ORAS PU This team stinks(PU)

I've been workin with this team for a while and been making adjustments here and there. But now I'm at a point in the ladder where I haven't been really moving up. I'm not sure what exactly is acting as dead weight or slowing me down, any feedback is appreciated.

relicunt (Relicanth) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock

This is my typical lead. It works great because If people try to set up on him I can yawn and force a switch. Stone Edge and Waterfall for STAB moves, and Stealth Rocks are a obvious necessity for this team. It tanks most physical attacks

mr succ (Mr. Mime) @ Life Orb
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

My Mr. Meme, has a great move pool and a hard hitter. IDK what else to talk about for this. I think that it could use a better movepool, maybe replacing tbolt with nasty plot to get a sweep going.

pidgegay (Pidgeot) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- Air Slash
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Heres one of my special attackers. Hurricane for powerful attacks when I need to 1HKO something, and Airslash for more accurate STAB. Also Heat Wave and U-turn for coverage. He does really have a lackluster special movepool however this set really gets stuff done.

gay net (Banette) @ Leftovers
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Gunk Shot
- Shadow Sneak

Banette really is one of the most overlooked pokemon in PU. It has an excellent attack stat that hits incredibly hard. I gave it some decent coverage moves and Will-O-Wisp to slow down physical sweepers. I don't think there really is anything that I could change on this thing that would improve it.

2 fast 2 quick (Zebstrika) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double Kick
- Wild Charge
- Me First
- Thrash

Now I know this definetly isnt your standard Zebstrika set, but It hits teams hard and unexpectidly. Double kick for mons like Bastidon/Probopass for decent coverage. Wild charge is the main STAB. Me First is really just filling a free spot, works great for Mons like Gigalith trying to hit me with an EQ, I'll just shoot it right back with more power. Thrash is just a powerful normal move for decent damage.

cucc (Cryogonal) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magic Coat
- Rapid Spin
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Cryoganol is my tactical man. Magic coat to bounce back Entry Hazard and status moves to bamboozle my opponents. Rapid spin for obvi reasons. Reflect and Light Screen for team support. This guy really is my MVP, special attacks do hardly anything especially after light screen

Threats-

Stunfisk

Even with a super effective energy ball from Mr. Meme Stunfisk can easily tank that move. It's excellent Defense stats make it hard for me to do some substantial damage. It can set off discharges and potentially paralyze many of my pokes and causing problems

Arbok

Arbok is also a pokemon I have some trouble with. Once it sets up a Coil, my Mr. Meme take severe damage from sucker punch. Plus shed skin makes it harder to get the burn on it.

Stoutland

Banded stoutland tears through my team once relicanth is eliminated. A Scarf set also can sweep my team and outspeeds everything with scarf.

Please if you have any improvements for my team let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

Hello! Welcome to PU.

This team could use a lot of improvements as many of the things you are using are very sub-par and are simply not very effective in the PU metagame. The sets are also not very competitive.
I can see you're going for a mostly offensive type of build, so I will build with that in mind.

1: Pokemon changes

I would suggest that you change these pokemon to the following:
Pidgeot -> Dodrio (1.1)
Mr. Mime -> Grumpig (1.2)
Banette -> Roselia (1.3)

1.1 Dodrio

I suggest you use Dodrio over Pidgeot as Pidgeot is simply not a very good pokemon in PU. Dodrio can threaten many teams and help clean up late game. With this in mind, I would suggest using this Dodrio set:

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thrash
- Frustration
- Knock Off

This Dodrio set can clean up well late game (outspeeding anything not above base 100 speed & scarfed) or it can break walls early game with its high powered stabs.

1.2 Grumpig

Grumpig is chosen over Mr. Mime as it gives your team and answer to Monferno (which should be listed as a threat for your team), a better way to deal with Arbok, and an answer to Rotom-Frost besides Cryogonal. It also brings a much needed taunt Pokemon to your team.

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

This set outspeeds adamant Monferno and retains some bulk to allow you to switch in to certain resisted attacks (Blizzard from Rotom-Frost etc). Colbur berry is chosen over leftovers to allow you to take a sucker punch from Arbok and retaliate with a stab psychic to take it out.

1.3 Roselia

Roselia forms a great defensive core in combination with Relicanth and Cryogonal - whilst giving you a solid answer to threatening water types such as Floatzel and threatening grass types such as Simisage. Roselia's poison typing is also useful to help you deal better with random fairy types (excluding Mr. Mime).

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis

This spread allows you to outspeed jolly Golem (who until now gave your team a world of trouble) and retains maximum bulk to help it check what it needs to check. Modest is chosen to help it hit as hard as possible. Toxic spikes lets you take on stall and hard to break balance cores easier.

2: Changes to existing Pokemon

I would recommend changing the sets for the following remaining Pokemon:
Relicanth (2.1)
Zebstrika (2.2)
Cryogonal (2.3)

These changes will help your team to become more competitive and to realize wins easier.

2.1 Relicanth

While there is nothing majorly wrong with the Relicanth set you have at the moment, I do think it is out of place because of the offensive nature of your team. With this in mind, I would suggest the following change:

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish

This Relicanth spread still checks most of what it used to before whilst functioning as a wall breaker and secondary win condition. It helps Dodrio to clean up easier by weakening walls with its great stabs. Rock head prevents Relicanth from taking recoil damage, meaning you can safely spam head smash. The speed evs let it outspeed Pokemon up to the base 116 speed tier. These evs do not however allow it to outspeed scarf Rotom-Frost, so keep that in mind.

2.2 Zebstrika

Physical Zebstrika is not very good. I would suggest changing it to the special set.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

Hidden power water lets you hit Camerupt, Stunfisk and Golem for super effective damage. Volt switch lets you gain momentum, thunder bolt is great stab and overheat is to hit annoying grass types who come in on your electric type moves. Lightning rod is chosen over any other ability to give you a solid electric immunity which you lack.

2.3 Cryogonal

That Cryogonal set is very weird. I would suggest changing it to the following which will help you with the Rotom-Frost weakness, get rid of rocks, and pressure balanced teams.

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Freeze dry is a great ice stab that has the benefit of hitting water types super-effectively. Rapid spin lets you remove rocks from the field, meaning you don't have to play mind games with magic coat. Recover lets you get back 50% of your health, which is useful in games that go on longer that usual. Hidden power fighting lets you threaten over Cryogonal and break Rotom-Frost's substitute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final thoughts and notes

While I have changed the overall structure of your team; I believe it will fare a lot better now. You are still a bit weak to Stoutland, however if you play correctly and smart - it shouldn't be much of a problem as Relicanth should be able to check it and Dodrio will be able to revenge it after enough damage. The overall strategy of the team should be to help Dodrio clean up late game; although this can change as the matchup differs.
Banette is not very good, please don't use it.

I hope my suggestions have helped you out and given you somewhat of an insight into what competitive sets in PU look like. You should fare a lot better with this team than with your old one and if you have any questions please feel free to ask by replying to this message and I will happily answer and help you.

Bye-bye.

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 92 SpA / 168 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Synthesis

Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Water]
- Overheat
- Volt Switch

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Thrash
- Frustration
- Knock Off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)