosts TWICE.

Last edited:

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
omg you're back :D

Archeops, Regigigas, and Slaking are going to have a field day. [Choice Item] + [setup move], too, though that's mitigated by what the above post said.

How does this interact with Mega Evolution?

[reposting bc i'm a nub]

Chansey with Soft-Boiled for its ability is going to be more stally than regular Chansey, wow
Wish sounds like a better option, in combination with Protect. You'd want to heal AFTER taking a hit, not before.

Archeops, Regigigas, and Slaking are going to have a field day. [Choice Item] + [setup move], too, though that's mitigated by what the above post said.

[reposting bc i'm a nub]
I'd assume the ability only affects the base and when you Mega Evolve you get the Mega's ability. Exactly how it works in normal Pokemon.

[reposting bc i'm a nub]
Slaking and Regigigas are banned.

An interesting move I could be see being used on many Pokemon is Knock Off. Basically just switch you Pokemon in and your opponent loses its item, unless said Pokemon has Sticky Hold or has a Mega Stone. Very useful to cripple your opponent on the get-go.

Otherwise, moves like Will-O-Wisp could be useful on Pokemon like Gardevoir to switch in a bit more easily, Shell Smash to become an immediate powerhouse, and any immediate recovery move would become a buffed Regenerator.

This sounds like an interesting metagame.

Wow this meta looks extremely fun. I may be crazy, but I think stall is going to have a field day here.

You get defog when you switch in, wish, heal bell, haze, etc. I'm going to start making some teams, and hopefully it gets implemented somewhere.

Edit: I may have missed something, but does the Pokemon have to get the move naturally to be able to use it as an ability?

Laxpras

One small yeet for man, one giant yeet for mankind
How will protect work? Can I put protect as my ability to have a free switchin? Also, I'm assuming once a mon mega evo's it gets its usual ability?

Mother fucker, you're gone for so long and your first action is to drop another totally awesome metagame :D

Damn, so I'm totally going to be running Safeguard stall, where I have a Pangoro in the back to pivot into every single time. You add a Slowking with Barrier in the mix as well? stall is going to be cash. Manaphy has a swell time, starting up at +3 with rain dance, energy ball, ice beam and scald...

A cool concept. I'm known as a stall hater, so there's some sets I thought of.

Hydreigon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Focus Energy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (idk what's the best spread for this)
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Superpower
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon

Haxorus @ Scope Lens
Ability: Focus Energy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Superpower
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab

Oh, so you are trying to boost your defenses? Or trying to lower my attack? Or burn me on switch in? How about no? Critical hits ignores your stat drop and opponent's defense boosts, so unless you have Lucky Chant or being a Mega Slowbro, any kind of Defense boosting moves will be useless in front of these mons.

Landorus-T @ Choice Band/Scarf
Ability: Rest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- U-turn/Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Oh, what an annoying crap. Not only you RECOVERED yourself to full health, you also HEALED yourself from annoying burns or poisons JUST BY SWITCHING IN. Anyway. Rest being Trademarked is actually a HUGE buff to resttalk sets because Sleep Talk CAN'T choose Rest. This is basically an auto-regen, auto-natural cure by switching in with the cost of carrying Sleep Talk. Pretty good for people who constantly gets annoyed by status or something.

Holy crap this is a great meta imo. Also Snaquaza <3

Anyways,

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Tail Glow
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot

Oh god.. +3 Manaphy on switch in..

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Belly Drum
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Superpower

yikes.

Pangoro
Ability: Parting Shot
- filler
- filler
- filler
- filler

LOL easy stat drops

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Feather Dance
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge

-2 Attack on switch in? Nice

I can't wait to see this meta grow..

What is also really effective is using a Pokemon with Perish Song and switching into one with Block/Mean Look/Spider Web for pseudo perish trapping. May be banworthy in my opinion

Just out of question, what stops me from running pangoro+Smeargle for parting shot spam? That seems stupidly broken.

On another note, does nature power count as an attack? I mean, it isn't, but it calls one and that seems against the spirit of the rules.
Wow that's a great point. I can run smeargle and pangoro and I'll never face anything below 6- in both offensive stats. Also Parting shot + Protect

Stall looks strong tbh. Something like TWave Trademark skarmory could be pretty nice as it stops most setup sweepers cold, bar Dual Dance LandoT if Skarm is sufficiently weakened. Also, by the way, Swords Dance Trademark LandoT has the possibility of getting to +4 in the matter of one turn, and that's REALLY scary with EdgeQuage + 145 base attack. Losing Intimidate is a bitch, but for stall smashing capabilities, Swords Dance Trade Mark LandoT is pretty damn scary looking. May we see Lum SD TM LandoT to decimate stall without worrying about TM Will-O? Only time and a ladder will tell I guess. Same could go for a Rock Polish set to terrorise offense but with SD to top it off, so you can have SD, Stealth Rock, and EdgeQuake to make a pretty good rocks setter that threatens offense up the ass. Nasty Plot Hoopa-C loooks LUDCIROUSLY terrifying in it's abilities to break stall, however, as with Life Orb it shits on stall due to ridiculous power and coverage, and it's specs sets alone (without NP, this is OU I'm talking about) with Modest already doesn't have much of anything in the way of theoretical counters, though Pursuit weakness is still annoying af so Arceus damnit BandVile stall will still be good. Speaking of Weavile...

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Swords Dance
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Low Kick

because fuck non double speed tm user offense amirite guys

Another thing to note is for the potential for Magic Coat as a TM, which creates an effect not entirely dissimilar to CAP's Rebound ability, though it works for more than stealth rocks. In the hands of a good player, you might not even need MSableye, freeing up a LOT of stall oriented opportunities, if this works that is. I'm 99% sure it does, because Magic Coat has +6 priority anyways, though.

Stall looks strong af because Safeguard and Magic Coat, true, but there's also a good number of stall crushers to take into consideration. Not just the boosting breakers I mentioned, but also the crit sets user Chopin Alkaninoff (did I tag that right?) mentioned to break shit like Iron Defense/Amnesia/Other assorted defensive capability boosting Trademarks. Speaking of their set ideas, rest looks strong af as another stallbreaking mechanism.

Sets proposed:
TM SD Landorus-T:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
Ability: Swords Dance
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish/Stealth Rock

Stealth Rock can be used over Rock Polish if you don't particularly care about threatening offense with Lando, but imo Rock Polish is usually preferable. LO can be used over Lum if you desperately crave that extra power, hell, you can even use Band if you desire, but Lum stops TM Will-O screwing you over.

Stall annihilator Hoopa-C:
Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Nasty Plot
Timid/Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt

Modest can be used if you hate stall that much or fear Haze users but Timid should be fine most times because of the sheer power of +2 Hoopa-C. Runs the same coverage as Specs Hoopa-C.

Of course, you can be cheap and use TG Manaphy, but Hoopa-C outspeeds stall anyways and has about as good coverage, if not better, along with almost as incredible power after NP. It also has the benefit of still being pretty gd threatening to stall anyways even if it is Hazed by Quag or something.

Just out of question, what stops me from running pangoro+Smeargle for parting shot spam? That seems stupidly broken.
Yeah, something may need to be done about that. It can be pretty dumb on stall tbh and absolutely neuters all the stallbreakers I proposed while making stall 1001 times better. That shit would FORCE you to run Crit sets to actually do any reasonable modicum of damage to a stall team after PangSmeargle drops. But hey, if you're playing stall, I guess you won't feel a pang of guilt for using it XP. Sorry, but that joke just had to be made.

Last edited:
question: can you use your "trademarked" moves normally as well? For example, can you have nasty plot trademarked on your togekiss and still have it on your moveslot?

Also trademarking thunder wave is going to be extremely annoying tbh

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Belly Drum
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Superpower
Unfortunately using Belly Drum as Azumarill's Trademarked move means that it's no longer able to run Huge Power, so it doesn't strike me as a particularly dangerous option for a Trademarked Belly Drum. That's not to say Trademarked Belly Drum + priority won't work as a whole, though: Linoone in particular (which has already been mentioned) has access to the combination of Belly Drum plus STAB Extreme Speed which becomes much more viable due to no longer needing to use up a turn to setup its Belly Drum, and while there are unfortunately no other on-STAB options Hariyama (Bullet Punch) and Magmar/Magmortar (Mach Punch) are also available.

Anyway, this is a really cool meta! Before I start posting sets though, I'd like to ask: Is this meta possible to code as it's detailed in the OP? I don't want to get overly hyped for it being playable if it needs significant changes in order to be playable, though I'll still theorymon since I do like the idea quite a bit.

... I hate to crush dreams, but I doubt that a meta allowing easy endless battles could get a permanent ladder. If your opponent only has a defensive mon, it is really easy to just use a wish+heal pulse combo to enter in an endless loop. Banning heal pulse seems required if the meta even wants to have a shot at being voted for OMotM.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
... I hate to crush dreams, but I doubt that a meta allowing easy endless battles could get a permanent ladder. If your opponent only has a defensive mon, it is really easy to just use a wish+heal pulse combo to enter in an endless loop. Banning heal pulse seems required if the meta even wants to have a shot at being voted for OMotM.
So make it so the Trademark has a PP amount
or you can put endless battle clause, which defeats this strategy super easily by forcing a win if you recover your opponents hp in any mannor when they run out of pp.

oh, and while im here, scarf tail glow manaphy returns but is 100x better now that its no longer restricted to just scald.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is really cool for a few moves. Namely, Trick Room and Tailwind now have automatic setters, and similarly there is a much wider range of weather setters at your disposal. Cresselia in particular benefits hugely from this metagame, as it doesn't put Levitate to very good use anyway meaning that it won't miss it, and being able to pivot in and immediately out allows it to take minimal unnecessary damage. Similarly, Diancie is able to get rid of its useless Clear Body in exchange for the abiliy to be another really good Trick Room setter. Rain Dance Thundurus(-T) and Tornadus(-T) both sound very scary to face, being able to use 100% accurate Thunders and Hurricanes every time they come in.

Quick question: how does this interract with Assault Vest? I'm 90% sure that they will work due to effectively being abilities, but I just want to clarify whether they are, in fact, treated as abilities as opposed to moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)