Time Out - The worst thing to happen to sports

I dont see how it would make sports more competitive. It seems like it would make them less competitive since you take away or reduce the advantage of being able to think on your feet. Of course there will still be strategy, it just will be up to the players rather than someone on the sideline..

You arent changing the amount of strategy in a game. Strategy is just what people are trying to do, while you are playing a sport, you are following some strategy. The strategy is still there without timeouts, it is just forcing players to determine it as opposed to someone sideline..

Have a nice day.
Right, but it also takes strategic thinking to change up something if you aren't performing to full potential, which is why the time-out is so vital. It doesn't have to be a third-party coach who can change up a team's strategy, it could be the individual players themselves. I don't think 30 seconds to recuperate is so much trouble for the average sports fan. If you're losing by a ton of points in basketball, the rules don't state you continue playing with your losing strategy. Time-outs are more momentum shifters than anything else, and contrary to what was said earlier, you wouldn't have such great games without those momentum-changing time-outs (or else a lot of games would be blowouts, how fun for the typical sports fan).

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just thing about how key time outs are in basketball though. If you see a team go on a 10-0 run, or something of that nature, a team needs time to adjust. Do you really want to see that turn into a absolute blowout or actually watch the other team make it a game? Lets look at the Cavs/Magic series this postseason. Do you really think the Magic could of come back from double digit leads like they did in games 1/2 to almost take both games instead of splitting it 1-1 without any strategy or timeouts?
But wouldnt you likewise much prefer to watch a game where a team managed to overturn a 10-0 run because the players have the ability to turn around the momentum without a timeout by shere force of will or some other characteristic, that might be valueless in a game where you can just call a timeout.. You seem to be removing depth from the game by having arbitrary intrusions..

[edit]
Right, but it also takes strategic thinking to change up something if you aren't performing to full potential, which is why the time-out is so vital. It doesn't have to be a third-party coach who can change up a team's strategy, it could be the individual players themselves.
Yeah but they could have done that without a timeout..

I don't think 30 seconds to recuperate is so much trouble for the average sports fan. If you're losing by a ton of points in basketball, the rules don't state you continue playing with your losing strategy. Time-outs are more momentum shifters than anything else, and contrary to what was said earlier, you wouldn't have such great games without those momentum-changing time-outs (or else a lot of games would be blowouts, how fun for the typical sports fan).
I doubt this a lot. If so, it is probably because you have timeouts your players dont learn how to overturn bad runs without having a break. And giving players a 30 second break also seems to change how much fitness is going to impact on the game. You are reducing depth in the interest of having close games, which seems pretty dubious a claim to me, and you do it by making fans wait around. It seems really stupid..

Also I've never watched a game of basketball, so keep that in mind..

Have a nice day.

I do put some merit in the need for the players to recuperate in basketball. After all, if I were a fan of a particular team, I'd expect to see the best players on the floor as often as possible. Let's face it: if I buy a ticket to watch a game at "The Q," for example, I'm buying that ticket mainly to be entertained by LeBron James, not Wally Szczerbiak or J.J. Hickson or whoever the hell else plays the 3 in Cleveland. I don't know about you, but I thought LeBron was absolutely gassed by the end of the Cavs's playoff run--and that's in a game WITH timeouts! If the game was WITHOUT timeouts, then I don't think LeBron could have played as many minutes and I probably would have seen more of Wally World on the floor--and I'd be mad as hell! You think I WANT to see Wally play instead of LeBron? I wonder if the Cavs would have even made it to Game 5 against the Magic had LeBron not played as many minutes.

I like the idea of timeouts in basketball because it allows the best players on the team to stay on the court longer by giving them more time to rest. I can't stand the media timeouts, though; fuck 'em.

But wouldnt you likewise much prefer to watch a game where a team managed to overturn a 10-0 run because the players have the ability to turn around the momentum without a timeout by shere force of will or some other characteristic, that might be valueless in a game where you can just call a timeout.. You seem to be removing depth from the game by having arbitrary intrusions..

[edit]

Yeah but they could have done that without a timeout..

I doubt this a lot. If so, it is probably because you have timeouts your players dont learn how to overturn bad runs without having a break. And giving players a 30 second break also seems to change how much fitness is going to impact on the game. You are reducing depth in the interest of having close games, which seems pretty dubious a claim to me, and you do it by making fans wait around. It seems really stupid..

Also I've never watched a game of basketball, so keep that in mind..

Have a nice day.
You know, I guess it just varies from person to person. Im assuming you follow sports such as soccer where time outs just arent a factor. I can agree with you, that it would be nicer for a fan to see a team come back from a run like that on sheer ability and determination. However, just from experience there are just times where you just dont see where the flaw is, and the coach does. It also is basically to ice another teams momentum. For a road team, if they give up a run like that the crowd starts to get rowdy and into the game. Sometimes that can go to a road team players head and they start to to play rashly. A time out can settle that team down and help cool the crowd down.

In football, you almost need timeouts due to the fact that every play is a "predetermined" set. If you don't like how something is set up, then the timeout is called. Additionally, after the 2:00 warning or even before, timeouts are needed so that the clock is stopped to allow time to set up (though some teams are good at the hurry-up offensive style).

football without timeouts would be a lot less competitive and interesting at the end of games...you can run out the clock much more effectively and comeback drives are more limited and unlikely.

Using basketball as an example again, no amount of player knowledge or strategy can turn a game around without a timeout if you're getting slaughtered. The game is too fast-paced and you would never have an opportunity to discuss with your teammates and coordinate the strategy you want to implement. That's what a timeout is for, and regardless of being an improv master, you can't accomplish this without the timeout.

Timeouts are a quintessential part of football and basketball, both sports would struggle to function at all without them.

Most other mainstream sports barely even use timeouts, so I'm having trouble imagining a sport that is "better off" without them.

Using basketball as an example again, no amount of player knowledge or strategy can turn a game around without a timeout if you're getting slaughtered. The game is too fast-paced and you would never have an opportunity to discuss with your teammates and coordinate the strategy you want to implement. That's what a timeout is for, and regardless of being an improv master, you can't accomplish this without the timeout.

Timeouts are a quintessential part of football and basketball, both sports would struggle to function at all without them.

Most other mainstream sports barely even use timeouts, so I'm having trouble imagining a sport that is "better off" without them.
Also, it is different for a coach to view a game on the sideline then a player on the court. It is much easier to see a flaw on the sideline then it is for a player on the court. If a coach didnt have timeouts to discuss it then how could the players know how to adjust? The only oppertunity that this could happen would be on a player injury, free throws, or at quarters end/half time

I see your point.

In minor leagues i completely agree bacause it allows teams in Football and Basketball to be able to expect the extra time in the end rather than work on it throughout the game.

I think they should limit timeouts in a time limit

For Exaple:: Basketball::

6 timeouts tolal
3 after the first half
2 in the 2nd quarter
1 in the last 2 minutes

IMO this could keep the game more honest.

But

In professional sports the timouts give more tenion to the fans and make the game more fun to watch. Cause everyone knows watching an NBA game that anything can happen in the last 2 minutes. This is because of timeouts.

I see your point.

In minor leagues i completely agree bacause it allows teams in Football and Basketball to be able to expect the extra time in the end rather than work on it throughout the game.

I think they should limit timeouts in a time limit

For Exaple:: Basketball::

6 timeouts tolal
3 after the first half
2 in the 2nd quarter
1 in the last 2 minutes

IMO this could keep the game more honest.

But

In professional sports the timouts give more tenion to the fans and make the game more fun to watch. Cause everyone knows watching an NBA game that anything can happen in the last 2 minutes. This is because of timeouts.
No First quarter time outs? Wouldnt it be better to just make it 3 per half, or even 2 first half 4 second half? If you have no timeouts in the first quarter, and the other team starts off strong and on a nice run, you need a timeout to adjust.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)