Tournament There goes Anything Goes (Finals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fardin

Tournament Banned
There's only so many times you can make a joke before it loses its humorous aspect. :1

I'm pretty sure we hit the limit on the rigging jokes a few pages ago.

Sorry about my tone, still trying to get over the rigging that was round 3, roflmao.

But honestly stop :(
It wasn't a joke tho :/

Fardin

Tournament Banned
Thimo vs Fardin
Fardin vs terrors
terrors vs Thimo

other
sin(pi) vs Qplaz

Let's see how wrong my prediction will turn out.

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
For anyone wondering, game 1 of the Thimo vs. Fardin set is currently underway and both of them brought stall. This has been going on for almost 2 hours now lmao

EDIT: 1000 turns now, still 6-6. oh boi
EDIT 2: Turn 1405, we have a KO!
EDIT 3: 2000 turns now, still 6-5 in Thimo's favour. help.

Last edited:

DoW

formally Death on Wings
There are some who will say that what happened today was atrocious. There are those who will state that this was a crime against nature, that Pokemon simply should not be this way and that this was not AG, not really. They are wrong. I am here to tell you that what we saw today was the epitome of Pokemon, this game we love at its very finest.

First, let me give you some context to this battle. From its beginning, the Anything Goes tier has been about offense. The tier was created so that Mega Rayquaza, an offensive Pokemon like none other, would have a place to reside, and the ability to spam mons such as Arceus, Darkrai, and Xerneas have meant that stall was long considered impossible. Teams would consist of 6 Rayquazas, 6 Klefkis, 5 Arceus and a Mega Ray, or so on. As the metagame evolved, stall was tried out, and found merely to be usable as a counter-team to certain threats, although it still lost instantly to certain Pokemon, such as Mega Gengar, dependent on the exact team. Later still, stall was considered a viable tactic, useful against some things such as Arceus-spam, but still very much sub par compared to balanced or offensive teams. Still, the variety of the tier was undoubtedly expanding. Teams were no longer 5 Arceus and a Mega Rayquaza.

But then came the There Goes Anything Goes tournament. Many strong players from across the Other Metagames community came to try out their luck, with practically everyone who was anyone within the Anything Goes community joining. As is always the case in AG, many lost earlier than they'd hoped, falling to hax or blunders or - in some notable games - losing to a well-built stall team. Some even whispered behind closed doors that the age of offense within the tier was over, that stall was even the better of the playstyles.

There will always be those who think that anything modern and unknown is bad. And certainly here, there are those who think that this wonderful tier of ours, in which games between two strong players can last 12 turns, who think that the idea of simply waiting for your opponent to be KO'd is a monstrosity. Certainly, watching this game between two titans within the AG Stall world, Fardin and Thimo, I must concede that counter-position is hard to defend. But let me explain exactly why this game was, in my opinion, the best game of Pokemon to have occurred this year.

When the game started, it was clear that this would be a first, and that a number of things could possibly happen. Thimo tried his first tactic - to win with Darkrai. Certainly, Darkrai was the only Pokemon that looked as though it could win the game, or at the very least win it quickly. However, Fardin's team was well-built to withstand the common stallbreaker, and eventually the Pokemon had run out of pp; all but useless now, with not so much as a single KO to its name. Both sides moved on to simply switching, occasionally using Will-o-Wisp in the vague hope of making the opposing team run out of Aromatherapy pp and thus giving a slight possibility of winning.

Fardin at this point came to a reasonable conclusion: That neither side possessed the ability to deal significant damage to its opponent, and that therefore this game would become a competition not in terms of tactics or Pokemon, but in human endurance. Indeed, in an infamous recent game played between ABR and tele, the former had won simply due to the latter having an IRL appointment and thus having no option but to forfeit the game. As such, he made the tactical blunder of watching Netflix at the same time, paying less attention than perhaps was strictly necessary to the game. To Thimo, however, the game wasn't over yet.

Under the guise of still attempting Aromatherapy pp stall, he slowly, carefully tested Fardin's defences. He found how Fardin would react to each move, how he would play in each situation. And, with the help of Fardin's Netflix, lulled him into a false sense of security. And then, a mere one thousand two hundred turns or so into the game, he struck. Clefable's Moonblast struck true, knocking down Sableye's health to a mere 48%. He'd been paying attention, and Sableye only had two Recovers remaining. The game went on - for maybe a dozen turns, then Thimo struck at his opponent once again, Sableye left on a ragged 3% before it had the chance to regain its health! A few more turns, and - BAM! Fardin had been concentrating on his Sableye, and Thimo had taken the opportunity to strike down his opponent's Shedinja! It wasn't over yet, perhaps, as Fardin could take the opportunity to heal his Sableye once again, but a hole in his defences was there, nonetheless.

And now the tone was set for the next thousand moves. Thimo's Darkrai struck by Toxic, now even less useful than before. Fardin's Sableye struck again, only to be healed by Clefable's Wish! The plays were slow, and to an observer who had been there a mere hundred or two hundred turns, it may look as though it were a stalemate. But all was still to play for.

As I write, the game nears its two thousandth turn, with eleven Pokemon remaining on the field. And I ask you this, those who say this game is ridiculous, that it's boring, that it goes against the meaning of Pokemon. I ask you this: Who among you would have played beyond turn 500, rather than forfeit and go about the rest of your day undoubtedly doing something more fulfilling? Who among you would have had the mental steel to keep playing even at turn 1000, knowing that the idea of pp-stalling Aromatherapy wasn't going to work, and that simply requesting that the game be called a tie would probably have worked? And let me ask you this. Who among you could possibly have had the idea, that brilliance and bravery, to decide on a tactic that would take over four thousand turns to play out, and not to move too early and squander the opportunity or too late and make a misplay yourself? Who among you can say you are capable of what these players did?

Certainly what happens here is a thing of tactics. Undoubtedly, it is a thing of ambition, that will to win even without knowing that it's possible. And I maintain that this game, this two-thousand-plus turn game that would have many bored out of their minds, is a thing of beauty. That two humans who strive to be the best will go to such great lengths to acheive it, I believe, is the very essence, not of Pokemon, but of the spirit that Pokemon can only try to capture: this human will and endurance that defines our species. And that, friends, is why this is the greatest game of Pokemon I have ever experienced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)