Tournament Tier Shift Conquest [Won by MAMP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the next round isn't up and this tour is partially for TS research, here are my brief thoughts on my team members based on my (extremely limited) viewpoint of their effectiveness:
  • Ferrothorn: Already ranked in TS, and it would probably have done well if not for the terrible matchup -- except for Gigalith, all of my opponents Pokemon either carried Super Effective STAB or could easily run a Fire move without losing much. The SpD spread is a solid counter to RestTalk Chinhou, tho. Nothing much to say, it's Ferrothorn. You know what it does.
  • Cresselia: Again, didn't get to do much, but I think its promising. As a bulky CM pure Psychic, it's relatively unmatched in its defensive stats. With Colbur Berry, it could be a good check for Fighting types like Sawk and Hariyama. Its also a great TR setter. Might be worth testing/ranking.
  • Regirock: 95/215/115 bulk is nothing to sneeze at. I don't know what Megazard's Heracross spread was (he kind of played like it was Scarf, but I don't know), but I won the game off of a Close Combat roll that failed to 2HKO without even full Defense investment. That's a 120 STAB move coming off of 130 Attack. Your SpD is also really solid for a mixed tank spread, and 115 Attack is pretty good for a tank as well. I'd look into testing it more, it could be worthwhile.
  • Samurott: Actually had a great matchup against everything but Chinchou, but didn't put in as much work because I kept mispredicting. The problem is that there are a lot of Waters and I don't think Samurott does anything special enough to get recognition. It barely has the movepool to fill either a full Special or Physical set, and while 115/123/95 isn't too bad, its not great either. Probably not worth testing further.
  • Floette: Kept me from losing to Dragonite and Heracross, but I question its usefulness compared to other Fairies. At 118 SpD, it gets a pretty big boost after Eviolite that allows you to take on special attackers while investing heavily in Defense. That said, Clefairy is probably better -- it has higher HP and Def, as well as a real ability. Don't bother IMO.
  • Zweilous: Kind of cool, honestly. I used the SpD tank set from RU and it did its job admirably. 92/90/90 is pretty huge after Eviolite, and its unique Dark/Dragon typing blocks a bunch of special attackers. (252 SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Zweilous: 170-200 (43.8 - 51.5%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO) Offensively, its nearly as strong as non-TS Durant after Hustle, but you can afford to run Adamant + Band and your strongest STAB is 120 bp. I'd do further research on it -- nothing is in direct competition with it because its rather unique in what it can do.

Round 2:

BIAF vs megaqwer:D
LaxLapras
vs Sobi
HeadsILoseTailsYouWin vs AWailOfATail
Dr. Phd. BJ vs Deathly ♛The King
(Winner of Ransei vs [USER=276133]yelawolf[/USER], deadline Thursday) vs Wooly Ampharosite
Mega-Serperior-Z vs Odien
Stocke vs Maleovex
Kingslayer2779 vs nv
MAMP
vs Melle2402 (flip)
Illusio vs Rhythms (flip)
Sanjay. vs Quantum Tesseract
Lax (won flip) vs acidphoenix
Jajoken vs InfernapeTropius11
jeran vs Dragongroudon9 (see below)
Zangooser vs ScorrchingTheaph
littlelucario (see below) vs MBM99

Notes: littlelucario and Dragongroudon9 won a flip to both stay in the tour as I needed 32 rather than 31 for this round

If I missed you in the second post please post and let me know!

Last edited:
yeah, I also seem to not have gotten my new team generated for this round. no rush but if you could give me a new team soon that'd be appreciated

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/tiershift-361974097

Won vs awoat, gg

Analyses:
(not all of these are from this one battle, I actually played a bit on ladder with this team)

Kingdra:
This can sweep whole teams on its own if given the chance. That said, it does need a somewhat cooperative opponent to reach its full potential. The set I was using was Physical Double Dance (Dragon Dance/Focus Energy/Outrage/Waterfall), although a special set can work with Draco Meteor, Hydro Pump, Focus Energy, and Agility. Focus Energy lets you break past Unaware and after Focus Energy and Dance, not much is surviving. This even does over 75% to Quagsire with a crit Outrage, making it one of the few setup mons that isn't stopped by Unaware. That being said, it does like cleric support, as it will be getting statused most of the time.

Manectric:
Kinda underwhelming in theory, but actually okay in practice. Use the Mega if you aren't using something else. If your mega slot is taken, use Life Orb or Specs Switcheroo I guess? The standard OU set with HP Grass instead for Water/Grounds works perfectly fine. As for teammates, it pairs well with stuff that can beat scarfers, and also things that break past Chansey and its Specially defensive friends.

Rhydon:
I'm pretty sure this is already well known in TS anyway, so I won't be elaborating much on it. I used Stealth Rock/Earthquake/Megahorn/Stone Edge, although Rock Blast and Roar are perfectly viable alternatives over Stone Edge and Megahorn respectively. I did invest heavily in Special Defense, enough to avoid the 2HKO from Modest Claydol's Earth Power should I need to 1v1 it. It obviously appreciates Wish and Cleric support, usually from Mega Audino or Lickilicky/Chansey.

Simisage:
Okay, so when I found out I was using this I was kind of bummed. And then I took a look at this thing's movepool and HOLY SHIT is it gigantic. This is the kind of hidden gem that this tournament aims to uncover. Between loads of unexpected mixed coverage, Nasty Plot and Taunt to break Stall, and very high speed that ties Tornadus-T, this is one of the nastiest threats for defensive teams to face. Mega Audino is KO'd by LO Leaf Storm + Gunk Shot. Chansey is taken care of by Knock Off + Superpower. Skarmory is beaten by Hidden Power Fire. It even gets semi-reliable recovery in Synthesis should you want to go for a SubSeed set. This mon can carry something for every potential counter. The only support that it truly appreciates is hazards. If you can keep Spikes up, even better.

Wooper:
If you're planning to use it outside of this tournament, don't. Quagsire completely outclasses it in every way except for cuteness Grass Knot damage.

However, in this tournament, things are different. When I saw Kabutops on my opponents team, I knew I wanted a bulky Water/Ground for one of my NFE's. This left three options: Palpitoad, Marshtomp, and Wooper. Marshtomp lacked any recovery whatsoever, and I didn't have any really reliable way of keeping its HP up throughout the match. Palpitoad was slightly better, with Water Absorb and great bulk(95/75/75 + eviolite) That still didn't solve the problem of longevity, so I turned to Wooper. On paper this thing is absolutely terrible, with meager 75/65/45 bulk and attacks that hit like a noodle. However, this thing just wouldn't die. With Recover to keep itself healthy and two great abilities in Unaware and Water Absorb, Wooper pulled its weight so much. Additionally, Yawn was a great tool to force switches and punish setup. So the next time you think about using Quagsire in TS, do consider slightly different move choices.

Floette:
Amazing Wish passer and cleric. There are several different things this could do - Offensive Calm Mind with Synthesis, Fighting or Dragon counter (at least those that lack Knock Off) - but I chose to stick with the most basic and effective one. I didn't put much thought into the EV's and went for a slightly mixed spread with an emphasis on Special Defense (248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD Calm hits jump points for both Eviolite and the Nature) to try to increase the number of times I could pass a Wish. While Floette does kill momentum, it's not too hard to get it back without harm, due to Wish decreasing the likelihood of a 2HKO on your switch-in.

Last edited:

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
gg indeed
Analyses on my end:

Kabutops:
Probably wasn't put to as much use as possible, but I was happy with Kabutops. Definitely put in work, and without Wooper in the way, I feel confident that it could've shone a lot more. Scarf may not have been the best option but I felt more comfortable with it than other items.

Moltres:
Moltres was actually really nice as a SpD wall. Didn't get to do much because of Rock Slide/Thunderbolt and it couldn't really threaten anything because I was running a more defensive set with Defog/WoW/Roost. Still, may deserve some experimenting.

Claydol:
Claydol was simply a Screens + Rocks + Spinner. Took more hits than I was expecting; a SR + Rapid Spin + attacking set might have some actual use.

Walrein:
Just kinda there. It was a nice matchup against status spreaders, but overall just kinda there. Didn't hurt much, but didn't help much.

Murkrow:
Murkrow is annoying. Not much else to expect. Priority is always really nice and can help stop sweeps with T-Wave (see: Kingdra). Not too shabby; Defog is unfortunately incompatible with Prankster, though.

Shelgon:
Ok, so this was one of the NFEs I chose. It was able to take multiple hits even after losing Eviolite early on, and Wish passing came in handy near the end. I loved the way Shelgon played and think that with a Knock Off absorber (or two) it could really shine. brb making an actual TS team with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)