Togekiss (QC 1/2) Writing

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
[OVERVIEW]
Pros
• Solid bulk and strong supporting movepool
• The only viable user of Follow Me in the metagame, which can redirect moves away from Togekiss's partner
• Also has access to Tailwind which is a useful move for speed control.
• Typing makes it to Ground-type attacks which is a common attacking type.
• Has Serene Grace, which with a move like Air Slash gives Togekiss a higher than 50% chance to flinch.

Cons
• Has a lack of offensive presence as a defensively oriented Pokemon, however, this is slightly mitigated thanks to the high flinch chance of Air Slash which allows Togekiss to flinch slower Pokemon such as Volcanion.
• Faces competition from other redirectors and Tailwind setters such as Amoongus and Zapdos.
• A weakness to Stealth Rocks, which has gained popularity, holds back Togekiss as it puts it in range of being KOed by attacks such as Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb.

[SET]
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Encore / Protect
item: Wiki Berry
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 36 SpD / 16 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
• Air Slash is a great STAB option, and with Serene Grace has a 57% chance to cause a slower Pokemon to flinch, factoring in accuracy.
• Follow Me gives Togekiss the oppurtunity to protect its partner for a turn, allowing it to attack or set up safely.
• Tailwind doubles the speed of the team and allows it to outspeed more foes.
• Encore locks the opponent into moves such as Protect, Fake Out, or a setup move, essentialy making them useless and forcing them to switch out, and also prevents Togekiss from becoming setup bait. Encore also goes through Substitute, preventing Pokemon such as Volcanion or Aegislash from setting up.
• Protect allows Togekiss to stall out turns and also allows its partner to deal with threats on the field.
• Fire Blast can be used in the 4th slot as it allows Togekiss to KO Scizor, gives it a chance to KO Ferrothorn, and 2HKO Mega Metagross.

Set Details
========
• The listed HP and Special Attack EVs allow Togekiss to live one non-Life Orb boosted Tapu Koko Thunderbolt.
• Defense EVs are to help Togekiss survive one Iron Head from Mega Metagross.
• Wiki Berry heals Togekiss by a large amount, allowing it to stay on the field longer to keep giving support.
• Serene Grace is used with Air Slash to give it a 54% chance to flinch factoring in the chance to miss.

Usage Tips
========
• Goal is to help support partner and team to the best of its ability.
• Use Follow Me to allow a partner to set up or attack safely.
• Using Tailwind will allow Togekiss to outspeed opposing pokemon, which means that it can flinch them with Air Slash.
• Air Slash is not garunteed to flinch, so do not treat it like it will always flinch.

Team Options
========
• Zygarde and Mega Salamence share an Ice-type weakness with Togekiss, so be careful when redirecting.
• Landorus-T and Zygarde cover all of Togekiss's weaknesses.
• Landorus also has Intimidate, which makes physical attacks weaker which allows Togekiss to take more hits while redirecting.
• Fire-types such as Heatran and Mega Charizard Y can help deal with Steel-types such as Celesteela and Mega Metagross that can hurt Togekiss.
• Steel-types like Aegislash and Mega Metagross appreciate speed control from Togekiss and can also take out Kyurem-B which threatens Togekiss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
• Togekiss is pretty straightforward so there really aren't many other good options you can use with Togekiss
• Roost can be used to boost longevity, and can be used with a Terrain Berry to boost Togekiss's Defense or Special Defense.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Rock-type Pokemon**: Mega Diancie, Tyranitar, and Stakataka can all deal a lot of damage to Togekiss while not taking much damage from Air Slash.

**Electric-type Pokemon**: Tapu Koko and Zapdos both can deal a lot of damage to Togekiss.

**Steel-type Pokemon**: Mega Scizor, Mega Metagross, and Celesteela can all threaten Togekiss with strong Steel-type attacks. However, Togekiss can carry Fire Blast so slower Steel-types such as Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn should be wary of it.

**Stealth Rocks**: Stealth Rocks lowers Togekiss's HP by 25% every time it switches in, making it more vulnerable to stronger attacks and makes its defensive benchmarks useless.

**Kyurem-B**: Kyurem-B has strong Ice-type STAB and can 2HKO Togekiss with Ice Beam. It can also use Icy Wind to get around Follow Me, and shrugs off Air Slash.

Last edited:
amcheck
  • [Overview] Emphasize that Air Slash flinch more than half a time only if it move first
  • [Set] Personal opinion, but the current EV spread is suboptimal for mon like Togekiss. I prefer running 248 HP / 64 Def / 148 SpD / 48 Spe Calm nature to take less from HP reduction, outrun 0 Spe Tapu Fini, avoid the 2HKO from Charizard Y Heat Wave, and dump in Def Nevermind, it seems Level 51 has brought better spreads on his DPOTW team
  • [Set] Fourth slot should be Encore / Helping Hand / Roost leave, Protect to OO
  • [Set] Remove Thunder Wave, there is no reason to run it over Tailwind anymore besides fishing for full para
  • [Set] Mago Berry is the premier option for super sitrus, bit unsure though
  • [Moves] Helping Hand line is a bit lacking, maybe mention its invalidates Intimidate as switch-in and turning ally's move from 2HKO to OHKO in some cases
  • [Usage Tips] Due to it +5 priority, using Helping Hand the turn Togekiss about to faint or when its going to Fake Out'ed is a good idea
  • [Team Options] Remove SubTran mention with Zygarde
  • [Other Options] Since most Togekiss will not invest much in SpA, i dont think Heat Wave hit hard enough. Use Fire Blast instead to guarantee OHKO on bulky Mega Scizor and small probabilities on Ferrothorn. As always, you can run Flamethrower if youre pussy. The most important thing, no one is smart enough to use Fire move against Heatran nowadays :smartnigg:
  • [Other Options] Togekiss fourth slot is pretty flexible, so the Heal Bell line isnt true. Its rarely used because status move itself pretty inexistent (bar spore) on meta crowded by Tapu Fini
  • [Other Options] Add Sitrus Berry, Safety Googles, and Protect
  • [Checks & Counters] Add **Spread Attackers** and **Taunt** tag
  • [Checks & Counters] **X-types** over **X-type Pokemon**

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi I'm here to check this :D

[Overview]
  • put more emphasis on Follow Me, Togekiss is the only viable user of Follow Me right now and that's the main reason to use it
  • Dragon and Dark isn't really a common attacking type tbh so remove that
  • mention how togekiss is weak to steel and electric, both of which are common attacking moves on teams
  • mention with air slash how that can kind of mitigate togekiss's lack of offensive presence by having a high chance of flinching slower mons like volcanion
  • put more emphasis on Stealth Rocks; its popularity really holds Togekiss back from being decent since it puts Togekiss in range of being OHKOed by things like Marshadow SSSSS and Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb
[SET]
  • The set should be
name: Follow Me Support
move 1: Air Slash
move 2: Follow Me
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Encore / Protect
item: Wiki Berry
ability: Serene Grace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 36 SpD / 16 Spe

[Moves]
  • Thunder Wave is pretty bad, Tailwind is better almost all of the time. Status isn't that great right now even if you can potentially cheese opponents with T wave + Air Slash
  • Encore is better in the first slash because Togekiss lacks offensive presence so it's complete setup bait unlike Amoonguss, which has like Spore / Clear Smog. So Encore can be used to lock your opp into their setup move
  • mention Fire Blast in the 4th slot, it can be used to pick up the KO on Scizor, have a chance at KOing Ferrothorn, and 2HKOs Mega Metagross
  • remove helping hand mention
[Set Details]
  • 252 HP / 204 Def lets Togekiss live Mega Meta Iron Head and takes Marshadow SSSSS comfortably
  • 36 SpD Calm lets Togekiss live a non-LO boosted Tapu Koko Tbolt in Electric Terrain
  • 16 spe lets Togekiss outrun Deo-A under Tailwind

[Usage Tips]
  • *air slash flinch is not guaranteed so don't rely on flinching; clarifies it more

[Team Options]
  • "Pokemon that setup, especially ones that enjoy speed control appreciate support from Togekiss such as Mega Tyranitar and Substitute Heatran" idk how Sub Tran fits under this but just say setup Pokemon, such as Mega Tyranitar, Zygarde, Mega Scizor and Mega Salamence benefits from Togekiss's support. Also mention how Mence / Zygarde shares an ice weakness with Togekiss so be careful
  • "Pokemon that don't share the same weaknesses as Togekiss and have a strong offensive presence" you can honestly just clarify this to "Pokemon that benefits from speed control" I'd personally remove the Hoopa mention (offensive Hoopa that isn't TR is kinda eh tbh)
  • remove Kyurem-B from the ground type mention and instead mention it by itself; outside of clicking Earth Power sometimes it's not really a "ground-type" the benefit of having a traditional ground type like Lando-T next to Togekiss is so that you can EQ next to it. Make sure you note the Steel weakness when pairing the two
  • add a Fire-type mention, they tend to work pretty well with Togekiss since it covers steel weakness
  • add a Steel-type mention too, Mega Metagross benefits greatly from speed control and can take out Kyu-b

[Other Options]
  • Togekiss is pretty straightforward so there really isn't many good other options you can use with Togekiss
  • Roost can be used to increase longevity
  • I guess you can use like one of the Terrain Seeds with Roost
  • remove Heat Wave and Heal Bell, Fire Blast is better and status isn't really common right now to warrant a whole slot dedicated to removing a status (also Heatran has Flash Fire so you can't hit it with a Fire-type lol)
[Checks and Counters]
  • Under rock types, replace Mega Tyranitar with just Tyranitar (small nitpick) and replace Terrakion with Stakataka. Stakataka is more viable so you'll see it more often than Terrakion
  • With steel types, mention how Togekiss could potentially carry a Fire move so slower Steels like Scizor and Ferrothorn should be wary of it
  • put electric types above steel types also what does "but it they hit into its higher Special Defense." mean. I'm assuming it means that Togekiss has higher special defense than physical which doesn't really matter in this case since Togekiss can't really do anything to those two, so remove that part
  • remove Ice-type tab, the only common ice type is like kyu-b and instead give Kyurem-B its own tab. It can 2HKO Togekiss, shrug off Air Slash, and basically ignore Follow Me with Icy Wind
  • remove opposing speed control, togekiss isn't there to flinch stuff but to support with follow me / tailwind
  • add a Stealth Rocks tab. Rocks can essentially make all those defensive benchmarks useless

I think I got everything, this is a lot so tag me when you've implemented it. It's also pretty late right now so I might've missed some stuff

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DaAwesomeDude1 I think i got everything, but the Team Options section is a bit of a mess and I'm not entirely sure how to make it cleaner
[Set Details]
  • the Defense EVs help Togekiss survive Mega Metagross's Iron Head, the spread was specifically made to survive that so don't say the Defense EVs were a dump
  • the Special Defense EVs help it survive a NON-LO boosted Tbolt from Koko in Terrain
[Usage Tips]
[Team Options]
  • "Pokemon that setup, especially ones that enjoy speed control appreciate support from Togekiss such as Mega Tyranitar, Zygarde, Mega Scizor and Mega Salamence. Zygarde and Mega Salamence share an Ice-type weakness with Togekiss, so be careful when redirecting." Remove the part about enjoying speed control
  • "Landorus also has Intimidate, which makes physical attacks weaker which allows Togekiss to redirect better." Instead of redirect better (since it doesn't improve redirection itself) say take more hits when redirecting or something similar
  • remove Kyurem-B, on second thought Kyub and Togekiss are both pretty splashable mons so it's not like they're extremely good together, they're just not bad together. this might also help with the clutter-ness too

[Checks and Counters]
  • add **Kyurem-B** tab, see my first post for the reasoning

As for cleaning up the team options, instead of listing all the types that Lando / Zygarde can threaten, just say that they "cover Togekiss's weakness" or something similar

tag me again when you've implemented this and I'll give you a check

Unplanned but this is also my 1k too so uhhhh shoutouts to everyone :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)