Thoughts on adulthood

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
That's a very grim attitude to take. Personally, by the time I am 35 I want to be retired. Possibly before that if I'm smart. The way to do this is by investing my capital in to "money trees", that being ways in which I can generate passive income. I'm only 20 and have been keeping an eye out on ways to do this, the problem for me is getting said capital in the first place.
good luck! but it really won't happen. have fun generating enough capital in 15 years. if "money trees" were a reliable way for anyone to live then they would be doing it now, and there aren't a fuckload of 35 year old retirees around (mostly smart / lucky investors, and usually they do *something* after 35 anyway)

basically, people aim so that when they retire they live off interest forever. that takes awhile, you know, to get the 10 million dollars or so (in today's money) you need to start doing that, forgetting about kids or other huge expenses

i've been told by many, many smart and happy people that you have to find a living that makes you at least a little happy and excited. i think trying to find work that excites you and motivates you is a life pursuit worth having. it might take awhile and it might never truly happen but it's worth a shot and it's better than spending your whole life preparing to retire. pursue your passion

You don't think property investment will do just that? I don't know what your sitch is in America but here in Australia there's literally no way I won't make a return if I buy a house/apartment and lease it out (of course this can happen to varying extents). I know it's a difficult goal but most people dismiss it as being impossible without trying, when I have a surprising number of good friends who've done what I've outlined!
not entirely true as the housing market is going to take a fall soon as some idiot put stimulus into the australian housing market in 2003-2008 in a time when the economy didn't need stimulation and we're feeling the negative impacts right now

investors like myself are taking a small hit, i'm going to have to be especially tight with money through university and the first few years of whatever job i get

I like stocks, the amount of undervalued companies and the captial increase you can make from year to year is just mind blowing. I won't say I'd retire by 35, but I do sincerely believe I will have enough to full rely on stocks when I'm 30 and be my own boss, having Adult ADHD and an office job doesn't mesh after all.

The problem with stocks however is you get caught up in (these worthless penny stocks are gaining multiples of what I'm doing right now, investing sucks let me day trade instead) and once you lose discipline you lose everything.

xenu

Banned deucer.
it's quite disheartening to see you guys so resigned about life, but for people claiming to be adults you sure haven't outgrown your sense of teenage cynicism. what you're referring to as the "real world" is essentially just the job market. there's life outside your job; not being an adult myself, i can't pretend to understand the workings of this but i personally look at jobs as "side gigs" to support another, primary endeavor. perhaps looking at it from that perspective will help.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's quite disheartening to see you guys so resigned about life, but for people claiming to be adults you sure haven't outgrown your sense of teenage cynicism. what you're referring to as the "real world" is essentially just the job market. there's life outside your job; not being an adult myself, i can't pretend to understand the workings of this but i personally look at jobs as "side gigs" to support another, primary endeavor. perhaps looking at it from that perspective will help.
Quoted for truth. This post is amazing.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
These are my opinions.. no way right or wrong. Just how I feel about the things being discussed.

Adults are big kids
Yes and no. Adults can be everything that you mentioned and sure, that can be considered childlike. But unlike kids, adults are way more calculating, deceptive and manipulative. Kids don't hide anything - it's all right there in the open and they are who they are without fear. Many adults hide who they are and would never have the stones to be as open, honest and direct as a 4 year old. In that way, adults are NOT big kids.

Everything is bullshit
I disagree with pretty much all of this. Some people are full of shit to a degree but they'll never get anywhere by constantly "covering their ass." As Justin (and me below) mention, you can be successful, and even thrive, if you're honest, do a good job and are not full of shit.

”Is this it?”
People work to make money. If you don't like the work you do to make money, find another form of employment. Many people don't do what they "love" or are "passionate" about, myself included, but you can find jobs that you can tolerate, don't mind or moderately like doing. It might not be good enough for you and that's ok, but I'm ok with giving up some of my time for the ability to live the way I want to outside of the 9-5.

So yes, working is what people do when they need to pay for things. But that doesn't have to be the only thing they do.

"Passion"
I'm not a very passionate individual in general but I'd say that most people talk in extremes these days. Passion is just one of those many words that have been diluted a bit. Roll with it like most people and just know that it doesn't really mean what it probably should mean.

Normal people do not go around shoving their morals or way of lives into others' throats. The people who do that are just a minority. Though i'm now wondering if your talking about government and what is right/wrong.
They're called Catholics. In all seriousness, though, many people DO go around espousing their opinions as the right and moral and better and whatever else way to do things. People may not literally "jam ideals down throats" but will subtly let you know their opinions - be it through facial expressions, tone, diction, etc etc - especially (and usually more prominent) if there's a huge disparity in thinking. We're all very judgmental, think we know what's best.. you can even see it from all the judgment being thrown around in this thread.

thoughts on adulthood from a member of the community nobody has ever taken seriously. out
Nothing really to add to your post but I just wanted to say "props" for choosing the path that made sense for and felt like it would work best for you. All you can do in life is make the best decisions you can, for you, in any given moment and go from there.

I like how everybody posting in this thread is most likely under the age of 30 but they are all experts at adulthood. I'm 25 and won't even attempt to explain what adulthood is like.
Ah, yes, the next level of e-penis high ground lol. I do agree with you, though. My additional thoughts on that to nobody in particular:

Nobody here on Smogon is qualified to explain adulthood. First, nobody here is old enough to have experienced all the typical highs and lows of being an adult from start to finish. If you're on your death bed and like 85, then feel free to lay some knowledge on us. You've at least had plenty of experience. Second, taking it one step further, nobody here will have the same experiences or will want to experience life the same way, anyway. To surmise that "this is adulthood" is pretty bold when my adult life and the path I choose will differ greatly and my opinions of how to live will be formed and molded around those experiences. So even the hypothetical 85 year old can't really explain adulthood for everyone.

I will never be a so-called bullshitter. I'm a straight shooter. I say it how I see it. There are definitely a lot of people that will bullshit their way to the top, but it's easy enough to be successful and advance in your career without bullshitting. The people who get there by lying and talking down their fellow employees usually end up falling in one way or another.

The person in the main post just appears to be jaded at their current job because some scumbag got a promotion and he feels like he was more deserving. Whatever man. If you're good at your job you'll have your day.
I've found this to be a good approach. I'm not a "confrontational" straight shooter but I'm honest, fairly direct and take responsibility for my work performance. People do recognize this and will respect you for it. That goes a long way and can often be the difference in a new promotion or job opportunity. Some people are better at playing the game, ie bullshitting, than others and can make it look pretty seamless but eventually they do get caught and it costs them in one way or another.

I'll end with the cliched "life is what you make it." Last I checked, adulthood was part of life.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Agreed.

A lot of people view jobs as the end of the tunnel of their life. In fact, there's a good amount of people with the 'go to school, then work forever' mentality. They are only setting themselves up for the inevitable feeling of dissatisfaction with this kind of attitude. If they land up in a mediocre career, chances are they'll feel like the rest of their life is mediocre too. As cliché as it sounds, life is what you make of it. Personally, there's more to life than just jobs. Things like job promotions, creating a family, buying a new sports car don't validate you. You validate you. Like you said, they are simply viewed as 'side gigs'. You'll never feel dissatisfied with this kind of thinking.

jobs as side gigs? lol these side gigs take up 1/3 of your time, with sleep typically taking over the other 1/3 of your time. i cant imagine treating my job as a side gig for the next several decades of my life, so for that reason i would think being passionate about your work, or at least highly interested in your work and challenged by your work, is important, supplemented by a balanced life with other interests, activities and hobbies.

jobs as side gigs? lol these side gigs take up 1/3 of your time, with sleep typically taking over the other 1/3 of your time. i cant imagine treating my job as a side gig for the next several decades of my life, so for that reason i would think being passionate about your work, or at least highly interested in your work and challenged by your work, is important, supplemented by a balanced life with other interests, activities and hobbies.
This ^5

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I definitely dont think anyone should be posting about what other people should be posting opinions on.

Except mods.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
are there any other upsides to being an "adult" then having a bit more money to spend, being allowed to get a driver's license, and people taking you serious instead of only claiming to do so?

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is an interesting thread in that I was coincidentally mulling over the fact that I turned 20 years old this year (a few months ago) and am still subconsciously coming to terms with it. I've always associated with turning 20 (not 18 or 21) as becoming essentially a full-fledged adult and a "step" into your real adult life; getting out of your teen years has always been a prospect that's intrigued but yet scared me to a slight degree.

Keep in mind that everything that comes after is not an "adult" perspective, but rather a perspective from a young adult who is in university.

Addressing McGrrr's statement that all adults are big kids, it's true to some extent but not in the way McGrrr has addressed it. I'm also going to agree with Carl's definition a bit more. Being in university, it seems a lot of the people I meet and become acquainted with have no sense of actually being "grown up" in that they have no real sense of direction in their life, no sense of maturity or responsibility and don't seem to actually take care of themselves in terms of health (both physically and mentally). Many, coming from the affluent parts of society, have no sense of fiscal responsibility and essentially come from a very sheltered environment. In a sense, they are still kids; they rely on their a power higher than them to take care of them, and are essentially powerless without them.

In regards to petty squabbles, power struggles and the like, I'm going to argue that these things are more associated with teenagers as opposed to kids; in my own experience, the first signs of these squabbles truly take form when most enter their pubescent years and that these struggles manifest themselves because of their drastically changing environment and their own body chemistry. I associate kids with a bit more innocence and purity; while there are exceptions, kids in general do not attempt to be deceptive as Carl mentioned, and are generally more open with their feelings, even when they're trying to hide them. In a way, I am agreeing with McGrrr in that adults are characterized by these power struggles in their lives, but disagree with his comparison; (young) adults are not kids. They have their insecurities and can be powerless but as a whole, I believe they're completely different from kids in their personalities, and general shape of mind.

Addressing passion, I'm inclined to agree with Justin in that it does seem you were passed over for a promotion. It seems that you're trying to examine yourself in what you truly want to do and if it's worth it (just an assumption) and it manifested in you creating this thread. Passion is a word that's thrown around a lot; people tell others to "pursue your passion" so flippantly it irks me; I have only met a very select number of individuals who are pursuing their general passion and as a whole, without serious self-evaluation and experience, I don't believe most of us actually have a grasp of what we're passionate about. In my own case, I believe I am fairly passionate about what I do. I love chemistry and have enjoyed studying it for over 4 years now. I enjoy video games in that I have never truly weaned myself off them despite many promises to do so because of the general interaction with friends both online and offline, and how they change. I enjoy literature and TV shows, both which broaden my perspective in life and in addressing myself, the world and other issues, and provide a means of escape from my own life. I enjoy writing to an extent. But even though I've seriously tried to analyze my own life and my own patterns of thoughts to find what I am truly passionate about, it seems I've never been able to truly say that I am passionate about X. It seems life is a journey to find what we are passionate about; sad to say that many don't actually reach this ending.

I'm going to conclude this little rant of mine with that I'm still trying to reach this passion of mine and what it really means to be an adult; I'm entering my third year into university and will probably be in school for the next four to five years, either going into medical school or pursuing a PhD (leaning towards the latter); even though I've defined being an adult as turning 20, it seems I truly won't get a taste of what it means to be grown up until I graduate; school essentially works as a guidance counselor in that it structures your life into what classes you're taking, what you're studying, how much free time you have, etc. Regardless of whatever I pursue, and whatever path I take, hopefully I'll be able to find something really suits me (because really, what else is life about?).

Also let's be real; no one will retire at the age of 35 unless they're from a very affluent family, or that something very fortunate happens to them, which speaking realistically, won't happen. I think people are looking too far into their future and aren't concentrating on what life is now; people have these grand dreams but don't plan on how they're realistically going to get there.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
jobs as side gigs? lol these side gigs take up 1/3 of your time, with sleep typically taking over the other 1/3 of your time.
this analogy isn't entirely accurate, as your math assumes a person is working 8 hours a day for seven days a week, not the typical 5. If we look at the number of total hours in a week (168) and divide into the standard number of working hours (40), you actually come out to a little less than .25, which would be 1/4 of your time. Just thought I'd point this out since this is a common argument people use when they talk about how work wastes so much of your life.

Also I'd like to point out that yes, some people are more honest and straight than others, but nobody is a 100% "straight-shooter". People proclaim to be this all the time, but we're all human beings, and by nature we dislike confrontation and would rather evade or dilute the truth rather than just be forthcoming with a person. This isn't something to be ashamed of as it's basic human nature, and we can make concerted efforts to be open and honest most of the time, but nobody is capable of doing it every minute of every day. To claim that you are always honest and never lie/omit/soften/avoid the truth is just inaccurate. Sorry to be a grumpy grover.

Finally, yes it's true that most of us are under 30 and haven't experienced much of adulthood ourselves yet, but that doesn't mean we haven't personally known countless other adults of all different ages and walks of life. We learn from these people in our lives and through these lessons we are able to make competent life decisions that we otherwise wouldn't have the knowledge to. To say we lack personal experience as an adult is mostly true, but to say we don't know anything about it is not so much. I'd like to think that I know a great deal about being an adult, both from my personal experience (almost 28, out of college and in the corporate world for 6 years so far, married and now starting a family) and from the countless adults, both friend and family, that I've known personally over the years.

i live for confrontations

I'm not sure why you are going on and on about the fact that nobody is honest 100% of the time. None of us are claiming that. We are simply stating that we aren't going to just agree with people at work and kiss ass to move up the ladder. If somebody comes up with a god-awful retarded idea, I'm not just going to stand there and be like "YEAH MAN! GREAT STUFF!" I'm going to shoot it down like the pile of flying shit it is. None of us are claiming to be completely honest people 100% of the time. As far as ethics in the workplace go, I'm not even close to being a saint in that regard. I'm just not going to tolerate idiots (whether they are my superiors or not) getting away with being stupid in the workplace. I'm also not going to throw somebody else under the bus for something that I've done incorrectly or take credit for something that I haven't done.

PS, we don't need a lecture about lying from you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)